ADVERTISEMENT

How many titles have the zebras stole from Kentucky?

HerrosHeroes

All-American
Aug 16, 2018
Ill start by saying Higgins in 2011 singlehandedly kept UK from beating UCONN in the semis with his preposterous calls.

Thats one title.

Your turn.

Oh and this should have been addressed a loooong time ago because we are cheated unmercifully yr in and yr out by officials.

Some one honestly should take the time to write a book with links to video proof!

We dont even get calls at home!

If its a close game, especially in the tournament we are going to lose due to this garbage.

Games are swayed more in college basketball by crooked officiating than in any other sport in the world.

Unless we are slaughtering teams we will probably not win another championship because of these a-holes that are bent on F’in UK.

Last edited:
2 instances will always stick out to me.

UK/UNC in the Elite 8 2016/2017.

UK/Wisconsin in the Final 4 2014/2015.

Higgins blatantly prevented UK from beating UNC and the missed shot clock violation against Wisconsin was not only close to 2 seconds late but completely changed the momentum of the final minutes.

I'll go with 1997 when Arizona shot 41 free throws to UKs 17.

I picked this year because it was the actual title game.

There is no way 2011 or 2015 or 2017 were sure titles if we win the games referenced with Calipari coaching. I'd say 2011 would have won as Knight followed up each crappy shooting game with a good one.

Vegas, officials and Duke in 2015? Idk guys.

2017 would have had to beat a good Oregon and good Gonzaga team.

1992 Duke (Tim Higgins)
1997 Arizona (Tim Higgins)
2010 WVU (Luckie)
2011 UConn (J Higgins)
2015 Wisconsin (J Higgins)
2017 UNCheats (J Higgins)

I chronicled J Higgins’ missed calls here and Luckie’s “craft” of officiating here.
This! That 1992 game with duke was absolutely egregious! Was nearly as bad as 2017. Cannot believe it isn’t mentioned more often. Not sure we would’ve won the title, but we were railroaded against duke.

Anyway, 1993, 1997, 2011, 2015 and 2017. Also, 2014 and 2019 were terrible as well.

Ill start by saying Higgins in 2011 singlehandedly kept UK from beating UCONN in the semis with his preposterous calls.

Thats one title.

Your turn.

Oh and this should have been addressed a loooong time ago because we are cheated unmercifully yr in and yr out by officials.

Some one honestly should take the time to write a book with links to video proof!

If its a close game, especially in the tournament we are going to lose due to this garbage.

Games are swayed more in college basketball by crooked officiating than in any other sport in the world.

Unless we are slaughtering teams we will probably not win another championship because of these a-holes that are bent on F’in UK.
UK v ucla 1975.

While I agree with a lot of these (especially Rooferee), I think key injuries have cost us more than the refs. 66, 70, 83-84, 93 and 97 were all very good chances for titles if we had been totally healthy.

• Sad
Reactions: Cowtown Cat
So what I’ve learned from this thread is every time UK has a good team and doesn’t win the title it’s the refs’ fault.

Reactions: UK90

Thats one title.

Your turn.

My list will only include final 4 teams, and my level of confidence that we'd have won a title w/ an even whistle. (If I went back a round, I'd argue for '92, '95 and '17.)
75 (absolute certainty), 93 (60%), 11 (75%), 14 (95%). So, probably 4 extra titles w/ decent officiating.

Zero. Unless you have proof of tampering, questionable officiating is just part of the game.

So what I’ve learned from this thread is every time UK has a good team and doesn’t win the title it’s the refs’ fault.
No....not everytime.

95 is a good example. Team went cold against the cheats....though there was a foul or two that could have changed things.

84 is another. UK couldn't handle the press and shot an atrocious 3/33 in the second half. Should have been able to handle georgetown and then Houston.

Just in the last decade:
15 Shot Clock
17 Rooferee
19 9+ minutes of fouling immunity (maybe not a title, but a final 4)

The Wisconsin loss felt like a screwjob from the opening minutes. That blatant shot clock violation was criminal. But UK also shit their pants down the stretch, no denying that.

