ADVERTISEMENT

How we feelin' about Nate Oats today?

Why are they too old if they are at the top of the game? That makes no sense.

Having a BBQ for recruits makes a dirty reputation?

Oats has had multiple bad seasons. He's yet to win anything. What's he won this year? Their best win?

I'm not beating the Lloyd drum, but he is as accomplished at Oats in only 1 season of coaching. Oats is far closer to Miller and Hotlmann than Lloyd is.

So a coach is never supposed to have a bad loss? Why does Oats have so many.

If you're saying he knew, that makes him complicit.
You’re just chasing your tail now. You keep asking the same questions and making the same statements.

You know why I think 63 and 68 years old is too old? Common sense.

Okay, cool, you don't like Oats, but you like Lloyd, which is odd, especially since your reason for not liking Oats, is he hasn't won anything. Neither has Lloyd.

So, you think Pearl's only transgression is inviting Aaron Craft to his house for a BBQ? No, he lied to the NCAA about it, which resulted in a show-cause penalty, he also got busted for too many calls to recruits, he had an issue with some of his UT kids driving down the interstate with guns with the intent to do some bad shit and are you forgetting the Chuck Persons cash funneling issue recently at Auburn? Then, Pearl refused to talk to his own AD and basicslly told Auburn that they can't fire him and he was right.

BP hasn’t figured out how to run a clean program, I love his passion and his system, but UK will never offer him the job and not only that, he signed a lifetime deal with Auburn. Ain't happening.

Sampson is too old, UK is not offering the HC job to a guy that is almost 70.

Not really. After turning us down he tried w the Magic, but decided to stay at UF.
I didn’t say anything about him successfully making it to the NBA in 2008, I said that's where he wanted to be and as you can see, that's where he is and has been for quite a while now.

I didn’t say anything about him successfully making it to the NBA in 2008, I said that's where he wanted to be and as you can see, that's where he is and has been for quite a while now.
Not before finishing his college career at UF.
Yes it: Yikes forgot Rick Barnes turned us down, too.

Last edited:
I lived in Alabama for four years while in the Army. 90% of their population doesn’t even know they have a basketball team.

Reactions: catfootballfan
Not before finishing his college career at UF.
Yes it: Yikes forgot Rick Barnes turned us down, too.
Right, but he didn't want to start a tenure at UK if he knew he was going to the nba eventually. That’s how I understood it anyway.

It really isn't too much money... it's not cheap but certainly doable. However, when they 'can Cal' (and he has checked out, fat and content)... they absolutely cannot miss on his replacement. I suspect that concern, more than anything else, is why Cal still has a job here.
I suspect that the majority of us will never know the real truth of this complicated matter. But, it's fun to speculate as to what's going on. Sometimes I wonder if the supposed sunshine pumpers are one's that love stirring the pot and couldn't care less about Cal. That would be easy to do on here. Stranger things have happened. Any negative or positive post regarding Cal is guaranteed to get lot's of responses.

Reactions: rabbitTown
You’re just chasing your tail now. You keep asking the same questions and making the same statements.

You know why I think 63 and 68 years old is too old? Common sense.

Okay, cool, you don't like Oats, but you like Lloyd, which is odd, especially since your reason for not liking Oats, is he hasn't won anything. Neither has Lloyd.

So, you think Pearl's only transgression is inviting Aaron Craft to his house for a BBQ? No, he lied to the NCAA about it, which resulted in a show-cause penalty, he also got busted for too many calls to recruits, he had an issue with some of his UT kids driving down the interstate with guns with the intent to do some bad shit and are you forgetting the Chuck Persons cash funneling issue recently at Auburn? Then, Pearl refused to talk to his own AD and basicslly told Auburn that they can't fire him and he was right.

BP hasn’t figured out how to run a clean program, I love his passion and his system, but UK will never offer him the job and not only that, he signed a lifetime deal with Auburn. Ain't happening.

