ADVERTISEMENT

Huge Changes Coming to CBB

A key fact I think some aren't getting is high school players will not be allowed to sign with an agent until the NBA removes the one and done restriction. Last I read, the earliest that will happen is 2022, so there should be some time for the NCAA to figure out how to make it work.

I wonder if this will make guys wait even longer to commit to schools ?
If they can't latch on to a NBA team they can show up on a college campus in late September and play.Duke and KU will see what type of player they are in need of and go find him somewhere and have him eligible in a couple of days.

Reactions: shaudyshaud
All blue bloods will have to put commitments on hold, to allow space for returning players. Will schools be able to decline a player a spot back if they are undrafted?

All blue bloods will have to put commitments on hold, to allow space for returning players. Will schools be able to decline a player a spot back if they are undrafted?

I would say so. Scholarships are renewed annually. A school doesn't HAVE TO let a player come back. Most of these are just disguised as transfers to other schools.

I still feel like most aren't grasping the new rule as it pertains to high school kids. They can't sign with agents until the NBA gets rid of the one and done rule. Even after that, only the high school players that are deemed "elite" (the ones that will be drafted) will be allowed to do so. That will be what, 10-15 players a year? Most of them will stay in the draft which means there will maybe be 5ish kids a year that have signed with an agent but end up going to college.

Reactions: UKvisitor
They've not been enforcing rules so I'm not sure how they can give up on it. Kinda like me giving up on eating raw cauliflower [sick]
Because now when it comes out that Duke, UNC, KU and so on have been paying players for years "through agents" there will be zero penalties or repercussions. All this does is guarantee their protected schools go free of any potential penalties down the road.

I still feel like most aren't grasping the new rule as it pertains to high school kids. They can't sign with agents until the NBA gets rid of the one and done rule. Even after that, only the high school players that are deemed "elite" (the ones that will be drafted) will be allowed to do so. That will be what, 10-15 players a year? Most of them will stay in the draft which means there will maybe be 5ish kids a year that have signed with an agent but end up going to college.
Who decides if they are elite,maybe the go from non-elite to elite in mid process or the other way around.Subjectivity and equitable rule enforcement will have a hard time co-existing, some schools and/or recruits will make sure of that.

Because now when it comes out that Duke, UNC, KU and so on have been paying players for years "through agents" there will be zero penalties or repercussions. All this does is guarantee their protected schools go free of any potential penalties down the road.
We pretty much know that is what happened the last two years.The NCAA found out or admitted they couldn't control it(remember Emmert's interview just before the NCAAT last year)

We pretty much know that is what happened the last two years.The NCAA found out or admitted they couldn't control it(remember Emmert's interview just before the NCAAT last year)
Which is why I believe they passed this now. They can just turn their heads, and there is a rule protecting them doing so now. Oh well, let them cheat. It makes being better than them annually and beating them all the sweeter.

I was being sarcastic.

Who decides if they are elite,maybe the go from non-elite to elite in mid process or the other way around.Subjectivity and equitable rule enforcement will have a hard time co-existing some schools and/or recruits will make sure of that.

I believe the proposed process is to have USA Basketball decide who is "elite". I imagine they will be operating with direct feedback from NBA front offices as to who would realistically get drafted. It's hard to envision them giving "elite" status to players that would eventually go undrafted. I also don't see how any schools, even the bluebloods, would have any sway over them.

I believe the proposed process is to have USA Basketball decide who is "elite". I imagine they will be operating with direct feedback from NBA front offices as to who would realistically get drafted. It's hard to envision them giving "elite" status to players that would eventually go undrafted. I also don't see how any schools, even the bluebloods, would have any sway over them.
Are you sure that last sentence is what you really believe?

Which is why I believe they passed this now. They can just turn their heads, and there is a rule protecting them doing so now. Oh well, let them cheat. It makes being better than them annually and beating them all the sweeter.

You have clearly not read the new rule and have zero understanding of what it entails. You saw the headline and assumed everything else.

Are you sure that last sentence is what you really believe?

Uh, yeah. USA Basketball isn't a single person that a coach like Cal or K could influence. It will be a committee that is trying to make the right decisions. Most of the elite players will be no brainers anyway. It will only be a handful guys on the fringe that will be difficult decisions.

