ADVERTISEMENT

Indiana vs. Va Tech

Tskware

All-American
Gold Member
Jan 27, 2003
Before the bowls, lot of chatter on here about how playing Va Tech was a much better opponent, certainly higher national profile. But now that we have seen them both play, who do you think was better? Honestly, IU played better against Tennessee than I expected, especially without their leading rusher. Or maybe UT was not really all that good, But gun to my head, I am not sure whether Virginia Tech was better than Indiana or not, really looked like two equal opponents.

Before the bowls, lot of chatter on here about how playing Va Tech was a much better opponent, certainly higher national profile. But now that we have seen them both play, who do you think was better? Honestly, IU played better against Tennessee than I expected, especially without their leading rusher. Or maybe UT was not really all that good, But gun to my head, I am not sure whether Virginia Tech was better than Indiana or not, really looked like two equal opponents.
Good question,I think Va Tech was a better match-up for us. I would like to see us play IU on a regular basis. The whole UT thing with us is a complete mystery to me,we have had the better team the last two years but just can't play well enough to beat them.What UT does against any other team is not an indicator and has no bearing on how the UK vs UT game plays out.

Indiana though an after thought in Power 5 College Football was a better opponent then VA Tedh this season IMO. Would love too see KY add Indiana back on the football schedule. (Football Home and Home- Basketball Neutral site like the old days RCA Dome- Freedom Hall. Lucas Oil and the Yum would suffice now.

Misc:

IU's pass offense appeared strong at times against UT. I have no idea how they would have handled Kentucky's pass rush or whether our secondary could have caused headaches for them.

I have no idea whether IU's rush defense could have stopped or slowed Bowden and co.

During much of the game, VT moved the ball capably against our defense.

(Duffy would have punted IU into oblivion.)

Regardless of whether IU or VT was superior, VT was clearly no slouch. Solid win by the CATS.

Indiana though an after thought in Power 5 College Football was a better opponent then VA Tedh this season IMO. Would love too see KY add Indiana back on the football schedule. (Football Home and Home- Basketball Neutral site like the old days RCA Dome- Freedom Hall. Lucas Oil and the Yum would suffice now.

No to that. IN fan's suck. But the TomCats in '61 with Larry Conley were awesome. He and Harold Sargent were unstoppable. Back in my HS days. :smiley:

Another stray thought:

Losing to VT would have been disappointing. Losing to IU would have unfairly cost us some credibility with national commentators and opposing recruiters, IMO. Notwithstanding IU's respectable season, the narrative would become, Kentucky's still not any good, they lost to IU.

I was impressed by the IU defense until the last 6:00 of the game. I put that on their coaching staff.

Setting aside all the Bud Foster hype, we handled the VT defense pretty well for the most past.

All in all, I would rate IU & VT roughly equal.

VT & IUsedtobegoodinbasketball would be pretty evenly matched. I would rather play VT 100 times out of 100 for the simple reason that in addition to VT being a far better "name" opponent, it's because I didn't want to hear the the barrage of "basketball schools meeting in a bowl" bullshit that we would have been inundated with had we played them. As far as I'm concerned, the next time we play IUsedtobegoodinbasketball in any sport, it will be too soon.

Misc:

IU's pass offense appeared strong at times against UT. I have no idea how they would have handled Kentucky's pass rush or whether our secondary could have caused headaches for them.

I have no idea whether IU's rush defense could have stopped or slowed Bowden and co.

Regardless of whether IU or VT was superior, VT was clearly no slouch. Solid win by the CATS.

I would feel ok vs IU. That qb can move a little bit but he’s not the ‘mobile’ qb and our d typically does pretty well with that. Our d line this year is big albeit not Uber athletic.

Reactions: Dead Cat Bounce
Another stray thought:

Losing to VT would have been disappointing. Losing to IU would have unfairly cost us some credibility with national commentators and opposing recruiters, IMO. Notwithstanding IU's respectable season, the narrative would become, Kentucky's still not any good, they lost to IU.
I get what you are saying,but the next step for the football program is to be able to line up and play anybody and consistently win 90% the games you are supposed to win( IU,UT and Miss St fall in that category)

I get what you are saying,but the next step for the football program is to be able to line up and play anybody and consistently win 90% the games you are supposed to win( IU,UT and Miss St fall in that category)

I don't disagree at all. I'd like to see UK compete for the SEC East and SEC Championship and have its name tossed around for playoff contention. My point above was not that we should have been scared of Indiana, only that the reputational hit for losing to IU would have been worse. I saw one commentator heckling UT fans for chest-thumping after the Gator Bowl, the commentator's point being, it was only IU. Had UK lost under such conditions, I expect that a lot of what Stoops has built over the last few years would have been discounted. Just a WAG.

