ADVERTISEMENT

Is it realistic to hope for 10/7 out of Bradshaw?

With 11.9 seconds left and the other team desperately fouling, yes he does.

Bradshaw shot 38 for 51 in his final year of HS basketball. Which is just shy of 75%.

He's a perfectly capable free throw shooter, and with numbers like that, from a 7 footer, there's no need to take him off the court.

Reactions: Midway Cat and BBUK
The HS/AAU scouting reports would show that Aaron is perfectly capable of making his free throws, so any coaching staff would figure he's fine to keep in the game. Once again, he's no where near Shaq levels of bad free throw shooting lmfao.

He's played like 3 games, maybe the college game has him shook and he turns into a poor FT shooter.. but there's no way of knowing that after only 3 games and no reason to think it will happen based on his HS stats.

Cal made the correct call to leave him in the game, and he happened to go 2-4. This isn't some giant Cal screw up that you desperately want to make it out to be.

Bradshaw shot 38 for 51 in his final year of HS basketball. Which is just shy of 75%.

He's a perfectly capable free throw shooter, and with numbers like that, from a 7 footer, there's no need to take him off the court.
That's fine. Maybe we shouldn't pay attention to their stats this year at all, and just start whoever was the best in high school. That's an AWESOME way to run a lineup. Got any more genius ideas, Einstein?

Reactions: KFuqua
He hit the free throw that one the game plus you needed his size and soft hands to insure the ball gets into play when all other options are covered.
We are fortunate he hit the one he did, although we still had a time out to spare. He saved us big time on the mitchell 3pt air ball!

Last edited:
That's fine. Maybe we shouldn't pay attention to their stats this year at all, and just start whoever was the best in high school. That's an AWESOME way to run a lineup. Got any more genius ideas, Einstein?

Yeah, for you to go root for someone else. You and guys like UKjennings never shut the **** up about Cal. You're weirdly obsessed trying to fabricate things he does wrong.

Please, just go root for Duke, or literally anyone else.

Bradshaw played 2 games before UNC and he was 3 for 6.. in his first ever college games.. after being a 75% free throw shooter in HS. For the last time, there wasnt/isn't some glaring weakness in his ability to make free throws. He's clearly been making them at a higher clip than the majority of other 7 foot centers.

The right play was to keep him in (or if we must, someone like Tre and Adou), use his size to help even get the ball inbounded and not have a TO, and hope that he can at least hit a few free throws, which he did.

I could also make another argument that Bradshaw needs this experience. I would not have liked it if he missed ALL his free throws and we lose, but that was very likely not going to happen. And instead, we put him a pressure cooker situation, late in the game, which he will need to be accustomed to come March.

Mountains of of mole hills, people..

Reactions: Midway Cat
Still gotta put 5 on the floor that can nail their FTs. That’s day one shit. You can always sub your big back in during the FTs.
You only sub like that when you need either a 3 or you have one player is a great defender and can’t score at all or great offensive player in foul trouble. You have a 7 footer in there to throw to so the defense can’t get to them. And to be fair Bradshaw FT shooting was at that time a very limited sample data. Even now it is not fully clear. It’s going to go up or down.

Reactions: LineSkiCat14
There is nothing "hating" by saying that Cal is not a good in-game coach. He's not. He wins when he can out-talent the other team. That's not disputable. Most coaches do everything they can to win close games, and at the end of the game if you're leading that means you put in the guys who hit free throws well AND shoot well. That's not Cal. "Hate" is a very strong word that does not belong on this forum.
It is hating when the thread was about Aaron Bradshaw having good stat numbers. And it got highjacked to Cal can’t coach.

I think that is realistic. He is going to get better as the season progresses.
I think so as well. It felt like he took a step back against Louisville but maybe part of that was Huntley-Hatfield played so well (was Louisville's best player by far I thought). Bradshaw looked great against UNC so it's clear that the potential is there and we need him in the lineup for major minutes for the rim protection.

I think so as well. It felt like he took a step back against Louisville but maybe part of that was Huntley-Hatfield played so well (was Louisville's best player by far I thought). Bradshaw looked great against UNC so it's clear that the potential is there and we need him in the lineup for major minutes for the rim protection.
I think you are right 100% on this one. Also if by some miracle Z can get eligible, and then up to game speed we have 3 7 footers 2 of which can play out plus Mitchell and Thiero. That’s an incredible front court that would be paired with arguably the best back courts in the nation.

You only sub like that when you need either a 3 or you have one player is a great defender and can’t score at all or great offensive player in foul trouble. You have a 7 footer in there to throw to so the defense can’t get to them. And to be fair Bradshaw FT shooting was at that time a very limited sample data. Even now it is not fully clear. It’s going to go up or down.
lol you can sub like that for any type of strategic maneuvering. It isn’t just limited to whether you need a 3 or a good defender in the game. Is there some rule on this that nobody knows about? 😆

He’s proven to be bad from the line.

I don't see it that way. Yeah, 54+% from the line is poor but he's getting under three FT a game right now and making just under 2 of them. (A hard fraction to conquer at that amount.) Also, he is hitting 66.7% on three pointers but averaging less than one attempt a game. The shooting is there, let the numbers expand before proclaiming he is a proven bad free throw shooter. Give da brudder a chance... (Saw several claim he'd never play for UK.... so...)

Da "bentafit" of the doubt....

giphy.gif

Last edited:
Reactions: bigbluelou
I mean that’s kinda true. That’s not true every year, however. This isn’t Cal’s first time in doing this bonehead move. He’s pulled it off several times before. No, I can’t name particular instances, I just remember him doing it and it makes me livid.
Of course he has, especially when he played multiple big men. He would leave a lot of our guys in who were known to clank FT’s because he’s never taken them very serious, which is crazy considering a team cost him a National Title for that reason.

I’m hoping he can give us 10/10 on avg. along with a few blocks.
You guys need to temper your expectations. He isn’t AD. He’s a much less finished product. He may have games where he gives us those numbers but more realistically it will be less.

From now through the end of the season? Would that be enough for us to get back to the F4, assuming everything else stays on track?
Well honestly if Big Z is aloud to play and we are splitting time with 3 7footers as well as some situational small ball with Mitchell at the 5 10 and 7 would be very impressive

Reactions: bigbluelou
ADVERTISEMENT
ADVERTISEMENT