ADVERTISEMENT

I would love to win this tournament, but....

IIMO, Cal wants to win it, but he knows in the grand scheme of things, this program/season will be judged by NCAA Tournament success,
Absolutely. But seeding does have a little to do with conf tournament champs. Right? Some say the seeds are determined before they conf tournament championships so there could be an argument, but not sure anyone can argue Cal doesn’t say stupid stuff quite often.

Hilarious that the OP just blatantly makes up complete BS and a ton of people fall for it without even thinking twice. If it’s on the Internet it must be true! Morons
He ACTUALLY said that the tournament this week is NOT the one he's concentrating on BUT the one in 2 weeks.

YOU are the one with the BS. Watch the UT post game PC. He does NOT value the SEC Tournament. He has stated that for the last few seasons. Heck, he said he just wanted to get back to his dog after losing last year.

Honestly , this year is different than most. We have hardly had any games with our entire lineup . If anything, Cal should look at this as a great opportunity to gain valuable experience with different combinations against teams on par with what we will see in the ncaa tournament.

He ACTUALLY said that the tournament this week is NOT the one he's concentrating on BUT the one in 2 weeks.

YOU are the one with the BS. Watch the UT post game PC. He does NOT value the SEC Tournament. He has stated that for the last few seasons. Heck, he said he just wanted to get back to his dog after losing last year.
Saying "It's not the one I'm concentrating on" is not the same as "I won't prepare for it." I do think the OP is slanting some things.

I say leave Cal home with his dogs since he hates the SECT so bad. We would have a better chance if he stayed home.

I mean what does this say to your players when you say it’s a meaningless tournament.

One of a growing list of reasons that he is not the right guy for KY basketball!

He’s been saying this same shit every year for 15 years, and every single year some of you bite on it and froth with blind rage.

Cal has won 6 of these tournaments. Pitino won 5. Tubby won 5. Eddie won 2. Hall won 1. Billy was drunk. UK has failed to reach the SEC semis 3 times in the last 15 years (2013, 2021, 2023). Cal is 8-2 in the semis, 6-2 in the title game, 10-2 in the quarterfinals and 0-1 on Thursday for a record of 24-7. Pretty solid record for someone who doesn’t care.

I understand the SECT run of 1992-99 was amazing to behold, but that was closer to an anomaly than the norm.

So the coach said he only cares about one tournament? This team has two tournaments ahead of it. Are you OK with that?
if you are asking if the SECT means the same to me as the NCAAT, IT DOES NOT
if i were guessing then i would say the NCAAT also means much more to Cal and the players
with that said i want to win both and i would guess so does Cal and the players

• Wow
Reactions: catben
There was NO "twisting" the inference of what he is telling his team. The SEC Tournament carries little to no VALUE in Cal's eyes. This is the message he is sending the team with his comments.

It is his way of deflecting ANY criticism he would receive if we lose before Sunday. The NEW Cal is CONSTANTLY making excuses for future potential losses. He does it during the year with his "Win or Learn" Bull crap. This is just another example of it.

The SEC Tournament is VERY important to our fans!!! A lot of money is spent to go and support HIS team!!! So for him to downplay the importance of it is just another swipe at the fans, or should I say "Basketball Benny's", which is another swipe.

It's a shame too because the Cal we hired 14 years ago didn't do this.
really, where did Cal say he does not prepare for the SECT
he never twisted. he made them up

Last edited:
Reactions: chattanoogawildcat
He’s been saying this same shit every year for 15 years, and every single year some of you bite on it and froth with blind rage.

Cal has won 6 of these tournaments. Pitino won 5. Tubby won 5. Eddie won 2. Hall won 1. Billy was drunk. UK has failed to reach the SEC semis 3 times in the last 15 years (2013, 2021, 2023). Cal is 8-2 in the semis, 6-2 in the title game, 10-2 in the quarterfinals and 0-1 on Thursday for a record of 24-7. Pretty solid record for someone who doesn’t care.

I understand the SECT run of 1992-99 was amazing to behold, but that was closer to an anomaly than the norm.

