ADVERTISEMENT

I would love to win this tournament, but....

Feb 9, 2022
Cal said in the post interview for the Tennessee game that he did not care about this tournament at all and, I think he said he will not bother to prepare for it. Thanks Cal. I am sure all the fans feel just like you do on this. We are just stupid basketball bennies after all.

sec-bracket.jpg

i think you go for it just to keep the mojo going, and to get the higher seed. coming off a loss we may be hyper focused for a first round game, but who cares? you’re supposed to win that. i’d rather win the sect and being going into the regional one of the hottest teams in the country.

Deep down, Cal is worried about the risk of injuries to his draft picks in these remaining games.
I doubt it. If he were that worried about it he would just not play them during the tourney, since he doesn't care if we win or lose for it.

He's probably afraid he will get outcoached badly in this setting with all the SEC coaches. So he is just going to take the position that he doesn't care if they win or lose. Built -m excuse!

Maybe I'm wrong and he coaches his ass off and we win it. Noting would make me happier. I wouldn't mind frying up and eating a double helping of crow!

I used to hate when he said this stuff but honestly…what is the point anymore?

It’s a fact that the championship game on Sunday means absolutely nothing. The seeding and brackets are already done. The game is on Sunday afternoon. Gotta get back to Lexington from Nashville. That evening is the selection show to find out who you play. If we have to play a Thursday game, we only have Monday to prepare then leaving on Tuesday.

I love going to the SEC tournament and the atmosphere but conference tournaments have become rather irrelevant to the NCAA except for maybe the bubble teams.

Honestly, we all know that the tournament is meaningless at this point since the Championship isn't played until Sunday. The outcome is meaningless and has no bearing on the NCAA seeding unless you lose on the first day.

I see his point, I see both sides. But, the league won't change...so

It’s a fact that the championship game on Sunday means absolutely nothing. The seeding and brackets are already done. The game is on Sunday afternoon. Gotta get back to Lexington from Nashville. That evening is the selection show to find out who you play. If we have to play a Thursday game, we only have Monday to prepare then leaving on Tuesday.

I love going to the SEC tournament and the atmosphere but conference tournaments have become rather irrelevant to the NCAA except for maybe the bubble teams.
Coach Rupp is often quoted about winning something to the effect of “that’s why they keep score “.

They also have record books. A lot of UK fans are proud of where UK stands in those books. The number of games won, winning percentage and the hardware picked up along the way means a lot to BBN.

They fill large arenas and travel a lot of miles and spend a good deal of money to support THEIR wildcats.

Considering the $9,000,000 compensation, I don’t think it’s asking too much from our coach to make every effort to win every game, OOC, conference, tournament. If we play it, we want to win it.

Last edited:
You should prepare for every game like it’s your last game. It only helps prepare you for the games you really want prepare for and anything else is just lazy.
Cal also almost made a mistake of letting people know he actually did care at the end. He almost let slip that he did indeed know we wanted that Tennessee game pretty bad to get the double bye. I don’t believe him.

They need to have a 2 week break, not just 1 IMO.

I love how many we have won and want to add every trophy we can to the case!

Calipari doing his apathy thing

Man, makes me sad to see it working. Never thought he could convince UK fans to give up our positions. He’s also pretty much said the draft matters more than the championships. How long before we follow him there too?

At Kentucky we win this league and we win the most games and we are universally hated because that’s what we do.

Rupp would be absolutely ashamed that a guy like this is leading the program he built. There’s no way around that.

Cal also almost made a mistake of letting people know he actually did care at the end. He almost let slip that he did indeed know we wanted that Tennessee game pretty bad to get the double bye. I don’t believe him.
I don’t believe anything he says, period. He’s a salesman and every word out of his mouth is agenda driven.

Cal said in the post interview for the Tennessee game that he did not care about this tournament at all and, I think he said he will not bother to prepare for it. Thanks Cal. I am sure all the fans feel just like you do on this. We are just stupid basketball bennies after all.
I read all the time that he doesn’t care about winning, ever. So why does he nearly get thrown out of every single game? lol.

Kentucky leads or holds the most top 5 positions in the vast majority of NCAA categories. Yes, it matters. That’s why we’re known as the greatest program of all time. “Only March matters”
Has never been true.

