ADVERTISEMENT

How we feelin' about Nate Oats today?

Casey and Vogel would be my first two calls, after that Oats.

Like @Clevenger, I think it's time for a UK man to come in and clean up Cal's mess.
I really don't want anymore NBA guys in here. I don't want to see another asshole prioritize the NBA over UK.

I would only make an exception if Brad Stevens is on the table. I feel like he would be about the program first. He’s an brilliant X's and O's guy.

Isn't that what you're doing?

Name your guy.

For the record, my #1 is Brad Stevens.
Not what im doing, im just not sold on the guy. Its reminds me of how we all were thrilled to have Gillispie. Very similar situation. Bama is good this year, but what about all the other years? They weren't that good. I'm curious how his new style of offense holds up in March, because so far its not working.

I like Brad Stevens too, but he's not coming back to college, so get that out of your head....its a waste of time. Theres a better chance to get Roy Williams.

Reactions: kyjeff1
Not what im doing, im just not sold on the guy. Its reminds me of how we all were thrilled to have Gillispie. Very similar situation. Bama is good this year, but what about all the other years? They weren't that good. I'm curious how his new style of offense holds up in March, because so far its not working.

I like Brad Stevens too, but he's not coming back to college, so get that out of your head....its a waste of time. Theres a better chance to get Roy Williams.
That’s fine.
I'm not going to beat anyone up for their thoughts on who should be coaching UK.

I mean I get it, Oats hasn’t done enough yet, but I think he's very close to figuring it out and I don't think he's anything like BCG.

Billy's issues rested at the bottom of the bottles of alcohol he was drinking and he didn’t have the personality for this job. Oats is a completely different animal.

Just figured I'd check in with everyone after a bit of time to reflect on another ass beating thanks to our 9 million dollar a year coach and his failing system.

Oat’s ten times the coach Cal is and he's doing it at Alabama. That guy would kill it here.

I loved the way his team played yesterday, that’s how we should be playing. They punked our guys to the point most of them gave up.

Oats scouts, trains and coaches to win college basketball games and he's hungry.
If your basing on beating a bad Kentucky team, that's not a resume builder.

Just figured I'd check in with everyone after a bit of time to reflect on another ass beating thanks to our 9 million dollar a year coach and his failing system.

Oat’s ten times the coach Cal is and he's doing it at Alabama. That guy would kill it here.

I loved the way his team played yesterday, that’s how we should be playing. They punked our guys to the point most of them gave up.

Oats scouts, trains and coaches to win college basketball games and he's hungry.
The one person who laughed at this post is a clown.

I really don't want anymore NBA guys in here. I don't want to see another asshole prioritize the NBA over UK.

I would only make an exception if Brad Stevens is on the table. I feel like he would be about the program first. He’s an brilliant X's and O's guy.
I think if Casey or Vogel was here they would prioritize UK first over NBA to be honest. They are UK people! They would be nothing like the Ahole we have in there now that it’s all about the NBA and changing lives!

I think if Casey or Vogel was here they would prioritize UK first over NBA to be honest. They are UK people! They would be nothing like the Ahole we have in there now that it’s all about the NBA and changing lives!
I don't know a whole lot about those two, but they've been in the NBA system for quite some time, so they're connected, like Cal was.

For whatever reason, Cal is obsessed with the NBA, I just don’t even want to take the chance.

Whoever our AD is, needs to make it 100% clear to the next hire that UK comes first, no exceptions.

The same as I felt about him last season. He’s not Kentucky caliber…..yet. He’s yet to do anything of substance. He’s in the same boat as another 10 coaches who could fill the spot. We aren’t looking for someone to fill a spot. We need a proven high level winner.

Oat’s is ten times the coach Cal is and he's doing it at Alabama. That guy would kill it here.

Feeling the same as always. He hasn't won anything yet. Let him win something. But he's an up and comer. Maybe he will get to a FF one day?

He didn't prove anything by beating UK team.

Feeling the same as always. He hasn't won anything yet. Let him win something. But he's an up and comer. Maybe he will get to a FF one day?

He didn't prove anything by beating UK team.
Aight, I'll check back with you and Makinmusic in April.

