ADVERTISEMENT

I don't understand the hatred.....

source.gif

Reactions: JKBCAT
think Cal is a great fit for UK, but his stubbornness is troublesome
when teams are chewing up his defense, why not change something...…..anything

that & his lack of recruiting KY kids

I’m sick of it, especially how much they hated his comments on UT. Multiple players with bad games last night, credit to Tenn for fighting back, and good defense on bad offense.
Also Quickley has one bad game and seen multiple posts about him being the next Hagans. Don’t get me started on Hagans, and the year round hate for him.
I personally think this loss will help more than hurt, considering we were going to get a screwed by the committee anyway.

When you make that kind of money, you set yourself up for the criticism. You are expected to produce at that level.
Criticizing the coach or team is one thing but the op is right, some poster just straight up dislike the man. Of course I think he’s a great coach considering what this job entails.

Reactions: ABlockalypseBrow
Not even close.

If we make the Sweet 16 this year and go, say, 29-8, Cal's winning percentage is essentially identical to what Tubby was between 2001-2005 and the tournament records would be identical:

Second Round - 1
Sweet 16 - 2
Elite 8 - 2

Facts don't care about your feelings. We're basically getting Tubby results.

Reactions: KyFaninNC
You can definitely not be a "hater" while also recognizing that for the last 5 years we're basically getting Tubby Smith on-court results.
Tubby results? When did we get beat in the second round with the number one overall seed? What a stupid comment

Reactions: CatTough
What exactly he is delivering- a title contender almost every year.

Fair enough, but I thought "close enough" applied to playing horseshoes and throwing hand grenades. For me the "lunacy" is that any collegiate coach, not just Cal, are compensated at that level. But hey, good him and God Bless.

None the less, as Cal recently told the players, "You are what your stats say you are.. that is it", so at this point Cal has one title and multiple misses. Guess it goes without saying, he gets to take the good, the money, with the bad, the vitriol.

FWIW, I felt bad for him during the press conference last night as it was obvious he felt bad.

If we make the Sweet 16 this year and go, say, 29-8, Cal's winning percentage is essentially identical to what Tubby was between 2001-2005 and the tournament records would be identical:

Second Round - 1
Sweet 16 - 2
Elite 8 - 2

Facts don't care about your feelings. We're basically getting Tubby results.
It isn’t about my feelings. It’s about facts. Tubby’s last couple of years he couldn’t even make it out of the first weekend after making an Elite 8 in 2005. Cal has been to two Elite 8s and a Sweet 16 the past three years. He also won 30 plus games two of those years. So you are damn clueless comparing the two.

Reactions: CatTough and BlobUK
It isn’t about my feelings. It’s about facts. Tubby’s last couple of years he couldn’t even make it out of the first weekend after making an Elite 8 in 2005. Cal has been to two Elite 8s and a Sweet 16 the past three years. He also won 30 plus games two of those years. So you are damn clueless comparing the two.
Exactly, he is another idiot that post stupid shit

Reactions: irishcat1965

I know you’re old and don’t like numbers but current Cal is basically what Tubby was before his last two years and after his championship.

Fair enough, but I thought "close enough" applied to playing horseshoes and throwing hand grenades. For me the "lunacy" is that any collegiate coach, not just Cal, are compensated at that level. But hey, good him and God Bless.

None the less, as Cal recently told the players, "You are what your stats say you are.. that is it", so at this point Cal has one title and multiple misses. Guess it goes without saying, he gets to take the good, the money, with the bad, the vitriol.

FWIW, I felt bad for him during the press conference last night as it was obvious he felt bad.
Cal does have a couple of misses. Just like Pitino and Hall. Coach K gets paid about what Cal does and couldn’t make the final four with Zion and a team full of first round picks last year.

