ADVERTISEMENT

Is Beau Allen the missing piece?

cathouse

All-SEC
Dec 30, 2002
For the past two years we have had SEC level athletes on both sides of the line of scrimmage. We have been a play here or there away from taking that next step up in the SEC where we compete for the championship.

The one position that has been deficient for us as compared to the Big 3 in the SEC has been QB. I know Wide Receivers have also been suspect but without a top level QB it is truly difficult to evaluate the wide receivers.

Beau Allen may be that top level talent QB that can get us to the SEC championship game and beyond.
Super excited about the committment from this kid today. What say you??

I hope Terry turns out to be a great SEC QB but you will have to admit his play last year was abysmal in some of our games, especially his inability to pass the ball with any consistency.
He will have to improve his passing skills and his decision making to become a top QB in this league. I sure hope he does.

Last edited:
looks kinda slow honestly. Looks kinda shy too when looking like a hit is coming strong.

For the past two years we have had SEC level athletes on both sides of the line of scrimmage. We have been a play here or there away from taking that next step up in the SEC where we compete for the championship.

The one position that has been deficient for us as compared to the Big 3 in the SEC has been QB. I know Wide Receivers have also been suspect but without a top level QB it is truly difficult to evaluate the wide receivers.

Beau Allen may be that top level talent QB that can get us to the SEC championship game and beyond.
Super excited about the committment from this kid today. What say you??
That puts way to much pressure on Allen, way too soon. The mistake that gets made here almost every year is to invest excessive expectations in new players. Then, when a player isn’t immediately an All American, some of our fans throw him under the bus. Allen is a good prospect and I am glad he picked UK. But Morgan Newton, Patrick Towles, and Drew Barker were rated higher. So let’s give him a chance and be patient.

Allen is coming in behind Amani Gilmore and Nik Scalzo. Scalzo has size and injuries going against him, but he played at a high level of in Ft Lauderdale. Gilmore is a multisport athlete who looks to me like a potential starter sometime during his UK career. But you never know how health, maturity, and the learning curve will play out.

Beau Allen has three big factors going in his favor here. He is a coach’s son, he will play behind a solid OL, and it will be strongly in Gran’s and Hinshaw’s interests for him to be successful. He is another solid player in another solid recruiting class, and it’s great that he wants to be here. If he wins the starting job, that will be very exciting and we can just hope that our fans will support him while he learns.

If this kid can read a defense, go through his progressions, and consistently hit a 15 yard out pass he will be a significant upgrade over what we have seen for the past 3 years. That will be an improvement.
UK football fans are certainly impatient. :grimace:

Reactions: *Bleedingblue*
Come on down K. Branham we got somebody that can toss you the ball now..
Welcome BEAU
GO BIG BLUE

Reactions: Ky grandpa
Well....he's a highly recruited 4 star drop.back passer going to a team that relies on quarterback mobility.

So I guess we see in two or three years.

If this kid can read a defense, go through his progressions, and consistently hit a 15 yard out pass he will be a significant upgrade over what we have seen for the past 3 years. That will be an improvement.
Well, watching his tape, his OL sure gave him plenty of time to go through his progressions in high school. Color me a little skeptical....he looks like a better version of Reese Phillips, which isn't a bad thing. He's got upside for sure.

I hope Terry turns out to be a great SEC QB but you will have to admit his play last year was abysmal in some of our games, especially his inability to pass the ball with any consistency.
He will have to improve his passing skills and his decision making to become a top QB in this league. I sure hope he does.
I remember skittest UK fans saying things like this in Andre Woodson and Mike Hartline's So. year.

If he wins the starting job, that will be very exciting and we can just hope that our fans will support him while he learns.

That might be the most sane, balanced and reasonable post I have read on this forum . . . other than my own posts . . . ya’ know.

I remember skittest UK fans saying things like this in Andre Woodson and Mike Hartline's So. year.

X2!

Having a great QB commit also brings in great WR commits as well.

Last season we had a class that was top 20 on D and sub 60 on offense.

