ADVERTISEMENT

I'm More Apt to Think Cal is Motivated to Dampen Coach K's Recent Recruiting Success

KYtotheCore

Senior
Jan 5, 2010
Anytown, USA
After all, Cal has been a thorn in K's side since arriving at UK, and K was forced to adapt to Cal's style. And look how proudly they crow now, when just a few seasons ago the OAD was shameful and inexcusable. K has taken Bobby Knight's title as Chief Hypocrite.

Based on his short history, Cal will now likely tweak something in his recruiting to continue - and expand - his success, leaving Coach K and the gang left once again trying to figure out what the change up was and once again adapt. All of college basketball has had to adapt to Cal's M.O, and it takes a while. Despite K's recent recruiting success, UK still trounced them last season, and has a significantly more-talented team at our disposal again next year. K's new class has to prove to us they have what it takes to get revenge. NOT the other way around.

Last edited:
Reactions: blubo and Bkocats
Cal has shown that each year he has adapted to he's teams strengths. He always seems to work his magic and figure things out. This years team will be another challenge and I can't wait to see it.

Cal has shown that each year he has adapted to he's teams strengths. He always seems to work his magic and figure things out. This years team will be another challenge and I can't wait to see it.
Do you think Cal is Phil Jackson? SMH

Recruiting isn't the reason for the separation.
No recruiting isnt the reason. Thats true. But who cares?

The danger is having an historically great run at UK overshadowed and eclipsed by Duke. Who cares why? Its about the results, and Cal's amazing run is in danger of being topped by Duke.

Ah the Cal can't coach crowd is starting to rear its brain damaged head. Give K the title preemptively, sure, while forgetting that K has lost the title with 5 lottery picks before, including the #1 pick.. It happens to the very best. If you gave Cal (at a big boy school) the last 26 years worth of talent that K has had at Duke, would he have five championships? Probably not, but that just means he's not the GOAT. You all know damn well he'd have at least 3, so maybe go dip into some Tubby or Billy or Joe B film before you next get the urge to complain about the third golden era of UK basketball.

Reactions: blubo
Here's a tweak - figure out how to keep a few of the better players so UK can take advantage of talent development and build some continuity and better teams. Why should a fan care about #1 recruiting classes if those classes leave every year just as the players are starting to "get it"? #1 recruiting classes don't equal #1 teams. Now if you can get some carryover of a few good players who are naturally going to improve to combine with a few top freshmen, then you've really got a system.

Reactions: Montana81
Get used to sharing. Did you think other schools were just going to lay back and watch us basically hand pick the top players while they fight for the leftovers? Not sure what else Cal can tweak recruiting wise.
BTW, I understand what you're saying, and I'm not saying he necessarily has to tweak anything (to be successful). I just don't like having to share now what used to be ours automatically.

Cal doesn't need to do anything about his recruiting. The difference is other programs keep enough of their players around that they have juniors and seniors to go along with their OADs. Cal has 2 more titles IMO if we had that dynamic. But I don't blame Cal for that. You can't have everything, and K is the only one that has better results titles-wise since Cal here, so we just keep doing what we are doing and hope for the best.

Only tweak he can do to keep or get ahead of K would be to recruit guys who are close to OAD but not quite and have them stay for two or three years. That will be very hard due to the success of Cal with preparing guys even none OAD become OAD guys while at UK ala Bledoe and Booker or two and done like Ulis. Being Cal at UK is a gift ( get elite talent) and a curse (guys who are considered elite talent develop into first round guys much earlier than expected or viewed as first rounders due to the Cal/UK effect)

Be prepared to share even more OAD guys once the UNC thing gets situated, although I think that will effect Duke more so than UK

Last edited:
LOL we don't need to change anything . UK gets the best classes every year and we have been in 4 final 4's since 2011. He will win a few more titles before he leaves so I am good with him keepin keeping on . Have the best class this year again. Anytime a player waits til very late to sign it will be a big deal even if he isn't elite . Bolden was in the same talent level as SKJ and the like but because he was the last guy on the board he got the pub. Also the UK v Duke thing got press . But people talk and worry about Duke way too much on this board and it is no different then us making fun of UL fans sweating us . It is not a good look.

Reactions: flash123 and W2R
I'm speechless. Cal recruited more players in May June and July last year than tubby did in ten years

The sky was falling when we missed on mudiay. Ummmmmm that turned out better than anyone could have predicted

The sky was falling when we missed on Newman. That turned out better than expected.

They beat us on Bolden, we beat them on Gabriel. Duke wanted Wenyen - BAD. He even admitted that himself in a tweet Thursday.

I know it wasn't head-to-head with Duke -- but you know NO ONE gave us a chance with Bam. NO ONE.

Now Cal is angry. Would YOU want to recruit against an angry and even MORE motivated Cal?

Think about this: K claims he wants to coach for 5 more years. Cal claims he wants to coach for maybe 15 more. That could be 10 years with no K. You think Cal is scared of Capel if he replaces K? Please. Who would you rather be? We're still competing with Duke and WE have a coach who can go (if he wants to) for another 15+ years. They don't.

They beat us on Bolden, we beat them on Gabriel. Duke wanted Wenyen - BAD. He even admitted that himself in a tweet Thursday.

I know it wasn't head-to-head with Duke -- but you know NO ONE gave us a chance with Bam. NO ONE.

Now Cal is angry. Would YOU want to recruit against an angry and even MORE motivated Cal?

Think about this: K claims he wants to coach for 5 more years. Cal claims he wants to coach for maybe 15 more. That could be 10 years with no K. You think Cal is scared of Capel if he replaces K? Please. Who would you rather be? We're still competing with Duke and WE have a coach who can go (if he wants to) for another 15+ years. They don't.
^ This. I think this motivation will be unmatched by any other coach., including K.

^ This. I think this motivation will be unmatched by any other coach., including K.

It'll be a war this summer/fall for Bamba -- and maybe even Diallo. Those may be the only two that could truly go to either school.

As @ralphdaltonfan reported: it looks like Carter, Trent Jr and Knox may be heavy Duke leans.

UK has some heavy leans of their own.

Then the war will continue in '18 for the Bagley's of the world.

Reactions: KYtotheCore
Coach K has it easy right now....

General perception is, he is basketball god and he's the best thing to ever happen.

It really doesn't matter what Coach Cal does. He'll always have great class, but so well Coach K.

And Coach K doesn't have to lead the charge, he just need to let the media talk about how great he is.

Because he doesn't need to represent anything, he has the ability to keep players too.

No recruiting isnt the reason. Thats true. But who cares?

The danger is having an historically great run at UK overshadowed and eclipsed by Duke. Who cares why? Its about the results, and Cal's amazing run is in danger of being topped by Duke.
And Duke will be an afterthought just like UCLA when Coach K is gone. UK will still be rolling along.

ADVERTISEMENT
ADVERTISEMENT