Just remember, winning big at Alabama, is tougher than winning big at UK.

I’m feeling like he has one of the most punchable faces in CBB, along with Mussleman and Cronin. Haven’t thought much else about him.
This is exactly right. One of the most unlikeable coaches around. He hasnt done anything worth mentioning at Alabama.

Aight, I'll check back with you and Makinmusic in April.

Just remember, winning big at Alabama, is tougher than winning big at UK.
Not true. Expectations swallow even the biggest egos...and trust me his ego is the size of a small planet.

Hi Leadbelly
Hi! I expected nothing of substance and that's exactly what I got. Congrats!

Me: "What's Oats won?"
You: "He's better than Cal"
Me: " So are most coaches, what else you got?"
You: "He made a SW16 at Bama which is basically a F4 and his teams shoot 3's a lot!"
Me: "So you want to hire someone who has never won anything because you are dissatisfied with your current coach not winning anything?
You: "you're a troll!"

And, that’s much better than Cal has done the last 3 years, including this season. I’ve seen nothing, so far, this season, to give me hope for anything more than simply making the tournament, which is far from a guarantee, at this point. Sweet 16s aren’t good enough, but, zero tournament wins since 2019 is just fine. And, personally, I’d rather the coach call the fanbase “spoiled” than ignorant “Bennies” who can’t comprehend the genius of RUN/GO!!!
So we just trying to be better than Cal, which we say isn't great...or do we want a great coach?

It would take calling the fanbase spoiled, ignorant or downplay something they say to turn them against him. You all are a sensitive bunch.

I felt his style was too hit and miss - they could get hot and go to the final four or they could lose in the first round. Just thought his system was too unpredictable. However the game this weekend they seemed to rely a lot less on 3 pointers and seemed pretty cohesive, so if his system is maturing and he makes a decent run this year I’m on board. Personally right now I think Vogel would be amazing (not likely) and I’m very intrigued by the Arizona coach. I like Oates better than Musselman who seems real popular here as I find Musselman really annoying.

Reactions: CrimsonCats
One would think a man would get competitive after hearing his teams fan base want a coach who schooled him.

Hi! I expected nothing of substance and that's exactly what I got. Congrats!

So we just trying to be better than Cal, which we say isn't great...or do we want a great coach?

It would take calling the fanbase spoiled, ignorant or downplay something they say to turn them against him. You all are a sensitive bunch.
Posts with substance do no good with you. No need for me to waste my time.

What did he say about oscar?
Their scouting showed that Oscar is bad defending the screens. They wanted to attack Oscar in screen actions. Defense was easier with Oscar out. Oscar has problems with bediako. A bunch of arrogance that every coach in America knows.

I felt his style was too hit and miss - they could get hot and go to the final four or they could lose in the first round. Just thought his system was too unpredictable. However the game this weekend they seemed to rely a lot less on 3 pointers and seemed pretty cohesive, so if his system is maturing and he makes a decent fun this year I’m on board. Personally right now I think Vogel would be amazing (not likely) and I’m very intrigued by the Arizona coach. I like Oates better than Musselman who seems real popular here as I find Musselman really annoying.
Yup, I think too many people saw what Alabama was doing last year and the year before, but this team is playing different. Their offense is very sctructured and it's designed around what the coaches see on film of the team they're going to be playing.

They shoot a lot of threes still, but I can't say it's too many attempts, especially when they’re hitting them and the defense is leaving them wide open.

Posts with substance do no good with you. No need for me to waste my time.
You: "He made a SW16 at Bama which is basically a F4 and his teams shoot 3's a lot!"
Me: "So you want to hire someone who has never won anything because you are dissatisfied with your current coach not winning anything?

Sure man, whatever you need to tell yourself!

• Haha
One would think a man would get competitive after hearing his teams fan base want a coach who schooled him.
I've always wondered this myself. I mean, he knows what his reputation is and he certainly isn't helping his case, but he isn’t doing much to prove otherwise. He’s sticking with the one style of play he knows how to coach and it's making him look so much worse.

With his recent comments about the Kentucky fanbase being spoiled- screw that guy. I never want that guy as coach at Kentucky.
Out of context and you also omit that he called his own school’s football fans spoiled in the same sentence. What he said made sense.