I’ve always gotten the impression that some fans have few hobbies outside of Kentucky basketball, and that’s fine. To each their own. We have fans with tremendous passion. Some of them struggle harnessing that passion in a mature manner. Every win, you might as well cancel the season and give us #9 for some. Some are never happy with a win though so there’s some differences there. Every loss, it’s time for Cal to go with some of the fans.

Reactions: JKBCAT
This team is not a title contender. We're basically a title contender every other year at this point and even those teams are "2 seeds that could win a title" type teams.. We haven't been an actual favorite to win a title since 2015.

Reactions: KyFaninNC
I just see the hatred on here. During a game like last night, I get so mad. I get mad at the players, at Cal, at the announcers, at the opponent, etc. Every UK loss is emotional and upsetting to me. BUT, at the end of the night, I know what this sport is. I have played it post high school and coached it at all levels up to high school. It is a game of highs and lows (similar to life). It's a game where sometimes things don't go your way. We became disengaged last night and saw frustrations set it. But, get back up and keep improving. We have taken HUGE steps forward over the last month and last night was an outlier.

The short answer is: UNREALISTIC expectations and people who have a fictitious view of sports and the game. They see UK Basketball existing to satisfy them and don't realize how hard you have to work to play this game at a high level.

Cal does have a couple of misses. Just like Pitino and Hall. Coach K gets paid about what Cal does and couldn’t make the final four with Zion and a team full of first round picks last year.

Not sure how that is relevant since this dialogue is specific to Cal. Plus did not Cal say KY is the "Gold Standard" that others compare themselves to?

Not sure how that is relevant since this dialogue is specific to Cal. Plus did not Cal say KY is the "Gold Standard" that others compare themselves to?
Well it is relevant to look at other UK coaches success. And UK is the gold standard but UK still only has 4 titles the past 60 years. If you think the gold standard only means NCAA titles, then UK has failed miserably since 1958. But it is bigger and encompasses more than that.

Not even close.

It actually isn't that far off. If you take away the last 2 years when Tubby was trying to leave town. His 5 years before that compared to Cal's last 5 years (including this one) are almost identical.

Cal also has an advantage of like 3 or 4 more games played a year that Tubby didn't have. For example, in 2005 we made the SEC Tournament Championship Game and the Elite 8. We only played 34 games. If this team does the same, they will have played in 38 games.

Taking that into account, that's about 15 more wins (or you could subtract 15 from Cal's numbers instead) for Tubby with the same amount of games played. He won 133 + the 15 = 148 wins. Right now Cal is at 139 with the potential to be 149 wins. Nearly identical number. If we get to a Sweet Sixteen this year, it will also be the exact same postseason results.

So there is a lot of similarities to the Tubby years with the way things are going for Cal now.

It actually isn't that far off. If you take away the last 2 years when Tubby was trying to leave town. His 5 years before that compared to Cal's last 5 years (including this one) are almost identical.

Cal also has an advantage of like 3 or 4 more games played a year that Tubby didn't have. For example, in 2005 we made the SEC Tournament Championship Game and the Elite 8. We only played 34 games. If this team does the same, they will have played in 38 games.

Taking that into account, that's about 15 more wins (or you could subtract 15 from Cal's numbers instead) for Tubby with the same amount of games played. He won 133 + the 15 = 148 wins. Right now Cal is at 139 with the potential to be 149 wins. Nearly identical number. If we get to a Sweet Sixteen this year, it will also be the exact same postseason results.

So there is a lot of similarities to the Tubby years with the way things are going for Cal now.

Wasting your time. He isn’t phased by dumb things like facts or numbers.

For Cal, Some of the posters on here seem to think that UK should go 40-0 every season.
Coach of the decade and some want him gone. Absolute insanity. I hope Cal stays for another 20 years. Go Cats!!!!!
Yep, I know the loss to ut was inexcusable but this has been a fun season! Some of these miserable people need to just stop watching. If you can’t enjoy the journey, you don’t deserve to celebrate when we win.

ADVERTISEMENT

Latest posts

ADVERTISEMENT