ADVERTISEMENT

How To Not Annoy Your Bartender/Get Drinks In A Timely Fashion

Man I'm glad I never go to bars so I don't have to deal with dick bartenders like this.
@DSmith21I guess the bars you frequent arent't nice enough and don't pull in enough business to allow their bartenders comp tabs? Both bars I work at do and believe it or not sometimes we'll(the bartenders or managers) buy people's entire tabs when they're cool and a regular.:scream: Sorry the shitholes you can afford aren't able to do that.

Shut up and poor me a drink.
"Waits ten minutes, realizes he's never getting served and leaves with tail between legs." That's if I'm in a good mood.

Man I'm glad I never go to bars so I don't have to deal with dick bartenders like this.
:pray:We both win!

@DSmith21I guess the bars you frequent arent't nice enough and don't pull in enough business to allow their bartenders comp tabs? Both bars I work at do and believe it or not sometimes we'll(the bartenders or managers) buy people's entire tabs when they're cool and a regular.:scream: Sorry the shitholes you can afford aren't able to do that.

"Waits ten minutes, realizes he's never getting served and leaves with tail between legs." That's if I'm in a good mood.

:pray:We both win!
No, lost my tail a while back.

Keep in mind, if you want to sit there for the whole game or whatever and not blackout before it's over let the bartender know not to make it too strong if he usually overpours.

This is what the waters are for...bartender should respect the importance of h2o

shit, son... I'll sit at a bar for 2 hours if that's how long it takes to get drunk. I'm a patient mother ****er, especially when I've got the zen of alcohol coursing my arteries. I'll even cocked-eyed stare at ya if I think you're a weird. And don't ask me what I'm staring at because I'll be honest. "Just never seen a wrist go so limp pouring a drink before."

fZ1NGkQ.gif

This is what the waters are for...bartender should respect the importance of h2o
Water is irrelevant if you're drinking a couple doubles an hour. Doesn't matter how much water you suck down, you're going to get drunk, albeit less hungover hopefully.

As long as you are doing it out of your pocket or with your employer's knowledge/permission, I have no problem with "over pours" or comping. I just know a lot of bars and restaurants that have failed because their staff's pilfering in the way you describe. Here is an answer to both employee theft and a bartenders with bad attitudes:

main-1-robot-290713.jpg

Reactions: roguemocha
Keep in mind this pertains to a high volume, high capacity bar.

1. Don't tell me your name unless I ask. There's 50+ people in here, I won't even try to remember unless you're really cool/interesting or tip well.

2. Don't order waters for everyone. I'm busy, I don't need busy work and I don't need to make 5 waters when only you want one. Also, if you order a water, touching drink it.

3. Know what you're drinking. This goes for everyone in your group. Don't flag me down and then say, "Ummmm I'll have a....what's good? Billy, what're you drinking? Stacy, you like those apple thingies, what are those?" If you don't know what you want, just ask for a Miller Lite or whateverthetouch and drink that til you decide. It's just A drink, not your last drink.

4. Know what you're drinking, part 2. If you ask for that one drink you had that one time at the Hilton or something in Punta Cana or wherever the last place you acted like a jackass was, guess what? I don't know their drink menu. Furthermore, if you're from god forbid, the Midwest or wherever and they have some drink called a Yellow Thunder Pecker in southwest Wisconsin, I PROBABLY don't know what's in that because I would never live there. So when you ask for one and I say, "I don't know what's in that, but I'd be happy to make one for you though. What's in it?", don't you dare look at me and say, "I don't know, you're the bartender." You're 25+, know what you're consuming, you half-grown baby man.

5. Don't order 7 different shots. I have to shake every goddamn one of those and that takes forever. Now you're just wasting everyone's time and I promise, you're not that important. Order one, MAYBE two different shots. I don't care that Tammy doesn't like Green Teas or that Steffany, spelled with two goddamn "F's", just can't do rum. She can pick the next round.

6. Don't split shots. THIS IS NOT GOING TO HAPPEN. I'm not explaining this. Order a WHOLE shot or don't.

7. Don't bring kids in to sit at the bar. You knocked someone up and have kids, now act like it. SItting at the bar time is over. Time to take that Titleist visor and walk your tucked in polo dad-bod over to the host stand and ask for a table, pops.

8. Don't say you don't want a food or drink menu and then proceed to ask me what we have. And if it's because you "didn't bring your readers" well gramps, maybe it's a little late for you to be out isn't it.

9. Don't ask the price of everything on the menu. First of all, it's on the menu. Secondly, if you have to ask you probably shouldn't be at the bar spending $4+ on a beer. I'm not going to give you the same deal Wimpy got from the hamburger place.