Sampson is too old, UK is not offering the HC job to a guy that is almost 70.
I'm asking you questions about off-the-wall statements you're making. Not sure how that's "chasing my tail", but whatever you need to tell yourself, I guess.

What is too old about coaching basketball at 63 or 68? That's really not that old by today's standards. We are asking them to coach, not play. I don't think age is going to be an issue for either considering they are currently 2 of the best.

I like Lloyd better than Oats. He's accomplished everything Oats has in 1 season. Oats is in year 9 or 10. I'm not sure how you aren't comprehending that. However, Lloyd isn't even a top 5 choice for me. Not sure why you're so hung up on him. Musselman, Bennett, Pearl, Sampson and Drew are all active CBB coaches who are better than Lloyd and Oats.

Pearl's only real transgression was having a BBQ for Aaron Craft and another recruit, then lying about it. The lie is what did him in. Had he just admitted it, likely nothing more than a slap on the wrist. I will gladly accept someone with stupid transgressions like that.

I would bet good money UK looks at Pearl long before Oats. We have higher standards than sw16's.

Again, he is currently one of the best in the game, not sure why being 68 would negate that.

Oats has won nadda, has far more bad losses than Lloyd and was just 19-14 last year. No thanks.

• Haha
Reactions: kyjeff1
I'm asking you questions about off-the-wall statements you're making. Not sure how that's "chasing my tail", but whatever you need to tell yourself, I guess.

What is too old about coaching basketball at 63 or 68? That's really not that old by today's standards. We are asking them to coach, not play. I don't think age is going to be an issue for either considering they are currently 2 of the best.

I like Lloyd better than Oats. He's accomplished everything Oats has in 1 season. Oats is in year 9 or 10. I'm not sure how you aren't comprehending that. However, Lloyd isn't even a top 5 choice for me. Not sure why you're so hung up on him. Musselman, Bennett, Pearl, Sampson and Drew are all active CBB coaches who are better than Lloyd and Oats.

Pearl's only real transgression was having a BBQ for Aaron Craft and another recruit, then lying about it. The lie is what did him in. Had he just admitted it, likely nothing more than a slap on the wrist. I will gladly accept someone with stupid transgressions like that.

I would bet good money UK looks at Pearl long before Oats. We have higher standards than sw16's.

Again, he is currently one of the best in the game, not sure why being 68 would negate that.

Oats has won nadda, has far more bad losses than Lloyd and was just 19-14 last year. No thanks.
You literally say the same things in every post. Yes, you're chasing your tail and it appears you're just trying to prolong every conversation.

The answers to every question you just asked, is in almost every one of my responses to you.

Just say you like Lloyd and you don't like Oats. There, conversation over.

• Haha
Reactions: Raducanu
You literally say the same things in every post. Yes, you're chasing your tail and it appears you're just trying to prolong every conversation.

The answers to every question you just asked, is in almost every one of my responses to you.

Just say you like Lloyd and you don't like Oats. There, conversation over.
I love your schtick of accusing others of doing what you're doing when you have nothing substantive to add.

I like Lloyd better than Oats. Wouldn't currently want either as the UK coach.

I love your schtick of accusing others of doing what you're doing when you have nothing substantive to add.

I like Lloyd better than Oats. Wouldn't currently want either as the UK coach.
You would have a point if so many others on this board didn’t say the exact same things about you that I have been saying.

I hope you're not this hard headed in life, if so, God help your significant other. He deserves an award.

• Haha
Reactions: Raducanu
You would have a point if so many others on this board didn’t say the exact same things about you that I have been saying.

I hope you're not this hard headed in life, if so, God help your significant other. He deserves an award.
There aren't that many people that say that about me though. In fact, it's you who typically ends up arguing with multiple people at once, and get called out for being out of touch.

People constantly come to me for assistance and advice, so I must not be that hard headed.

• Haha
There aren't that many people that say that about me though. In fact, it's you who typically ends up arguing with multiple people at once, and get called out for being out of touch.

People constantly come to me for assistance and advice, so I must not be that hard headed.
😂😂😂
I didn't know you had a comedic personality. Good one.

