ADVERTISEMENT

My honest take about our chances

If, and only if, our energetic UK team shows up each and every game from here on out, I don’t see where anybody else is much better than we are. If CCC will bite the bullet and throw 8-10 zone possessions in the mix each game, just enough to throw off the opposition a little, we could win a lot of games from this point. It proved itself yesterday.

Our defense has looked awesome at times. The contributions from people like Ware and Collins has looked to boost us some while giving Oscar a blow at times. Thiero is a freshman who is OJT. Like the kid and think he’s gonna be a valuable asset for UK basketball.

I think about an 8 man rotation works well at this point. I’m not sure what to think about Fredrick. He could make a 9 strong rotation but man he struggles. I think he does demand an on ball defender though which helps others.

All in all, this could be a year when a championship is there for the taking. I’ve said it all year that we have the players, just some puzzling and downright inept coaching at times. Toughness, and games like yesterday do give me hope. Sustainability, drive, and heart will be the deciders for this team. It’s there, grab it.
Dream when you’re feeling blue
Dream and it might come true
Things never are as bad as they seem
So Dream, Dream, Dream

People underestimate how poor of scout Calipari is. Cal does fine against the SEC teams he faces year in and year out, but he can't plan shit against competition he hasn't faced before. That's why St. Peters lit us up. Hell, we almost lost to Princeton when Brandon Knight was here.

Here's Cal before a game: "Well I watched a couple of tapes of them tonight before sleeping and they looked pretty good...look, we just gotta play our game and we'll do alright...blah, blah..."

Reactions: RunninRichie
We can win a game get to the 32 round. After that we will face a team as good if not better. The farthest I see us going if at all possible is the Sweet 16 no matter the draw.

I look at this team and I say, they could do it, but only if they pull an easy path to the Final Four. But then that’s what I said about ’14 and they pulled the worst path ever and then they pulled history out of their asses.

So I’m just shrugging and hoping for the best. It would not hurt at all for us to get Wallace, Wheeler, and a tweak.
The tweak is getting Oscar outside a bit to open the floor, don’t force it. Toppin to bring his A game. Wallace getting back and playing solid, and Reeves being who we play thru.

Reactions: BlueSince92
People underestimate how poor of scout Calipari is. Cal does fine against the SEC teams he faces year in and year out, but he can't plan shit against competition he hasn't faced before. That's why St. Peters lit us up. Hell, we almost lost to Princeton when Brandon Knight was here.

Here's Cal before a game: "Well I watched a couple of tapes of them tonight before sleeping and they looked pretty good...look, we just gotta play our game and we'll do alright...blah, blah..."
He’s not a poor scout, he’s a lazy scout. When we play teams way better we are prepared, he just believes “overmatched” teams stand no chance if we show up. Which isn’t 100% ever.

This team is not good enough nor Cal a good enough coach to overcome a bad shooting night. We won’t get past the first weekend.

I want to believe but no Elite PG and too inconsistent shooting can't see this team going on any type of Tourney run.

Reactions: Fox2monk
The question is whether y’all can be consistent enough to make a run. You looked pretty good the last month or so… but also lost to Vandy at home. A lapse like that wearing a blue blood uniform teams sense blood in the water and play unconscious. You have to play like Ark and UT games every single game. If reeves and Toppin have an off game it’ll be tough to overcome.

That game, and the Arkansas game, showed us how important Reeves is to this team. He is our Brady Manek, IMO.

Sorry to play spoiler...

We will lose to a lesser team by shooting 30 percent from the field, combined with about 10 missed FTs. Cal will make Oscar sit most of the first half with 2 fouls where the game is ultimately lost. One player on the other team will score his career high. Cats will struggle to run any recognizable offense the last 4 minutes of the game as the opponent seals the game with clutch free throws.
That's been the recipe for Kentucky's losses. Arkansas played that role in Kentucky's surprise win. Reeves went off for 37, Arkansas missed a ton of free throws and Kentucky made them down the stretch. Kentucky gave up 79 and still won. That will be a hard act to follow.

I think it’s simple. If Reeves is making shots then they can make a run. If not then it will be a quick exit

I thought that was kind of interesting. Similar resumes. Looks like 5-7 seed range is what we are looking at.
Bad thing is similar resume teams tended to lose in the first round

Except for........the team on the bottom of that list........2014 UK lol
This team's results have been so similar to 2014. Unfortunately, that 2014 run seems like a once in a generation run. I think our absolute ceiling is an Elite Eight. But this tournament seems like it's going to be so wide open. Just going to have to sit back and watch... hoping we get the excitement of the tournament to at least the second weekend. But I honestly don't know of a team harder to predict than this Kentucky team.

ADVERTISEMENT
ADVERTISEMENT