10. Don't pay 6 ways for one round. You're all friends, that's why you're out drinking together. Two people, preferably one buy the damn round and call it a day. Then rotate for the next round, pretty simple. When I have to spend 2 minutes running and printing 6 different CC receipts and then at some point putting them in the system, well, everyone else is waiting for drinks while you're busy being a poor.

11. Finally, if you even think about whistling I will take your drink, dump it on the floor and present you with your credit card receipt so fast it'll already be showing up on your iPhone wallet app before you even sign it. Honestly don't even wave at me. I'll be there when I finish what I'm doing. Do you wave at the teller at the bank while you're in line to let her know you need something?

Customers are the reason most good bartenders are backed up 9 out of 10 times. If you take 5 minutes to order, then everyone else at the bar is having to wait those 5 minutes as well. So do me and your fellow patrons a favor, follow these rules and I'm sure you'll be well on your way to poor decisions, handing me plenty of your hard earned cash and finally blacking out.

Don't thank me now, just hand me some cash when you come into the bar this weekend.

When does your list come out about how to get your bedpan changed quickly, Papa Murse?

Reactions: warrior-cat
I only counted 11 steps, what is the 12th?
You want 12? You get 12.

12. Don't ask about the whole mixing of alcohols and "beer before liquor never been sicker" BS. That is some high school rhyme that 17 year olds tell 15 yeard olds to sound wise but doesn't mean anything. If you usually only drink a couple drinks at dinner or on the weekend because you normally have to be in your cute little grey cubicle in the middle of Whogivesashitville, USA at 7-8am the next morning and you decide to drink like island local one or two nights on vacation, you're going to feel like crap. It doesn't matter if its all beer, or vodka or whiskey, if you drink a bunch of anything and you're not used to it, it will suck.

Reactions: Wall2Boogie
I love bartending, I hate idiots as does pretty much everyone in their job capacity. Difference is 90% of the public frequents bars while whatever you do MIGHT get 40-50% of the population. I get it's not surgery, neither is being a bar patron which is the point.
Walk up to the bar.
Order drink.
Pay for drink.
Sit and enjoy.

I don't mind suggestions at all. Where I work, mojitos are awesome and I recommend them even though they take more time than a Bud bottle and I'm probably getting the same tip for either one. The main problem with this is you should tell the bartender what you like or normally drink before you ask. 90% of the time someone asks me for a suggestion they reply with, "I hate/can't drink suggested alcohol" "That's a fag drink." "I'm a beer guy." etc.

@TransyCat09 Any bartender that complains about money to the patrons there is a POS and works at a bar that isn't good enough to make decent money. The only time I've talked to customers about money is when they ask or they see me get stiffed and want to make fun of the loser that just left the bar.

I typically don't not tip at bars, but since the result is getting to keep my money and the only consequence is getting made fun of by wanks that bartend for a living and guys that sit at the bar, I might stop.

As long as you are doing it out of your pocket or with your employer's knowledge/permission, I have no problem with "over pours" or comping. I just know a lot of bars and restaurants that have failed because their staff's pilfering in the way you describe. Here is an answer to both employee theft and a bartenders with bad attitudes:

main-1-robot-290713.jpg
Agreed.This is also a reason why you should NEVER start a bar unless you've bartended before or have a bartender/bar manager you trust implicitly. Bartenders are put in a position where stealing is easy and tempting. If you can't trust your staff or don't know how to quickly spot someone stealing then don't open a bar. Also a good reason to give them a comp tab. You can at least write that off and it counts toward inventory numbers.

Robot bartender would be awful.I love the back and forth with a good, witty bartender. And even moreso with that type of customer. Although most customers that think they are witty or funny are awful (see KSR callers). Haven't had but a couple patrons that could match me when we start busting balls or talking sports but when it happens I'm definitely buying a round.

shit, son... I'll sit at a bar for 2 hours if that's how long it takes to get drunk. I'm a patient mother ****er, especially when I've got the zen of alcohol coursing my arteries. I'll even cocked-eyed stare at ya if I think you're a weird. And don't ask me what I'm staring at because I'll be honest. "Just never seen a wrist go so limp pouring a drink before."

Is it classier to get drunk at a bar instead of at your house? Feels like it would be cheaper to be at home and drink. If you get drunk at home is that seen as an alcoholic type move? What's the official rules on this?

I just dream of going in to a bar wearing military gear, drinking alone while acting erratic like I'm trying to process something but I might snap if you try and talk to me.

When does your list come out about how to get your bedpan changed quickly, Papa Murse?
ICU doesn't typically deal with patients that can use a bedpan so you'll have to wait and ask a floor nurse. Sorry.

