ADVERTISEMENT

If you think it is bad now, wait to see how this will cripple us for years to come.

Think about it... we are extremely thin and I don't think anyone in their right mind thinks we can make an actual run in the tourney this year, and there is the possibility of missing the tourney all together.

Here comes the fun part... after this year when Wagner, Dillingham, Edwards, Bradshaw, Reeves (who we aren't sure is actually staying this year) and Ugo all declare for the draft, the only players on the roster will be Reed Sheppard and Adou Thiero. I don't see Cal replicating this class and bringing in 3 of the top 10 freshman again, and we know our track record with bringing in top players in the transfer portal. Buckle up, this is just the beginning, unfortunately.

If UK is not able to step up and fully participate in NIL, we will be a mid level SEC team moving forward. Sad reality.
Starting to smell like Indiana

Think about it... we are extremely thin and I don't think anyone in their right mind thinks we can make an actual run in the tourney this year, and there is the possibility of missing the tourney all together.

Here comes the fun part... after this year when Wagner, Dillingham, Edwards, Bradshaw, Reeves (who we aren't sure is actually staying this year) and Ugo all declare for the draft, the only players on the roster will be Reed Sheppard and Adou Thiero. I don't see Cal replicating this class and bringing in 3 of the top 10 freshman again, and we know our track record with bringing in top players in the transfer portal. Buckle up, this is just the beginning, unfortunately.

If UK is not able to step up and fully participate in NIL, we will be a mid level SEC team moving forward. Sad reality.
Wow looks like Grom was right from the start. The guy said Cal gets into it with fans and burn programs to the ground out of spite: he’s a narcissist and a jerk. It’s too bad we let idiot trolls run this forum and run off good posters.

Understood. I appreciate the fact that all of us have our own opinions and you recognize that. Some around here can seem to suggest otherwise. The biggest complaint for me about Cal is his intent to focus on the draft primarily with that strategy to lure recruits. Seemed to have made sense early on, but the reality was that all of them were hell-bent on the exit after one year leaving the program gasping for oxygen each year. With Cal repeating the process each year, next year's incoming class would send returning players down the bench, for the most part, and many chose to transfer or make a bad decision to declare too early. I think the point is that Cal's priority was the draft over the Program and development of players year over year ... new class pushing players out of the program or down the bench. You can't build a sustainable roster to consistently win and you can't, on average, win with freshmen. Cal's system was built on "best-case" scenarios that haven't panned out. He had to know all of this but was in too deep and too stubborn to adjust for the benefit of the Program, despite being paid a great deal of money to be a good steward for the Program. It's not about the kids ... it's about the Program first and what's best for the Program. That is what Cal refuses to acknowledge, and UK has paid a heavy price far greater than his salary. You are correct ... it is just my opinion and thank you for acknowledging as much. We're all entitled to express our opinions which makes for interesting conversation, at times.

Sure thing. Cal has definitely lost his grip and cannot seem to get it back.

Dont speak for the Cincinnati Kid because I know the talent level of the Fab Five, Ugonna and Thiero.
After these last several years I will remain skeptical until I see how the 5 stars play against men. Earlier in Cal's tenure here the 5 stars were mostly big time studs who could play with anyone. So around January or Feb we shall see if the talent these freshman obviously have coming in translates to being the same studs they were before they got here

Reactions: Fox2monk
A little off topic but if you knew Steve McQueen, can you tell me the circumstances of his passing? Seems to have always been some mystery there. Just asking.
He died of a heart attack in Mexico while recovering from experimental cancer surgery. Back then Mexican doctors were willing to try things that US doctors wouldn't. That was part of the controversy. He actually died of mesothelioma that he got from asbestos exposure from ships while in the Marines.

My grandma went to Mexico for the same reason, and with the same outcome.

He died of a heart attack in Mexico while recovering from experimental cancer surgery. Back then Mexican doctors were willing to try things that US doctors wouldn't. That was part of the controversy. He actually died of mesothelioma that he got from asbestos exposure from ships while in the Marines.

My grandma went to Mexico for the same reason, and with the same outcome.
Are you related to the McQueen family?

Mmmmm.......
We are already a mid level SEC team.

Sad reality.

Wow looks like Grom was right from the start. The guy said Cal gets into it with fans and burn programs to the ground out of spite: he’s a narcissist and a jerk. It’s too bad we let idiot trolls run this forum and run off good posters.
Where is this evidence that Calipari burns programs to the ground at the end?