I would like to see them play too, only problem is we would have to drop Louisville if we did. There is no way Kentucky is going to play an SEC schedule and an instate rival and border rival.

What is it about Kentucky fans? You don't see UL fans belly-aching about not playing Indiana or even Cinn. I think some Kentucky fans are just natural born pessimistic shitslingers who will never be happy. Cue the "I was just trying to start a conversation." Maybe so but it's a shitty negative crappy conversation IMO.

Bowls seem more on the Brand in certain instances then who you play. UK being an up and coming football program with the stereotype of just a bball school, I think beating 2 Football type brands in back to back years just looks and sounds better. Even if IU is the better team this year. Just say KENTUCKY beat Penn ST and Virginia Tech in back to back bowls out loud. Sounds pretty good for a supposedly bball only Program if you ask me.

Misc:

Yes I thought VT moved the ball on us as well as anyone we’ve played. I think we would have dismantled IU.

IU is a very good football team. What they did with their roster is phenomenal. Many high calibre coaches have studied what IU does in the passing game. As with all lower level teams, you can’t trick up or scheme your way on defense. As such, they lose even though they are a well coached

I'm very happy with our win over VT and am not going to look for any way to belittle our bowl victory or team.
Bowl games and bowl game wins are important to us if we are to get where we want to go.We are a year maybe two away from the college football world taking us seriously.We are closer than we have been in the last 50 or 60 years.String together 2 more 8+ win seasons and they will have to admit UK football is for real.

VT has a bowl streak dating back to 1993. IU has not won a bowl since1991. Yes IU was good.. way better to beat VT in a great game. Beating IU would gave done little for Kentucky. IU has an amazing streak of losing close games ln Q4. Tenn on- side kick was to be expected. Playing IU OOC would be fine but please not in a bowl game.

This is a silly conversation. You get who you get in your bowl game. This year we were matched up with VT. As I understand it, they don't match you with someone in your conference or someone you have played in the regular season.

Maybe if we drop uavel, because there is no need to have an SEC schedule plus 2 OOC power 5 opponents.

VT has a bowl streak dating back to 1993. IU has not won a bowl since1991. Yes IU was good.. way better to beat VT in a great game. Beating IU would gave done little for Kentucky. IU has an amazing streak of losing close games ln Q4. Tenn on- side kick was to be expected. Playing IU OOC would be fine but please not in a bowl game.

I agree and technically we have got a 2-0 win streak vs Quality Football programs and 1 for sure Football Power IMO. The brands we have beat last 2 years just looks better and truly nothing against IU but they are kind of like us right now in big 10. A sterotype IU only school who has put a few quality years together in Big 10. I think if IU were to beat UT it would of been better then them beating us as far as football brands go. UK is coming to kill the bball only sterotype but I think another 2-3 years like these last 2 will help kill it. With Stoops Recruiting it can be done.

I only knew that IU would screw up and let ut win someway. :)

I think that VT has better athletes across the board...

We would have RUN ALL OVER IU in my opinion and would have scored more than 30 pts definitely!

I doubt IU would score more on us than they did against UT, especially since their offense would have been watching from the sideline most of the time.

I believe we'd have beaten IU somewhere around 35-17

Either way, there's no doubt that we're better than both of them.

IU had no wins over winning teams. IU has not had a bowl season for over 20 years. IU lost to a barely bowl-eligible Sparty 6-win team. What motivated this thread?

Was UT’s comeback win over an IU team more respected than the final drive win that UK had against Foster’s defense on New Year’s Eve?

Last edited:
IU had no wins over winning teams. IU has not had a bowl season for over 20 years. IU lost to a barely bowl-eligible Sparty 6-win team. What motivated this thread?

Was UT’s comeback win over an IU team more respected than the final drive win that UK had against Foster’s defense on New Year’s Eve?
Good post. I agree. Nonsense post to begin with.

ADVERTISEMENT
ADVERTISEMENT