ADVERTISEMENT

DJ Wagner is not a Good Defender

CincyUKFan

Senior
Dec 1, 2009
Bangkok, Thailand
At the 11:29 mark in the second half his man dribbled across midcourt, and then used a screen at the top of the key, and went all the way to the rim with no resistance.

I think people just like to say that Wagner can defend because they feel like he must be able to do something right.

He is absolutely terrible and we better hope that he goes to the draft because you do not want this guy back.

At the 11:29 mark in the second half his man dribbled across midcourt, and then used a screen at the top of the key, and went all the way to the rim with no resistance.

I think people just like to say that Wagner can defend because they feel like he must be able to do something right.

He is absolutely terrible and we better hope that he goes to the draft because you do not want this guy back.
His lack of defense is old news....ditto for his lack of offense.

You haters just hope he’s not.

But you are just as wrong on Wagner as you are Cal.

So go suck on your loss tonight. The Cats are moving on without you.

Reactions: Dirk2Bowie
Is it though? You don’t think there will be much better dudes in the portal? Do you realize he just doesn’t have the physical tools or athleticism or really anything to ever play the NBA or to be a good college player? Apparently you don’t.
I want every player on this team that’s eligible to return to do just that. I do agree he’s limited physically he’s also the youngest player on the team .

The entire team has worked and played hard so yes I do want them all to return because they all have room to improve .

"UK fan"

giphy.gif

And he did that after how many terrible defensive plays? His man scores on him at will both on the perimeter and on the drive. It’s embarrassingly bad.
I think you exaggerate...and I don't see how it's DJ's fault that his man scored on a straight drive to the basket after he'd been picked off

Reactions: shaudyshaud
I think you exaggerate...and I don't see how it's DJ's fault that his man scored on a straight drive to the basket after he'd been picked off
Obviously, that’s exaggeration. But it remains true that when you look at the analytics, he is objectively the worst defensive player on the team. That is not an opinion - it is absolute fact.

He is the best on ball perimeter defender we have by a mile. It isn't even close. He totally took Auburn out of their game plan by himself. Was a major reason we won that game despite doing nothing on offense.

How many of you Wagner defenders are also Cal lovers? at times I forget that to criticize Wagner or Edwards is to criticize Cal.

If this isn’t really you defending Cal, please walk me through why you see Wagner as a good defender when the analytics say that he is the very worst.

Go watch the Auburn game and pay attention.

Also, fwiw I do not think that he should be starting anymore.

I want every player on this team that’s eligible to return to do just that. I do agree he’s limited physically he’s also the youngest player on the team .

The entire team has worked and played hard so yes I do want them all to return because they all have room to improve .
Was he a reclass?

DJ is God awful. I get heart palpitations every time he gets the ball like how is he going to **** the possession this time? Turnover turnover turnover

I’m not sure anyone on our team is truly a good defender….but thank God for that fast paste offense 😂

Reactions: permdaddy
OK. Please walk me through that great on ball defense on the play mentioned in the original post.
On ball defense is in reference to keeping your man in front of you. Your post mentions a ball screen, so that’s on the big that got screened, also.
Now, if you wanna get technical, I hate how UK chases on top of ball screens, almost always. They never go under ball screens and that leads to wide open layups. If our bigs hedged harder and bumped the drive, it would give the guards time to recover. Ya dig?

He was the defensive player of the game, some people just dont get it

• Haha
Reactions: CincyUKFan
Yes, you can find individual plays every where every single player on the team sucked on defense. You could probably make a long list for every player every game actually.

But go watch the first few minutes of the Auburn game. Wagner had great ball pressure and locked down his man. That whole starting 5 played pretty damn good defense and Auburn only had 2 points in the first five and a half minutes of the game.

If Wagner is locked in he can be a very good on ball defender.

ADVERTISEMENT
ADVERTISEMENT