ADVERTISEMENT

How we feelin' about Nate Oats today?

kyjeff1

All-American
Sep 8, 2012
Just figured I'd check in with everyone after a bit of time to reflect on another ass beating thanks to our 9 million dollar a year coach and his failing system.

Oat’s is ten times the coach Cal is and he's doing it at Alabama. That guy would kill it here.

I loved the way his team played yesterday, that’s how we should be playing. They punked our guys to the point most of them gave up.

Oats scouts, trains and coaches to win college basketball games and he's hungry.

Last edited:
Just figured I'd check in with everyone after a bit of time to reflect on another ass beating thanks to our 9 million dollar a year coach and his failing system.

Oat’s ten times the coach Cal is and he's doing it at Alabama. That guy would kill it here.

I loved the way his team played yesterday, that’s how we should be playing. They punked our guys to the point most of them gave up.

Oats scouts, trains and coaches to win college basketball games and he's hungry.
He is one of many that would do a better job than the shell of a coach we have now .

He's a good coach. But Alabama was picked to be 2nd in the SEC last year and finished at 9-9 with losses in the first round of the SEC and NCAA Tournaments.

Let's see what he does this year because you know our fans wouldn't be happy with those results.

I believe he’s the guy for UK. Although he later recanted, he did call K out for dodging games during the Covid year.
You need swagger to coach at UK and he has it.
Not to mention he coaches the modern game.
We better get him before someone else does.
Oats is a no-nonsense kind of guy. He did call K out for dodging and he didn’t sugarcoat his critisism of Oscar yesterday. He isn’t afraid to just tell it like it is. I like that.

Oat’s ten times the coach Cal is and he's doing it at Alabama. That guy would kill it here.

I’m feeling like he has one of the most punchable faces in CBB, along with Mussleman and Cronin. Haven’t thought much else about him.

Flavor of the month.

No one on this board knew who he was 2 years ago.
Incorrect. He was coaching Buffalo in 2017/18, we played them in the NCAAT and they were a hard out. IIRC, they beat a really good Arizona team before losing to UK.

Not only that, but he has hit the ground running at Alabama. Everyone on this board has known about Nate Oats for several years now.

Flavor of the month.

No one on this board knew who he was 2 years ago.
So then the question becomes how many months must one be “flavor of the month” to be considered a good coach? Ive heard Oates is flavor of the month for a few seasons now.

Btw, Cal was considered “flavor of the month” prior to coming to UK as well.

I guess the follow up question is, if Cal walked after next season, who would be on your list Wildcatfaninohio?

Last edited:
Incorrect. He was coaching Buffalo in 2017/18, we played them in the NCAAT and they were a hard out. IIRC, they beat a really good Arizona team before losing to UK.

Not only that, but he has hit the ground running at Alabama. Everyone on this board has known about Nate Oats for several years now.

Uk beat the crap out of Buffalo and then that disaster known as k state happened.

I'd like Oats here. He is probably my pick, but muss or the Arizona coach or Drew would do well too. Those are the 4 people I like and think would win a title here. I think mus is a bit older to start here but maybe not.

Didnt Iona beat him a couple years ago?

Oats might be the future, but he has Gillispie written all over him. He's never accomplished anything win March past the 2nd weekend.

Reactions: Sejonesy

He is on my short list of candidates for sure. Let me hit the Mega and I’ll get back to you on who is our next Coach is!!!!!!!!

Last edited:

Oats might be the future, but he has Gillispie written all over him. He's never accomplished anything win March past the 2nd weekend.
What coach hasn’t lost a game like that? Shall we list the ones Cal has lost?

Lets not act like Iona was being coached by a stiff either, Pitino was the Iona coach in that game.

That same Alabama team went and beat Gonzaga in Seattle too.

No thanks! SW 16's just don't do it for me.

Nate Oats compares Kentucky Basketball fans to Alabama Football fans: “They’re spoiled” https://www.on3.com/teams/kentucky-...fans-to-alabama-football-fans-theyre-spoiled/
And, that’s much better than Cal has done the last 3 years, including this season. I’ve seen nothing, so far, this season, to give me hope for anything more than simply making the tournament, which is far from a guarantee, at this point. Sweet 16s aren’t good enough, but, zero tournament wins since 2019 is just fine. And, personally, I’d rather the coach call the fanbase “spoiled” than ignorant “Bennies” who can’t comprehend the genius of RUN/GO!!!

I have to admit that I like him too. Wasn't he a math teacher previously? If so, that might help explain his analytical approach to how he wants his teams to play. If he were at UK we'd find plenty of things to pick at - nobody's going to have 100% approval in a fan base this size. But if UK were hiring a coach today I would be happy with hiring Oats. Could it turn out to be wrong? Of course, but man you can find perceived deficiencies/negatives about any name you throw out.

He's a good coach. But Alabama was picked to be 2nd in the SEC last year and finished at 9-9 with losses in the first round of the SEC and NCAA Tournaments.

Let's see what he does this year because you know our fans wouldn't be happy with those results.
Just like ccc

Oats is a no-nonsense kind of guy. He did call K out for dodging and he didn’t sugarcoat his critisism of Oscar yesterday. He isn’t afraid to just tell it like it is. I like that.
What did he say about oscar?

What coach hasn’t lost a game like that? Shall we list the ones Cal has lost?

Lets not act like Iona was being coached by a stiff either, Pitino was the Iona coach in that game.

That same Alabama team went and beat Gonzaga in Seattle too.
Im not comparing Cal, we're talking Oates.

Yes, he lost to Pitinos cruddy Iona team with a bunch of unrated slow kids.

He just hasn't done anything but win some regular season games. Whats his best March accolade? 1 sweet sixteen or 2?

Reactions: chattanoogawildcat
Revisit this in March when Alabama goes 4/30 from 3 and gets bounced in the first weekend, oats is okay but his style is to Jekyll and Hyde

Reactions: Sejonesy

Oats has a little bit of edge to him as well. He was probably laughing knowing Cal had no clue how to defend whst he was running.

Those powerhouse basketball schools he's been at right? Buffalo and now Bama.

His team was better at every position yesterday and he coached circles around Cal. But it makes you Cal slurpers to feel better to dog him. Pathetic bunch.

We should have learned from the end of tubby that when our rivals and opponents start saying “the fan base is spoiled, you need to keep your coach”, that means they know they can kick our ass when he’s here and they like it

Cal beat him twice last year, the second game we won with a small forward running point, that is a no vote for me.

Reactions: MakinMusic
Im not comparing Cal, we're talking Oates.

Yes, he lost to Pitinos cruddy Iona team with a bunch of unrated slow kids.

He just hasn't done anything but win some regular season games. Whats his best March accolade? 1 sweet sixteen or 2?
At Buffalo and Bama sparky. Clueless.

Reactions: kywildcat41086
ADVERTISEMENT