ADVERTISEMENT

If you think it is bad now, wait to see how this will cripple us for years to come.

MWes11

All-SEC
Apr 22, 2012
Think about it... we are extremely thin and I don't think anyone in their right mind thinks we can make an actual run in the tourney this year, and there is the possibility of missing the tourney all together.

Here comes the fun part... after this year when Wagner, Dillingham, Edwards, Bradshaw, Reeves (who we aren't sure is actually staying this year) and Ugo all declare for the draft, the only players on the roster will be Reed Sheppard and Adou Thiero. I don't see Cal replicating this class and bringing in 3 of the top 10 freshman again, and we know our track record with bringing in top players in the transfer portal. Buckle up, this is just the beginning, unfortunately.

If UK is not able to step up and fully participate in NIL, we will be a mid level SEC team moving forward. Sad reality.

Dont speak for the Cincinnati Kid because I know the talent level of the Fab Five, Ugonna and Thiero.

Think about it... we are extremely thin and I don't think anyone in their right mind thinks we can make an actual run in the tourney this year, and there is the possibility of missing the tourney all together.

Here comes the fun part... after this year when Wagner, Dillingham, Edwards, Bradshaw, Reeves (who we aren't sure is actually staying this year) and Ugo all declare for the draft, the only players on the roster will be Reed Sheppard and Adou Thiero. I don't see Cal replicating this class and bringing in 3 of the top 10 freshman again, and we know our track record with bringing in top players in the transfer portal. Buckle up, this is just the beginning, unfortunately.

If UK is not able to step up and fully participate in NIL, we will be a mid level SEC team moving forward. Sad reality.
Explain fully participating in NIL.
What is our level of participation currently?
Football team is recruiting at historic levels and is doing well in portal.
Does a collective exist that is basketball only?

State of the program:
The clock has struck midnight and someone is missing their slippers...or advocating for a foot washing...

E8gErw4.png

Dont speak for the Cincinnati Kid because I know the talent level of the Fab Five, Ugonna and Thiero.
Geeze I see this dude in every post, what’s with “beard guys” being so weird and intense all the time?

I agree with OPs premise. Right now I think you have a hard time getting transfers because you have so many freshman coming in for guaranteed minutes. What happens next year when it’s just Reed, Adou and a slightly less heralded freshman class coming in? You likely have to make the same guarantees to those freshmen if you’re selling what cal is selling. I don’t see us making hay on transfers in that scenario either, so I’m afraid we’re stuck in a cycle for a least couple years- and that’s a best case scenario.

So Memphis has the #1 recruiting class in the country coming to Graceland?
Noted
We have some highly rated players from a relatively weak class coming in. And one of them has strongly been rumored to be leaving, and is now potentially rumored to be 'injured', bringing up intense flashbacks of recent years with players sitting out for various reasons.

You're fecking dreaming if you think this class can carry the water, much less do well in the tournament..

You just don't understand! The goal here is to have another greatest day in UK history with4 first rounders. All that matters to CCC.

Exactly. If calipari can win 35 in year 1 with mostly freshmen and transfers no reason the new coach can't do something similar.

The issue is mitch. He won't make the right hire IMO
He won that with 2 freshmen that would be NBA all stars and another who was an NBA starter.

Reactions: SemperFiCat
He won that with 2 freshmen that would be NBA all stars and another who was an NBA starter.

He recruited those players and at 18 they aren't what they would become in the NBA. As we know now recruiting is an important part of coaching as calipari has forgotten how to recruit transfers evidently.

With the portal and the small numbers involved, the portal has changed everything. 2-3 guys can change everything , and it’s year by year . You’re better off recruiting in the portal WITHOUT good freshman signed . The ideal scenario is 3-4 holdovers , a couple solid HS recruits and 2-4 proven guys from the portal . We won’t have the HS recruits this time next yr that guys are worried about getting minutes. Not a defense of cal …I’m just saying every year stands on its own

If the wheels fall off this season,look for Cal to burn it to the ground and exit...key will be his class for 2024.Keep an eye on it.
The new coach will have to hit the portal hard and try to put together a team.The right hire can do this regardless if Calipari leaves the cupboard bare.

I've flip flopped on this more times than I can count but I now truly think this is Cal's last year in Lexington.
I think a lot depends on this yr. As much doom and gloom right now as there is , a couple late additions and the freshmen playing well could lead to a good yr ….and there’s guys out there , and there‘s a clear picture of our roster and how many minutes someone could get, etc . Not many schools have 6-7 guys that are ‘really good ‘ …and that’s possible with this group if there’s good additions the next 3 weeks

• Haha
Reactions: UK till Death
I think a lot depends on this yr. As much doom and gloom right now as there is , a couple late additions and the freshmen playing well could lead to a good yr ….and there’s guys out there , and there‘s a clear picture of our roster and how many minutes someone could get, etc . Not many schools have 6-7 guys that are ‘really good ‘ …and that’s possible with this group if there’s good additions the next 3 weeks
Stop. Just stop.

