ADVERTISEMENT

I Was Wrong - We are More Than Fine

Jan 5, 2018
I do wish Cal the best. My initially thought was panic. However, I think the brand is just too big to fail. We will be fine.

I don’t want Cal to fail, but even with Tyson NIL money, I just don’t see this working. And by not working, I mean failing to make even a Sweet 16 like here recently. Maybe he was better off just riding off into the sunset. I’m not sure this will end well at all for him.

Even the people freaking out about Scott Drew here are ridiculous. Fielding 2-3 teams that were actual contenders for the title in the past 6 years, that’s a solid rate.

Bigger brand, better location, Craft just made a huge commitment in NIL, Drew has been an elite coach in the transfer portal era.

Wright and Oats are happy where they’re at. If UConn can pony up the dough then Hurley will be there until he retires or goes to the NBA. Donovan hasn’t coached college in a decade, maybe he’d kill it in the transfer portal/NIL hellscape, maybe he’d hate his life and be ready to take the first job back into the NBA.

Drew is actually a great hire, all things considered.

Even the people freaking out about Scott Drew here are ridiculous. Fielding 2-3 teams that were actual contenders for the title in the past 6 years, that’s a solid rate.

Bigger brand, better location, Craft just made a huge commitment in NIL, Drew has been an elite coach in the transfer portal era.

Wright and Oats are happy where they’re at. If UConn can pony up the dough then Hurley will be there until he retires or goes to the NBA. Donovan hasn’t coached college in a decade, maybe he’d kill it in the transfer portal/NIL hellscape, maybe he’d hate his life and be ready to take the first job back into the NBA.

I think we can also safely assume that Pearl is not and was not anywhere on UK’s list. Thankfully.

The trolls that were stirring shit up more like it. Drew might not be everybody’s first pick but after what we just went through for the last five seasons, no real fan is wanting to roll with Cal over Drew.

I think Cal got into a high stakes game and got his bluff called. Neither he or Ellen looked like people happy to be moving on.
Wasn’t there initially word that assistants would be replaced and then word that they wouldn’t? I think Cal tried to gain leverage on keeping everything “as is” and Barny stood firm. I guess we’ll never know.

Reactions: catzcan
Wasn’t there initially word that assistants would be replaced and then word that they wouldn’t? I think Cal tried to gain leverage on keeping everything “as is” and Barny stood firm. I guess we’ll never know.
I think you’re right. Cal didn’t think he had so little leverage. But he had little to none. This wasn’t 2017.

I’m glad you have realized that. We will always get a good coach. Maybe not exactly who we thought or all wanted. We will always get players. Cal didn’t invent UK basketball.
We always get a good coach??? Do you not remember the Billy G. days? That was Mitch's hire. Cal was Lee Todd's hire. I'm a little concerned with Mitch making this hire. Hopefully he is not alone on this and is getting good counsel

I’m glad you have realized that. We will always get a good coach. Maybe not exactly who we thought or all wanted. We will always get players. Cal didn’t invent UK basketball.
Can you win a NC with just a good coach? There are a lot of them around.

I think Cal got into a high stakes game and got his bluff called. Neither he or Ellen looked like people happy to be moving on.

You have to also consider that the contract is still not final yet. The Arky board is meeting today to approve the salary, which is so much higher than Musselman's. Maybe it is a "done deal" but having dealt with boards for the past 35 years I can tell you that I wouldn't be sleeping well if I were Cal and Ellen.

I still remember Tubby hiring an assistant at Minny and the school overruling him AFTER the poor guy had left his previous position. Stranger things have happened.

A lot of wishful thinking going on here.

Unless Barney hits a honerun, we are in for a long few years. Drew is going to be Tubby all over again, minus inheriting a championship level team.

Do you enjoy winning conference tournaments? Drew has never won one in 21 years of coaching.

Do you enjoy winning conference titles? Drew has managed to share 2 of them in 21 years!

