ADVERTISEMENT

How we feelin' about Nate Oats today?

Knowing about what Rose and Camby were doing and being charged, are two different things. You can't tell me Cal didn’t know. There was just no proof of it.

Sampson and Pearl are too dirty and too old. They're both in their 60's, they will not be offered the UK job.

Bennett will also not be offered the job, nobody, not one serious UK fan, or booster, wants to see UK games that end 55-54. You're the only dude on here with Tony Bennett on his list.

On Lloyd, I mean, I would be okay with him, but my point was, you smashed my idea of hiring Oats, because he hasn’t been past a sweet 16 yet, but then you named Lloyd, who ALSO hasn’t been oast the SS.

You act like Oats has been at Alabama for 20 years, he's coached there for 2 1/2 years and he's been coaching in a tougher conference.

Simply put, I think Oats is tougher minded and I like his style of play more. The feeling I get from Lloyd, is that he's another Sean Miller, or Chris Holtman. Losing badly at home to the likes of Washington State, is not a good look. WSU was 6-10. Other than that, I see zero impressive wins on his resume.

I'm not sure there's a reason for you to call me retarded, that was kind of weird and unnecessary slap, we're just having a discussion.
So you're saying he was complicit then.

How are they too old or dirty? Both are currently two of the better coaches and have nothing hanging over them. Their infractions were minor until they tried to cover them.

Why a no on Bennett? He wins, a lot! They also avg 70ppg. So it’s not quite as bad you claim. Plus they are sound, skilled players. He is young, proven and a winner. Bennett checks every box.

But Lloyd has only coached 1 season. They were one of the better teams and he took them to the sw16 in year one. That's a lot more impressive than Oats.

Oats is in his 4th season at Bama and he took Buffalo to the tournament 3 times. So in 5 tournament appearances, he has made is past the 2nd rd once. Never past the sw16. The SEC hasn’t been all that tough. Certainly no more so than the pac12 was last year.

What's tough about Oats? If he's tough, why such a poor tournament record?

Because Lloyds teams suffered one bad loss? Hell, Oats went 19 - 14 last year with losses to Iona, Memphis, Davidson and a Tom Crean led GA. The year before he lost to WKU for God's sake.

Just this season, Zona has beaten Tenn, IU, SD ST. and Creighton. All ranked teams at the time. Last year they beat #4 Michigan, #3 UCLA twice, and a ranked USC team twice. That doesn't impress you? Which Oats win impresses you more.

Maybe because you keep saying pretty dumb shit.

• Haha
Reactions: kyjeff1
You would think the way we stand around on offense that we would have plenty of energy on defense but I guess you are right that they feed off of each other.

So true, we aren't spoiled at all...

Nobody is saying we aren’t spoiled. We all know we are spoiled. But its the expectations of the fanbase that hold a program to the highest of standards. That’s true for any of the great programs in any sport.

I don’t necessarily have a problem with Oates calling us spoiled (the truth). But if he said it in a negative way, then that IS a problem if he aspires to be our next coach. We already have a dude who is not performing because he is not responding to the expectations of the fanbase in the proper way (I.e., sympathizing with us and admitting that the current state of things is unacceptable) We don’t need another coach who’s going to run from criticism and come to resent us spoiled fans. A man with that kind of loser mentality will NEVER make it here.

Reactions: rabbitTown
I've always wondered this myself. I mean, he knows what his reputation is and he certainly isn't helping his case, but he isn’t doing much to prove otherwise. He’s sticking with the one style of play he knows how to coach and it's making him look so much worse.
How is Nate Oats different from Calipari in this manner - "sticking to one style"? He has done exactly that in his time at Alabama. When he didn't have the players for his style, it looked ugly - the last two years. When he has players that fit his style, it looks good - this year.

What if he declined? Plan B?
Well, I really want to avoid Mitch going after Chris Holtman. I hear Matt Jones and his co-hosts talking about Holtman being the priority and that just confuses me.

If he didn’t live in KY at some point, he wouldn't be on anyone's radar. He is a guy that would never make it past the sweet 16. He's an average coach at best.

You know, to me, the first call has to go to Brad Stevens, maybe kick the tires on Jay Wright and Frank Vogel, but I think UK would be wise to avoid guys like Holtman and probably Lloyd.

Just my opinions

Not trying to be confrontational, but several people have pointed out the comments Oates just made about UK fans before Saturday's game, but I've yet to see your opinion on that and how it impacts your desire to see him move to UK as our coach. You've responded to every other comment here (and you usually never let one get by), except this one interesting tidbit.