We are spoiled and entitled. But that makes our program go.

However, it’s always good to get some humble pie served up to get the hunger and drive back. We are getting ours now.

Personally I would like Cal to announce next year is his last and retiring. End it on a positive note and allow the AD to see who is truly interested in the job and really research it without animosity. Should have an exciting team next season.

I’d be ok with Frank Vogel but that could be subject to change.

Sure man, whatever you need to tell yourself!
It's pretty simple Leadbelly, if you know what good basketball is, you don't need to wait to see him reach a FF before you make a move.

What did coach K win before Duke hired him?
What did Jay Wright win before Villanova hired him?
What did Calhoun win before UConn hired him?
What did John Wooden do hefore UCLA hired him?
What did Roy Williams do before KU hired him?

If you know what good, effective basketball is, you don't need to wait, it's that simple.

This idea that a guy has to have a FF, or better, to their name, is just false. There are no coaches out there that qualify with your standards that would accept the job.

Give me Brad Stevens if he'll come, but he's not coming.

Reactions: Jmeeks54thebest
I'd be talking to Jay Wright quietly about coming in to rescue the program for 3-4 years with a top-flight up-and-coming coach learning from him as assistant.

• Love
Reactions: ukfan041
Out of context and you also omit that he called his own school’s football fans spoiled in the same sentence. What he said made sense.

We are spoiled and entitled. But that makes our program go.

However, it’s always good to get some humble pie served up to get the hunger and drive back. We are getting ours now.

Personally I would like Cal to announce next year is his last and retiring. End it on a positive note and allow the AD to see who is truly interested in the job and really research it without animosity. Should have an exciting team next season.

I’d be ok with Frank Vogel but that could be subject to change.
I know what he said and I wasn't wrong. Nice novella BTW

It's pretty simple Leadbelly, if you know what good basketball is, you don't need to wait to see him reach a FF before you make a move.

If you know what good, effective basketball is, you don't need to wait, it's that simple.

This idea that a guy has to have a FF, or better, to their name, is just false. There are no coaches out there that qualify with your standards that would accept the job.

Give me Brad Stevens if he'll come, but he's not coming.
Well Duke, Uconn, and nova were programs not even a 5th. of what UK is when they hired their coaches. Roy made like 4 or so final fours before he got to UNC, and UCLA hired Wooden in like 1950 so I would say that is a bit outdated to look back on like that.

Well Duke, Uconn, and nova were programs not even a 5th. of what UK is when they hired their coaches. Roy made like 4 or so final fours before he got to UNC, and UCLA hired Wooden in like 1950 so I would say that is a bit outdated to look back on like that.
I didn’t say anything about uNC hiring Roy Williams, I said KU.

My point was, those guys didn’t win shit before they were hired, but look what they did once they got their shot.

Mitch can't do the hiring himself, he doesn't know what good coaching is, so he's going to need help.

Hell, I'm just a Benny, so I don't know good coaching the way an experienced coach would, but in my noviced opinion, I feel like Oats is a damn good coach that is evolving and in my opinion, he is one of the best candidates for the job.

Give me Brad Stevens if he'll come, but he's not comcoming
Season 1 Lol GIF by NBC

Which of those schools had the history or pressure of UK?

Duke sure didn't! And it took Coach K 6 years to make them a contender. And 11 to win his first championship. Dukes first ever.

Villanova had not been to a F4 since 1985, their 3rd ever and only championship. They hired Wright in 2001, he had formerly been an asst there. Took him 8 years to make his first f4. He made 4 in 21 seasons.

UCONN had never won anything before Calhoun. There was no pressure there. It also took him 12 seasons to make a F4 .

Same with UCLA when they hired wooden. Basketball was newer and still developing as a collegiate sport. There was no pressure and Wooden had 16 seasons to make his first F4 and win the championship.

Williams won was an asst at UNC for 2 final fours, a runner-up and NC. He went to a KU team with a whopping 2 NC and never managed to win one while there for 15 years.

So are you willing to give Oats as long a those guys had? Why would those jobs be comparable to UK in 2023?