I typically don't not tip at bars, but since the result is getting to keep my money and the only consequence is getting made fun of by wanks that bartend for a living and guys that sit at the bar, I might stop.
Oh no guys, going to have to change my lifestyle up a bit financially. Looks like I won't be getting that $4 from @crazyqx83 once every two weeks anymore....

ICU doesn't typically deal with patients that can use a bedpan so you'll have to wait and ask a floor nurse. Sorry.

Bullcrap. I've been in the field 25 years. I bet 50 -75% of ICU patients do not have foley caths.
CCU maybe when they come out of surgery. but not ICU.

How To Not Annoy Your Sandwich Artist/Get Lunch In A Timely Fashion

Keep in mind this pertains to a high volume, full service Subway.

1. Don't tell me your name unless I ask. There's like 12 people in line here, I won't even try to remember unless you're really cool/interesting or tip well.

2. Don't order salads for everyone. I'm busy, I don't need busy work and I don't need to make 5 salads when only you want one. Also, if you order a salad, touching eat it.

3. Know what you're eating. This goes for everyone in your group order. Don't flag me down and then say, "Ummmm I'll have a....what's good?" It's Subway- nothing is "good". If you don't know what you want, just ask for a meatball sub or whateverthetouch and eat that til you decide. It's just A sandwich, not your last sandwich.

4. Know what you're eating, part 2. If you ask for that one sub you had that one time at the Penn Station or something at Quizno's or wherever the last place you acted like a jackass was, guess what? I don't know their sandwich menu. Furthermore, if you're from god forbid, the Midwest or wherever and they have some sub called a Yellow Thunder Pecker in southwest Wisconsin, I PROBABLY don't know what's in that because I would never live there. So when you ask for one and I say, "I don't know what's in that, but I'd be happy to make one for you though. What's in it?", don't you dare look at me and say, "I don't know, you're the sandwich artist." You're 25+, know what you're consuming, you half-grown baby man.

5. Don't order 7 different oven baked subs. I have to bake every goddamn one of those and that takes forever. Now you're just wasting everyone's time and I promise, you're not that important. Order one, MAYBE two different oven baked subs. I don't care that Tammy doesn't like green peppers or that Steffany, spelled with two goddamn "F's", just can't do black olives. She can pick the next sandwich.

6. Don't split six inch subs. THIS IS NOT GOING TO HAPPEN. I'm not explaining this. Order a WHOLE sandwich or don't.

7. Don't bring kids in to sit at the Subway. Actually, do. We have kids meals and appreciate your business.

8. Don't say you don't want a food or drink menu and then proceed to ask me what we have. And if it's because you "didn't bring your readers" well gramps, maybe it's a little late for you to eat lunch/early for you to eat dinner, isn't it.

9. Don't ask the price of everything on the menu. First of all, it's on the menu. Secondly, if you have to ask you probably shouldn't be at the bar spending $4+ on a mediocre cold cut sandwich. I'm not going to give you the same deal Wimpy got from the hamburger place. This is Subway.

10. Don't pay 6 ways for one group order. You're all friends, that's why you're out picking up lunch. Two people, preferably one buy the damn lunch order and call it a day. Then rotate for the next week or settle up at the office, pretty simple. When I have to spend 2 minutes running and printing 6 different CC receipts and then at some point putting them in the system, well, everyone else is waiting for lunch while you're busy being a poor.

11. Finally, if you even think about whistling I will take your sandwich, dump it on the floor, stab you with the little knife I have to use on ALL the subs, and present you with your credit card receipt so fast it'll already be showing up on your iPhone wallet app before you even sign it. Honestly don't even wave at me. I'll be there when I finish what I'm doing. Do you wave at the tender at the bar while you're in line to let her know you need something?

Customers are the reason most good sandwich artists are backed up 9 out of 10 times. If you take 5 minutes to order, then everyone else at the 'Way is having to wait those 5 minutes as well. So do me and your fellow patrons a favor, follow these rules and I'm sure you'll be well on your way to poor decisions, other than your choice for lunch, handing me plenty of your hard earned cash and finally blacking out.

Don't thank me now, just hand me some cash when you come in for lunch this Thursday.

Bullcrap. I've been in the field 25 years. I bet 50 -75% of ICU patients do not have foley caths.
CCU maybe when they come out of surgery. but not ICU.
Neuro ICU???? Ummm, EVERYONE there is basically unconcsious, brain dead or sedated.

Oh no guys, going to have to change my lifestyle up a bit financially. Looks like I won't be getting that $4 from @crazyqx83 once every two weeks anymore....
Don't you bartend in key west? I think we all know why rogue makes decent "tips," if ya knowhatimean, amirite fellas?

