ADVERTISEMENT

If Hurley was coaching this UK roster, where would the media rank them?

Son_Of_Saul

All-American
Dec 7, 2007
I've seen most preseason polls with UConn in the top 5, and quite a few even have them in the top 3. Looking at their roster, I see one potential lottery pick (McNeeley) and one other first-round pick in Karaban.

UK, meanwhile, is deeper and has at least four players who project as future NBA players (Robinson, Chandler, Garrison, Oweh).

Does Hurley get a bump just because they're coming off of back-to-back titles? Is he respected that much that a team with good but not great talent is a preseason top 3 team?

Additionally, where would they have ranked this current UK roster if Hurley was coaching? I'd say they'd probably put UK in the top 7 or so.

Reactions: deep3
Once again, what good does that get you? Pre-season champions every year.

I've seen most preseason polls with UConn in the top 5, and quite a few even have them in the top 3. Looking at their roster, I see one potential lottery pick (McNeeley) and one other first-round pick in Karaban.

UK, meanwhile, is deeper and has at least four players who project as future NBA players (Robinson, Chandler, Garrison, Oweh).

Does Hurley get a bump just because they're coming off of back-to-back titles? Is he respected that much that a team with good but not great talent is a preseason top 3 team?

Additionally, where would they have ranked this current UK roster if Hurley was coaching? I'd say they'd probably put UK in the top 7 or so.
Who cares about Pre-season Champs

You're talking about 2 first rounders (1 lottery pick) like they're chopped liver. We don't have any player projected in the first round. What do you expect? Do we even have a player expected to be drafted at all right now?

It doesn't mean it won't change by the end of the season, but this is where we stand today.

Reactions: RunninRichie
Playing in that minor league conference (which it surely isn't) hasn't hurt them winning two titles in a row. Don't understand your logic on this one. That's a very good conference they're in.

No, it's not a very good conference. They do have some good teams, though. They also have quite a few bad teams. And being in a bad conference does not mean you can't win a title. Literally nobody said that.

The polls are based on who is hot and who is not. UConn is hot right now. UK isn't. Hopefully Pope can turn that around.

Hurley is the biggest and hottest name is the coaching profession right now. Back to back, turned down Kentucky then the LA Lakers. So ya the ranking is about right for the talking heads.

Hurley at UK with this roster just switch our ranking with UConn.

Hopefully Pope ends the UK not the cool school one and done factory anymore when he shows he can coach this year.

I'd say 7 or 8ish spots higher. Our roster is pretty good, and he looks to have the midas touch right now. Maybe a few spots higher than that even because of the gigantic hype train following a marriage of Kentucky and Hurley. All that said, I think Hurley is an unhinged jerk, and couldn't be happier to have Pope. Let the doubters doubt.

Just like when Cal was our coach! Most years the last 5-6 anyway we were ranked to high IMO..

We may have future NBA players but we aren’t sure how anyone will play together, Hurley also has many guys who have been in his system and they have a culture built. He deserves the bump honestly.

Never understand these hypotheticals.

If Hurley was coach we wouldn't have this roster. He would have different players.

Of course people would buy into a Hurley team more preseason than a Pope one. Hurley has as many national titles as Pope has ncaa tournament appearances.

Hurley gets the benefit of the doubt, much like Cal did. He has proven himself by winning back to back championships. Coaching can go a long way in a fundamentally sound team, which can beat raw talent. That every UK fan should know by now.

May be underestimating UCONN talent. Or overestimating ours. If those 4 players you listed for UK are future pros, then UCONN probably has at least another two as well. They bring in leading scorer, 2 year starter for 5 seed St Marys, Mahaney.

ADVERTISEMENT
ADVERTISEMENT