I agree somewhat with your take on Oates - I like his fire and passion, but Cal did own him last year, and frankly he's proven nothing beyond having a good start to this season (I don't count beating Cal and UK as some kind of litmus test - any coach can beat Cal - hell, McCarty did it). My fear on this comment he made is that he's going to try and reset expectations and yet again blame fans for being too unrealistic, should he come here and flop, or at best, flounder.
On the comments Oats made, he did what I want coaches to do, he told it like it is. He bombed Alabama fans too. I'll take that over the coded messages Cal gives us constantly.

Yeah, Cal beat Alabama twice last year, that wasn't a great Alabama team, but look what Nate Oats did, he didn't just sit there and continue to pound a square peg into a round hole, he fixed the problem. He isn’t just trying to beat you with Quinerly now, heck, you don't even hear Quinerly's name this year. Oats fixed the problem.

You know who else Cal swept last year? KU and uNC and Cal beat their asses worse than he beat Alabama, but look who played in the title game and look who lost to Saint Peters.

Oats, Self and Hubert Davis recovered from their beat downs, that’s what good coaches do.

Why not? Less pressure. Great salary, he’s loved, and a “not spoiled” fan base.
Guys like Oats and Musselman want to be at the top. UK gives guys a God like status.

Cal doesn’t sniff the HOF without UK. You can't posdibly think Oats and Musselman wouldn’t want a shot at 9 million a year, God-Like status and a clear path to the HOF.

Reactions: RunninRichie
With his recent comments about the Kentucky fanbase being spoiled- screw that guy. I never want that guy as coach at Kentucky.
The lack of self-awareness on this board is humorous. We are spoiled! We have been spoiled! And that's OK!!
We have been treated very, very well historically. There is nothing incorrect about us being considered spoiled... however, there is nothing wrong with it either. We know what is possible and we (as fans) do our our part... but, we also know when things aren't right and when our future position becomes untenable.
You won't find a more compassionate or knowledgeable fanbase... we are spoiled, but we are invested like no other, and we have expectations like no other. Cal, Mitch, Oats (though he must know Cal is done and is just not piling on), and the pumpers can't have it both ways.

The lack of self-awareness on this board is humorous. We are spoiled! We have been spoiled! And that's OK!!
We have been treated very, very well historically. There is nothing incorrect about us being considered spoiled... however, there is nothing wrong with it either. We know what is possible and we (as fans) do our our part... but, we also know when things aren't right and when our future position becomes untenable.
You won't find a more compassionate or knowledgeable fanbase... we are spoiled, but we are invested like no other, and we have expectations like no other. Cal, Mitch, Oats (though he must know Cal is done and is just not piling on), and the pumpers can't have it both ways.
I apologize, as I see now, that several of you had already replied similarly.... embracing the 'spoiled' moniker... we've earned it, and just want to keep it.

So you're saying he was complicit then.

How are they too old or dirty? Both are currently two of the better coaches and have nothing hanging over them. Their infractions were minor until they tried to cover them.

Why a no on Bennett? He wins, a lot! They also avg 70ppg. So it’s not quite as bad you claim. Plus they are sound, skilled players. He is young, proven and a winner. Bennett checks every box.

But Lloyd has only coached 1 season. They were one of the better teams and he took them to the sw16 in year one. That's a lot more impressive than Oats.

Oats is in his 4th season at Bama and he took Buffalo to the tournament 3 times. So in 5 tournament appearances, he has made is past the 2nd rd once. Never past the sw16. The SEC hasn’t been all that tough. Certainly no more so than the pac12 was last year.

What's tough about Oats? If he's tough, why such a poor tournament record?

Because Lloyds teams suffered one bad loss? Hell, Oats went 19 - 14 last year with losses to Iona, Memphis, Davidson and a Tom Crean led GA. The year before he lost to WKU for God's sake.

Just this season, Zona has beaten Tenn, IU, SD ST. and Creighton. All ranked teams at the time. Last year they beat #4 Michigan, #3 UCLA twice, and a ranked USC team twice. That doesn't impress you? Which Oats win impresses you more.

Maybe because you keep saying pretty dumb shit.
LOL, Sampson is 67 years old, turns 68 in October, he’s too old.

Bruce Pearl will be 63 this year, he’s not going to get offered a job here. I love his system, but he’s not going to get the UK job. His dirty reputation puts the nail in that coffin.

Yeah, Oats had a bad season last year, did he, or did he not fix the problem? Looks like he fixed it to me.

