ADVERTISEMENT

My Favorite Portal Addition: Beau Allen

The-Hack

All-American
Oct 1, 2016
Sure, we have a 5 Star QB who will start.

And a collegiate AA at LB from UGA.

But with NIL and transfer portal rules, how many teams sport a second team QB who is old enough to shave, and has thrown for several thousand yards?

The last game I saw BA play in was at Louisville in 2021, and he looked very competent. He moved down a notch or two and was very successful in Texas.

Should our starter go down for a few plays or a game or two, Beau Allen can come into the game, without looking like a deer blinded by the headlights.

And I think our coaches will trust him to run the whole playbook.

First time in the Stoops era where we figure to have an elite starter an and experienced talented backup.
Forgotten by many: Beau has wheels.

He ain’t Lynn Bowden, but he can run if he must.

Sure, if VG stays healthy, Beau will be limited, but we’ll be in better shape if we need our starter to rest/heal for a game, ala USCe 2022.

I’d rather have Beau and not need him, than need Beau and not have him!!

Absolutely huge.

If we've learned one thing in football this year whether it's CFB or NFL, you better have a backup QB who's ready.

Beau is 5 years in, he'll be one of the oldest guys on the team. He knows the campus, facilities, staff, players, system. He actually has some real playing time under his belt from Tarleton. He also has some snaps at Kroger field.

If he has to go in, regardless of talent level or arm, nothing is going to be new or overwhelming to him.

In the event of a blowout (unlikely), and in the event that the staff decides to let a back-up QB get some valuable reps (also unlikely), wouldn’t you give Cutter those reps? After all, the biggest critique of this staff is their inability to develop a QB. How will Cutter develop if Beau Allen gets the game reps? I expect the staff to botch the situation

Absolutely huge.

If we've learned one thing in football this year whether it's CFB or NFL, you better have a backup QB who's ready.

Beau is 5 years in, he'll be one of the oldest guys on the team. He knows the campus, facilities, staff, players, system. He actually has some real playing time under his belt from Tarleton. He also has some snaps at Kroger field.

If he has to go in, regardless of talent level or arm, nothing is going to be new or overwhelming to him.
Just like some of the local kids we've had come through on the basketball side that were bit players but eventually got a day to shine and hand their memories on, I think Beau may have a day or moment like that coming. Would be great for him and the family.

Had not seen that, that's a surprise.
If there is one to give after everything shakes out I’m sure he will get the first one available. They usually add two for walk ons after everything is finished. Cole Lanter got one last year I believe

Sure, we have a 5 Star QB who will start.

And a collegiate AA at LB from UGA.

But with NIL and transfer portal rules, how many teams sport a second team QB who is old enough to shave, and has thrown for several thousand yards?

The last game I saw BA play in was at Louisville in 2021, and he looked very competent. He moved down a notch or two and was very successful in Texas.

Should our starter go down for a few plays or a game or two, Beau Allen can come into the game, without looking like a deer blinded by the headlights.

And I think our coaches will trust him to run the whole playbook.

I expect Cutter Boley and-or Deuce Hogan to make progress toward winning the #2 QB role this spring. I doubt Allen can compete with those two guys, although it will be good news if he can. Allen hasn't played at all in a year and is likely to be emergency depth.

Favorite inbound transfer has to be Vandagriff simply because he makes the difference between a competitive versus a noncompetitive season for us. Beyond that, getting Pop Dumas-Johnson is remarkable. I suspect Maclin is also going to have a big impact.

It's the first time I can recall having even a serviceable backup in some time, so I'm happy about it.
We have actually had some decent ones in the Stoops era:

2021 - Beau Allen as a sophomore
2019 - Sawyer Smith
2017 - Drew Barker
2016 - Stephen Johnson - love that guy!
2015 - Drew Barker
2013 - Jalen Whitlow/Maxwell Smith - both guys played a decent amount of snaps

The last 2 years have just been historically bad in terms of backups. Overall, we have had some decent guys though.

Reactions: STL_Cat

2019 - Sawyer Smith
2017 - Drew Barker
2015 - Drew Barker

The last 2 years have just been historically bad in terms of backups. Overall, we have had some decent guys though.
You make a really good point. The last 2 seasons I had such a sense of dread (which was confirmed by how much/little faith the staff had in Sheron in the South Carolina loss, and then the total disaster that was Destin Wade in the Music City Bowl ...) about what was going to become of our team if the starting QB went down. I guess the last 2 seasons really have been it without a serviceable backup but it felt so dire it seems like it lasted longer than 2 seasons.

Nonetheless I'm really happy to have Beau back. God forbid something happens to Vandagriff, we know Beau can at least come in and manage a football game.

Reactions: The-Hack
I think Vandergriff can be a pretty good collegecQB, but he has not taken a snap that mattered in a game. He is there to start and he could be Tim Couch all or he could be a bust. But he is far from being a proven SEC level starter. JDJ on the other hand made UK better the day he signed. Those 5* from HS don't mean much in SEC, we both have had enough that didn't do alot.