Looking at his history, he took Nets' job just after taking UMass to Final 4, and I don't recall him burning Memphis to ground after taking them to Sweet 16 in 2008-09 season. He left suddenly for a great opportunity at Kentucky, it's not like he was actively sabotaging them.

There are other legitimate gripes about him as coach, but I don't see this as one.

Reactions: HYTCHYE ISLAND
Understood. I appreciate the fact that all of us have our own opinions and you recognize that. Some around here can seem to suggest otherwise. The biggest complaint for me about Cal is his intent to focus on the draft primarily with that strategy to lure recruits. Seemed to have made sense early on, but the reality was that all of them were hell-bent on the exit after one year leaving the program gasping for oxygen each year. With Cal repeating the process each year, next year's incoming class would send returning players down the bench, for the most part, and many chose to transfer or make a bad decision to declare too early. I think the point is that Cal's priority was the draft over the Program and development of players year over year ... new class pushing players out of the program or down the bench. You can't build a sustainable roster to consistently win and you can't, on average, win with freshmen. Cal's system was built on "best-case" scenarios that haven't panned out. He had to know all of this but was in too deep and too stubborn to adjust for the benefit of the Program, despite being paid a great deal of money to be a good steward for the Program. It's not about the kids ... it's about the Program first and what's best for the Program. That is what Cal refuses to acknowledge, and UK has paid a heavy price far greater than his salary. You are correct ... it is just my opinion and thank you for acknowledging as much. We're all entitled to express our opinions which makes for interesting conversation, at times.
Excellent post.
Clearly articulates the Cal Experience at UK.

It will not end well. UK just needs to bite the bullet and get it over with so that we can move on from this Charlatan.

I've not heard/read one single fan say that.
There have been several spouting that nonsense on this board.

Most of them have disappeared or changed user names over the past two or three years of utter failure of the program.

We're going to be just like those schools that had no returning players after their coaching change, but will we get a coach and have the resources to fill out the roster like they did?

A conversation last night from Jeff Goodman's roundtable on UK. They begin discussing UK around the 11:30 mark.

I'm trying very hard to not let myself believe Cal is leaving the cupboard bare on purpose. But the man is petty. I don't want to believe it, but I could see him doing it.
He will hire anyone that volunteers for the job.

Who has he hired for BB or football that wasn't a volunteer?

Well, maybe Billy Cllyde.

What the hell has Onyenso showed that he will be able to go pro at the end of this year ? Maybe he improves enough, but right now ? Not a chance in hell. So potential players back next year :
Sheperd
Burks
Hart
Thiero
Cyril
Onyenso
That is a very solid 6 before we add ANYBODY portal or freshman studs. People need to pump the brakes on "UK is finished", only a dense , knot head would make such statements in such knee-jerk fashion.

Reactions: jauk11
This is why you wait to see who will be on the team.Kind of like not watching the second half.
He got lucky that Huggins drove drunk. The Burks and Hart additions were good but not game changers at least on paper. If he gets Somto to fortify the inside then I believe we will have a complete team. Shooting may still be the issue.

Cal has responded to the fire under his ass. He still has to coach them. Maybe Welch will help. Left to himself, Cal will micromanage them to death.
There is no fire lit and there hasn't been. You have a couple dozen pitchfork carriers here that just post ad nauseum the same things over and over to each and think they are a majority while the real world just laughs at them.

Cal is doing what he has done for over 30 years and over 800 wins. Recruiting, coaching, preparing, winning. He's won everywhere he's been and he will win everywhere he goes.

But a poster with zero, (0), wins knows better? Only in America!!

There is no fire lit and there hasn't been. You have a couple dozen pitchfork carriers here that just post ad nauseum the same things over and over to each and think they are a majority while the real world just laughs at them.

Cal is doing what he has done for over 30 years and over 800 wins. Recruiting, coaching, preparing, winning. He's won everywhere he's been and he will win everywhere he goes.

Who is your team? Seriously? It isn't UK.

Reactions: YardCat

Troll alert

The Cal chest thumpers are honestly some of the lowest IQ I’ve ever seen.

Reeves and Mitchell are definitely going to help. But is it really worthy of chest puffing in regards to what Cal is doing??