Go ahead and beat that Lloyd drum, I'm just not impressed at all with anything he has done. He gives me Christ Holtman and Sean Miller vibes. They win a tough game every once in a while, but they're never good enough to win when it matters.

Case in point, Lloyd beat UT, great win, but he just lost at home to 6-10 WASU. That makes no sense. That’s Sean Miller type stuff there.

In the Rose and Camby stuff, I'm not saying Cal was complicit, I just think he purposely didn’t try very hard to see what was happening right under his nose.

• Haha
Reactions: Raducanu
How is Nate Oats different from Calipari in this manner - "sticking to one style"? He has done exactly that in his time at Alabama. When he didn't have the players for his style, it looked ugly - the last two years. When he has players that fit his style, it looks good - this year.
You think this Alabama team is playing the exact same way last years team played?

I don't

I agree.
Yup, Oats called us spoiled, he also called Alabama fb fans spoiled. He simply tells it like it is.

To me, that’s a good thing. If he doesn't do a good job, he’s not going to blame it on the fans and players, like Cal does, I bet he blames himself. That’s what coaches SHOULD do when their team shows up and us unprepared

Nah, I wouldn’t wish any bad on him. Sure he couldn’t stand to coach for such a “spoiled” fan base

You think this Alabama team is playing the exact same way last years team played?

I don't
Yes...exact same offense. Last year's team didn't have anyone to get to the rim. This year's team has Sears and Miller. Last year, he bombed away from the 3pt line.

The same can be (and has been) said about Calipari's defense. If he has rim protectors, his defense looks great. No rim protectors...awful. But, the same exact freakin defense every year.

Well, I really want to avoid Mitch going after Chris Holtman. I hear Matt Jones and his co-hosts talking about Holtman being the priority and that just confuses me.

If he didn’t live in KY at some point, he wouldn't be on anyone's radar. He is a guy that would never make it past the sweet 16. He's an average coach at best.

You know, to me, the first call has to go to Brad Stevens, maybe kick the tires on Jay Wright and Frank Vogel, but I think UK would be wise to avoid guys like Holtman and probably Lloyd.

Just my opinions
Everything is speculative at this point.
Train is reeling but it's still on the track.
Too much money on the table.
May try to fix a steam engine that's now the "Little Train That Can't"!

Why not? Less pressure. Great salary, he’s loved, and a “not spoiled” fan base.
Maybe because he knows he is playing 2nd fiddle to football. Basketball season in Alabama is a place holder until spring practice. They are one of the top teams in the nation and can't fill a 15,000 seat arena but 3 or 4 times per year.

Yes...exact same offense. Last year's team didn't have anyone to get to the rim. This year's team has Sears and Miller. Last year, he bombed away from the 3pt line.

The same can be (and has been) said about Calipari's defense. If he has rim protectors, his defense looks great. No rim protectors...awful. But, the same exact freakin defense every year.
Alabama screened us to death on Saturday. They made Oscar look like Lance Ware.

They weren't just bombing threes and using isolation, they were literally setting screens to create easy lob oppotunities, driving lanes and open shots.

They outrebounded us and their defense was elite.

This Alabama team plays a lot different than last years team. It’s not close.

Everything is speculative at this point.
Train is reeling but it's still on the track.
May try to fix a steam engine that's now the "Little Train That Can't"!
Something needs to change quickly. I know Mitch can't fire Cal mid season, but if Cal is allowed to continue, this is going to get worse some people might not believe that, but they should. Cal has no answers. I've said it for many years, he’s a 1 trick pony and everyone knows what that trick is. This program is in trouble right now and Cal would rather blame everyone else, instead of looking at himself.

If he truly cared about UK, he would resign tonight on his call-in show.

Alabama screened us to death on Saturday. They made Oscar look like Lance Ware.

They weren't just bombing threes and using isolation, they were literally setting screens to create easy lob oppotunities, driving lanes and open shots.

They outrebounded us and their defense was elite.

This Alabama team plays a lot different than last years team. It’s not close.
They are much better than they were last year.

The big area of improvement is defensively. They were a sieve last season.

Wee bit different in year one vs. years 8-13, no?

Nobody is saying we aren’t spoiled. We all know we are spoiled. But its the expectations of the fanbase that hold a program to the highest of standards. That’s true for any of the great programs in any sport.

I don’t necessarily have a problem with Oates calling us spoiled (the truth). But if he said it in a negative way, then that IS a problem if he aspires to be our next coach. We already have a dude who is not performing because he is not responding to the expectations of the fanbase in the proper way (I.e., sympathizing with us and admitting that the current state of things is unacceptable) We don’t need another coach who’s going to run from criticism and come to resent us spoiled fans. A man with that kind of loser mentality will NEVER make it here.
I never took it negatively in any way, but then again, I don't exactly look to be offended every chance I get either. It was a comparison to Bama football, so I'm not sure how it could be taken negatively, but ya know...