You have clearly not read the new rule and have zero understanding of what it entails. You saw the headline and assumed everything else.
:joy: ohh, my favorite poster type, the one that convinces themselves they know more, but for some reason can't articulate why that is so.

Please, do enlighten us since you are so knowledgeable. I want to be as educated on it as you.

:joy: ohh, my favorite poster type, the one that convinces themselves they know more, but for some reason can't articulate why that is so.

Please, do enlighten us since you are so knowledgeable. I want to be as educated on it as you.

1. The new rule does not go into affect for high school kids until the NBA gets rid of the one and done rule. Until that happens, it is still against the rules for high school recruits to sign with/receive benefits from agents.

2. Once the rule does go into affect (which probably won't be until 2022 at the earliest from what I have read about the NBA changing the one and done rule) only the players that are dubbed "elite" by USA Basketball will be allowed to sign an agent on July 1 before their senior year. This will only be about 10-15, maybe 20 players at most, a year. There won't be 100 high school recruits signing with agents like most are envisioning.

3. Once a player is allowed to sign with an agent, that agent must be registered and certified with the NCAA. That agent is only allowed to pay for travel, meals, and lodging for the player or family that is directly related to the draft process for the player. That means meeting and workouts for teams. No 200K cash payments or Benz's allowed.

Even if the NCAA wanted to point to these new rules as an excuse for not punishing past infractions, they can't. Under these new rules, everything teams like Kansas, Louisville, (probably) Duke, etc. have done are still considered major violations. If anything, the new rules about the NCAA using the info gathered by outside investigations (FBI) and increasing the severity of punishments (5 year post-season bans, lifetime bans on coaches) means the teams that are currently being investigated should be really nervous about worse consequences than they originally thought.

That's dandy and all, but will the NCAA penalize a school for fake classwork? Or more accurately, a decades long culture of fake classes and fake grades??

It will change the whole recruiting picture. The agent will control social media. Agents take away free choice from the recruit.
If they serve as buffer, the recruit will only hear, what the agent says.
and some 'agents' will still push the kid to the highest bidder.

Reactions: UKvisitor
1. The new rule does not go into affect for high school kids until the NBA gets rid of the one and done rule. Until that happens, it is still against the rules for high school recruits to sign with/receive benefits from agents.

2. Once the rule does go into affect (which probably won't be until 2022 at the earliest from what I have read about the NBA changing the one and done rule) only the players that are dubbed "elite" by USA Basketball will be allowed to sign an agent on July 1 before their senior year. This will only be about 10-15, maybe 20 players at most, a year. There won't be 100 high school recruits signing with agents like most are envisioning.

3. Once a player is allowed to sign with an agent, that agent must be registered and certified with the NCAA. That agent is only allowed to pay for travel, meals, and lodging for the player or family that is directly related to the draft process for the player. That means meeting and workouts for teams. No 200K cash payments or Benz's allowed.

Even if the NCAA wanted to point to these new rules as an excuse for not punishing past infractions, they can't. Under these new rules, everything teams like Kansas, Louisville, (probably) Duke, etc. have done are still considered major violations. If anything, the new rules about the NCAA using the info gathered by outside investigations (FBI) and increasing the severity of punishments (5 year post-season bans, lifetime bans on coaches) means the teams that are currently being investigated should be really nervous about worse consequences than they originally thought.

High school kids have already been receiving benefits from Agents and the NCAA essentially turned the other way once they realized the magnitude of players impacted.

College basketball players can be represented by an agent beginning after any basketball season if they request an evaluation from the NBA Undergraduate Advisory Committee.
This rule change is effective immediately.

College basketball players can be represented by an agent beginning after any basketball season if they request an evaluation from the NBA Undergraduate Advisory Committee.

High school kids will have to wait until it's passed, but do you really think that will prevent the cheating. They couldn't go pro out of HS currently and still cheated. How does this change that?

Who said anything about the amount of players? It is still going to be the best players getting swayed by agents to the highest bidder. Are you honestly obtuse enough to believe words on a page will prevent that, when current rules prohibited it, yet it still happened?

When it's allowed for them to go straight to the NBA, the lower rated players will be become elite and the same issue with exist.