I always laughed at the person ordering a fruity frozen girly drink then complaining there is not enough alcohol in it.

I witnessed a lady once ordered five different flavored drinks at a restaurant the sent them all back saying she didn't care for it. She ended up getting a L.I.T. I can't go to the grocery and try five different beers and then say I don't like them and not pay for them. You take a chance

Reactions: roguemocha
Is it classier to get drunk at a bar instead of at your house? Feels like it would be cheaper to be at home and drink. If you get drunk at home is that seen as an alcoholic type move? What's the official rules on this?.

Just be forewarned, drinking at home will forever ruin public drinking for you.

Homepours are where it's at and are the equivalent of a 10 dollar drink at your local shitty pub. It's expensive getting drunk in public.

Homepours are where it's at and are the equivalent of a 10 dollar drink at your local shitty pub. It's expensive getting drunk in public.

But who the hell wants to get drunk at home while watching your wife do the housework? Not me.

I love the back and forth with a good, witty bartender. And even moreso with that type of customer. Although most customers that think they are witty or funny are awful (see KSR callers). Haven't had but a couple patrons that could match me when we start busting balls or talking sports but when it happens I'm definitely buying a round.

Did you just seriously type this? [eyeroll]

I don't drink beer as much anymore, because the carbonation ****s me up, so my go to drinks are bourbon on the rocks, whiskey sour and old fashioned. Whiskey sours are easy enough to make, but this time of year I like old fashioneds (not sure how to pluralize that) and I sure as shit ain't making that mess at home.

Customer service may not be the best line of work for you. If you are expecting people to walk into a bar (or any place of business) and stop acting like people, you are going to be sorely disappointed.

Bartenders/Waiters
Teachers
Doctors

All in positions with distinct and unique benefits who never *EVER* stop complaining about how tough their jobs are.

now if only my doctor would pour me a drink while teaching me about reproductive biology. i'd definitely tip her well. but you know, just the tip.

1. Do not introduce yourself.
  2. Do not order water.
  3. Do not talk to me until you are sure you know what you want to order.
  4. Do not ask me what is good.
  5. Do not ask me to make something unless (a) you know how to make it yourself, or (b) it is an easy generic drink that can be quickly made.
  6. Do not order different types of shots. I don't care if some people like different things.
  7. Do not ask the price of your purchase. Just pay it, and tip me 20% of whatever I say you owe.
  8. Do not pay for only your drinks. Pay for your entire group or don't order anything.
  9. Do not under any circumstances attempt to get my attention.

[laughing]

I mean, seriously, F*CK YOU person who fetches my drink.

monkey-bartender1.jpg

Really #5 most bartenders that don't know a drink they Google it or use an app. Seen ones that don't know how to make a Margarita without a mix.

I'd say it's even money that rogue and BlueBallsSean are the same poster.
Not remotely close, I give no touches about politics.

And @_Chase_ Ill f*ck you on your drinks and make you feel stupid in front of your group right back til you leave or ask for a manager that will laugh about you in the back but pretend he's really mad.

One of the best things about being a bartender is having the ability to talk down/make fun of someone without saying anything they can legitimately get mad about.

Reactions: d2atTech
Service workers love to talk about their patrons having a sense of entitlement, but one thing most people won't talk about, are the servers and bartenders having a sense of entitlement.

If you really listen to their bitching, what you'll actually hear is...Do you have any idea how difficult it is to listen to someone ask for a drink, and then I have to go and get a bottle from a few feet away, pour it into a glass, and hand it to them? And if that isn't enough, I have to do that a bunch of times every night.

And @_Chase_ Ill f*ck you on your drinks and make you feel stupid in front of your group right back til you leave or ask for a manager that will laugh about you in the back but pretend he's really mad.

[laughing]

You seem to think I give a shit about what the bartender or bar manager thinks about my alcohol knowledge. I can assure you that literally nothing could be further from the truth.

If I went to your bar, or one like it, here's reality.

Man, that bartender is kind of a dick. Yeah, let's go someplace else next time. Cool. Let me just pay the tab and lets get out of here.

**Tips reasonably in spite of self-important bartender because assumption is they need it more than I do.**

We don't go back there, and really don't ever even think about the experience again. There is no animosity, there is just a nothingness. You do not and did not ever exist in our consciousness. The only reason we crossed paths is because you're the gatekeeper to the drinks. If patrons were allowed to grab their own beers like they can fill their own drinks at McDonald's, then you'd be out on your ass, living in a van down by the river, pouring pruno for the other miscreants that could easily be replaced by robots.

ADVERTISEMENT
ADVERTISEMENT