Just figured I'd check in with everyone after a bit of time to reflect on another ass beating thanks to our 9 million dollar a year coach and his failing system.

Oat’s is ten times the coach Cal is and he's doing it at Alabama. That guy would kill it here.

I loved the way his team played yesterday, that’s how we should be playing. They punked our guys to the point most of them gave up.

Oats scouts, trains and coaches to win college basketball games and he's hungry.
His style of play alone makes him appealing. Imagine how well he could recruit here. I 100% agree with you.

I'm ready for Cal to go but not in favor of Oats. His live or die by the 3 style is just like Pitino where if you are making shots you can win but if you aren't it's a short tournament. Them shooting 20 percentage points better from the field and shooting 18 more free throws are why they won not because Nate Oats is the next Coach K.
That doesn’t make sense because I’m 50 years old and when Pitino was here, we was the best tournament team in my lifetime

trainwreck GIF

• Haha
Reactions: runt#69
That doesn’t make sense because I’m 50 years old and when Pitino was here, we was the best tournament team in my lifetime
Pitino's first couple of years we lived and died by the 3. He figured out pretty quick that he needed to develop an inside game to go with it and thus recruited some inside players like Mashburn, Walker, McCarty, Dent, etc. Also what helped, if we were missing shots, was the defensive pressure and turnovers would lead to easy baskets.

Yeah, Cal is spoiled. Us fans? Not really. Once upon a time, sure. Not these days. But that's not even really the point. It's that we don't need Nate freaking Oats, or his cousin Quaker, even, telling us that.
Meh, I don't think it's all that bad really. To me, it's sorta like the end with Tubby. If we don't want to get punked and trolled, do something about it. Until then, nothing will change.

Pitino's first couple of years we lived and died by the 3. He figured out pretty quick that he needed to develop an inside game to go with it and thus recruited some inside players like Mashburn, Walker, McCarty, Dent, etc. Also what helped, if we were missing shots, was the defensive pressure and turnovers would lead to easy baskets.
It was the only choice he had, the cupboard was bare when he took over. All the most talented players transferred. Pelphrey, Farmer, Reggie Hanson, Feldhause and Woods stuck around, most people thought that team wouldn’t win 5 games but they went 14-14. Year 2 they went 22-6 by the way, best record in the SEC even though they weren’t eligible for the title and not allowed to play in post season because of probation. They extremely over achieved. That’s why they were so beloved and jerseys in the rafters. So I respectfully disagree with your post.

It was the only choice he had, the cupboard was bare when he took over. All the most talented players transferred. Pelphrey, Farmer, Reggie Hanson, Feldhause and Woods stuck around, most people thought that team wouldn’t win 5 games but they went 14-14. Year 2 they went 22-6 by the way, best record in the SEC even though they weren’t eligible for the title and not allowed to play in post season because of probation. They extremely over achieved. That’s why they were so beloved and jerseys in the rafters. So I respectfully disagree with your post.
We don't have to agree but typically teams who rely solely on 3 point shooting can lose games they shouldn't if they are cold. But hey we didn't rely on 3 point shooting and thanks to Bob Huggins 1-3-1 zone got beat because of cold shooting in 2010. 😂

His style of play alone makes him appealing. Imagine how well he could recruit here. I 100% agree with you.
You can see what he's looking for with the types of players he gets. Long, athletic and polished. Yeah, everybody wants guys like that, including Cal, but these guys want to play for Oats, because they see his offense and it's free flowing and puts players in the best position to score.

I have no idea why anyone would want to come play for Cal. Struggle to score and get yelled at all game long, then probably sit on the bench and get forgotten about.

You can see what he's looking for with the types of players he gets. Long, athletic and polished. Yeah, everybody wants guys like that, including Cal, but these guys want to play for Oats, because they see his offense and it's free flowing and puts players in the best position to score.

