ADVERTISEMENT

How is the “clear out” NOT called as a moving screen?

flacat22

All-SEC
Mar 12, 2011
Florida
Cardwell just used his fat ass to move a Florida defender all the way across the lane and created a clear path for the guard to drive unabated to the rim. He’s not the only one, many do it and I wonder why it’s not considered a moving screen and called as a foul? Is it not?

Also, Pullin for Florida ALWAYS pushes off and never gets called for it. I see a lot of things these teams are doing that Kentucky gets called for, but other teams don’t.

Reactions: flacat22
Also, Pullin for Florida ALWAYS pushes off and never gets called for it. I see a lot of things these teams are doing that Kentucky gets called for, but other teams don’t.
Infuriating. Washington from A&M must’ve done it 5–6 times to our bigs for Taylor to get to the hoop.

Reactions: Lempface
Notice how the teams still playing have bigs that are scoring. That will keep us from going very far, guards can win games alone with no offense from your big men in the NCAA tournament.

Reactions: Titpwhami2014
It’s a bit of a grey area in the rules. There’s a little plausible deniability where big guys can claim they’re sealing off to be in position to receive a pass inside when they do it right under the rim. I’ve definitely noticed it more recently where some of these guys are going over the top with it and backing their man away from the basket not even pretending to something other than clear a driving lane. I think it’s something that needs to be looked at in the offseason rule tweaks that usually happen.

It’s a bit of a grey area in the rules. There’s a little plausible deniability where big guys can claim they’re sealing off to be in position to receive a pass inside when they do it right under the rim. I’ve definitely noticed it more recently where some of these guys are going over the top with it and backing their man away from the basket not even pretending to something other than clear a driving lane. I think it’s something that needs to be looked at in the offseason rule tweaks that usually happen.
Good post.

I have noticed this throughout the season as well. My take is it should be a timing issue, if you are sealing before the drive takes place then that is fair game. However if you make contact with the post defender after the offensive player has started his drive that should be a moving screen.

Cardwell just used his fat ass to move a Florida defender all the way across the lane and created a clear path for the guard to drive unabated to the rim. He’s not the only one, many do it and I wonder why it’s not considered a moving screen and called as a foul? Is it not?
It is a moving screen, and should be called as such, but it is not.

The three second rule has gone the way of the traveling call. Seems to be non existent in todays game as well.
And it hadnt really bothered me that much, until they started taking advantage of it and acting like offensive linemen blocking for a running back, lol .

ADVERTISEMENT

Latest posts

ADVERTISEMENT