ADVERTISEMENT

So How Good is Reed Sheppard Really?

Tampa_cat54

Senior
Apr 22, 2011
If we get Reeves back, is it possible that Sheppard is good enough that we don't add another guard?

For those that have seen him play- can he be an actual rotation piece this year, or will he be like a Thiero?

For reference, Rivals has him as the 22nd best player in the class and the 3rd best SG.

For comparison, here are some notable players with the same ranking.

Gradey Dick from KU this year was ranked 28th (STUD).

Quade Green was ranked 22nd (BUST).

Immanual Quickley was ranked 22nd (STUD)

Tyler Herro was ranked 36th (STUD)

Plenty more studs and busts in that range in each class.

What can we realistically expect from Sheppard's impact next year? Can he be that final perimeter piece who gets serious minutes?

If we get Reeves back, is it possible that Sheppard is good enough that we don't add another guard?

For those that have seen him play- can he be an actual rotation piece this year, or will he be like a Thiero?

For reference, Rivals has him as the 22nd best player in the class and the 3rd best SG.

For comparison, here are some notable players with the same ranking.

Gradey Dick from KU this year was ranked 28th (STUD).

Quade Green was ranked 22nd (BUST).

Immanual Quickley was ranked 22nd (STUD)

Tyler Herro was ranked 36th (STUD)

Plenty more studs and busts in that range in each class.

What can we realistically expect from Sheppard's impact next year? Can he be that final perimeter piece who gets serious minutes?
Like Sheppard but they have to add more shooting they just do, this roster has to have it

Take away the last name and this would be a recruit we're excited to have and would 100% be expecting to contribute from day 1.

The notion a ton of people have on here that he's gonna ride the bench and only get garbage time minutes is just insane.

The dude is a top 25 recruit in this class, it's not like he's Derek Willis, Jon Hood, or even Darius Miller coming in and ranked in the 40-150 range.

Like Sheppard but they have to add more shooting they just do, this roster has to have it

I have always thought the same- but if Reed is good enough to get 20MPG and Reeves comes back, that shooting might have to come by way of a stretch 4.

Dilly and Wagner are very capable shooters (especially Dillingham). Reed is obviously supposed to be a great shooter. And Reeves coming back is a sharp shooter.

That would be 4 guys who are all threats or proven shooters who are splitting 90 MPG. (80 MPG at the PG/SG spot, and I am assuming 10 MPG at the 3 spot since Edwards probably plays 30MPG at least). Edwards has shown tonight he is capable as well.

So if Reed is actually good enough to get real minutes, that added shooting will just have to be a stretch 4 that can really stroke it. That would be the only option probably.

I think Shepherd can definitely be a rotation piece as a freshman. I actually think I like him best at PG, but he's a true combo Guard. He's very good at making the right play and staying within himself. I think he could give any top college team 10-15 good minutes a game next season.

He’s very good. He could be oad wo nil. At the end of the day it doesn’t matter how good he is. We need to fill out at least 12 scholarships. Cals players breakdown through the year. He needs some guys who are serviceable for depth. Even with Reeves we need another solid shooter for depth.

Does everything good.
Has a great handle can go either way and actually is better going to his off-hand
Decent defender
Really good passer with great court vision
good 3 pt shooter
Gets up quick and can sky like his dad

Needs to gain some muscle, but has all of the tools to be a special player at UK.

I have always thought the same- but if Reed is good enough to get 20MPG and Reeves comes back, that shooting might have to come by way of a stretch 4.

Dilly and Wagner are very capable shooters (especially Dillingham). Reed is obviously supposed to be a great shooter. And Reeves coming back is a sharp shooter.

That would be 4 guys who are all threats or proven shooters who are splitting 90 MPG. (80 MPG at the PG/SG spot, and I am assuming 10 MPG at the 3 spot since Edwards probably plays 30MPG at least). Edwards has shown tonight he is capable as well.

So if Reed is actually good enough to get real minutes, that added shooting will just have to be a stretch 4 that can really stroke it. That would be the only option probably.
I just can’t rely solely on reeves again for the 3 point makes, I like reeves but they need somebody else if for nothing else to be an improvement on fredrick. And also insurance for dillingham if he doesn’t end up being able to play. I agree on the stretch four, I have my fingers crossed on evbumowen entering the portal

I just can’t rely solely on reeves again for the 3 point makes, I like reeves but they need somebody else if for nothing else to be an improvement on fredrick. And also insurance for dillingham if he doesn’t end up being able to play. I agree on the stretch four, I have my fingers crossed on evbumowen entering the portal
He's definitely a stud, but doesn't seem like much of a shooter, right?

32% from 3 but only made 11 3FGs this year.

Someone called dillingham streaky. Actually Reeves is very streaky. When he’s on he’s on when he’s off he bad. We need another guy like him to play the hot hand. Need a couple Reeves type players

Reactions: Random UK Fan
It's gonna take him a few years. Little weak on defense he's gotta get better there and ball handling needs work.

Someone called dillingham streaky. Actually Reeves is very streaky. When he’s on he’s on when he’s off he bad. We need another guy like him to play the hot hand. Need a couple Reeves type players
Agree if you 2-3 guys like that then it’s the law of averages one of them will have to be in most nights

Reactions: Wildcats1st
Please Cal, play the five Freshmen together, at least a few minutes a game. Spread the floor and let those guards go to work.

Reactions: catben
Don't see any way Fredrick stays at UK if Reeves comes back with Wagner Dillingham and Sheppard.

Reed is gonna have trouble getting on the floor with DJ and Edwards scoring combination of course there's alittle time but not much. Gotta expect the freshman guards to go 33 to 35 minutes next year. Add some experienced guard to help DJ and maybe let Livingston back up Bradshaw. As far as the bigs go I like Collins and Ugo to hold the 5 spot down with rim protection and put backs.

ADVERTISEMENT
ADVERTISEMENT