The obvious answer is no.
Yes they are.

And OP’s point still stands. Next year you have Reed, Adou and a couple unranked guys in Burks and Hart back.

Lucky or unlucky you still can not judge the team until you know who's on the team.
Yeah, I agree with this. That's one reason I've been staying away from posting until the dust settled. Things always look worse than they will be in late spring and early summer. And I must say, things have looked REALLY bad this time around. The 3 top 10 freshmen seemed to scare everyone off, even more so than normal. I'm so glad Reeves decided to stay. He's going to get his minutes, and we've seen what he can do. And then the addition of Tre Mitchell was a huge get. His consistency and experience was desperately needed. Having those 2 guys to go with the talent of the freshmen makes me breathe a sign of relief. I still say the level to which this team can rise is on those freshmen, though. But at least they will have some help and won't have to carry the full load from day 1. That is a big help.

While the fans rejoice the good news the rats desperately look for ways to spin this into a negative. What a sad existence.
Yeah what a spin wait to see who's on the team,you knee jerks are all right.

Last edited:
Reactions: MdWIldcat55
I think a lot depends on this yr. As much doom and gloom right now as there is , a couple late additions and the freshmen playing well could lead to a good yr ….and there’s guys out there , and there‘s a clear picture of our roster and how many minutes someone could get, etc . Not many schools have 6-7 guys that are ‘really good ‘ …and that’s possible with this group if there’s good additions the next 3 weeks
Pretty great . this poster called it down to a T and everyone who thrives on negativity acted like he was insane.

Pretty great . this poster called it down to a T and everyone who thrives on negativity acted like he was insane.
Yeah, ol' Jjohn called it. I will give the benefit of the doubt to the doom and gloomers, though. It looked BAD, really bad. I was wondering if we would have any more than about 7 scholarship players. I figured Cal would find a way to round out the roster, but with who? I must admit, when Mitch Barnhart made the statement that he had no doubt Calipari would have a great roster in place before all is said and done, I had to laugh. I had serious doubts about that with the way things were looking.

I'm always glad to see things work out well for the Cats. though. I'm not happy with the state of the program but I have hope the upcoming season will be good. Those hopes were fading a few weeks back but the return of Reeves and addition of Mitchell have me thinking positively again. I hope it all works out.

Bumping my own thread for this dogsh*t take. I am usually a very positive poster, but must've been having a bad day/glass half empty day when times were looking like crap. Should've known Cal would at least bring in the pieces to have a chance to compete. Shame on me.

Bumping my own thread for this dogsh*t take. I am usually a very positive poster, but must've been having a bad day/glass half empty day when times were looking like crap. Should've known Cal would at least bring in the pieces to have a chance to compete. Shame on me.
Should've known? Based on what? He's been awful as a coach the past 4 years or so. UK hasn't competed for anything of late. I'll wait until we've won actual non-cupcake games before I start thinking Cal's turned some corner.

No need to beat yourself up on "should've known" grounds.

No way you could've know that Bob Huggins was gonna have a drunken meltdown that cost his job and caused his best player to transfer mid-summer. ...which is the only reason we have Tre Mitchell. If Huggy's DUI comes just a bit later, then our frontcourt situation is quite different.

That was some crazy late luck that ...combined with Reeves changing his mind about transferring ...altered our whole outlook on this roster.

No need to beat yourself up on "should've known" grounds.

No way you could've know that Bob Huggins was gonna have a drunken meltdown that cost his job and caused his best player to transfer mid-summer. ...which is the only reason we have Tre Mitchell. If Huggy's DUI comes just a bit later, then our frontcourt situation is quite different.

That was some crazy late luck that ...combined with Reeves changing his mind about transferring ...altered our whole outlook on this roster.
I think it all worked out for the best. Huggins gets some help and we get Michhell.

He's smart, a good passer, rebounds, blocks shots. Not sure what its going to look like when he plays the 4.

So, if four of the five top rated recruits play well enough to get drafted and with a top scorer and other players we are glad to get we are still going to possibly miss the tourney all together? And what do you base your thought that Reeves is going to leave on?

You need to go find a team you believe in, with heavy emphasis on the coach. And there are only a few HOF coaches still coaching, hard to believe Cal AND his assistants have forgotten everything they know.

Reactions: Chitown Terry
ADVERTISEMENT
ADVERTISEMENT