ADVERTISEMENT

How in the world is MB still at UK?

Status
Not open for further replies.
You guys need to take that over to the rifle forum, this is the football forum. Appreciate the like though, most fans are afraid to give one to this subject.

I hope you don't get any hate mail because of it.

Didn't CBG get burned in effigy, or what was that deal, forgot the details. Pretty costly to get rid of him though, with that contract written on toilet paper, and the extra assistant AD to interface with Cal has to cost something too. And really hard to put a price on what the "microwave fans" disaster cost us in donations AND season ticket sales, but halving the student ticket allotment to make room for the 20,000 extra season ticket hold-------oh, forgot, that was a minus 20,000, but then reducing the seating by 6,000 will make that hardly noticeable, and we are still ahead of Vandy in the SEC in seating (thank God for Vandy) and I think we are still tied with city college Transfer U because the school with the top ten APR forgot how to add and subtract... We are still going to have a TON of fans buying individual tickets to see the BEST football talent UK has assembled since Curci cheated, at the least..

I don't know about you guys, some of you are probably fit to be tied, but I really have a lot of fun on here, hard to fight FACTS..
Don't be concerned about this 'ol Cat. Some of our guys have a wet dream when they can attack some poster. I respect all opinoins. IDGAS if I get attacked or whatever. We're just talking about it.

Reactions: jauk11
From where we were when he took over to where we are now. Absolutely

And how much of the facilities improvement is due to UK LOSING 20,000 season ticket holders and the OTHER SEC ADs recognizing what the coming money cow was?

Reactions: wildcatdonf
Talking about a douche...someone writing something that long and keeps regurgitating the same BS past history over and over and the only one that seems to be buying it is you. You don't even have to read it anymore to know the bull that is there.
I’m a Jauk fan because of his passion and zeal for UK Football. I like the guy..no apologies

LOL, and you give him all the credit for the ridiculous merry go round UK football has been put through, ONLY rescued by the OTHER SEC ADs paying attention?

So you agree with law that he had to go from a season where we averaged a sellout for all our home games, with 6,000 more seats before the improvements, to consecutive TWO WIN seasons was completely unavoidable? The "recruiting room", the ridiculous recruiting and operating budgets, insulting the fans, NOTHING above the bare minimum for football for his first full decade, running off 20,000 season ticket holders, none of his ridiculous penny pinching had any effect on football?

You really need to get together with law and get your stories straight.

I think you are a bean counter, you tell me how much of the $40,000,000 PLUS bowl money rolling in now is due to the great support mitch gave UK football, and how much is due to OTHER SEC teams FOOTBALL, THE driving force in all the money, Where would our athletic departments budget be now without that money, after losing TWENTY THOUSAND season ticket holders?

And also please inform me just how much of the tens of millions STILL being lost from losing TWENTY THOUSAND season ticket holders was absolutely necessary as part of the rebuilding process, and how much has he lost in donations from the microwave football fans? Surely you remember the LONG RUNNING thread on here where hundreds of fans swore they would like to donate to UK football but would never donate a cent as long as mitch was in charge of spending the money.

I will wait for your answer, just like I am still waiting for ONE rebuttal from Slugger that claims he has proven all my FACTS to be wrong, when he is smart enough to not even try, just spouts more pure BS.

Last edited:
Could we rename this and several other threads, "Mitch's Snitches vs. Mitch's Bitches?"

Couldn't help myself once the thought entered my head.

Aren't you in your sixties, shouldn't you have learned a little restraint by now? Look at me, I am only 80 and already I have learned that arguing with the peasants is an exercise in futi--------

Never mind, maybe you should look somewhere else for an example of self control..

Last edited:

How about from 2007 to 2012?

From upsetting the NC to losing to BOTH in state schools AND all eight SEC games?

AND repeating that record in 2013?.

And losing 20,000 season ticket holders in the process, do you think all those 20,000 were completely happy with mitch at the time? And do you really think he was completely inept during all this process, and why were we paying him the big bucks if he was helpless, he sure gets a lot of credit for spending all of football's money on his minor sports.

How much in contributions from unhappy football fans would you guess we lost during this process, do you think they really were happy with mitch then?

If you were the AD and you had driven off 20,000 season ticket holders AND the OTHER SEC teams that weren't asleep were giving you over $40,000,000 a year PLUS a share of their bowl money mainly due to their football programs what would you do with the money, and do you really think you would have ANY choice?

Sounds pretty simple to me, no idea why some can't follow the argument.

I rest my case.

Last edited:
Reactions: wildcatdonf
Jauk, when did you give up your season tix?