The UConn loss in Dallas the year before felt like a screwjob. The charge on Poythress that should have been an and-one was criminal. But Harrison lost his shooting touch and Randle was a bit off.

I was at both, and I've never been so angry at a sporting event as I was at those two games.

2 instances will always stick out to me.

UK/UNC in the Elite 8 2016/2017.

UK/Wisconsin in the Final 4 2014/2015.

Higgins blatantly prevented UK from beating UNC and the missed shot clock violation against Wisconsin was not only close to 2 seconds late but completely changed the momentum of the final minutes.
Those two are with out a doubt on purpose

No....not everytime.

95 is a good example. Team went cold against the cheats....though there was a foul or two that could have changed things.

84 is another. UK couldn't handle the press and shot an atrocious 3/33 in the second half. Should have been able to handle georgetown and then Houston.
95's not the best example; that game's outcome was heavily influenced by referee decision. Rasheed Wallace probably should've been ejected, but refs decided to issue double techs, but to sweeten the deal in unc's favor, walter mccarty (who was off to a great start) was hit w/ the T, putting him in foul trouble and limiting his minutes, even though it was andre riddick who was in the brush-up and had rasheed by the throat. Or that's the way I remember that game; that might be one that i revisit.

95's not the best example; that game's outcome was heavily influenced by referee decision. Rasheed Wallace probably should've been ejected, but refs decided to issue double techs, but to sweeten the deal in unc's favor, walter mccarty (who was off to a great start) was hit w/ the T, putting him in foul trouble and limiting his minutes, even though it was andre riddick who was in the brush-up and had rasheed by the throat. Or that's the way I remember that game; that might be one that i revisit.
Yep...remember the fight.

But also remember UK couldn't throw it in the ocean that night.
7/36 from 3
21/75 fga

Reactions: nickhorvathsuxazz
The T on McCarty was pathetic. If that happened today, Wallace and Riddick get tossed, and McCarty doesn't get benched.

Reactions: nickhorvathsuxazz
Our missed free throws might have cost us more
Definitely lost the UConn semi-final in Houston, even with all the bad shooting and Knight being awful.

Definitely lost the K-State sweet 16 game when Loyola was waiting in the next round. Every time I watch PJ Washington at the line in the NBA, I think of that performance from him .... so bad.

Free throws didn't exactly help UK against St. Peter's, either. Wheeler airballing one was an all-timer, and just put a bow on the whole "Cal's teams choke at the line in the tourney" narrative/reality.

Reactions: Emarc
Unless it was a blatant miss in a final game they didn’t cost us anything but maybe a win even that is questionable. You see if you win the ff game you have to win the title game too. So no they didn’t cost us titles. A shot at a title? I can get with some of that but 2015 we shouldn’t have even been in a situation for refs to make an impact.

i don't think referees cost us any title. And ref-complainers crack me up.
I’m with you on this. Bad calls every game both ways.

With one exception. We were flat out cheated in ‘17 against UNC. And not incompetence. It was intentional.

I’ll never believe differently.

I was at that game and even the UNC people felt they were getting calls.

I was at the ‘15 game too. The shot clock not called was a terrible call.

But it was just one of many. That didn’t cost us the game. We should have beaten the brakes off them with no officials.

Reactions: BlueBomb
I'll go with 1997 when Arizona shot 41 free throws to UKs 17.

I picked this year because it was the actual title game.

There is no way 2011 or 2015 or 2017 were sure titles if we win the games referenced with Calipari coaching. I'd say 2011 would have won as Knight followed up each crappy shooting game with a good one.

Vegas, officials and Duke in 2015? Idk guys.

2017 would have had to beat a good Oregon and good Gonzaga team.
Yep, Arizona made 0 FGs in overtime and still won. All of their points were free throws in the OT.

ADVERTISEMENT

Latest posts

ADVERTISEMENT