ADVERTISEMENT

I would love to win this tournament, but....

Be
I understand everything you said about our Wildcats. Cal cares about winning every game he puts his team on the court. He made these comments after we won the tournament and didn’t improve our seed in the NCAA. The answer he was given is the games played on Sunday and the seeds are done by then. He was just voicing his opinion of why play it then??? I get it. Give your team another days rest. He wanted the tourney moved to end Saturday like the ACC so the committee can consider the champion. The NCAA uses the SEC as the goat to garner money on Sunday that doesn’t even matter. Lord knows they would not do that to UNC and Duke their favorites in the ACC. Their champion matters. Don’t mean squat for the SEC champions. That’s the way the NCAA wants it. Context is everything when interpreting a quote.
I don’t try to interpret what Cal says, I don’t care what he says. I was replying to some posters that didn’t seem to care if we won the SECT.

I’m also just fed up with the “fans “ that shrug off the BS losses while Cal is developing his five stars.

Cal said in the post interview for the Tennessee game that he did not care about this tournament at all and, I think he said he will not bother to prepare for it. Thanks Cal. I am sure all the fans feel just like you do on this. We are just stupid basketball bennies after all.

sec-bracket.jpg
He said to the reporter that he cared about 1 tournament, the NCAA tournament.

He almost gets thrown out of every game and will do so this weekend. Gibberish thinking he doesn’t want to win. His comments are just red meat for the ones who are clearly on the side of “Cal sukks”. SOME of them want to be be right so badly so they can tell you how smart they are. He doesn’t want anyone to get hurt this weekend. That’s what he really means. Many coaches say the same thing about their conference tournaments.
Well, I hope he thinks about all the fans and all the money they’re going to spend down there this weekend because these fans want to win!!

Gotta win at least 2. If they can’t beat A&M then they’re likely not going past Sweet 16. Depends on seeding and which #1 they’re bracketed with.

They can beat Purdue or whoever the 4th #1 is.
Idk. Texas am looked really good Saturday. I wouldn't be surprised to see them give us a great game. They switched around a few players and put a 6'7" guard as pg. Whole different look

Meh. I mean our own conference and governing body (NCAAT) doesn't give a shit about the SECT final, so why should we?

I don't blame Cal here. Get a win or two is really all I want. I of course would LIKE to win it, and maybe, just maybe, push for a 2-seed. But we also want to stay healthy as best we can.

The real issue here is the final not being counted towards seeding. If you want to be angry, be angry about that. Honestly think this should be petitioned.

I kind of look at it like you are trying to win two games to improve seeding.......but then you are in a final. I mean you're there, the game needs to be played why not go for it lol.

We have what 31 of these things? Why not add to the history.

Reactions: nickhorvathsuxazz
So, were all of those SEC Tournament Championships we have won over the years "important" to you????!!!!

They MOST DEFINITELY were to me!!!

Every one of Cal's Final 4 teams have made it to the SEC Tournament Championship game. That seems to be an "important" factor.
Nope, only tournament that counts is NCAA the only one. Maybe you feel like Duke when they win ACC, it's harder to win ACC than title 😂

• Wow
Reactions: catben
my take is if you can't win the SECT then how can you win the NCAA Tournament?

I don't ever want the UK administration , coaches or fans to be of the mindset the SECT isn't important or that we shouldn't do all we can to win it. No saving for the NCAA tournament.

Cal has downplayed it for years and I believe that has contributed to the overall suckage of the program these past years.

Playing to win should be all the program needs to take it seriously , regardless of whether the NCAA or the SEC should value it more. Its the conference tournament. Why the hell even go if UK is going to halfass it?

I don't ever want the UK administration , coaches or fans to be of the mindset the SECT isn't important or that we shouldn't do all we can to win it. No saving for the NCAA tournament.

Cal has downplayed it for years and I believe that has contributed to the overall suckage of the program these past years.

We won the title in 2012 but lost to Vandy in the tournament that year.

I guess the better way to put it would be if your not capable of winning the SEC tournament you probably aren't winning the NCAA one. No doubt that UK 2012 team was way better than Vandy, they just didn't it done for some reason.

I agree tho. My take is who cares if seeding isn't involved in the final. It's still for a conference championship. That means something to me. It SHOULD be important.

Not to mention the fact that these games regardless of whether it moves our seeding still helps us prepare for the actual tournament. Playing an additional game vs an Alabama, Auburn, UT couldn't hurt going into the big one.

Everyone wants to win it. Including Cal.

We have played in 31 SEC tourney games under Cal.

I’ve been to every one. I’ve never once seen any player not trying his best to win.

I’ve never seen any sign from any coach that they aren’t trying their best to win.

Cal says a lot of sh!t. A lot is coach speak too.

When Cal talks about it he’s talking big picture. The SEC tourney is nothing but a money grab. Cal just says the quiet part out loud.

Every UK coach has dissed the SEC tourney.

I remember when it was brought back in 1979 after a long layoff.

Joe B was adamantly against it.

He still wanted to win it when we were in it.

It became a UK invitational

And it remains so today.

It’s that way in every city where it’s held.

And I love it!!😍 🏀

I guess the better way to put it would be if your not capable of winning the SEC tournament you probably aren't winning the NCAA one. No doubt that UK 2012 team was way better than Vandy, they just didn't it done for some reason.

I agree tho. My take is who cares if seeding isn't involved in the final. It's still for a conference championship. That means something to me. It SHOULD be important.

Not to mention the fact that these games regardless of whether it moves our seeding still helps us prepare for the actual tournament. Playing an additional game vs an Alabama, Auburn, UT couldn't hurt going into the big one.

96 team lost to Ms St too

but yea, I'm surprised Cal doesn't push for it as its the closest simulation he is going to get to the tournament with Freshmen

it also speaks to his "peaking" in March mentality.