When I graduated from UK, moved close to 400 miles away to Huntsville to work on the space program, took my first drink in my life, and started enjoying having a budget that wasn't close to the starvation level, I lost 17 pounds my last semester at UK and I was skinny when I started the semester.

I also started a very good flag football league from scratch my only year there, a very good league that kind of tied me down on weekends, running the league, officiating, coaching, and playing, We came in second in the league to a team with some Bama players, they had a second string QB at Bama that wasn't a great passer but boy was he fast, he scored on about a 40 yard run with about two minutes to go to beat us 13 to 7, our QB couldn't run or pass, and I was never a QB coach, we just went out and played...

What were you doing your first year out of college during football season, sitting on your butt in a football stadium? I did manage to get over to Auburn when UK played them. I have always enjoyed being on the field more than sitting on my butt, whether it was playing or officiating, one or both really tied me down during football season most of my life.

Mitch isn't going anywhere. SEC Football is going to make UK tons of money regardless if we go 12-0 (never happening) or 0-12 (shouldn't happen either). He has all the small sports no one cares about except for the players and parents doing well...so he is an epic AD in the school's eyes.

Reactions: jauk11

I said I rested my case, and that was against that one poster, I didn't say I gave up my case, much too strong a case to give up..

And I am rested now, how about that recruiting budget only about 60% of basketball's (less than a third of Thug U's that year that has EVERYTHING in football compared to us) for FOUR TIMES the recruits, when UK basketball had EVERYTHING compared to UK football at the time--------and yet UK football was credited with making EIGHTEEN MILLION in that year compared to bb clearing about $5M.

How much of that extra FOOTBALL money was plowed back into the MONEY MAKER? Close to zero above the bare minimum necessary to keep it afloat by my calculations, but he managed to find enough to upgrade the minor sports-------that would have had a LOT more money from football if he hadn't starved it to death.

Losing TWENTY THOUSAND season ticket holders has to cost something, wouldn't you agree?

Nah, probably not, just got rid of some of the microwave fans.

Last edited:
Reactions: mktmaker
I said I rested my case, and that was against that one poster, I didn't say I gave up my case, much too strong a case to give up..

And I am rested now, how about that recruiting budget only about 60% of basketball's (less than a third of Thug U's that year that has EVERYTHING in football compared to us) for FOUR TIMES the recruits, when UK basketball had EVERYTHING compared to UK football at the time--------and yet UK football was credited with making EIGHTEEN MILLION in that year compared to bb clearing about $5M.

How much of that extra FOOTBALL money was plowed back into the MONEY MAKER? Close to zero above the bare minimum necessary to keep it afloat by my calculations, but he managed to find enough to upgrade the minor sports-------that would have had a LOT more money from football if he hadn't starved it to death.

Losing TWENTY THOUSAND season ticket holders has to cost something, wouldn't you agree?

Nah, probably not, just got rid of some of the microwave fans.
Did we lose 20,000 season tickets? I can’t seem to find that anywhere in this thread.

When I graduated from UK, moved close to 400 miles away to Huntsville to work on the space program, took my first drink in my life, and started enjoying having a budget that wasn't close to the starvation level, I lost 17 pounds my last semester at UK and I was skinny when I started the semester.

I also started a very good flag football league from scratch my only year there, a very good league that kind of tied me down on weekends, running the league, officiating, coaching, and playing, We came in second in the league to a team with some Bama players, they had a second string QB at Bama that wasn't a great passer but boy was he fast, he scored on about a 40 yard run with about two minutes to go to beat us 13 to 7, our QB couldn't run or pass, and I was never a QB coach, we just went out and played...

What were you doing your first year out of college during football season, sitting on your butt in a football stadium? I did manage to get over to Auburn when UK played them. I have always enjoyed being on the field more than sitting on my butt, whether it was playing or officiating, one or both really tied me down during football season most of my life.

I just wanted to make sure what I assumed. Your claim is that neither Mitch nor you did anything to help UK football improve. I realize that you blame Mitch more than you blame yourself, but I was just confirming my suspicion.

I suspect on some message board Mitch has blamed you for everything bad using millions of words. He is probably equally as irrationally entrenched about you. Don’t give up first!!!

Mitch isn't going anywhere. SEC Football is going to make UK tons of money regardless if we go 12-0 (never happening) or 0-12 (shouldn't happen either). He has all the small sports no one cares about except for the players and parents doing well...so he is an epic AD in the school's eyes.
Untrue...UK sports is drawing great in baseball,wbb, softball, track has been off the charts on a national scale... Let me guess basketball only guy, right?

Did we lose 20,000 season tickets? I can’t seem to find that anywhere in this thread.

Yes we did, right about that, still trying to recover. I had one post that documented it after too many questioned it.

You need to look a little harder, but then I think your problem might be lackawanna.

