ADVERTISEMENT

So How Good is Reed Sheppard Really?

He’s very good. He could be oad wo nil. At the end of the day it doesn’t matter how good he is. We need to fill out at least 12 scholarships. Cals players breakdown through the year. He needs some guys who are serviceable for depth. Even with Reeves we need another solid shooter for depth.
I agree with you but when is last time Cal had 12 scholarship players that were actually good enough to help us, 2015?

He looked good in the game he just plays too unselfish and in a game like that you have to take yours and he constantly played like a team player hitting guys and giving them wide open looks but they didn't knock them down or he would have had more assist. He also did not get a ton of clock. As soon as he would do something good it seemed like he would get yanked out.

He did more than hold his own with that level of competition. Looked good at the rim and a great passer also had some good defensive plays.

If we get Reeves back, is it possible that Sheppard is good enough that we don't add another guard?

For those that have seen him play- can he be an actual rotation piece this year, or will he be like a Thiero?

For reference, Rivals has him as the 22nd best player in the class and the 3rd best SG.

For comparison, here are some notable players with the same ranking.

Gradey Dick from KU this year was ranked 28th (STUD).

Quade Green was ranked 22nd (BUST).

Immanual Quickley was ranked 22nd (STUD)

Tyler Herro was ranked 36th (STUD)

Plenty more studs and busts in that range in each class.

What can we realistically expect from Sheppard's impact next year? Can he be that final perimeter piece who gets serious minutes?
He put it all over Dilly when I saw them matchup last year. If that tells you anything. Absolutely dominated the matchup.

My biggest fear is he struggles guarding early on and Cal plants him on the bench. He’s an extremely talented kid with great instincts. No reason he shouldn’t get 12-15 mins a game….BUT, we have a coach who sees no value in developing a bench, so….🤬🤬🤬

If he can defend he will play.
That's the key. His lateral quickness is marginal. Can he handle the physical nature of the college game, recover/fight through from real screens? Going to need plenty of work in the weight room. Needs to get stronger. The college game will expose his weaknesses pretty quickly IMO. But, he'll see a huge jump from freshman to sophomore years if he stays.

Reed seems to have great hands and high IQ.

Would like to see CJ com back healthy and we add another shooter. I want the roster filled out. CJ would be no more than a leader and security blanket.

• Love
Reactions: Cowtown Cat
Dude it's the son of Jeff Shepherd and most of all he's from London Kentucky, my hometown.
🧐Reed represents every white dude from Southeastern Ky everywhere that ever wanted to play for University of Kentucky!!!!! Some of yall all don't know what that means man!
HE WILL FIGHT TO THE DEATH for BIG BLUE.

If we win it with him I'll be satisfied for the next 20 years.

Do we really have to ask this question?

Laurel county legend coming to get us #9. And I believe he will without a shadow of a doubt. Just like his did.

Last edited:
I just can’t rely solely on reeves again for the 3 point makes, I like reeves but they need somebody else if for nothing else to be an improvement on fredrick. And also insurance for dillingham if he doesn’t end up being able to play. I agree on the stretch four, I have my fingers crossed on evbumowen entering the portal
Fredrick came in from Iowa as a 40%+ 3 point shooter. I'm gonna have to say that his leg injuries hurt him the most with his shooting. Kinda how Kellan Grady fell off the charts towards the end of the season when he was playing on noodle legs. I just don't think he had any lift or strength in his legs to get off shots like he could when he was healthy.

Dude it's the son of Jeff Shepherd and most of all he's from London Kentucky, my hometown.
🧐Reed represents every white dude from Southeastern Ky everywhere that ever wanted to play for University of Kentucky!!!!! Some of yall all don't know what that means man!
HE WILL FIGHT TO THE DEATH for BIG BLUE.

If we win it with him I'll be satisfied for the next 20 years.

Do we really have to ask this question?

Laurel county legend coming to get us #9. And I believe he will without a shadow of a doubt. Just like his did.
I know they toyed around with the idea of Louisville or Virginia, because of his dad being more of a Pitino/Tubby Smith guy, but in the end the lure of playing for UK, both parents being UK Alum, Jeff living his childhood dream of playing for UK despite being from Georgia, was just too much to pass up. hopefully Reed is a 2-3 year contributor at least. I don't know what his pro prospects are ultimately, but I'm hoping he can be a leader, and Jeff's presence around the program might hopefully help a lot of these guys realize what it really means to wear that jersey.