Hell, Oats doesn't even have an E8. WTF is saying he must have a F4? But 1 SW16 appearance does not make a UK coach. Sorry to burst your Oats crush.

Brad Stevens isn't coming either, but I am sure there are a lot of available possibilities that fill the talent gap between those 2.

Season 1 Lol GIF by NBC

Which of those schools had the history or pressure of UK?

Duke sure didn't! And it took Coach K 6 years to make them a contender. And 11 to win his first championship. Dukes first ever.

Villanova had not been to a F4 since 1985, their 3rd ever and only championship. They hired Wright in 2001, he had formerly been an asst there. Took him 8 years to make his first f4. He made 4 in 21 seasons.

UCONN had never won anything before Calhoun. There was no pressure there. It also took him 12 seasons to make a F4 .

Same with UCLA when they hired wooden. Basketball was newer and still developing as a collegiate sport. There was no pressure and Wooden had 16 seasons to make his first F4 and win the championship.

Williams won was an asst at UNC for 2 final fours, a runner-up and NC. He went to a KU team with a whopping 2 NC and never managed to win one while there for 15 years.

So are you willing to give Oats as long a those guys had? Why would those jobs be comparable to UK in 2023?

Hell, Oats doesn't even have an E8. WTF is saying he must have a F4? But 1 SW16 appearance does not make a UK coach. Sorry to burst your Oats crush.

Brad Stevens isn't coming either, but I am sure there are a lot of available possibilities that fill the talent gap between those 2.
You have all these rules, the only people that qualify, are in the NBA, are dead, or are fully retired.

If you know what a good coach looks like, finding the right candidate shouldn't be that difficult.

To me, Oats is the right candidate. You don't have to like my choice(s), but so what, I don't care, it's not like any of us will get a say in who is hired anyway.

You have all these rules, the only people that qualify, are in the NBA, are dead, or are fully retired.

If you know what a good coach looks like, finding the right candidate shouldn't be that difficult.

To me, Oats is the right candidate. You don't have to like my choice(s), but so what, I don't care, it's not like any of us will get a say in who is hired anyway.
Not at all. Musselman, Lloyd, Sampson, Few, Bennett, Pearl and Wright are all college guys, alive and only 1 is retired. and all have been better than SW16 except 1, and he's only coached 1 year.

There are a few NBA guys like Donovan, Stevens and Vogel that you have to put out feelers for as well, but I am open to good candidates from any background. But they should be somewhat experienced and some success.

Oats is an awful candidate and an embarrassment if that is what we are forced to settle for. We will be looking for a new coach within 2 seasons, ala BCG.

Your last sentence is probably the thing I am most thankful for currently. You would destroy this program worse than Barney.

Last edited:
Not at all. Musselman, Lloyd, Sampson, Few, Bennett, Pearl and Wright are all college guys, alive and only 1 is retired. and all have been better than SW16 except 1, and he's only coached 1 year.

Oats is an awful candidate and an embarrassment if that is what we are forced to settle for. We will be looking for a new coach within 2 seasons, ala BCG.

Your last sentence is probably the thing I am most thankful for currently. You would destroy this program worse than Barney.
Bennett? Give me a break. Talk about an awful fit.

Lloyd? WTF has he won? Heck, didn't Arizona lose at home to one of the Washington schools yesterday??? Yup, Washington State heat them @ Arizona, by 13.

So, Oats is an embarrassing thought, but Lloyd, well, that guy is a genius? Give me a break.

Mark Few? Too old.

Pearl? You’re kidding. He has a show cause on his record and he has a lifetime deal with Auburn, not happening. He will not be offered the job.

Sampson? While I think he's one of the best coaches out there, he will never be offered the job. He's too old for 1 thing and for 2, he got in trouble at Oklahoma AND IU, not happening.

Musselman, yup, I'm good with him.

Reactions: Jmeeks54thebest
Bennett? Give me a break. Talk about an awful fit.

Lloyd? WTF has he won? Heck, didn't Arizona lose at home to one of the Washington schools yesterday??? Yup, Washington State heat them @ Arizona, by 13.

So, Oats is an embarrassing thought, but Lloyd, well, that guy is a genius? Give me a break.

Mark Few? Too old.

