ADVERTISEMENT

I would love to win this tournament, but....

To be fair, the ncaa usually does not take conf tourney into account in seeding unless you win the conf tourney.

Remember, we won the conf tourney one year and beat a team that placed higher in seeding than us....even though we beat them to win the conf tourney. It does not make sense, but I think its a timing issue.

Coach Cal knows we all would love a run in the ncaa tourney more so than just a conf tourney championship.

To be fair, the ncaa usually does not take conf tourney into account in seeding unless you win the conf tourney.

Remember, we won the conf tourney one year and beat a team that placed higher in seeding than us....even though we beat them to win the conf tourney. It does not make sense, but I think its a timing issue.

Coach Cal knows we all would love a run in the ncaa tourney more so than just a conf tourney championship.
So, he sould give two squats about winning this tournament even though I'm sure he'll brag about BBN taking over Nashville to support the team. Maybe UK fans should just quit going if it's not a priority. The last several years it seems that the only tournament he cares about dosen't matter either. ALL games matter!!!

Last edited:
  • Love
Reactions: kywildcat41086
So, he could give two squats about winning this tournament even though I'm sure he'll brag about BBN taking over Nashville to support the team. Maybe UK fans should just quit going if it's not a priority. The last several years it seems that the only tournament he cares about dosen't matter either. ALL games matter!!!
Amen, any time we play, we want to win

which should be the case. After all this is just 1-3 games for each team. It's such a small sample of the overall body of work it shouldn't have too much of an effect.

Sorry...we would/should want both!

Reactions: Neue Regel
Meh. I mean our own conference and governing body (NCAAT) doesn't give a shit about the SECT final, so why should we?

I don't blame Cal here. Get a win or two is really all I want. I of course would LIKE to win it, and maybe, just maybe, push for a 2-seed. But we also want to stay healthy as best we can.

The real issue here is the final not being counted towards seeding. If you want to be angry, be angry about that. Honestly think this should be petitioned.
Has it been documented that the SEC Tournament Final doesn't factor at all into seeding STILL? I know it hasn't appeared to in the past, and I think I remember some committee comments that seemed to indicate that it wouldn't have a big effect, but I also think I remember them saying it did to a degree.

I guess I'm saying or asking that just because we keep repeating that it doesn't play into seeding, does that mean it's actually true?

If you play an OOC game does it count on your w/l record? Winning percentage? Yep we want to win.

If we play a conference game does it count on the w/l record? Winning percentage? Yep, we want to win.

SECT games count on the w/l record? Winning percentage? Yep we want to win.

NCAAT games count? We want to win.

Yep, looks like WE want to win them all.

Has it been documented that the SEC Tournament Final doesn't factor at all into seeding STILL? I know it hasn't appeared to in the past, and I think I remember some committee comments that seemed to indicate that it wouldn't have a big effect, but I also think I remember them saying it did to a degree.

I guess I'm saying or asking that just because we keep repeating that it doesn't play into seeding, does that mean it's actually true?

The 2016 SECT where we revenge our lost by beating TAM, saw them stay at a 3 and us at a 4 seed, when many thought if we won, we'd swap with them. And we should. If two teams are neck and neck and one beats the other, hard to argue we don't swap sports OR we move to a 3/they move to a 4.

That said, I don't know if we've ever gotten official word. But this has always been speculated, and the data backs it up.

The 2016 SECT where we revenge our lost by beating TAM, saw them stay at a 3 and us at a 4 seed, when many thought if we won, we'd swap with them. And we should. If two teams are neck and neck and one beats the other, hard to argue we don't swap sports OR we move to a 3/they move to a 4.

That said, I don't know if we've ever gotten official word. But this has always been speculated, and the data backs it up.
Right. I said we'd seen it APPEAR to happen (and that was 8 years ago at this point), but do we REALLY know or is it official that it won't matter whatsoever for seeding? We all keep saying it like it's a fact, but is it really?

Right. I said we'd seen it APPEAR to happen (and that was 8 years ago at this point), but do we REALLY know or is it official that it won't matter whatsoever for seeding? We all keep saying it like it's a fact, but is it really?
I mean, if we saw it once 8 years ago, that kind of gives you the answer, doesn't it? Keep in mind, not every SECT is going to affect seeding that much. A lot of times the two teams in the final are already set in stone.

IDK, I don't really trust the SEC to weight us on the final.

I guess no one truly knows.

Like people will point to 2011 where we beat Florida in the finals and they ended up I think a 2 and us a 4 still.

But was that them not factoring in that last game or was that them factoring in that last game but it just not having an effect to change things. Again goes back to have much stock do you actually put into just one game in a season of 30+

Honestly , this year is different than most. We have hardly had any games with our entire lineup . If anything, Cal should look at this as a great opportunity to gain valuable experience with different combinations against teams on par with what we will see in the ncaa tournament.

Kentucky lost a bunch of quadrant 1 games this year including several at home. Our kids have to do whatever they can to improve their seeding. Cal may or may not be right about whether winning the conference tournament improves your seeding BUT getting upset in an early round of the conference tournament can definitely hurt it. There are some cases when winning it has helped.

I cannot read Cal's mind like some here think you can. I just know this. Whatever doubts fans have about how seriously Cal takes each and every game, Cal himself has contributed to the concerns with his own mouth. Maybe he didn't mean it. Maybe things were said in the heat of a tense postgame interview or whatever. But I have never heard a winning coach say the things Cal says. He makes things harder for himself, but he has the security of the contract. It has gotten awkward.

And this too. Cal has brought in really good recruiting classes at Kentucky. He won #8 with Davis, Kidd-Gilchrist, and Jones. He saw first hand how important that team was to normal Kentuckians. He knows. Cal is still an elite recruiter but he needs to be careful what he says just like any public figure.

Cal said in the post interview for the Tennessee game that he did not care about this tournament at all and, I think he said he will not bother to prepare for it. Thanks Cal. I am sure all the fans feel just like you do on this. We are just stupid basketball bennies after all.

sec-bracket.jpg
Didnt happen. Troll

I would care a lot more about these comments if we didn't win like six conference tournaments under Cal.
He might not like the tournament. He might feel it's a waste of time. But the results show otherwise so why would anyone care.

Reactions: LineSkiCat14
ADVERTISEMENT
ADVERTISEMENT