ADVERTISEMENT

Next jersey in the Rupp rafters?

SemperFiCat

All-American
Mar 2, 2009
Central Indy
Who is the next jersey retired in Rupp?

After Cal is done, how long do you think UK waits? Would they do it during his final home game if it was a farewell tour kinda deal?

Is Anthony Davis retired yet? I can't recall.

Outside of that, I don't really see anyone that's come even close to deserving it with the possible exception of Oscar Tshiebwe for getting NPOY.

Reactions: MbergCat
Is Anthony Davis retired yet? I can't recall.

Outside of that, I don't really see anyone that's come even close to deserving it with the possible exception of Oscar Tshiebwe for getting NPOY.
I think you have to have graduated or earned a degree or something to qualify, so not sure how many of the O&D's will ever see their jerseys up there. Didn't John Wall finish his degree in the summers? I think I recall him doing that while he was rehabbing from one of his injuries, but I could be mistaken.

Last edited:
Reactions: EliteBlue
I think you have to have graduated or earned a degree or something to qualify, so not sure how many of the O7D's will ever see their jerseys up there. Didn't John Wall finish his degree in the summers? I think I recall him doing that while he was rehabbing from one of his injuries, but I could be mistaken.
It would be so UK to deny an Anthony Davis a place in the rafters (Being an AA and a NPOY) just because he doesn’t have a degree. Ridiculous.

I think you have to have graduated or earned a degree or something to qualify, so not sure how many of the O7D's will ever see their jerseys up there. Didn't John Wall finish his degree in the summers? I think I recall him doing that while he was rehabbing from one of his injuries, but I could be mistaken.
That is not a requirement. AD will be in the rafters.

Prince is the next one up imo

Too many haven't been and it's been way too long at this point. I'm good with any of these-

Turner
Mohammed
Magloire
Hayes
Prince
Rondo
Wall
Patterson
Davis
Towns
Booker

I've left quite a few out, too.

A NPOY year should automatically have their jersey put into the rafters. Other criteria can be debated.

But if you are good enough to be voted the best player in the country, you should be good enough to get your jersey hung.

the most recent player left 28 years ago. there have been a lot of great players since then and even some before then who are deserving!

turpin
chapman
mercer
sheppard
prince
bogans
hayes
meeks

and that's not even getting to the cal era

Bogans, Prince, Wall, Davis, Oscar….there are plenty who are deserving. UK needs to get this nonsense figured out and expedited. Prince and Bogans were here over 20 years ago and they still can’t get their jerseys retired. Come on

Too many haven't been and it's been way too long at this point. I'm good with any of these-

Turner
Mohammed
Magloire
Hayes
Prince
Rondo
Wall
Patterson
Davis
Towns
Booker

I've left quite a few out, too.
I'm good with Hayes and Prince. They had HEART!

Reactions: Girthang
UK's process for jersey retirements is asinine.

Purdue retired Edey's jersey over the weekend. Yet, here we sit still waiting for Tayshaun's 50 year waiting period to be over to get his in the rafters.
Some would say Purdue’s is asinine.

the most recent player left 28 years ago. there have been a lot of great players since then and even some before then who are deserving!

turpin
chapman
mercer
sheppard
prince
bogans
hayes
meeks

and that's not even getting to the cal era
Whoa, forgot about Turpin, RIP. He's first IMO unless there's some older greats missed. Definitely Rex at some point, even with his significant character issues. Both players put UKBB on their shoulders for a couple of seasons. Agree that it's hard to put in Cal's one and dones other than AD and maybe MKG.

I dont think any one year player should ever be in the Rafters, unless they also become president of the United States and are Republican
I would have agreed 20 years ago, if such a thing had existed but not today. No one from the OAD era will ever get their jersey in the rafters if that remains the standard. College Basketball is not the same game today it was even 5 years ago. Your best players are by definition not going to remain in school 4 years. I would debate if they need a degree in their lives or not.

Reactions: KENTUCKY_FLYER
A NPOY year should automatically have their jersey put into the rafters. Other criteria can be debated.

But if you are good enough to be voted the best player in the country, you should be good enough to get your jersey hung.
I’d go as far as saying an unanimous NPOY should have their jersey hung the next home game after winning it. I agree, it should be an autobid

I would have to take that into consideration. But to me the rafters have to mean the player was in love with Kentucky. Im just not sure OAD's spend enough time at Kentucky to really love Kentucky like a Macy or Givens,
Certainly can't argue that. But times change...unfortunately.

Now, I'm heading out to the neighbor's kids' basketball goal, dry my hands on my socks, and shoot some free throws.

I would have to take that into consideration. But to me the rafters have to mean the player was in love with Kentucky. Im just not sure OAD's spend enough time at Kentucky to really love Kentucky like a Macy or Givens,
I’d absolutely put a guy like Davis up there- NPOY and title is more than enough for me. Maybe even a guy like Wall, since he helped to kickstart UK again.

But onds like Cousins, Booker, Fox, etc. I probably wouldn’t put them up. As much as a liked and enjoyed them, not sure they really meet the criteria.

Macy transferred in but he Bled some hardcore Blue. DA was another one, if he hadn't got injured we win the 97 title and DA is in the rafters even though he was a transfer from Ohio St

Prince should absolutely be next and it should be done ASAP. God forbid anything should happen to Tayshaun but, UK waited too long on Pratt and he didn't get to see it happen. That was a terrible slight IMO.
Then Bogans and it shouldn't take another 10 years either.

If everyone goes up there with no criteria it cheapens the honor.

If we are relying on the national media and a piece of paper as criteria, then "the honor" is meaningless. Everything about this sport has changed many times over before and since the last player's banner was hung up there. This ain't the 50s anymore. They've been buying and selling athletes since the 60s. Times, the media, and college athletics have changed

Last edited:
Prince , Bogans and AD are the three in my opinion. MAYBE you could argue wall because of what he meant.
Those are the 4 imo. I think Oscar will go in after those 4. All 4 are already in the UK Athletics HOF, which is the first step.

ADVERTISEMENT

Latest posts

ADVERTISEMENT