ADVERTISEMENT

FR Herro vs SR Fredrick

While watching the opener last night, was having a fun debate with some friends. Somehow we got on the topic of who we would prefer on our team for just one yr, either a freshman Tyler Herro, or a senior CJ Fredrick.

Obviously this pertains to one college basketball season only, not who will go on to be the better professional player (which is hands down Herro, not even sure if CJ will play a minute in NBA).

Both my friends picked Herro. They thought he was more explosive offensively and slightly better defensively. Maybe I was a prisoner of the moment during the game, but I went with Fredrick. Loved how in control he was within the flow of the game, his knowledge of what he brings to the game, and not trying to do to much (which is something you typically get with a senior as opposed to a freshman). Also, feel like CJ is much more reliable from 3 pt range. Thought he held is own defensively, albeit against Howard.

Curious what others think...
I don’t want to sound wishy-washy, but it depends on the others on the roster. With this roster that has several others scorers and CJ can be a quite assassin, he may be the better fit. On a roster without several other scorers, Tyler would be a better fit as he can more easily than CJ create his own shot and be an explosive scorer.

I think, if Fredrick performs as I think, I would go with him. Better 3pt shooter, maybe better midrange game, I'll give Herro on more explosive athleticism and rim finishing. But Fredrick may be the better defender, and plays an all around smarter game & rarely turns it over.

We really can't compare CJ to anyone at this point. He hasn't played a full season yet and he's only played 1 real game at UK.

The SEC is a much more athletic and physical conference than the BIG10 is.

If we have to compare CJ to Herro, I'm taking Herro, just because he’s more durable.

Here's the thing, yeah, Herro faded later in the year, but so have a lot of young players that came through these doors. Remember Booker?

Herro is a very good NBA player, he made a splash as soon as he got to the league, CJ will most likely never play at that level, so that alone gives you the answer to this comparison.

Like I said, CJ compares much better to Doron Lamb.

Does anyone remember Cal, or the staff, supposedly “tweaking” Herro’s shot? Something about bringing it down to low to set up or something?

I feel like I remember that, but I drink plenty during games.

Question, I know Fredrick Redshirted his Freshman year and Obviously was injured last year. So could he apply for a medical redshirt AND use a covid year and get two more years of eligibility? or would he just be more likely to use a Covid year to gain an extra year next year?

Why does it have to be a white on white comparison?

Let's compare Frederick to junior Jodie Meeks and sophomore lamb and senior delk and freshman Murray and freshman monk.

They are all shooting guards as well.

While watching the opener last night, was having a fun debate with some friends. Somehow we got on the topic of who we would prefer on our team for just one yr, either a freshman Tyler Herro, or a senior CJ Fredrick.

Obviously this pertains to one college basketball season only, not who will go on to be the better professional player (which is hands down Herro, not even sure if CJ will play a minute in NBA).

Both my friends picked Herro. They thought he was more explosive offensively and slightly better defensively. Maybe I was a prisoner of the moment during the game, but I went with Fredrick. Loved how in control he was within the flow of the game, his knowledge of what he brings to the game, and not trying to do to much (which is something you typically get with a senior as opposed to a freshman). Also, feel like CJ is much more reliable from 3 pt range. Thought he held is own defensively, albeit against Howard.

Curious what others think...
Think CJ has another year? Also, CJ's defense is very high level according to Cal. CJ's shooting form a little tighter than TH. CJ's more efficient. Herro quicker and jumps higher. CJ the better at finding people.

ADVERTISEMENT
ADVERTISEMENT