What prevents schools from paying the agents ludicrous amounts of money for players? Duke for instance is a private university. They aren't subject to open record laws like UK. This just makes it even easier for them.

Agents weren't allowed at all now and still were involved and paying players. Do you honestly think that giving them more access to players will prevent them from paying for things that aren't allowed or illegally funneling them money?

:joy: You honestly think Duke, UNC, KU are honestly worried or sweating bullets right now? I can assure you they are not.

I don’t see how you can’t let them meet with agents. You just have to make everything legit and try to regulate it.

High school kids have already been receiving benefits from Agents and the NCAA essentially turned the other way once they realized the magnitude of players impacted.

They haven't turned the other way, at least not yet. I'm not saying they will vigorously investigate it all and go after every single incident they find, but they are waiting for the FBI investigation to conclude and then they will look at the evidence the FBI found. If there is evidence that Kansas or Louisville or any school committed major violations, they will have no choice but to punish them. There will be clear evidence that the NCAA can't explain away. The days of letting schools slide on violations ended after the UNC debacle. The new rules will not protect these schools, which was my point to begin with.

You are correct, though I don't know what this has to do with what we are talking about. College kids have already chosen their school so there aren't any recruiting implications.

High school kids will have to wait until it's passed, but do you really think that will prevent the cheating. They couldn't go pro out of HS currently and still cheated. How does this change that?

It won't completely stop the cheating. I'm not sure there will ever be anything that completely stops the cheating. There is clearly a problem though and I believe this is at least a good first step in trying to fix things. They have to try something, this is a stab at it.

Who said anything about the amount of players? It is still going to be the best players getting swayed by agents to the highest bidder. Are you honestly obtuse enough to believe words on a page will prevent that, when current rules prohibited it, yet it still happened?

When it's allowed for them to go straight to the NBA, the lower rated players will be become elite and the same issue with exist.

What prevents schools from paying the agents ludicrous amounts of money for players? Duke for instance is a private university. They aren't subject to open record laws like UK. This just makes it even easier for them.

Agents weren't allowed at all now and still were involved and paying players. Do you honestly think that giving them more access to players will prevent them from paying for things that aren't allowed or illegally funneling them money?

These points are all valid and I agree that the new rules aren't perfect. For instance, I agree that non-elite players will still be targeted by shady groups that are trying to influence them. Like I said before, I'm not sure there is any system that can be created that will stamp out all cheating. It's human nature to try and find a way to beat the system, legally or illegally. But you are now trying to argue the merits of the rule changes with me when that isn't what our initial disagreement was about. You stated the NCAA would use the new rules as a means to justify not punishing past infractions. I simply stated that was an incorrect assumption.

:joy: You honestly think Duke, UNC, KU are honestly worried or sweating bullets right now? I can assure you they are not.

I haven't seen Duke or UNC mentioned in the FBI stuff yet so they probably aren't too worried. Kansas on the other hand should be nervous about what the FBI knows and has evidence of. If they were smart, they'd be worried.

Reactions: bthaunert
There’s too much money in cbb/nba to fix it, humans gravitate towards cash and try to get whatever they can at any cost. There’s no chance of stopping peripheral sources from cheating and the NCAA is corrupt themselves, so lol at them stamping out wrongdoing. To be fair they’ll throw penalties at schools they don’t like.

What a mess. So now coaches will have to recruit the agent instead of the player? Opens the door for a lot more corruption to an already corrupt organization.

Reactions: OMGHAWK
A key fact I think some aren't getting is high school players will not be allowed to sign with an agent until the NBA removes the one and done restriction. Last I read, the earliest that will happen is 2022, so there should be some time for the NCAA to figure out how to make it work.

The tweet said the UNCaa announced the changes were immediate.

Last edited:
So Puke was in an article recently commenting about how important it is to change the 1-and-done rule, and suddenly the NCAA announces big changes in how they restrict the undrafted and agent-represented to return to school.

Seems to me someone at the NCAA leaked the new rules to someone at Puke, who then decided it would be a great PR move to release commentary on how it's time to change it, so that they (read: K) will be seen as such a powerful force in the world of college bball.

Media just loves to take this 1-and-done and Puke and roll them into such awesome sauce.

ADVERTISEMENT
ADVERTISEMENT