I think Vandergriff can be a pretty good collegecQB, but he has not taken a snap that mattered in a game. He is there to start and he could be Tim Couch all or he could be a bust. But he is far from being a proven SEC level starter. JDJ on the other hand made UK better the day he signed. Those 5* from HS don't mean much in SEC, we both have had enough that didn't do alot.
Odds are he’ll be something in between those two. Chances are best that he’ll be good enough to keep the starting job, but not great.

Reactions: The-Hack

2019 - Sawyer Smith
2017 - Drew Barker
2015 - Drew Barker

Am I crazy in that I don't remember Drew Barker being as "serviceable" as some people on here say he was? I can only recall him playing well once, and we lost, to a FBS team.

Reactions: STL_Cat
Am I crazy in that I don't remember Drew Barker being as "serviceable" as some people on here say he was? I can only recall him playing well once, and we lost, to a FBS team.
The only real memory I have of Drew Barker here was a security feed of him getting punched in the face at a bar.

Reactions: bthaunert

I would say he was serviceable. He wasn’t great, but I don’t think he was terrible. He got thrown to the wolves his freshman year. He was 1-1 as a starter his freshman year losing to UL and beating Charlotte. His sophomore year, he was 1-1 to start the season, losing to UF and beating NMSU, and then broke his back early in game 3.

His freshman year, in his 2 starts, he accounted for 2 TD’s (1 pass and 1 rush) and had 2 INT’s.

His sophomore year, in his 2 starts, he threw 4 TD’s and 4 INT’s.

So,,he was “meh”, but he wasn’t terrible.

Had not seen that, that's a surprise.
With NIL he’s not paying his tuition. Plus he will receive all the benefits of a scholarship player. He is just not taking one up. Very selfless play on Allen’s part. Shows his character and his love for BBN

I would say he was serviceable. He wasn’t great, but I don’t think he was terrible. He got thrown to the wolves his freshman year. He was 1-1 as a starter his freshman year losing to UL and beating Charlotte. His sophomore year, he was 1-1 to start the season, losing to UF and beating NMSU, and then broke his back early in game 3.

His freshman year, in his 2 starts, he accounted for 2 TD’s (1 pass and 1 rush) and had 2 INT’s.

His sophomore year, in his 2 starts, he threw 4 TD’s and 4 INT’s.

So,,he was “meh”, but he wasn’t terrible.
I guess I just don't see how Drew Barker was considered a good backup for us while Sheron is "historically bad". If we're honest with ourselves, we have no clue what Sheron is because we barely got to see him play.

I guess I just don't see how Drew Barker was considered a good backup for us while Sheron is "historically bad". If we're honest with ourselves, we have no clue what Sheron is because we barely got to see him play.
That’s a fair analysis. He got the one start and did ok in that. Maybe the fact that Drew Barker was the starter at one point has my memory a little clowded.

Reactions: HeHateMe2328
I expect Cutter Boley and-or Deuce Hogan to make progress toward winning the #2 QB role this spring. I doubt Allen can compete with those two guys, although it will be good news if he can. Allen hasn't played at all in a year and is likely to be emergency depth.

Favorite inbound transfer has to be Vandagriff simply because he makes the difference between a competitive versus a noncompetitive season for us. Beyond that, getting Pop Dumas-Johnson is remarkable. I suspect Maclin is also going to have a big impact.

Cutter Boley isn't remotely close to being ready for SEC football. When I watched him play vs. Christian Academy this season, he definitely has the arm talent and good enough athleticism. But the pass offense he ran at LCA is junk (full of screen passes and throwing it deep, which of course didn't work against CAL). He will need some time to learn everything (i.e. the playbook, how read a defense, etc.) and to get physically mature.

Beau Allen will most likely be the #2 QB when the 2024 season rolls around. He has the experience to at least be serviceable.

Is this his last year of eligibility? Feels nice to have a quality backup for once.

And this right here is the reason getting Beau Allen is huge for next season.

If Vandergriff turns out to be a bust, UK has absolutely no one with any college experience at QB.

BA has at least got QB starter game experience and is familiar with the Coen offense.

Vandergriff has neither of those things.

Last edited:
Reactions: cat888
With NIL he’s not paying his tuition. Plus he will receive all the benefits of a scholarship player. He is just not taking one up. Very selfless play on Allen’s part. Shows his character and his love for BBN
I can't see how it's selfless if he's "not paying tuition" and receiving "all the benefits of a scholarship player"?

In the event of a blowout (unlikely), and in the event that the staff decides to let a back-up QB get some valuable reps (also unlikely), wouldn’t you give Cutter those reps? After all, the biggest critique of this staff is their inability to develop a QB. How will Cutter develop if Beau Allen gets the game reps? I expect the staff to botch the situation
I think the goal would be to preserve Boley’s redshirt year as much as possible. Assume Vandagriff starts for two years that gives Boley a RS year. A year as QB2 then three years as a starter, if he is legitimately the QB of the future here.

Reactions: nickhorvathsuxazz
I think Allen competes as a starter and hope he is good enough to win

ADVERTISEMENT
ADVERTISEMENT