Well, watching his tape, his OL sure gave him plenty of time to go through his progressions in high school. Color me a little skeptical....he looks like a better version of Reese Phillips, which isn't a bad thing. He's got upside for sure.
Terrible take all the way around with Reese Phillips.....
1. Reese was a converted WR to QB late in HS...and he did a good bit with his feet.
2. Reese was never an accurate QB
3. Reese's other offers were MTSU and maybe Vandy....hard to tell

- Allen is an over accurate QB prospect....and very high knowledge of the position.
- Allen also was offered by UGA, West Va, Michigan....

About the only similarity is they are both 6'ish and neither have elite arm strength....that is about all they have in common.

How long would it take you to succeed with a job promotion to an executive level where you had the ability for the position, but not the experience? How long would the board and executive staff give you?

How long would it take you to succeed with a job promotion to an executive level where you had the ability for the position, but not the experience? How long would the board and executive staff give you?
How would you know if you had the ability if you have never shown it when it counts?
At some point, any organization will cut its losses and move on.
TW is not an inexperienced QB. He has enough college experience that he has had opportunities to show his abilities.
That is not to say he can't or won't improve. How many QB's have we seen dramatic improvement in over the past 5 years?

Ignorant comment, and disrespect to our starting quarterback. You will be eating crow.

Reactions: Levibooty
Don't sleep on Terry. He's as talented as any QB we've had, it's a matter of getting it out of him. Beau should/will be great here in a couple years.
It has been said many times by people in the know now Terry struggled midseason bc of a knee injury and ass on the line was not playing as well as earlier in year.
Terry looked great against Florida and I think that was his second game after playing juco.
All recent Kentucky Qb’s ..Woodson , Hartline etc got better with experience.
Terry will be a huge part of this years team.

Reactions: Levibooty
At least thank him for the super star play against Florida and helping to end that embarrassing losing streak that was a huge negative weight hanging around the football programs neck.

As I posted earlier.. was also mentioned on Tom Leach’s show this morning. Terry played with knee injury towards middle of season. That may have contributed too poor play.

I think he is a fine looking prospect. I don't think he is elite, but not on the elite level of a Tua or Lawrence, but only about 1 of those a year. His success will depend on how quick the game slows down for him, how quick he can read a defense, run through his progressions and accuracy. I do think UK will have to alter the offense to fit his skills for him to reach his potential.

Reactions: Littlefeller
Ignorant comment, and disrespect to our starting quarterback. You will be eating crow.
Hey bud, I am a huge Terry Wilson fan. What he did at Florida was pretty miraculous. Not taking anything away from this young man's heart and desire to win.
That being said, you are the one being ignorant if you don't acknowledge that THE COACHING STAFF had to take away the reads on half the field last year to simplify the offense for TW.
I am looking for and hoping for a dramatic improvement in his game this year.
I am also hoping Beau Allen will be an upgrade in QB recruits that we have seen over the past 5 years.
We WILL need a replacement for TW in 2 years or less.
I guess I am just ignorant enough to not want it to take 3 years to develop another decent qb.
It is obvious that there are some freshmen QBs who can come in and start right away for NC contenders like Alabama and Clemson, but I guess that doesn't apply to us because we are KY. SMH.

Getting Beau is important because he’s from Kentucky. He’s a 4* rated QB in our home state. That’s important to be able to keep him. If he turns out to be a really good QB for us that’s a bonus. He’s not a savior or anything like that. Our program no longer needs to have a savior. I just hope he turns out to be a really good college QB.

Reactions: kev69
I think he is a fine looking prospect. I don't think he is elite, but not on the elite level of a Tua or Lawrence, but only about 1 of those a year. His success will depend on how quick the game slows down for him, how quick he can read a defense, run through his progressions and accuracy. I do think UK will have to alter the offense to fit his skills for him to reach his potential.
I have not seen the kid play, only highlights and you know how those are. Just hoping he is a cut above some of the overhyped QBs we have signed in the past. I do like his poise in the pocket and seems to have the arm talent to make most of the throws. No Tim Couch but better looking prospect than most that we have been able to sign out of high school recently.