LOL, Sampson is 67 years old, turns 68 in October, he’s too old.

Bruce Pearl will be 63 this year, he’s not going to get offered a job here. I love his system, but he’s not going to get the UK job. His dirty reputation puts the nail in that coffin.

Yeah, Oats had a bad season last year, did he, or did he not fix the problem? Looks like he fixed it to me.

Go ahead and beat that Lloyd drum, I'm just not impressed at all with anything he has done. He gives me Christ Holtman and Sean Miller vibes. They win a tough game every once in a while, but they're never good enough to win when it matters.

Case in point, Lloyd beat UT, great win, but he just lost at home to 6-10 WASU. That makes no sense. That’s Sean Miller type stuff there.

In the Rose and Camby stuff, I'm not saying Cal was complicit, I just think he purposely didn’t try very hard to see what was happening right under his nose.
Why are they too old if they are at the top of the game? That makes no sense.

Having a BBQ for recruits makes a dirty reputation?

Oats has had multiple bad seasons. He's yet to win anything. What's he won this year? Their best win?

I'm not beating the Lloyd drum, but he is as accomplished at Oats in only 1 season of coaching. Oats is far closer to Miller and Hotlmann than Lloyd is.

So a coach is never supposed to have a bad loss? Why does Oats have so many.

If you're saying he knew, that makes him complicit.

They are much better than they were last year.

The big area of improvement is defensively. They were a sieve last season.
Exactly.
Now, they didn't look good against Gonzaga, they looked more like their previous 2 teams, but since then, they have become a completely different team.

It really isn't too much money... it's not cheap but certainly doable. However, when they 'can Cal' (and he has checked out, fat and content)... they absolutely cannot miss on his replacement. I suspect that concern, more than anything else, is why Cal still has a job here.

I don't think it's being spoiled to not want to lose to Evansville, St. Dick, go 9-16 and get blown out by every team with a pulse this season. Maybe you see it differently
Not at all. But we're totally spoiled in the regard Oates was talking about. I've said it here before, Cal is the very definition of fat, lazy, and content. His time is done, but he's still here.

Something needs to change quickly. I know Mitch can't fire Cal mid season, but if Cal is allowed to continue, this is going to get worse some people might not believe that, but they should. Cal has no answers. I've said it for many years, he’s a 1 trick pony and everyone knows what that trick is. This program is in trouble right now and Cal would rather blame everyone else, instead of looking at himself.

If he truly cared about UK, he would resign tonight on his call-in show.
The real issue is; what's really going on that we may never know?
There's an old saying: " It's easier to keep someone out than it is to get them out".
There's no genie in the bottle and no magic wand to wave.
We say things like don't go to the games to season ticket holders.
I may not renew next year, but I'm not burning my money on the altar of sacrifice.
Sad that we allow sports to so dictate our happiness . JMO

People are super lazy when dismissing his style as "shoots too many 3's." His style of play isn't shoot as many 3's as possible, it is that if you're taking any jump shot, that jump shot better be a 3. There is a big difference between the two.

Not at all. But we're totally spoiled in the regard Oates was talking about. I've said it here before, Cal is the very definition of fat, lazy, and content. His time is done, but he's still here.
Yeah, Cal is spoiled. Us fans? Not really. Once upon a time, sure. Not these days. But that's not even really the point. It's that we don't need Nate freaking Oats, or his cousin Quaker, even, telling us that.

Flavor of the month.

No one on this board knew who he was 2 years ago.
And very few people on this board knew who Rick Pitino was 2 or 3 years before UK hired him. That hire turned out pretty good now didn't it. The willingness of those on the left to accept substandard garbage will never cease to amaze me.

Guys like Oats and Musselman want to be at the top. UK gives guys a God like status.

Cal doesn’t sniff the HOF without UK. You can't posdibly think Oats and Musselman wouldn’t want a shot at 9 million a year, God-Like status and a clear path to the HOF.
Depends on the coach. Billy Donovan turned down UK, so it’s totally possible.

And very few people on this board knew who Rick Pitino was 2 or 3 years before UK hired him. That hire turned out pretty good now didn't it. The willingness of those on the left to accept substandard garbage will never cease to amaze me.
Lol... yes they did!!
Providence to the final four and then turning around the Knicks... just to leave and come to UK!!!

ADVERTISEMENT