ADVERTISEMENT

IF, Quade,PJ,Wenyen,Vanderbilt returns. & we get Mike Daum. How good/great could we be next year?

TopCatCal

Senior
Dec 10, 2012
Quade Green 6'0"
Immanuel Quickley 6'3"
Jamarl Baker 6'4"
Ashton Hagans 6'4"
Tyler Herro 6'5"
Keldon Johnson 6'6"
PJ Washington 6'7"
Wenyen Gabriel 6'9"
Jarred Vanderbilt 6'9"
Mike Daum 6'9"
EJ Montgomery 6'11"
Nick Richards 6'11"

With this roster UK would have it all. Great size, great shooters, Daum, Gabriel, Herro, Baker, Green, Quickley. Strong physical players, Daum, Vanderbilt, PJ & Johnson. And with grad transfer Daum, & junior Gabriel, along with the returning sophomores, we would have something that very few Calipari teams has had, experience..... Most have been thinking that our main competition next year was going to be Villanova who has lost it's 3 best players early to the NBA, & Duke a team that won't have a player over 6'7 that could play in the G league.... As long as we don't have one of those 7 for 17 free throw shooting game in the NCAA tournament next year, if this is our roster I really like our chances to hang banner # 9 next year.

It would be an outstanding roster. I have maintained Green, PJ and Vanderbilt will return. I felt like Gabriel would leave. Now I changed my mind about Gabriel. I think he returns since he didn’t hire an agent.

Its not happening. I don't even consider it possible. Its very likely two of those are gone.

It’s more likely they all return.
Yeah the chance all 3 actually leave is much smaller then all 3 returning . But most likely it is inbetween. I bet we lose 1 ( gabriel ) and other 2 come back. But Daum has never been really mentioned with UK unlike Reid though IMO the big we get to grad transfer is someone else we aren't thinking about . I think with PJ and very likely JV back reid will want to go someplace he can star and at Duke he would be the Big man . I mean Zion is a big but he thinks he is SF in college so that don't count.

No way they all return AND we get daum. If they all return then our roster will be finalized. And we'll easily be the best team in the country next season. If we lose a big besides vando, and replace them with daum. We we still be the best team in the country as long as Vando stays healthy.

Last edited:
I'm not too hopeful for WG and QG. I feel better about PJ and JV.
That is fair but if Green is leaving we will know in the next day or 4 . Honestly that we haven't heard anything and all we have heard in the last 24 hours is that he is more then likely back I don't expect him to leave . I think Cal talked sense into him . Him leaving would be the dumbest decision any player has made in the Cal era. He is going to be a starter on a top 3 UK team ( provided JV and PJ come back ) and if he leaves he has to sit out .

If we return Vanderbilt, PJ, & Gabriel, then we aren't adding any other 3-4-5 guys. A grad-transfer isn't coming here to play behind those guys, or even in part of a 6 man rotation for 3 spots.

I thought Gabriel was gone. Changed my mind. I have maintained Green is a fighter and will return.
With cal trying to talk green into staying I see no way he leaves, cal knows how badly we need Green and told him as much. Maxey reclassifying is just a plan b option if Green leaves. But make no mistake about it Cal wants green to stay everything else is a backup strategy as far as these other guards reclassifying besides Hagans. Green will flourish in our run and gun/rain down threes offense next season.

Why do people on this board keep talking about "getting" Mike Daum when he's never expressed any interest in transferring?

Last edited:
Reactions: ORCAT
Best team in the country on paper, IMO. And, I'm not a sunshine pumper. At least, I don't think I am?! I'm sure some of y'all can let me know. [laughing]

With cal trying to talk green into staying I see no way he leaves, cal knows how badly we need Green and told him as much. Maxey reclassifying is just a plan b option if Green leaves. But make no mistake about it Cal wants green to stay everything else is a backup strategy as far as these other guards reclassifying besides Hagans. Green will flourish in our run and gun/rain down threes offense next season.
Maxey is 2019. A long with Weisman and DJ. 2018 and 2019 will stack up as two fun years of UK basketball.

@irishcat1965 how old is yours anyway? Don't reckon it's disrespectful to ask a woman's husband. I'll never ask a woman her age to her face. Ever. Again, anyway. [roll]
5e6.gif

Hypothetically, yeah, that'd be a great group. I'm just hoping we return 2 of Washington, Vanderbilt, Green, and Gabriel at this point. 3 would be great.

ADVERTISEMENT
ADVERTISEMENT