ADVERTISEMENT

Huge Changes Coming to CBB

Again, I agree with a lot of what you are saying. I never tried to say otherwise. The NCAA is very corrupt and has always protected certain schools from punishment when they clearly deserved it. There has been a lot of smoke around programs like Duke and Kansas for years yet they have never gone looking for fires. I agree. My point is that once the FBI investigation is done (which we have no idea what they've found or how much longer it will last) if they have evidence, stone cold hard evidence, that a school like Kansas or Duke cheated the NCAA can't ignore it. It remains to be seen though what kind of evidence the FBI has uncovered so far and what it proves, or if they even turn over their findings to the NCAA. But this isn't like past infraction cases, the FBI is involved. If the FBI turns over evidence, the NCAA can't ignore it, and the new rules won't protect them. The new rules in no way can be used by the NCAA to justify not punishing past violations. That is my point.

As far as your concern about high school kids waiting to graduate and then signing agents before college, that is still not allowed unless they are an elite recruit. Think of them as "college prospects" instead of "high school kids". That group is going to be small on a yearly basis, probably less than 20 a year, and most of them will get drafted. It's not going to be this big mess of high schoolers with agents negotiating playing time and extra benefits like you are imagining.
I just think you are putting far too much faith into an organization that has proven time and time again to be corrupt and never really change. New Verbiage doesn't change that for me. Even an article on ESPN agrees. The NCAA doesn't have to do anything just because of the FBI's conclusion. They can easily say their own investigation found differently, or that there were so many hands in the pot that it's easier to impose new sanctions on everybody and move on. Or they can just say the FBI's investigation was inconclusive. I have zero doubts no schools will face serious punishments for this latest scandal. Would love to be wrong, but not seeing it.

The whole "Elite" recruit thing will never happen. It will be easily challenged in court as discriminatory. Way too many factors and too subjective to work. Kids develop late, especially from a physical stand point and this would essentially punish that. We also see players every year who aren't ranked anywhere near as highly as they should be and end up drafted way higher than people expected. See SGA. Most definitely will not get drafted. The NBA doesn't want HS kids. That's why they went away from it to begin with. The top 3 - 5 at most will be picked. Way too many variables and unknowns with kids that young and unproven to waste a 1st round pick on them. It wasn't that popular when it was allowed in the past. If it does stay with "elite" players, you'll have a the players not considered "elite" trying to cut backdoor deals and rogue agents. It will be way worse than now.

http://www.espn.com/mens-college-ba...-changes-not-address-issues-fbi-investigation

Only a few kids do it now because college is still the more attractive option. If the NCAA puts even more restrictions of players, then overseas in Europe and Australia or the G-League will become more attractive. It could have a snowball effect and do irreparable damage to college basketball. The NBA will never implement a 3 and done rule, they are heading towards letting players go straight from high school again. The NCAA can't enforce a financial penalty on amateurs that are trying to pursue pro careers, I'm pretty sure that would violate about every single workers' rights law.
They may for the first year or 2, but the G league isn't having a lot of success getting players in the league long term or with much success. Players that are making it up are mostly getting minimal contracts and end up traded a few times, or back to the g league before ultimately phasing out.

The foreign route is appealing because you can make decent money, but you still get limited exposure and live in a foreign country. Most of these guys want to play in the NBA . College gives you a much better chance of that.

Baseball has a 3 and done rule, but you can still go out of high school. However, if you go to college you wait to go 3 years or until you are 21. I'm pretty sure that's what the NBA and NCAA are looking into.

Are you really still an amateur when you are working with an agent?

ADVERTISEMENT

Latest posts

ADVERTISEMENT