The main problem is the damage he is doing to the UK brand. That's what I've been worried about for years. It's not about the players so much as it will be so much harder for even a top-notch coach committed to college basketball to have the kind of recruiting pull he could have had here prior to about 2018. The longer he stays, the harder it will be for the brand to recover.

Everyone knew this was going to be the case after year one.

Everyone goes pro or transfers as soon as they can so there was likely to be only 1-2 players returning no matter when Cal hangs it up.

However after year one everyone in college basketball assumed Cal would have 2-3 titles at least if he continued the trajectory he was on.

With one title it is a complete failure and disaster and the entire fate of the program may hinge on the next hire.

I think it’s better now though than ever before. A good coach could build a team in a week now that free agency is legal in college.

Reactions: cathouse
I've flip flopped on this more times than I can count but I now truly think this is Cal's last year in Lexington.
When he's gone ... he will be the most despised coach in UK history and that's pretty damn sad considering what Mitch is paying him. He's a total and complete pinheaded carpetbagging clown. He's disgusting. His system pushes his own potentially returning players away b/c Cal's system to totally screwed up. Those of you who defend him cannot be defended yourselves ... if you're a UK fan. Mitch cannot be allowed to unilaterally make the hire for the new coach. There has always been a standard of excellence regarding UK basketball and that standard cannot survive without the same level of excellence rendered by the coaches, AD, Board of Directors, and President. This squarely shines a glaring light on the AD, Board, and President who appear to be scared shitless at the thought of doing their damn jobs.

When he's gone ... he will be the most despised coach in UK history and that's pretty damn sad considering what Mitch is paying him. He's a total and complete pinheaded carpetbagging clown. He's disgusting. His system pushes his own potentially returning players away b/c Cal's system to totally screwed up. Those of you who defend him cannot be defended yourselves ... if you're a UK fan. Mitch cannot be allowed to unilaterally make the hire for the new coach. There has always been a standard of excellence regarding UK basketball and that standard cannot survive without the same level of excellence rendered by the coaches, AD, Board of Directors, and President. This squarely shines a glaring light on the AD, Board, and President who appear to be scared shitless at the thought of doing their damn jobs.

I mean all of the above regarding Calipari is your opinion. I don't find it to be accurate, but everyone is allowed their opinion.

I'm ready for him to move on and barring a National Title next year my view will be his time here was disappointing...and that is it.

Re: Mitch, he didn't even want to hire Cal.

I mean all of the above regarding Calipari is your opinion. I don't find it to be accurate, but everyone is allowed their opinion.

I'm ready for him to move on and barring a National Title next year my view will be his time here was disappointing...and that is it.

Re: Mitch, he didn't even want to hire Cal.
Understood. I appreciate the fact that all of us have our own opinions and you recognize that. Some around here can seem to suggest otherwise. The biggest complaint for me about Cal is his intent to focus on the draft primarily with that strategy to lure recruits. Seemed to have made sense early on, but the reality was that all of them were hell-bent on the exit after one year leaving the program gasping for oxygen each year. With Cal repeating the process each year, next year's incoming class would send returning players down the bench, for the most part, and many chose to transfer or make a bad decision to declare too early. I think the point is that Cal's priority was the draft over the Program and development of players year over year ... new class pushing players out of the program or down the bench. You can't build a sustainable roster to consistently win and you can't, on average, win with freshmen. Cal's system was built on "best-case" scenarios that haven't panned out. He had to know all of this but was in too deep and too stubborn to adjust for the benefit of the Program, despite being paid a great deal of money to be a good steward for the Program. It's not about the kids ... it's about the Program first and what's best for the Program. That is what Cal refuses to acknowledge, and UK has paid a heavy price far greater than his salary. You are correct ... it is just my opinion and thank you for acknowledging as much. We're all entitled to express our opinions which makes for interesting conversation, at times.

Reactions: cathouse
Please don't refer to yourself using a Steve McQueen movie reference. I knew Steve McQueen and you, sir, are no Steve McQueen.
A little off topic but if you knew Steve McQueen, can you tell me the circumstances of his passing? Seems to have always been some mystery there. Just asking.

A little off topic but if you knew Steve McQueen, can you tell me the circumstances of his passing? Seems to have always been some mystery there. Just asking.
I didn’t know him , but it was asbestos exposure most likely . It was mesothelioma, which was just becoming linked to asbestos in that time period

I didn’t know him , but it was asbestos exposure most likely . It was mesothelioma, which was just becoming linked to asbestos in that time period
Yes, I had heard that as well. My understanding is that he died in Mexico post-surgery to remove the tumor attributed to mesothelioma, like you say, but had been suggested that he was recovering nicely and scheduled to return to the States in a few days but suddenly died, which I found very strange.

ADVERTISEMENT
ADVERTISEMENT