Do you enjoy making deep runs in the tournament? Well, in 21 years, Drew has been to the Sw16 5 times. He has made it past the sw16 3 times. Only once has he ever made it past the E8.

In the last 12 years, he has been past the Sw16 once. In the last 7 years he has been past the 2nd rd once.

I know, I know, "but he won a title at Baylor!" However, post 2010 what advantages have they not had that other school haven't? They are a wealthy school with major donor money, particularly big oil money. They are located in a state the typically produces the most top ranked recruits each year. Baylor has invested heavily in Drew and the program. He has recruited well there, so it's not as if they were deprived talent. They are also in a P5 conference, that is one of the better basketball conferences.

Also, his title team only had to play about half a seasons worth of games. They pretty much had the entire month of February off to rest leading into the tournament. Teams were having to leave the tournament due to covid. Players were sitting out for fevers and coughs, even without a positive test. That tournament was an anomaly and a mess.

I am just curious how anyone realistically thinks his record translates to success at UK?

I thought the same thing. They didn’t look happy at all.

After watching Billy Donovan’s recent interview, I really believe he wants the job this time. I think this is a situation that will work out the best for everyone

Unless Barney hits a honerun, we are in for a long few years. Drew is going to be Tubby all over again, minus inheriting a championship level team.

Do you enjoy winning conference tournaments? Drew has never won one in 21 years of coaching.

Do you enjoy winning conference titles? Drew has managed to share 2 of them in 21 years!

Do you enjoy making deep runs in the tournament? Well, in 21 years, Drew has been to the Sw16 5 times. He has made it past the sw16 3 times. Only once has he ever made it past the E8.

In the last 12 years, he has been past the Sw16 once. In the last 7 years he has been past the 2nd rd once.

I know, I know, "but he won a title at Baylor!" However, post 2010 what advantages have they not had that other school haven't? They are a wealthy school with major donor money, particularly big oil money. They are located in a state the typically produces the most top ranked recruits each year. Baylor has invested heavily in Drew and the program. He has recruited well there, so it's not as if they were deprived talent. They are also in a P5 conference, that is one of the better basketball conferences.

Also, his title team only had to play about half a seasons worth of games. They pretty much had the entire month of February off to rest leading into the tournament. Teams were having to leave the tournament due to covid. Players were sitting out for fevers and coughs, even without a positive test. That tournament was an anomaly and a mess.

I am just curious how anyone realistically thinks his record translates to success at UK?
Good luck working overtime to get people angry about something they have no control over.

Reactions: chroix and jbne222

When you realize you're not getting an elite coach, you have to convince yourself Ugly Suzy was your 1st choice all along..

UK will be just fine with Drew. He will do amazing here with our resources.

No other school has that kind of fan backing and boosters are coming back now, it's not all on Craft.

The man took over a program literally on the brink of death that is number 3 or four in it's state and look what he has done.

Is Hurley better at the moment, yes, but even if we get him, it's 2-3 years at most before NBA comes calling. He'd be only one year if we make a Final Four next year with him.

Billy D would probably retire from here, but he is a huge unknown for modern college (he would do really good to in my opinion but there is more risk)

Oats is similar to Drew minus the title and plays a flashier style. (for the record he was my preferred hire)

Reactions: KFuqua

Drew is bringing his top 12 team and his 3rd ranked recruiting class with him, along with the Craft’s pledging to pump millions into NIL, which should result in a successful transfer portal season.

Not to mention, some of Cal’s recruits may be going to the highest bidder instead of following him, let’s put our bid in for JQ.

We’re not rebuilding in any more significant way than were always rebuilding our roster year over year.

Can you win a NC with just a good coach? There are a lot of them around.
The thing is , there are no great coaches left anymore. Self and Pitino are it and we aren’t getting either. The rest have retired. So we are left with some good coaches in the game that many on this board are not willing to give a chance. I am tired of it all. Just glad Cal is gone and we are starting fresh. Whoever we get I will support.

Drew is bringing his top 12 team and his 3rd ranked recruiting class with him, along with the Craft’s pledging to pump millions into NIL, which should result in a successful transfer portal season.