That's the key. His lateral quickness is marginal. Can he handle the physical nature of the college game, recover/fight through from real screens? Going to need plenty of work in the weight room. Needs to get stronger. The college game will expose his weaknesses pretty quickly IMO. But, he'll see a huge jump from freshman to sophomore years if he stays.

Love seeing this. All I ever see on here is how great he is while no weakness listed mostly. Good to see some constructive improvement and criticism. We sure see it with all the other freshman. In fact the board focuses on the negative for them but never for Reed.

Fredrick came in from Iowa as a 40%+ 3 point shooter. I'm gonna have to say that his leg injuries hurt him the most with his shooting. Kinda how Kellan Grady fell off the charts towards the end of the season when he was playing on noodle legs. I just don't think he had any lift or strength in his legs to get off shots like he could when he was healthy.
Could be, but i also watched Frederick miss wide open looks even when he was healthy for that little strech of play. But either way you can’t rely on Frederick to stay healthy, so they have to get somebody better

Reactions: G-PIP
Very good player and I think he will be a big time rotational piece next year.

I remember watching his travel team play one of the loaded teams on ESPN and he was FAR AND AWAY the best player on the court.

Excellent point. Fredrick's hamstring tore completely loose from the bone and rolled up like a fruit rollup. How could he not be seriously impacted by that. I was skeptical that he could actually play again effectively. To his credit he made it back, but his movement, explosiveness and, as you said, his lift are all different now. That's a major deal regardless of a player's pre-injury athleticism. Add the finger injury and then the broken ribs, and you have a shell of the former player.

Take away the last name and this would be a recruit we're excited to have and would 100% be expecting to contribute from day 1.

The notion a ton of people have on here that he's gonna ride the bench and only get garbage time minutes is just insane.

The dude is a top 25 recruit in this class, it's not like he's Derek Willis, Jon Hood, or even Darius Miller coming in and ranked in the 40-150 range.
Willis was a pretty good player, except that he had ccc as his coach
Kid was the whipping post for ccc and should have played more because he could shoot from the forward spot

If we get Reeves back, is it possible that Sheppard is good enough that we don't add another guard?

For those that have seen him play- can he be an actual rotation piece this year, or will he be like a Thiero?

For reference, Rivals has him as the 22nd best player in the class and the 3rd best SG.

For comparison, here are some notable players with the same ranking.

Gradey Dick from KU this year was ranked 28th (STUD).

Quade Green was ranked 22nd (BUST).

Immanual Quickley was ranked 22nd (STUD)

Tyler Herro was ranked 36th (STUD)

Plenty more studs and busts in that range in each class.

What can we realistically expect from Sheppard's impact next year? Can he be that final perimeter piece who gets serious minutes?
He won’t get serious minutes, will be treated and played like Therio this year IMO. Depends on his defense and shot MAKING.

Reed is gonna have trouble getting on the floor with DJ and Edwards scoring combination of course there's alittle time but not much. Gotta expect the freshman guards to go 33 to 35 minutes next year. Add some experienced guard to help DJ and maybe let Livingston back up Bradshaw. As far as the bigs go I like Collins and Ugo to hold the 5 spot down with rim protection and put backs.
Reed should start at point. One of the only guys I’ve watched that is more interested in getting his teammates great shots.

Best push ahead passer I’ve seen. UK can get out and fly- he can throw that long fast break pass. Also if they don’t get the goal he can trail and get the ball back for a jumper or he can get to the rim and finish.

Allow Wagner and the others to concentrate on scoring.

Reed reminds me of an old time great UK player- Mike Casey. High high bball iq.

Reed should start at point. One of the only guys I’ve watched that is more interested in getting his teammates great shots.

Best push ahead passer I’ve seen. UK can get out and fly- he can throw that long fast break pass. Also if they don’t get the goal he can trail and get the ball back for a jumper or he can get to the rim and finish.

