ADVERTISEMENT

I don’t understand everyone’s worry

etowncatfan

All-SEC
Gold Member
Jan 4, 2003
About not having an Alpha Scorer. It looks like all these guys have played on teams where they weren’t asked to be the Alpha scorer. Doesn’t mean that they can’t be. Look at last years UK teams. Seems like many a game a different Player was the Alpha Scorer with Reeves getting his quietly. I think the balance will continue.

About not having an Alpha Scorer. It looks like all these guys have played on teams where they weren’t asked to be the Alpha scorer. Doesn’t mean that they can’t be. Look at last years UK teams. Seems like many a game a different Player was the Alpha Scorer with Reeves getting his quietly. I think the balance will continue.
It’s not required. I mean if lots of guys can hit a big bucket when the game is on the line, (that should be the case with juniors and seniors) it will be harder for the defense. We’ll be fine if we can shoot as a team in Pope’s system and not if we can’t. It’s going to start coming down to the players executing, which is all any reasonable fan could hope for.

Reactions: chroix
Pope will add at least two more, and I'm pretty sure both will be guys who can get us 12 to 15 points any given night.
Yes. Players who are "testing the NBA waters" have until the end of May to pull out of the draft. We'll add a couple of more guys. My hope is to get Robinson but I'm sure the staff has a few others on the board.

Yes. Players who are "testing the NBA waters" have until the end of May to pull out of the draft. We'll add a couple of more guys. My hope is to get Robinson but I'm sure the staff has a few others on the board.
I'm hoping for Lanier, Robinson, and Boyed.

I know folks love Wells, and I'd love to get him as well, but Robinson already knows Pope's system, and that could prove invaluable.

Lanier gives you that guy who can get 16 to 18 points/game and do so with elite efficiency. He was ranked #1 in offensive efficiency last year. He's a 51, 44, 88 shooter and a good rebounder.

I like this team already. Seven guys capable of shooting thirty five percent or better from three. I'm not sure about the strength of rebounding, But when a back up four is added I'd like to see a tough guy that gets a lot of boards. What would you think of asking jordan burks to come back?

Last edited:
I’ve been a fan now for 50 years. 2 weeks ago I was worried. Now I’m only concerned about how the team chemistry develops. Still, I have tempered expectations for this year. The break even for me personally will be 20 wins. NCAA tournament and a first round win rises us above the break even for first year success. Less than 20 wins would be a little disappointing for me.

This is where I’m at now. There remains too many unknowns at this point. I suspect that most of us, when we evaluate the big picture, are at the same point.

Scoring is something i believe we won't have to worry about too often. An 'alpha' will develop from our final roster.

But yes, it would be nice to drop in a top 20 prospect who could be a 1 and done to go along with everyone else. Cal's problem was he thought just sticking a bunch of talented young kids together will just work itself out and he can keep eating his FROYO. Unless you have an Anthony Davis in the group, usually doesn't work out.

I don’t either. Basketball is a team sport and we have a good coach that is ready, willing & able to teach, and a roster filled with experienced and skilled players.

I've just got every digit crossed that we get Robinson on this squad.

Not only as an incredible roster/rotation piece but its someone with actual experience in Popes system that knows what to do and what is expected.

Maybe I'm putting too much into it, but I think that would be monumental to getting the team to gel and learn the system quicker than starting just 100% completely from scratch.

Not only is he a hell of a player, but he can be the voice on the court to help get the team on the same page with a new system

For the lack of star power this squad will have, I'm hoping/assuming that the coaching upgrade takes care of the rest.

I don't think Pope is going to erase half time adjustments and write the word "fight" on the board. I don't think anyone's getting BYU to the level they've been at without serious coaching chops.

Reactions: Cats192
Fans have been accustomed to the way Cal coached his teams. If players couldn't create their own shot consistently, they likely struggled here. Pope doesn't have a unique system per se, but he uses different concepts and plays to create open shots. If he needs a double stagger screen to get the right player a shot, you'll see it. If the defense is playing too tight, you'll see a zoom handoff and back cut at the rim.

The difference with this group is that they'll actually run set plays once a defense sets up in the half court. We'll hedge and make a team pick whether to blitz the screens to take away the shot, or having to cover cuts and dives. The days of ISO hero ball and jacking up poor shots at the end of the shot clock are done here.

I understand the concern from the fans. This is a completely new roster with a completely new coach and style of play. Do I think we will realistically be competing for a final four year one? No. Is that the assignment however? Absolutely! That doesn't mean I'm down on this team or it's coaching staff though. I think there is definitely potential there and I'm excited to see the potential that awaits this new change in leadership.

Reactions: lazycat75
Cal has some folks locked in on the number of stars still. If you can’t figure out what the value of a five star freshman is vs a four star fifth year senior you probably never will.
Correctamundo!

Con-Man Cal has our fan base "Calcified" and star-gazing (just like our FB fan base was "Mummefied" for years with a "Throw it deep....I'd rather lose 72-50 than 21-17" mentality).

If Pope were running an AAU "out talent the man in front of you" offense a la Cal, we would be in trouble.

Coach Pope is running a high scoring offensive system that requires...wait for it... teamwork with plays, screens, cuts, and a premium on the open man getting the shot because an open shot trumps a contested shot (similar to Phil Jackson of the Bulls/Lakers). It's crazy, I know.

Anyway, Pope should load out the remainder of his roster and seek scorers for sure, but if not--go get seasoned role players who can dribble, pass, shoot, defend and devote some minutes to the new offense's frenetic pace. We're going to wear out opponents in old pitino fashion, and we will need every capable and experienced man on the bench to contribute.

GBB!

The phrase seems to be a magic incantation for people that freezes the mind. It's as if everyone agreed we needed a flenk in order to be successful.

"There is no such thing as a flenk."
"Well, then, we're screwed."

Or "hot shooter". Everyone agrees: feed the hot shooter. Analytics shows there is no such thing. What do you say to that? "Feed the hot shooter".

Or "clutch players." Analytics show there are no clutch players. What do you say to that? "That Manny Hernandez Samioto. He was clutch. That time he hit those 2 homers to win against the Yankees. You can't tell me he wasn't clutch."

All the dude/stud/dog/bucket talk is quite possibly the most annoying thing I’ve experienced here in a while. Unfortunately it’s the thing everyone has latched on and they no longer have an original thought to share.

The TEAM will be fine. Pope will add more players. We could add Lanier and people would still be complaining and wanting a dog or a stud, because Lanier is just a bucket. It’s too dumb to be comical.

The phrase seems to be a magic incantation for people that freezes the mind. It's as if everyone agreed we needed a flenk in order to be successful.

"There is no such thing as a flenk."
"Well, then, we're screwed."

Or "hot shooter". Everyone agrees: feed the hot shooter. Analytics shows there is no such thing. What do you say to that? "Feed the hot shooter".

Or "clutch players." Analytics show there are no clutch players. What do you say to that? "That Manny Hernandez Samioto. He was clutch. That time he hit those 2 homers to win against the Yankees. You can't tell me he wasn't clutch."
Jamal Murray is clutch. You want that guy taking the shot every time.

Reactions: RunninRichie
I'm not worried.

Do you realize every single scholarship player on this team was listed as a 4 star by 247. The 7 transfers are all 4 star transfers. And the two recruits were both 4 stars out of high school. There is star power on this team. I’m pretty sure his last couple of scholarship players will be bucket getters

ADVERTISEMENT
ADVERTISEMENT