ADVERTISEMENT

How would you feel about this change?

Jan 27, 2023
CJ running the backup point? The kid is having a rough year, but he has a ton of basketball IQ and he probes better than anyone else on the team. I think CJ could make an excellent distributor and that would go a long way toward maximizing his value while he’s in this shooting slump.

I would rather see Thiero get some run and develop a bit. CJ seems to be a smart player but he also has a tough time staying healthy. I’m not knocking him, just stating the truth. I wish he could stay healthy for the last stretch here. I think him and reeves play a big role in weather or not we make the tournament

Guy bobbles it before tripping half the time and then gets his lunch eaten the other half, so yeah definitely put the ball in his hands and make him run the pick n roll

No, I got that. But he’s a different player (right now) when he’s trying to move the offense verses when he’s trying to get a shot. If he doesn’t think he’s got to take the shot, he’s still an impressive player. He doesn’t stop short of finishing plays in those situations. He doesn’t let, “should be I go left or should I go right” freeze him into somehow screwing up both. He’s pretty damn good surveyor and he’s not overthinking his moves in those moments. I’ve seen him make some moves that were so perfect they would best be described as magic tricks. We’ve got to figure out a way to get the most out of that right? Work with what you got, not what you thought you had.

CJ running the backup point? The kid is having a rough year, but he has a ton of basketball IQ and he probes better than anyone else on the team. I think CJ could make an excellent distributor and that would go a long way toward maximizing his value while he’s in this shooting slump.
Idk, his best role is still probably off the ball. It’s his defensive liability that is the problem.

Maybe less minutes would help CJ.

Give him 15-20 minutes per game. Help keep his legs fresh. I'm guessing here, but weak tired legs every game might be on the LIST of causes (bad hand, bad leg, bad ribs, no shooting coach, no offensive flow, woman has zapped his mojo...) for his shooting woes most of the season.

Give 10 of his minutes to Thiero and watch CJ be better and Thiero start growing as a player.

Reactions: LmdCat
The problem is not with CJ it is the way he is coached ! The offense is not run correctly for shooters to get open. The sets that are used are not very good and he is wore out trying to get himself open . Just poor coaching.

Last edited:
The problem is not with CJ it is the way he is coached ! The offense is not run correctly for shooters to get open. The sets that are used are not very good and he is wore out trying to get himself open . Just poor coaching.
CJ knew what he was signing up for.
If his entire game is contingent on a specific offensive scheme, he should have stayed put at Iowa or handpicked a coach/system that best suited him.
It's not like he's from a basketball illiterate family.

Regardless of the coaching or offense, Fredrick has had a ton of wide open looks (and passed up some more) and he just hasn't made those shots at the clip we expected. I understand your point, but I don't think it's reasonable to just absolve him of any responsibility here.

ADVERTISEMENT
ADVERTISEMENT