I realize it might be coach speak but I don’t care. Stop. This is why so many want him gone, people sense disrespect toward the program and don’t like it. There’s no reason to say half of what he says, none. It’s either that he believes it or he doesn’t but some of it is intended to make the fans upset. The best fans in maybe all of sports. It’s inexcusable.

Just hurry up and get out of the seat man, try to add another title for the legacy play and get out. He needs two for himself and our history, after that please go.

Coach Rupp is often quoted about winning something to the effect of “that’s why they keep score “.
They also have record books. A lot of UK fans are proud of where UK stands in those books. The number of games won, winning percentage and the hardware picked up along the way means a lot to BBN.
They fill large arenas and travel a lot of miles and spend a good deal of money to support THEIR wildcats.
Considering the $9,000,000 compensation, I don’t think it’s asking too much from our coach to make every effort to win every game, OOC, conference, tournament. If we play it, we want to win it.
Amen, brother. You expressed the whole point of my post beautifully. Thank you for that. If we want to stay ahead of Kansas in the total games won, we need to win as many games as possible. I have no idea how important that is to Cal, but it is important to me.

To those that said I was in error and that Cal did not say what I said he did. I apologize to you and to Cal. I am old and my memory is going fast and plays tricks on me sometimes. I did not go back and watch the post game again, but I though I remembered him saying he did not put much thought into the tournament or something like that and I THOUGHT he mentioned he didn't worry about any particular preparations for it or something like that. I retract that statement then due to a brain fart.

We have definitely got the short end of the seed and bracket even doing well but I’d say it doesn’t hurt winning it for sure.

To me obviously the main goal is doing well in the NCAA tournament. But even if the SEC tournament had absolutely zero effect on seeding (which we know they factor in at least the games before the final), winning it I still view as one of the goals of the season.

Man I never said it didn’t matter to me. I just said I love the environment and yes you always play to win. We can’t just excuse ourselves from the conference tournament lol. All I’m saying is that as far as the NCAA (who is a joke of an organization) is concerned, they obviously don’t mean much.

Reactions: crestcat
Amen, brother. You expressed the whole point of my post beautifully. Thank you for that. If we want to stay ahead of Kansas in the total games won, we need to win as many games as possible. I have no idea how important that is to Cal, but it is important to me.

To those that said I was in error and that Cal did not say what I said he did. I apologize to you and to Cal. I am old and my memory is going fast and plays tricks on me sometimes. I did not go back and watch the post game again, but I though I remembered him saying he did not put much thought into the tournament or something like that and I THOUGHT he mentioned he didn't worry about any particular preparations for it or something like that. I retract that statement then due to a brain fart.
Thank you, I’m old too, maybe that’s why I can’t just slough off some of these losses during the season.

sec-bracket.jpg

If he's neglecting his coaching duties, that's grounds for termination of his contract.

There's no better way to waste opportunities and hurt your team than not preparing them for it. That's how players get hurt and you (further) waste teachable moments. Not surprising given it's Cal, but disappointing given he's our coach and won't (coach).

Calipari doing his apathy thing

Man, makes me sad to see it working. Never thought he could convince UK fans to give up our positions. He’s also pretty much said the draft matters more than the championships. How long before we follow him there too?

At Kentucky we win this league and we win the most games and we are universally hated because that’s what we do.

Rupp would be absolutely ashamed that a guy like this is leading the program he built. There’s no way around that.
See my last comment. I’m not going off what Cal says. I don’t listen to any of his shows. I only listen to the post game press conferences when we win.

I’ll summarize what I just said. I LOVE LOVE LOVE going to the SEC tournament. Even more so than that, I LOVE LOVE LOVE LOVE winning.

If you go back and actually read what I wrote instead of twisting my words, I said that as far as the NCAA is concerned (teams getting in, seeding, etc) that it doesn’t matter much to them so why are we playing them. And if that’s the case, then why take a chance of guys getting hurt or wearing down before playing two games in the coming week.

Let me know if you still don’t understand.

Are you gonna address the question of what Cal "said" or what you think you heard
with a link or something to substantiate "Cal said in the post-interview for the Tennessee game that he did not care about this tournament at all and, I think he said he will not bother to prepare for it." or continue to ignore those of us that are skeptical and have called you out? You're the only one who apparently heard it.
Damn man, didn’t you read the second paragraph of the post you just responded to?

Reactions: Girthang
ADVERTISEMENT
ADVERTISEMENT