Exactly
For a guy who "doesn't care about this tournament" he's sure won quite a bit of them lol

Hilarious that the OP just blatantly makes up complete BS and a ton of people fall for it without even thinking twice. If it’s on the Internet it must be true! Morons
the pied piper plays his flute and the mice follow

As at least one has already said, the championship game doesn't affect seeding. I'm not even sure if it's possible given timing of the game vs the seeding process, but I think many here would agree based on observation.

The ACC championship game used to be on Sunday and they moved it to Saturday. SEC should do the same, not necessarily because that would impact seeding, but it would give the teams another day to rest up for the big dance.

Enjoying the individual games, especially the grudge matches, throughout the season is more important to me than winning the SEC and NCAA tournaments, although winning them means there are more exciting games to watch. So I hope we win both, but not as much for bragging rights.

Coaches want to win every game and you’re a fool to think otherwise. Quit dissecting every single word that comes out of the man’s mouth and you will save yourself of getting your blood pressure up

Reactions: mebeblue2
Sort of. But if you think he places winning titles above anything else, you're kidding yourself.
Most everyone that is into sports loves to win. If I lay a game of checkers, I want to win. A competitive fire is just within you. I have witnessed assistant coaches hold Cal back. He wants to put guys in the NBA, but if you don't think he wants to win u r kidding urself

I do feel like he's contributed to it tho.
People have this impression of Cal for a reason. His talks are mainly about the players (something I don't think is necessarily a bad thing).

I can see why people feel he doesn't care about winning or that he places things above winning which I think for most is the more accurate statement. Not many say he doesn't care about winning. Rather they say he prioritizes things over that.

I don't feel that's entirely true but I can see why some feel that way.

really, where did Cal say he does not prepare for the SECT
he never twisted he made them up
Cal himself said he was "PREPARING" for the "tournament in 2 weeks".

I said that Cal has INFERRED numerous times that the SEC Tournament is of little significance to him.

His OWN WORDS reflect this.

Reactions: BBUK and NociHTTP
I do feel like he's contributed to it tho.
People have this impression of Cal for a reason. His talks are mainly about the players (something I don't think is necessarily a bad thing).

I can see why people feel he doesn't care about winning or that he places things above winning which I think for most is the more accurate statement. Not many say he doesn't care about winning. Rather they say he prioritizes things over that.

I don't feel that's entirely true but I can see why some feel that way.
As far as the SEC tourney goes, I don't like it either. You have to win 6 games in a row to win it, you throw in the tournament, now it's 9. You throw in the end of the season...

Cal himself said he was "PREPARING" for the "tournament in 2 weeks".

I said that Cal has INFERRED numerous times that the SEC Tournament is of little significance to him.

His OWN WORDS reflect this.
Which one is more important to you? I'm not defending Cal, I just don't think a tournament is necessary, you have played 18 conference games

He said yesterday on the radio show with Leach, he didn’t really care about this tournament, the next one is the one he cares about. He also said he didn’t want to waste time watching film of both teams, because he doesn’t know which one he’ll be playing yet.

That he thinks it will be a "waste of time" tells you all you need to know about him. Only a poor and/or lazy coach would think that.

I think most know Cal’s feelings towards the SECT. I disagree with them, but I do understand where he comes from on it. He just needs to keep it simple and say something like “we look forward to seeing our fans in Nashville, we’ll use this time to fine tune ourselves before the big one.”

Yep. Most 18 yr olds know better what to say at this point.

He's like an aging pop star with just one hit over a decade ago that thinks everyone wants to hear what he has to say, blames his lack of success on the fans that buy his records, and should just stop talking and get busy writing hit songs.

Yeah but just because the results haven't been there the past few years doesn't necessarily mean that's still not the goal. Rather, we just haven't come close to achieving it.

I find it hard to believe post 15 this man has just completely changed his philosophy on these things. He has been crystal clear since 2010 about his intentions on putting people into the NBA. Why wouldn't he be crystal clear when he also expresses his desire to not lose a game all season or catch UCLA.

The guy wants both. He's always wanted both. It doesn't really make sense to me to listen to some things he says and take it as truth and completely ignore the other things that don't fit the narrative some want to paint

Not sure what you call it...Fat and sassy, just plain lazy OR a really dumb AD that took away from this coach via having something to hold him to the fire with.(His contract).., the true incentive in sports. To compete and win.... It can be debated what happened and how but it cannot be debated that the product on the court in the coaches box in over five years, (Not a few years. That is being too nice or naive.) is grossly deficient and not acceptable.