I'm afraid this Barnhart extension is the killing blow to UK football.

I had a small hope, but that has been obliterated.

A mere 55 years of age, thank you very much.

And I don't look a day over 53!

Oops.

Sorry, not sure where I got that impression, surely your picture with the toupee, facelift, new beauty cream treatments, etc etc don't make you look a day older than--------53.

That is one of the big things I like about you, you are truthful, I also like your sense of humor.

Kentucky Basketball makes more money for the SEC than any football team in most years. If a football team makes the playoffs, it's a $6 million payout for the SEC, Kentucky basketball making a Final Four earns the conference $8.5 million, UK making the Elite 8 earns the SEC $6.8 million. I hate it when people act like we're mooching off the conference.

Kentucky Basketball makes more money for the SEC than any football team in most years. If a football team makes the playoffs, it's a $6 million payout for the SEC, Kentucky basketball making a Final Four earns the conference $8.5 million, UK making the Elite 8 earns the SEC $6.8 million. I hate it when people act like we're mooching off the conference.

Yeah.....thats just not true at all. Laughably false even.

Basketball:
Every 2017 Tournament game a school participates in will earn their conference just north of $1.7 million -- money paid out in rolling installments over the course of the next six years. This season, each 'unit', as they're known, is worth right in the neighborhood of $265,000. Next year's units are projected to be around $272,620, and they will continue to grow at around the same rate for years to come. Participation in a single game will earn your conference a single unit, per year, for the next six years. Play in two games, earn two units per year for your conference for the next six years. Three games? Three units. Etc. Teams earn their conference six units for every tournament game besides the championship, for which no units are distributed.

SEC made $27 million on the NCAAT last year.

Football:
$54 million base payout (which includes $300,000 for each team which meets the NCAA’s APR for participation in a post-season football game)
$6 million for Alabama’s berth in seminfinals

$6 million for Georgia’s berth in the semifinals
$4 million for Auburn’s berth in the Peach Bowl
Total: $70 million
Note on the SEC’s revenue distribution model: For bowl games with receipts of $4,000,000 – $5,999,999, the participating team retains $1.5 million, plus a travel allowance determined by SEC. For bowl games with receipts of $6 million or more (including all College Football Playoff games), the participating team receives $2.025 million, plus a travel allowance determined by the SEC. If an SEC team makes it to the championship game, it receives another $2.125 million, plus travel allowance.

SEC made $70 million on football bowls last year.

What that means is we made the SEC about $1 million this fiscal year in basketball. Yes its going to be $6 million eventually and we will probably make a deep run this year and continue to compound our contribution. But the same logic holds true for bowl games by making them each year. Even if we dont, 9 SEC teams minimum normally do, which we get a cut of. We got $2.75 million for the Music City bowl alone. I mean thats almost triple basketball, and its off of just one game, not multiple. And if we bowl again next year the same holds true which is why its important to note that the $6 mil is over 6 years not 1.

Im sorry but I dont get how you can imply the basketball revenue is remotely even in the same stratosphere as what football generates. I mean....its not even close.

Reactions: thepip and law1127
In fact here, lets make it even simpler. Here are athletics teams ranked in order of revenue generated by individual team for 2017-18:

https://www.collegeraptor.com/college-rankings/details/TopRevenue

The first 30 teams are ALL football, until you get to UofL at #31.

The only other basketball team in the entire Top 50 is Duke....right at #50. And all the teams in between....football.

UK basketball is #63 overall. Indiana and North Carolina football make more money than our basketball team.

Sorry for two lengthy diatribes on this but I get a bit fired up when our fans continually perpetuate this ignorant myth that UK basketball is the straw that stirs the fiscal drink. It isn't, and it isnt even close to true.

laughing-hysterically-gif-2.gif

giphy.gif

Reactions: robo222
Laughing because you cant add?
Yeah.....thats just not true at all. Laughably false even.

Basketball:
Every 2017 Tournament game a school participates in will earn their conference just north of $1.7 million -- money paid out in rolling installments over the course of the next six years. This season, each 'unit', as they're known, is worth right in the neighborhood of $265,000. Next year's units are projected to be around $272,620, and they will continue to grow at around the same rate for years to come. Participation in a single game will earn your conference a single unit, per year, for the next six years. Play in two games, earn two units per year for your conference for the next six years. Three games? Three units. Etc. Teams earn their conference six units for every tournament game besides the championship, for which no units are distributed.

SEC made $27 million on the NCAAT last year.