Getting Beau is important because he’s from Kentucky. He’s a 4* rated QB in our home state. That’s important to be able to keep him. If he turns out to be a really good QB for us that’s a bonus. He’s not a savior or anything like that. Our program no longer needs to have a savior. I just hope he turns out to be a really good college QB.
Getting Beau is important because he has the size and skills of an SEC QB. He does not have the experience of an SEC QB yet, but that will come eventually if he is as good as his ratings and headlines say he is. Scalzo and Gilmore will have something to say about that, even though they are not from the state. Where Allen is from is important to the home crowd, but not to the players who will play alongside him in Kentucky’s lineup. Most of them are not from the state.

Final analysis, the goal is to win. As long as we win, most people with a functioning brain will be happy with the lineup.

Allen's commit is probably larger because of being a four star QB.....and coming to UK.
We have no idea how this will work. Towles and Barker were supposed to be the keys, but the TRUE secret of success was a once in decades defense.
Gonna be interesting, that's for sure.

Reactions: Samurai Cat
Getting Beau is important because he has the size and skills of an SEC QB. He does not have the experience of an SEC QB yet, but that will come eventually if he is as good as his ratings and headlines say he is. Scalzo and Gilmore will have something to say about that, even though they are not from the state. Where Allen is from is important to the home crowd, but not to the players who will play alongside him in Kentucky’s lineup. Most of them are not from the state.

Final analysis, the goal is to win. As long as we win, most people with a functioning brain will be happy with the lineup.
This...i think Gilmore is going to be a Benny Snell type surprise.

Reactions: Samurai Cat
There is a lot to be said for Allen and he projects to have a good chance of being successful here, but I would caution people to the fact that the odds are against any QB coming in and being a star in the SEC. What is being said about Allen now was said about Drew Barker a few years ago also. Many QBs that make the "Elite 11" Camp every year, never wind up starting on a team.

To me the good news isn't just Allen, rather it's that we now have 3 young guns counting the two freshmen this year, and any one of whom might become a formidable starter here in the future. The more you have the greater you put the odds in your favor. Hopefully we won't get caught short handed again like we have in the past - that's the important thing.

There is a lot to be said for Allen and he projects to have a good chance of being successful here, but I would caution people to the fact that the odds are against any QB coming in and being a star in the SEC. What is being said about Allen now was said about Drew Barker a few years ago also. Many QBs that make the "Elite 11" Camp every year, never wind up starting on a team.

To me the good news isn't just Allen, rather it's that we now have 3 young guns counting the two freshmen this year, and any one of whom might become a formidable starter here in the future. The more you have the greater you put the odds in your favor. Hopefully we won't get caught short handed again like we have in the past - that's the important thing.
A lot of not getting caught short handed has to do with keeping people healthy. Moving forward that's one area where hopefully UK can benefit with improved recruiting/development. Don't forget that for about a 10 year period post-Hartline EVERY UK QB missed significant PT at one time or another due to injuries. Chalk that up to bad luck and bad OLs.

To be a pocket passer in this offense, you have to be accurate, as in pinpoint accurate, an attribute Barker never possessed. You also have to use touch for TE seam passes, flat passes, screens to WR and RB, something Barker did not have.

Allen has tremendous touch on his passes and understands the importance of hitting receivers in stride with a catchable ball, don't estimate the value of that at the college level. Gran's passing offense does not require a howitzer, it requires accuracy and timing.

Wilson, Scalzo, Gilmore....now Allen.
Wilson will have the reigns, then likely four more competing.
Cats will end up with two...transfers, etc in today's game.

Question will be which two.

Reactions: sluggercatfan
Beau Allen is the real deal. The game plays out in slow motion for him. Not a running QB, but is an effective runner when flushed out of the pocket.

Biggest asset is that he has great composure in the pocket and always keeps his eyes downfield. Mechanically, he is very sound. Extremely accurate.

I would expect him to redshirt, if Wilson does not get injured, and then compete for the starting position as a RS Freshmen.

ADVERTISEMENT
ADVERTISEMENT