Pearl? You’re kidding. He has a show cause on his record and he has a lifetime deal with Auburn, not happening. He will not be offered the job.

Sampson? While I think he's one of the best coaches out there, he will never be offered the job. He's too old for 1 thing and for 2, he got in trouble at Oklahoma AND IU, not happening.

Musselman, yup, I'm good with him.
That's your subjective opinion about all of them, but all but Lloyd have been to a F4 or further. All are far better and proven than Oats.

Lloyd has been just as far in 1 season, recruits overseas well and his teams play a fun style.

Should we list all of Oats bad losses as well? You do realize he has many, right? Hell, he's lost to Cal.

Cal got schools in trouble at Umass and Memphis according to you previously, we still hired him. Our top asst coach got fired from his only HC job for cheating.

That's your subjective opinion about all of them, but all but Lloyd have been to a F4 or further. All are far better and proven than Oats.

Lloyd has been just as far in 1 season, recruits overseas well and his teams play a fun style.

Should we list all of Oats bad losses as well? You do realize he has many, right? Hell, he's lost to Cal.

Cal got schools in trouble at Umass and Memphis according to you previously, we still hired him. Our top asst coach got fired from his only HC job for cheating.
First of all, Calipari did not get UMass and Memphis in trouble, he was not charged in any of those cases.

Second of all, Bruce Pearl and Kelvin Sampson will never get offered the UK job and for multiple reasons.

Bennett would be an awful fit. Yeah, he got to a FF, but he also plays an awful style of basketball AAAAND, he is the ONLY coach to lose to a 16 seed… .ever. He would be a terrible hire.

You can't say Oats is a bad candidate because he hasn’t won anything, THEN list Lloyd, but you did that.

Soooo Oats lost to Iona and Cal, cool, Bennet lost to UMBC by 20 points, but he is on your list. Pearl lost to Miami by about 100 in the NCAAT last year, but he is on your list. Every coach has bad losses, is what it is.

To me, Oats is going to be the best coach out of all the guys we are talking about. He's also a young guy, so in my opinion, he's the best candidate.

First of all, Calipari did not get UMass and Memphis in trouble, he was not charged in any of those cases.

Second of all, Bruce Pearl and Kelvin Sampson will never get offered the UK job and for multiple reasons.

Bennett would be an awful fit. Yeah, he got to a FF, but he also plays an awful style of basketball AAAAND, he is the ONLY coach to lose to a 16 seed… .ever. He would be a terrible hire.

You can't say Oats is a bad candidate because he hasn’t won anything, THEN list Lloyd, but you did that.

Soooo Oats lost to Iona and Cal, cool, Bennet lost to UMBC by 20 points, but he is on your list. Pearl lost to Miami by about 100 in the NCAAT last year, but he is on your list. Every coach has bad losses, is what it is.

To me, Oats is going to be the best coach out of all the guys we are talking about. He's also a young guy, so in my opinion, he's the best candidate.
You had an entire argument with me previously that there was no way Cal didn't know about the stuff regarding Camby and Rose. You argued he knowingly played Rose while ineligible for the season. And Camby suddenly having access to a small fortune. What changed beside what you were arguing about?

Why would they never be offered here? Both are great coaches at good schools. Neither is currently in trouble, on probation or under investigation.

Also, Sampson's infractions were over phone calls to recruits. Not really a major thing in today's world.

Pearl got in trouble over a BBQ and essentially got it serious trouble for lying about it. Again, not a major deal today.

Bennet is more accomplished and proven than Oats. 5 ACC tournament championships, 5 ACC regular season championships. 1 NC. The year he lost to a 16 his best player and 1st rd draft pick got hurt late in the season and the 16 seed went to the F4. His team won it all when Hunter was healthy the next year.

Are you retarded? How many seasons has Lloyd been a hc? Now what about Oats? So if Lloyd can accomplish what Oats did in a single season, he is making the list ahead of Oats. His teams also play a much more current and better style.

Right! They do all have bad losses, but not all have great wins. Oats would be a great example of the latter.

Good Lord, just suck Oats' dick and get it over with already.

ADVERTISEMENT

Latest posts

ADVERTISEMENT