ADVERTISEMENT

I think a change is coming.

I agree with the other poster. If the starting lineup is supposedly the best lineup how come we never see it again n game?
Yeah, just not a good lineup at all. DJ is showing to be better off the ball, Ugo has regressed, and JE is showing to be better as a small ball 4. The success and identity to this team is spread and playing fast. That lineup is pretty stagnant.

Reactions: NociHTTP
For those that don't understand BB. You want to come out and jump on a team. Especially a bad 500 team at home. You want to take their soul early on and then just lean on them. Not put a lineup together that gives them hope and trades baskets. If you won't end with a team, don't put them out there to break a teams spirit.

I think that's why you see these losers hanging around building confidence early. Is Cal just this stupid?

Seriously people, you jump on teams, especially bad teams at home. You don't let teans build confidence. Arkansas sucks and is chaos. But they have good players and like all the SEC hate Kentucky.

You don't let them build confidence. This is not rocket science. PLEASE GOD MAKE IT STOP! CAL THIS IS NOT ROCKET SCIENCE!
Season 18 Episode 22 GIF by The Simpsons

Cowbois would be ok with CCC starting Bradshaw and Edwards over Wall and Boogie all year.

I'm not arguing the starting lineup is better than any other lineup. But you're also missing the point that the subs coming in and going on a run is part of the strategy of starting who we do. You let the other team think they got their feet under them and then sub in spark plugs and punch them in the face.

Lineup +/- will show some lineups are better than others. But that's hasn't been the major complaint. The major complaint with the starting lineup has been the starting five always puts us in big holes we spend the rest of the half digging out of. That just isn't true.

I'm not isolating any single run in an single game. But there are ample data points at this point of the subs letting the other team go on a big run. Sometimes runs happen and there's no lineup you can start that guarantees you start fast. Starting slow has been a problem with us for years. It's much less a lineup thing and more a team wide thing. People complained about it last year and the year before that too.

There are a couple combinations of five guys that have worked out really well recently and Cal's leaning on them to end games. But that's also due in large part to Z improving his defense immensely and making it much harder not to play him. I'm glad we have a few killer lineups, I'm not convinced starting them will make us start games or halves any better.

Never more than 21 mins in these.

Today:
Z 20 mins 12pts, 9REBS, 1 assist, 1 steal and 2 blocks. 0 TO

21 mins MISSst 2pts, 4 rebs, 1 steal and 3 blocks. 0 TO

20 mins Bama 18pts, 5 rebs, 4 blocks 1 TO.

Only games he's played more than 3 mins since Zags.
11 mins. 7pts, 3 rebs, 1 block and 1 TO.

Now that's lately in won't even dig up his breakout against GA. Oh why not, 16 mins. 13pts, 5 rebs, 2 assist, 3 blocks and 2 TOs in 1st ever major action.

His +- makes people advocating against him look stupid. But he'll the eye test does that. YOU DO REALIZE HE HAS HAD THE LEAST PLAY OF ALL 3. ONLY 5 GAMES OVER 12 MINS. Dude is the answer and if you can't see it I don't know what to tell you.

Forget about most blocks per mins, best FG%, 3 pt% and FT% of all 3 bigs.
I never said he wasn't the answer. He's talented and has a great feel for game. All I said was you're wrong for complaining Bradshaw wasn't worthy of starting 2nd half yesterday.

Z is not good at all on defense bro. Sure he can help his cause with a block or 2 . When he is guarding his man 15 ft out and the guy decides to drive, z doesn't move until the guy is almost passed him.
Offensively he's a B+
Defensively he's probably a D. It's like he's never been taught anything on playing D

I never said he wasn't the answer. He's talented and has a great feel for game. All I said was you're wrong for complaining Bradshaw wasn't worthy of starting 2nd half yesterday.

Z is not good at all on defense bro. Sure he can help his cause with a block or 2 . When he is guarding his man 15 ft out and the guy decides to drive, z doesn't move until the guy is almost passed him.
Offensively he's a B+
Defensively he's probably a D. It's like he's never been taught anything on playing D

What are you even talking about? As of recent, Z has been playing better defense than both Bradshaw and Ugo. Yeah, he looked like complete ass in one instance, when Arkansas put him in an iso. All 3 of our 7 footers have looked like ass defensively, at various times. You can't just single one of em out.

Tre Mitchell shouldn't be playing many minutes at all right now. He absolutely killed that lineup.
I largely agree that Tre should be used as a bench piece at this point, but he didn't sub in until Arkansas had already cut the lead to 3 or 4. The majority of that run took place without him.

What are you even talking about? As of recent, Z has been playing better defense than both Bradshaw and Ugo. Yeah, he looked like complete ass in one instance, when Arkansas put him in an iso. All 3 of our 7 footers have looked like ass defensively, at various times. You can't just single one of em out.
It was every game up to the miss St game and Arkansas. He would come in and be lost, couldn't leave him on the court.

I'm not the one that started this bogus as* thread. It was stated that cal didn't start z because of his love for 5 star recruits. A love that resulted in Bradshaw sitting the bench for 3 weeks smh lol

Reactions: coachcombs57
It was every game up to the miss St game and Arkansas. He would come in and be lost, couldn't leave him on the court.

The kid started playing in January, not November. He's about 3 months behind. Good lord.

Bradshaw played well against Arkansas. Did you even watch the game?
He did. Not really on D but he had his first good game in forever. That's not what we were discussing. I was just saying the guy has his first good half and starts the 2bd half but Z has had a bunch of good games in the few he's got click but yet he never has gotten a single half start.

Especially Bama I think he deserved to start the 2nd half. I'm not a Bradshaw hater I like him and have. I just don't think he has the upside or D Z has. I feel like Z us the total package. Not perfect but our best shot for March. I like Bradshaw and him splitting time if Bradshaw can keep it up. More than 1 game.

The kid started playing in January, not November. He's about 3 months behind. Good lord.
3 months?? Nov to Jan is 2 months any way u want to slice it.
First of all he's not new to basketball
He went through the draft process and played professional basketball before getting here.

• Haha
Reactions: Mike-D
I think Reed looks for the highest quality of shot every single time and sometimes he just needs to let it fly. Reed is a difference maker on both sides of the ball and reasoning he played more mins than anyone today.
Sometimes when he shoots that 30' shot I'm like what...then it goes in

At this point, I can't see a starting lineup change. Just hope the trigger is quick for a lineup change when someone isn't getting the job done before going down big early in a Tournament game.

I'll bet whatever you want to bet that the starting line up is different Wednesday night. And I'm not even a gambler.

Starting lineup change, is fixing to happen. Cal sees it and knows it needs to happen.
Maybe Cal doesn't want to show his poker hand too soon. He has to know what he's got. It's an opposite approach to 2015 were we won every game. It's also kinda like the platoon were he's making pretty big substitutions and has maintained that late into the season. I think he is gonna unleash the best lineups and strategy when we get into March. He's developing as many as possible but has also had to make adjustments due to injury. All in all we have line ups that weren't possible a month ago and this team is constantly evolving with an elite core.

ADVERTISEMENT
ADVERTISEMENT