Allow Wagner and the others to concentrate on scoring.

Reed reminds me of an old time great UK player- Mike Casey. High high bball iq.
Yeah it might work as a experiment, no way Cal let's him have a 30 min freshman ky boy.
SHEPPARD
WAGNER
EDWARDS
BRADSHAW
UGO
That's decent enough to win some games but against the SEC it would limit Reed as a defender. Reeves as 6th man and Livingston maybe, leaving Thiero and transfers as 8 and 9th. Still not enough considering our injuries. Need 14 kids willing to be here.

Could be, but i also watched Frederick miss wide open looks even when he was healthy for that little strech of play. But either way you can’t rely on Frederick to stay healthy, so they have to get somebody better
Fredrick was never fully healthy. His hamstring injury was major and I have to think he was never the same as he was at Iowa prior to injuring his hammy.

I actually expect him to come back.

He is engaged to a UK WBB player (I think) and I don't think he cares if he plays a major role, just wants to be apart of something before his body falls apart.

I think he could fill a Cameron Mills like role if he had to. If the shooting comes around next year, he can play a lot more.

Reactions: Cowtown Cat
I think he could fill a Cameron Mills like role if he had to. If the shooting comes around next year, he can play a lot more.

Yeah absolutely!

People talking about wanting to go 11 or 12 deep (which is unrealistic), but having a guy as good as CJ be our 6th best guard and also a good leader in the locker room, etc.?

That's a best-case scenario

Injuries are inevitable with us for some reason, so he will get plenty of playing time.

Poor CJ was having a very good game until he fell and broke his ribs!! I fell in the yard and broke mine I couldn’t even sleep on my right side for about 2 months. Dude was just fighting through pain almost all year.

Does everything good.
Has a great handle can go either way and actually is better going to his off-hand
Decent defender
Really good passer with great court vision
good 3 pt shooter
Gets up quick and can sky like his dad

Needs to gain some muscle, but has all of the tools to be a special player at UK.
Your first line summed it up. He's just such a well rounded player combined with better than average athletic ability - makes him player that is almost guaranteed to make us better.

Take away the last name and this would be a recruit we're excited to have and would 100% be expecting to contribute from day 1.

The notion a ton of people have on here that he's gonna ride the bench and only get garbage time minutes is just insane.

The dude is a top 25 recruit in this class, it's not like he's Derek Willis, Jon Hood, or even Darius Miller coming in and ranked in the 40-150 range.
I actually think the complete opposite. I think if you take away the last name you take away the initial recruiting interest for the kid from the Rivals, 247, sites and he stays a little under the radar from the recruiting sites....take away his last name and you take away the UK interest. 0.000% chance UK offers this kid if his name is Reed Goble. If UK doesn't offer this kid - no way he gets on the McDonalds's All American game. Without that this kid probably ends up ranked somewhere between 50-100 and ends up at Virginia or Clemson or Va Tech or somewhere similar.

This isn't to say he won't be a fine player but I think its crazy to think his last name is "hurting" him. For the record, I don't trust Cal to get this kid on the court for one second. Reed will be recruited over, he will be played over and he will be a kid that UK fans yell about to Cal and ask why he isn't playing more.

I actually think the complete opposite. I think if you take away the last name you take away the initial recruiting interest for the kid from the Rivals, 247, sites and he stays a little under the radar from the recruiting sites....take away his last name and you take away the UK interest. 0.000% chance UK offers this kid if his name is Reed Goble. If UK doesn't offer this kid - no way he gets on the McDonalds's All American game. Without that this kid probably ends up ranked somewhere between 50-100 and ends up at Virginia or Clemson or Va Tech or somewhere similar.

This isn't to say he won't be a fine player but I think its crazy to think his last name is "hurting" him. For the record, I don't trust Cal to get this kid on the court for one second. Reed will be recruited over, he will be played over and he will be a kid that UK fans yell about to Cal and ask why he isn't playing more.
I think you are denigrating Reed’s game. Earlier in the year Reed played in AAU game and dominated the game with a lot of super players in the game. He is a very smooth player who I think will make the other players look great.

ADVERTISEMENT
ADVERTISEMENT