To do so little with so much.... (Try fathoming the players that have come through this program during the ENTIRE time of Coach Cal.... and the product he has produced these last over five years...)

Which one is more important to you? I'm not defending Cal, I just don't think a tournament is necessary, you have played 18 conference games
So, were all of those SEC Tournament Championships we have won over the years "important" to you????!!!!

They MOST DEFINITELY were to me!!!

Every one of Cal's Final 4 teams have made it to the SEC Tournament Championship game. That seems to be an "important" factor.

The SEC tournament has always been a BBN celebration/reunion for fans who don't typically make it to Rupp for a game(s). A deep run in the tournament is a gift from the team/coach to the fans. It's selfish of Cal to discount that aspect.

Some spends thousands of dollars to go see and support the Cats. They overwhelm the arena for their team. They deserve a great effort from not only the players but the coaches also. But I can see the point he made about prepping for a team that loses. Kind of a tough situation.

Still appalled that the Sunday final hasn't been changed. Hate it!

Get ready for the team to come out flat, lackadaisical, and just flat out uninterested. A team plays like their coach.

I actually see this team motivating themselves. They are playing for each other, rooting for each other. It is contagious. (Cal did expound playing for each other as well. Not a bad mantra but preach it and live it Cal...) (Coach for them Cal, coach for them...give it your best!)

Last edited:
Some of ya'll are such big babies about the phrasing our coach uses. Have you not thought that maybe just maybe the best way to prepare for the tournament in 2 weeks would be to play as well as possible in the tournament this week and execute? Why are we treating the SEC and NCAA tournaments as if they are mutally exclusive? Did Cal say it doesn't matter at all how we look in the SEC tournament? I don't think so....

I doubt it. If he were that worried about it he would just not play them during the tourney, since he doesn't care if we win or lose for it.

He's probably afraid he will get outcoached badly in this setting with all the SEC coaches. So he is just going to take the position that he doesn't care if they win or lose. Built -m excuse!

Maybe I'm wrong and he coaches his ass off and we win it. Noting would make me happier. I wouldn't mind frying up and eating a double helping of crow!
Your original post and this post are two of the dumbest posts I have ever read on here.

The Field of 68 last night had one of the guys say most coaches in the P5 hate these conference tournaments. It doesn't sound exclusive to Calipari.

* I forgot to add. He didn't say they weren't trying to win them. That they just don't like them.

I'd think it's because they'd be leary of playing 3 games in 3 days which could raise the chances of injury happening.

* I forgot to add. He didn't say they weren't trying to win them. That they just don't like them.

I'd think it's because they'd be leary of playing 3 games in 3 days which could raise the chances of injury happening.

I said this as well earlier in the thread. It's beyond obvious that he's scared of an injury right before the big dance but some have dug in. They've cried wolf one too many times and cant be taken seriously. Heck, some of them aren't even UK fans.

Cal said that he's going to spend the week playing pickleball. At least, I think that's what he said.

Coach Rupp is often quoted about winning something to the effect of “that’s why they keep score “.

They also have record books. A lot of UK fans are proud of where UK stands in those books. The number of games won, winning percentage and the hardware picked up along the way means a lot to BBN.

They fill large arenas and travel a lot of miles and spend a good deal of money to support THEIR wildcats.

Considering the $9,000,000 compensation, I don’t think it’s asking too much from our coach to make every effort to win every game, OOC, conference, tournament. If we play it, we want to win it.
I understand everything you said about our Wildcats. Cal cares about winning every game he puts his team on the court. He made these comments after we won the tournament and didn’t improve our seed in the NCAA. The answer he was given is the games played on Sunday and the seeds are done by then. He was just voicing his opinion of why play it then??? I get it. Give your team another days rest. He wanted the tourney moved to end Saturday like the ACC so the committee can consider the champion. The NCAA uses the SEC as the goat to garner money on Sunday that doesn’t even matter. Lord knows they would not do that to UNC and Duke their favorites in the ACC. Their champion matters. Don’t mean squat for the SEC champions. That’s the way the NCAA wants it. Context is everything when interpreting a quote.

ADVERTISEMENT
ADVERTISEMENT