How can you be built for March and then get bounced in your conference tourney?

Everyone wants to win it. Including Cal.

We have played in 31 SEC tourney games under Cal.

I’ve been to every one. I’ve never once seen any player not trying his best to win.

I’ve never seen any sign from any coach that they aren’t trying their best to win.

Cal says a lot of sh!t. A lot is coach speak too.

When Cal talks about it he’s talking big picture. The SEC tourney is nothing but a money grab. Cal just says the quiet part out loud.

Every UK coach has dissed the SEC tourney.

I remember when it was brought back in 1979 after a long layoff.

Joe B was adamantly against it.

He still wanted to win it when we were in it.

It became a UK invitational

And it remains so today.

It’s that way in every city where it’s held.

And I love it!!😍 🏀
then Cal needs to STFU

often...

'96 team got beat in SEC final by MSU (who also ended up making the final 4 that year)

Reactions: The_Answer1313
Why Cal doesn't like them is the strain on his players having to play 3 games in 3 days. It is EXACTLY why he doesn't like playing in Pre-season holiday tournaments as well. He has stated the reasoning for BOTH, and he also stated "he wants to go to the tournament and excite the fans.
That is the 100% reason he doesn't like playing the multi games in consecutive days formats. He likes the neutral floor, tournament setting to help prepare his teams.

Last edited:
What Cal doesn't like them is the strain on his players having to play 3 games in 3 days. It is EXACTLY why he doesn't like playing in Pre-season holiday tournaments as well. He has stated the reasoning for BOTH, and he also stated "he wants to go to the tournament and excite the fans.
That is the 100% reason he doesn't like playing the multi games in consecutive days formats. He likes the neutral floor, tournament setting to help prepare his teams.
Plus the chance of an injury ramps up if you play 3 games in 3 days. Totally reasonable to be leery of it but it's red meat or the Cal Hate Cult so roll your eyes but don't bother to argue with them as that's what they want.

I'm not sure why it matters what he said.

Actions speak louder than words.

Haven't we won like six of these while he's been coach here?

Playing to win should be all the program needs to take it seriously , regardless of whether the NCAA or the SEC should value it more. Its the conference tournament. Why the hell even go if UK is going to halfass it?
ask the 1996 and 2012 team that

Hey you stupid ass!! Why don't you go back and read my reply that you quoted again, and read it real slow. Maybe then you will be able to understand it. I apologized for it and retracted the

Cal said in the post interview for the Tennessee game that he did not care about this tournament at all and, I think he said he will not bother to prepare for it. Thanks Cal. I am sure all the fans feel just like you do on this. We are just stupid basketball bennies after all.

sec-bracket.jpg
This pisses me off ROYALLY!!!

sec-bracket.jpg
You should have learned by now you can't believe the crap coming out of Cal's mouth. Of course he wants to win the SEC tourney. If he actually said he doesn't, he is only attempting to save face if he doesn't. He wants fans to believe winning wasn't that important.

He said the ONLY tournament he cares about is the one AFTER this next one.

Far cry from saying I'm not going to prepare for the SEC tournament. He was obviously saying that the NCAA tournament is the big one, but, people have confirmation bias and will find anything he says to support their agenda to not like him. BTW, most coaches wish there were not conference tournaments unless they need to win it to get into the dance.

Reactions: mebeblue2

2012 team says, hold my beer

Be

I don’t try to interpret what Cal says, I don’t care what he says. I was replying to some posters that didn’t seem to care if we won the SECT.

I’m also just fed up with the “fans “ that shrug off the BS losses while Cal is developing his five stars.
If we win the last 6, who cries about losing in the SECT

Far cry from saying I'm not going to prepare for the SEC tournament. He was obviously saying that the NCAA tournament is the big one, but, people have confirmation bias and will find anything he says to support their agenda to not like him. BTW, most coaches wish there were not conference tournaments unless they need to win it to get into the dance.
But you said he never said EITHER of those two things. So maybe you should tamp down your fervor just a touch when blasting someone else for saying something not true.

you don't think they were capable of winning the SECT?
You are moving the goalposts, do you think this team is capable. The point is 96 and 12 in fact did lose the SECT and I dont give 2 FF, because they won it all. If you told me right now if we lost Friday night and would win it all, I would cheer against UK, this tourney means nothing

Reactions: mebeblue2
You are moving the goalposts, do you think this team is capable. The point is 96 and 12 in fact did lose the SECT and I dont give 2 FF, because they won it all. If you told me right now if we lost Friday night and would win it all, I would cheer against UK, this tourney means nothing
that's such a Cal fan thing to say.

I'm not moving the goal posts, heck I was at the '96 game when they lost to Ms St..

but every team Cal has had that has gone to the final four was in the championship game of the SECT

and as a coach and fanbase if you are sending a message that there are bigger games after the SECT then its set a horrible precedent for the performance in the NCAA tournament

that's such a Cal fan thing to say.

I'm not moving the goal posts, heck I was at the '96 game when they lost to Ms St..

but every team Cal has had that has gone to the final four was in the championship game of the SECT

and as a coach and fanbase if you are sending a message that there are bigger games after the SECT then its set a horrible precedent for the performance in the NCAA tournament
Not at all, I'm a fan, what I say and do has 0 bearing on the floor. You moved the goalposts by saying, the 12 team COULD have won the SECT. The thing is they didn't. When they cut rys were you like, damn I wish they won the SECT I want to win every game, but I wish there weren't any SECT. It is a waste unless a non NCAA qualified wins it, and how many of them go on to win a title. We will have to agree u want to win SEC, I want a title 😂

ADVERTISEMENT
ADVERTISEMENT