ADVERTISEMENT

Hand Up - I Was Wrong

He lost to 11 seed Duquesne in the tournament last year. I don’t understand the BYU didn’t have enough talent argument. Surely they had more talent than Duquesne!

Watched the game. His team got out-athleted by Duquesne(other than Jaxson Robinson who was the only guy that played well). They came out and pushed them around and were hotter than usual while BYU missed a ton of open shots early. Traore on BYU missed about 7 open 2 footers. The big fat guy that went to Louisville Khalifa was touted as being the facilitator of their offense but he played so poorly that Pope had to keep taking him out for Traore. I think Waterman got injured in the game. Not much for Pope to do with the squad he had in this one.

Of course, we have no idea how the actual coaching of this roster will go and what the results will be, but I think given the short timeframe, Pope has done one of, if not the greatest, jobs ever of assembling a roster for a coach’s first and abbreviated offseason at a new school in the portal/NIL era. Giving him any grade other than an A+ is just hating. And yes, I was a hater.
Yes you were, and you were the only one 😉

Not really, just confused by how many posters talk about how amazing if a coach he is. 2 years ago in the WCC he finished 19-15, last year he lost to 11 seed Duquesne.

I’m just not sold on him until he actually proves he can win at a high level.
So you would have never hired Dan Hurley. Because he went out in the first round his first two seasons at UCONN, probably the best program in the nation currently.

We do know how his coach style is and now he plays a roster. His roster was not really that deep last year, had about 8 guys that should play quality minutes and he still played 11 guys. He is about playing 100% as long as you can, come out let the next guy play 100% and keep subbing. If you stand around in Popes offense you will be doing so on the sideline. I am surprised Pope does not have the guys on the bench in the tunnel warming up. lol

They will move for 40 minutes on offense. He did have a few sets run for the one power forward that was slower than the other sets but that was limited minutes a game.

Pope has done something I can't remember another coach doing . Starting from total scratch n built a roster that can contend for a title. His,hustlecis un matched. Now I am concerned about Pope's coaching as he's never really succeeded anywhere. Granted he Wasco ly a coach like 8 years and only 4 at a somewhat major school . He never did anything at BYU of note . It's not even like he coached BYU to a EE or even a s16. He won nothing. Not saying he won't here maybe he needed access to right players I don't know. All I know is he's humble and hustles like a mad man.

ADVERTISEMENT
ADVERTISEMENT