I have no idea why anyone would want to come play for Cal. Struggle to score and get yelled at all game long, then probably sit on the bench and get forgotten about.
Exactly my line of reasoning. He'd be my #1 target and I'd bet anything he'd come here.

I believe he’s the guy for UK. Although he later recanted, he did call K out for dodging games during the Covid year.
You need swagger to coach at UK and he has it.
Not to mention he coaches the modern game.
We better get him before someone else does.
I thought Bama already got him.

Just a thought, open to rebuttal.

And didn't I read about 5 years ago that Bama football program was estimated to be worth about a BILLION DOLLARS per a Wall Street estimate while ours was worth about $300M, and that was after our AD was FORCED to spend money on football's facilities,

Nah, plenty of money in Kentucky, and a huge population too. How many million do you want to waste om that, come on, don't be a skinflint. LOL

Last edited:
Get ready to know "Flavor of the Month" who is only 48. Will be around another 20 years dominating the SEC whether it's Alabama, Texas when they join or some other top school comes calling.
What, he is going to be 68 and on top of his game but Cal is washed up at what, 61?

Probably his recruiting will go first, I know from experience all that traveling gets old real fast. Why just look at all the losers he has lined up for next year. LOL

Last edited:
I thought Bama already got him.

Just a thought, open to rebuttal.

And didn't I read about 5 years ago that Bama football program was estimated to be worth about a BILLION DOLLARS per a Wall Street estimate while ours was worth about $300M, and that was after our AD was FORCED to spend money on football's facilities,

Nah, plenty of money in Kentucky, and a huge population too.
We could take him if we wanted. Sure, Bama could possibly match/exceed but so did Memphis and we got Cal.

Would be shocked if Oats didn't wind up here IF Mitch didn’t blow it (a big if as Mitch could screw up a wet dream).

Reactions: ck-2
Well, I really want to avoid Mitch going after Chris Holtman. I hear Matt Jones and his co-hosts talking about Holtman being the priority and that just confuses me.

If he didn’t live in KY at some point, he wouldn't be on anyone's radar. He is a guy that would never make it past the sweet 16. He's an average coach at best.

You know, to me, the first call has to go to Brad Stevens, maybe kick the tires on Jay Wright and Frank Vogel, but I think UK would be wise to avoid guys like Holtman and probably Lloyd.

Just my opinions
I agree on Brad Stevens MAKE him say NO

cozchesWe could take him if we wanted. Sure, Bama could possibly match/exceed but so did Memphis and we got Cal.
b
Would be shocked if Oats didn't wind up here IF Mitch didn’t blow it (a big if as Mitch could screw up a wet dream).
And would a very good coach want to follow a hall of fame coach with a number one class where a bunch of fans could get you fired, even if you had a "lifetime" contract.

Why not enjoy a once in a lifetime class and see what they do instead of trying to run them off, when there is ZERO chance of him being fired now in any case. So our illustrious AD is going to admit he is a loser by firing him now and wasting $30M along with having to look for another Billy Clyde to replace him. Remember both his football AND basketball coaches volunteered for the job.

And would a very good coach want to follow a hall of fame coach with a number one class where a bunch of fans could get you fired, even if you had a "lifetime" contract.

Why not enjoy a once in a lifetime class and see what they do instead of trying to run them off, when there is ZERO chance of him being fired now in any case. So our illustrious AD is going to admit he is a loser by firing him now and wasting $30M along with having to look for another Billy Clyde to replace him. Remember both his football AND basketball coaches volunteered for the job.
Yeah, Cal's not leaving after this season barring something big happening. It's obvious he's banking on this incoming class to be his redemption tour. However, I don't see him staying more another year or 2 and if we want Oats, we could get him.

Reactions: jauk11
I lived in Alabama for four years while in the Army. 90% of their population doesn’t even know they have a basketball team.
And my first job out of UK was in Huntsville on the Saturn V, and that was a long time ago. Way before they had a team and coach like they have now.

Things change, or had you noticed.

ADVERTISEMENT

Latest posts

ADVERTISEMENT