Not to mention, some of Cal’s recruits may be going to the highest bidder instead of following him, let’s put our bid in for JQ.

We’re not rebuilding in any more significant way than were always rebuilding our roster year over year.
His top 12 team that just go bounced in the tournament in the 2nd rd, which has occured the last 3 years. Oh, boy!

1 of those 3 recruits is unranked. Don't be at all surprised if those players also go elsewhere. Would not be surprised to see VJ go to Duke.

Cal was at least adept at getting players. Even if the results become disappointing. I don't think Drew is going to be quite as good at that part. It's going to be a very hodgepodge team he puts together. I honestly wouldn't expect to even make the tournament in year 1 with him.

His top 12 team that just go bounced in the tournament in the 2nd rd, which has occured the last 3 years. Oh, boy!

1 of those 3 recruits is unranked. Don't be at all surprised if those players also go elsewhere. Would not be surprised to see VJ go to Duke.

Cal was at least adept at getting players. Even if the results become disappointing. I don't think Drew is going to be quite as good at that part. It's going to be a very hodgepodge team he puts together. I honestly wouldn't expect to even make the tournament in year 1 with him.
Yeah I’m sure VJ is going to go to Duke to play in Flagg’s shadow.

LeBron James could somehow regain eligibility and commit to Kentucky next season and you’d be on here being miserable.

We’re getting a top 5 coach in college basketball, the best coach available. You want a hodgepodge rough season next year? Wait a month to hire Billy Donovan, it would be cobbled together scraps from the transfer portal.

We always get a good coach??? Do you not remember the Billy G. days? That was Mitch's hire. Cal was Lee Todd's hire. I'm a little concerned with Mitch making this hire. Hopefully he is not alone on this and is getting good counsel
Drew is not BCG.
Anything can happen, lets just hope they have learned from the past mistakes.

Reactions: JoshAllenFan
Yeah I’m sure VJ is going to go to Duke to play in Flagg’s shadow.

LeBron James could somehow regain eligibility and commit to Kentucky next season and you’d be on here being miserable.

We’re getting a top 5 coach in college basketball, the best coach available. You want a hodgepodge rough season next year? Wait a month to hire Billy Donovan, it would be cobbled together scraps from the transfer portal.
Lol, Flagg and VJ don't even play the same position. I think they can play together and be highly successful. Why did MKG come here to play in Davis' shadow? LMAO

Lebron can't shoot that well and is currently a bit injury prone, so it wouldn't be that exciting.

Never winning a conference tournament, and losing in the first weekend 6 of the last 7 tournaments is top 5 for you? 🤣

Reactions: WildcatsAndBourbon
I have spent a lot of time in Northwest Arkansas. I can’t imagine Ellen being happy there…nor him. Living by nearly any QOL measures in a great place on Richmond Road in Lexington and then moving to Fayetteville? If you’ve spent anytime there, ugh. Ellen will spend most of her time in Nashville.

Drew is not BCG.
Anything can happen, lets just hope they have learned from the past mistakes.
I didn't imply that Drew was anything like BCG. It was more about the fact that Mitch hired BCG and that mistakes can be made. This isn't a gauranteed slam dunk situation. I will be thrilled with Scott Drew as our coach. Mitch has a spotty track record of hiring coaches. Elzy, BCG, Joker, etc...

The dipshits thought we got to hang banners for recruiting classes not results.

Reactions: sluggercatfan
Even Billy G. won a NCAA tournament game, which is proving very difficult for Cal now.

I have spent a lot of time in Northwest Arkansas. I can’t imagine Ellen being happy there…nor him. Living by nearly any QOL measures in a great place on Richmond Road in Lexington and then moving to Fayetteville? If you’ve spent anytime there, ugh. Ellen will spend most of her time in Nashville.
I spent a lot of time in Bella Vista which is a little north of Fayetteville. I liked the area pretty well.

ADVERTISEMENT
ADVERTISEMENT