ADVERTISEMENT

Huge win for seeding if we don’t drop the rope

“slip up” is a better choice of words than regress.

I unfrotunately, think we have another slip up coming. I don't think we're quite there yet. Still some questionable sub moves, DJ is just too shakey at PG for me. Tre is out, and I heard Adou is banged up again.

We likely still have 1 or even 2 more losses in regular season. But that's kind of allowed/to be expected with how good the SEC is. Hard to be THAT upset if we lose to Bama and @Tenn.

I don't think we will regress. But I'm not sure we can expect wins @LSU and home against Bama.

Still lots of tough games left. This is not the SEC from 10 years ago, that's for sure.
LSU is one they need to win, lsu isn’t great, they are better than people expect, but that’s a game uk should win. Bama at home is a let’s see what happens game

Reactions: JASUN74
LSU is one they need to win, lsu isn’t great, they are better than people expect, but that’s a game uk should win. Bama at home is a let’s see what happens game

I think LSU is a must win after how well we played tonight. Can't come out cold in that one. Win @LSU after LSU's big win, and we're starting to roll a bit. Bama at home is certainly winnable. Would be nice if we could get some home cooking.

I unfrotunately, think we have another slip up coming. I don't think we're quite there yet. Still some questionable sub moves, DJ is just too shakey at PG for me. Tre is out, and I heard Adou is banged up again.

We likely still have 1 or even 2 more losses in regular season. But that's kind of allowed/to be expected with how good the SEC is. Hard to be THAT upset if we lose to Bama and @Tenn.
Who said adou is banged up again, he looked fine tonight

I think LSU is a must win after how well we played tonight. Can't come out cold in that one. Win @LSU after LSU's big win, and we're starting to roll a bit. Bama at home is certainly winnable. Would be nice if we could get some home cooking.
Agree, I think Mississippi st will be plying for their ncaa tournament berth when uk plays them

SOmeone in game thread, he subbed himself out. He very well may have came back in, but didn't see it because I had my pants around my ankles by the final minute..
He was in at the end, I bet his back is still sore, but with the way he is jumping and making plays i see him batting through it

Last edited:
Reactions: LineSkiCat14
Nerd numbers don’t mean shit.

Cal has the team improving.

No one will want to play us in the tournament without SEC officials.

Can’t lose at home to Bama. Just can’t. Maybe if we hadn’t already lost to UNCW, UF, and Gonzaga.

Remember.. Not every loss means you played horrible, and not every win means you played perfect.

If Auburn hits just two more 3s, which is reasonable to think, this game could have been won by them. That's the difference between a win and a loss, just 2 of those threes to go in and another fg here or there.. And we lose, despite playing the exact same game.

This could happen against LSU.. We could play very well, but if LSU happens to be on, we can go down.

Reactions: fatguy87
Can’t lose at home to Bama. Just can’t. Maybe if we hadn’t already lost to UNCW, UF, and Gonzaga.

You are way more an expert than me but it seems to me we have to power through and win out until UT to really make up for some of these losses. Even then we are an 8 loss team at best heading into March.

If we finish 13 and 5 in sec surely that gets us a bye.

Reactions: cornbreadnmilk
Will be real interesting to see what cal does that game. Because Oates is starting his four guards now and Nelson, and just spreading out the floor

Nerd numbers don’t mean shit.

Cal has the team improving.

No one will want to play us in the tournament without SEC officials.
The “nerd numbers” are just a reflection of how we’re playing. If we are playing better, the numbers will get better.

We still need to improve seeding. Playing better or not, you want the best draw you can get.

Can you make a deep run from a poor seed line? Maybe. But it’s a lot harder.

I love this win. Everyone from Cal to the players deserve kudos, they dominated a top 15 team on their home court. I don't understand why it cannot be duplicated. Hopefully there's a formula set in stone here and it's repeated. Go Cats!

Reactions: Aike

How do you mean? Beating Alabama is going to be tough no matter what. The two games they lost in their last 8 or 9... one was to Tennessee, the other was to Auburn on the road when Auburn shot 50 free throws.

I think Bama is more of a resume opportunity than it is a must in. I'd like to think beating LSU, and losing to Bama wouldn't hurt us too much.. but man we'd have a LOT to gain. I'd think Kentucky might move back into the top10, or pretty close to it.

You are way more an expert than me but it seems to me we have to power through and win out until UT to really make up for some of these losses. Even then we are an 8 loss team at best heading into March.

If we finish 13 and 5 in sec surely that gets us a bye.
I think you’re exactly right. I think we need to run the table at least until the UT game.