Football:
$54 million base payout (which includes $300,000 for each team which meets the NCAA’s APR for participation in a post-season football game)
$6 million for Alabama’s berth in seminfinals

$6 million for Georgia’s berth in the semifinals
$4 million for Auburn’s berth in the Peach Bowl
Total: $70 million
Note on the SEC’s revenue distribution model: For bowl games with receipts of $4,000,000 – $5,999,999, the participating team retains $1.5 million, plus a travel allowance determined by SEC. For bowl games with receipts of $6 million or more (including all College Football Playoff games), the participating team receives $2.025 million, plus a travel allowance determined by the SEC. If an SEC team makes it to the championship game, it receives another $2.125 million, plus travel allowance.

SEC made $70 million on football bowls last year.

What that means is we made the SEC about $1 million this fiscal year in basketball. Yes its going to be $6 million eventually and we will probably make a deep run this year and continue to compound our contribution. But the same logic holds true for bowl games by making them each year. Even if we dont, 9 SEC teams minimum normally do, which we get a cut of. We got $2.75 million for the Music City bowl alone. I mean thats almost triple basketball, and its off of just one game, not multiple. And if we bowl again next year the same holds true which is why its important to note that the $6 mil is over 6 years not 1.

Im sorry but I dont get how you can imply the basketball revenue is remotely even in the same stratosphere as what football generates. I mean....its not even close.
I'm comparing the revenue UK brings into the SEC from NCAA tournament units to any 1 football program, not the entire SEC. The most any one football program can generate for the SEC is 6 million dollars from a playoff berth, making a Final Four nets you approximately $8.5 million. Yes, its paid out over 6 years but that doesn't stop it from being $8.5 million. I wasnt saying basketball stirs the drink fiscally, I'm saying UK gives it fair share to the SEC and doesn't mooch off of it as I felt that someone implied earlier.

I'm comparing the revenue UK brings into the SEC from NCAA tournament units to any 1 football program, not the entire SEC. The most any one football program can generate for the SEC is 6 million dollars from a playoff berth, making a Final Four nets you approximately $8.5 million. Yes, its paid out over 6 years but that doesn't stop it from being $8.5 million. I wasnt saying basketball stirs the drink fiscally, I'm saying UK gives it fair share to the SEC and doesn't mooch off of it as I felt that someone implied earlier.
I can read. The article linked shows by individual sport by University. Total revenue not including expenses.

Kentucky basketball barely registers against football at almost every SEC school.

We've made a handful of Final Fours under that financial payout. Even overall we have what 17...18? The SEC has had a team in the football title game every year for well over a decade. 2005 the last year? So hell with Bama this year itll be 14 in a row. So again, not even close. Sure, the basketball helps mitigate it but it doesnt offset the disparity. Doing our part to make a bowl game would make it much more equitable. Basically, basketball is the least we could do considering how much SEC football gets kicked our way.

Last edited:
A mistake of sheer ignorance is made by some people who believe that just because they don’t personally care or understand about the importance of other sports, therefore no one cares about other sports. Actually, though, lots of people care about, and even participate in, all the other sports.

While on the subject, what a fantastic hire Lonnie Greene is for UK track and field team.

Kentucky has played in bowl games 7 out of the last 12 years, and will play in another this year unless Benny Snell flunks out of school or gets run over by a truck.
Precisely. Which would have a been a much more germane point for him to have brought up to point out why Kentucky isnt mooching. Doing much more recently to carry our weight. The basketball money helps but it doesnt offset or substitute what we get even through a minor bowl. According to the article I linked above we would have generated only about $600K in last years exit v IU. Its pretty clear making bowl games consistently is where we will earn our keep, not 2 Final Fours a decade or whatever it would average out to.

I can read. The article linked shows by individual sport by University. Total revenue not including expenses.

Kentucky basketball barely registers against football at almost every SEC school.
Again, you're too stupid too comprehend. I wasn't talking about total revenue, when I used the words "makes more money for the SEC" that's exactly what I was talking about. If I were talking total revenues I would have said total revenues.

A mistake of sheer ignorance is made by some people who believe that just because they don’t personally care or understand about the importance of other sports, therefore no one cares about other sports. Actually, though, lots of people care about, and even participate in, all the other sports.

While on the subject, what a fantastic hire Lonnie Greene is for UK track and field team.

I like Greene. Hope he continues the track trajectory at UK. It’s fun watching UK do well.

http://amp.kentucky.com/sports/coll...ticle214254549.html?__twitter_impression=true

Reactions: robo222
Again, you're too stupid too comprehend. I wasn't talking about total revenue, when I used the words "makes more money for the SEC" that's exactly what I was talking about. If I were talking total revenues I would have said total revenues.
Actually Total AND Net Revenues at all the schools mentioned dwarf UK b-balls Total and NET Revenues

Status
Not open for further replies.
ADVERTISEMENT
ADVERTISEMENT