This was still only our 3rd Quad 1 win. I think the whole Q1 system is overly simplistic, but they use it. Is what it is.

The best teams already have 9 Q1 wins. We need every win we can get.

SOmeone in game thread, apparently he subbed himself out. He very well may have came back in, but didn't see it because I had my pants around my ankles by the final minute..
He subbed himself out after landing on his back grabbing a rebound in traffic. But he was back in when Edwards fouled out - dunking and hitting free throws. 33 minutes. Career high in minutes?

I don't think we will regress. But I'm not sure we can expect wins @LSU and home against Bama.

Still lots of tough games left. This is not the SEC from 10 years ago, that's for sure.
We still have some very difficult games ahead, but we finally have a pared down rotation and a firm identity with Onyenso anchoring the post. I'll roll the dice with THIS team and live with the outcome knowing we're seeing the best version of ourselves on the floor.

How do you mean? Beating Alabama is going to be tough no matter what. The two games they lost in their last 8 or 9... one was to Tennessee, the other was to Auburn on the road when Auburn shot 50 free throws.

I think Bama is more of a resume opportunity than it is a must in. I'd like to think beating LSU, and losing to Bama wouldn't hurt us too much.. but man we'd have a LOT to gain. I'd think Kentucky might move back into the top10, or pretty close to it.

We can't lose a 5th home game this season. We just can't. It's time to nut up or shut up at Rupp. Just IMO.

We only have 3 Q1 wins. The 11 seeds last year all had at least 4.

I’m not saying Alabama is a must win to make the tournament. But it’s the kind of loss that could push us down to the 8/9 line or worse, considering we also have to go to UT.

If you are ok with that, then ok. I’d like to win them all. Win them all, and maybe we could climb all the way to 3.

Next week is huge. 2 golden opportunities to show how much you have grown. Both games are ones Kentucky can win if they play with same intensity as tonight

I’m not saying Alabama is a must win to make the tournament. But it’s the kind of loss that could push us down to the 8/9 line or worse, considering we also have to go to UT.

If you are ok with that, then ok. I’d like to win them all. Win them all, and maybe we could climb all the way to 3.
Let’s just say Kentucky drops one of state/lsu/bama, wins all the rest and loses Tennessee. That’s 22-9. After that let’s say they win 2 at the SEC tourney and end up being 24-10, I think that gets them a 5 seed maybe a 6 but most likely a 5

I guess I just dont see a Bama loss affecting our seeding that much, assuming they could be in the top10 by Saturday. But maybe I'm off base here. What I think is more important, is not dropping the easy remaining games. And further, winning those games soundly. Q1 wins matter, but so does making sure we don't have Q2 and Q3 losses.

I think barring a collapse we are in the 7-seed or better (Not that I'm happy with a 7 seed). We will be in the 6/5-seed range by Monday.

That said a Bama WIN will really vault this team. So maybe for the purpose of getting that high seed which helps get us to the 2nd weekend.. yeah it would be big,

Let’s just say Kentucky drops one of state/lsu/bama, wins all the rest and loses Tennessee. That’s 22-9. After that let’s say they win 2 at the SEC tourney and end up being 24-10, I think that gets them a 5 seed maybe a 6 but most likely a 5
Maybe. Would be better off losing to LSU in that scenario. Need every Q1 win we can get.

It's funny, I think thats what we're looking at. two more regular season losses, and 2 wins in the SECT.

10 losses isn't great but the SEC is very strong this year. I took a look back at the KP rankings for the SEC im Cal's first 6 or 7 years... the conference was largely shit. Aside from Kentucky, there'd be like 1-2 teams in the top25.. next team down might be 50's, and thats it. SEC now has 3 in the top10, 4 in the top50 and another few in the top100. That's going to help us.

I guess I just dont see a Bama loss affecting our seeding that much, assuming they could be in the top10 by Saturday. But maybe I'm off base here. What I think is more important, is not dropping the easy remaining games. And further, winning those games soundly. Q1 wins matter, but so does making sure we don't have Q2 and Q3 losses.

I think barring a collapse we are in the 7-seed or better (Not that I'm happy with a 7 seed). We will be in the 6/5-seed range by Monday.

That said a Bama WIN will really vault this team. So maybe for the purpose of getting that high seed which helps get us to the 2nd weekend.. yeah it would be big,

I think it’s a given that we have to win the low hanging games. I just don’t think we have any margin for error.

I think the Bama game affects us a great deal. Probably a 2 seed line swing win vs. loss.

I honestly think losing at home to Bama would nullify the positive from tonight’s win.

Tonight put us back on the rise. Let’s not blow it.

ADVERTISEMENT
ADVERTISEMENT