ADVERTISEMENT

How good is talent of our roster, compared to SEC

reflaine

Junior
Jul 26, 2007
lets break it down to two catagories how many players on last years team start on the top four teams in the sec?

How many start in the top seven or half of the sec teams?

Honestly I think Snell might be only one who starts (maybe not at bama or Georgia still but would get carried) at the top four

Think in top half you have Allen, Snell, maybe edwards

Still lower SEC talent , but the gap between us and the upper half of the league has been closed significantly compared to years past.
I agree and why I don’t see why a lot on here are in the fire stoops camp. Or maybe they are just the most vocal. We have nearly no one who sees significant time at any top programs, it fans are wanting to move on because we haven’t won the east

Based on wins the last two years, Kentucky is winning half of its league games. That would place the team at no lower than the top of the bottom half of the league. Players that could play elsewhere depends on the needs of the other teams near the top.

Everything is relative, just as you suggest.
We have improved in a down cycle for the SEC.

Based on wins the last two years, Kentucky is winning half of its league games. That would place the team at no lower than the top of the bottom half of the league. Players that could play elsewhere depends on the needs of the other teams near the top.
Not really. UK's opponents in '17 were collectively 10 games under 500 in the SEC or a record of 3.4 wins each. What's particularly telling is we lost to two teams under 500, FL & OM (And unnecessarily so.).

Reactions: brianpoe
I agree and why I don’t see why a lot on here are in the fire stoops camp. Or maybe they are just the most vocal. We have nearly no one who sees significant time at any top programs, it fans are wanting to move on because we haven’t won the east

Still have to move to that next level and get competitive against the better teams and beat some more Top 25 teams. One thing we have lacked in the past five years is signature wins.

Josh Allen would be hard to keep off the field and Edwards. Snell would be in any rotation in the nation. Could probably throw Conrad in the mix as well but the OP is right in a lot of what he is saying. While we have closed the gap, it's still a wide gap from the top 5 or so in the league.

Stoops strength is recruiting and he’s done a fine job considering who we are. But you gotta be able to beat more with less at UK. He has not proven to be that kind of coach and without winning at a high clip, we are never going to be able to recruit on the same level as the majority of the SEC.

It's not just about wins and losses (although the Florida and Ole Miss games should have been). It is how they look out there. If we looked well coached and lost because of just being outmanned that is fine. If we look like a cluster f*** in a game that we can win and end up losing that is when there is a problem.

We just don't look like a well coached team most of the time. There are plenty of teams that perform better even when outmanned. Why can't our players look like they are being put in a position to make the plays? If they are then why are they not performing like they are? Either they aren't being taught properly or they refuse to listen. Whatever the issues are it falls back on the head coach to get it fixed.

lets break it down to two catagories how many players on last years team start on the top four teams in the sec?

Honestly I think Snell might be only one who starts (maybe not at bama or Georgia still but would get carried) at the top four

The standard for starting for other teams is a bad standard. Sonny Michel didn't start for Georgia and wouldn't start for us. There are a lot of exceptional players that wouldn't start for a lot of teams as the SEC is a talent filled league. I'd pick a standard of whether or not a player can compete with his counterpart.

Reactions: Deeeefense
The standard for starting for other teams is a bad standard. Sonny Michel didn't start for Georgia and wouldn't start for us. There are a lot of exceptional players that wouldn't start for a lot of teams as the SEC is a talent filled league. I'd pick a standard of whether or not a player can compete with his counterpart.

Bad example, Michele was the best back at UGA and argueably the best back in the conference. Great receiver, runner and blocker.

Reactions: Pulaski Cat Fan
Bad example, Michele was the best back at UGA and argueably the best back in the conference. Great receiver, runner and blocker.
That was actually my point. Chubb was actually listed as the starter. Asking how many could start for other teams is a terrible standard.

Maybe because we all see the same thing as you and know we must capitalize when the chances are there and not muff it up due to poor execution, preparation, schemes, discipline and fundamentals?

Does your question only address which Wildcats could have started for some top tier SEC teams in 2017 specifically? That would probably be Snell, Conrad, Allen, Baity, Edwards, MacGinnis. If the answer is broadened to include younger Wildcats who would start eventually for top tier SEC teams, then Jackson, Young, Stenberg, Paschal, and several other less experienced Wildcats might make that list. It is good to remember that at least 8 players on our 2017 roster turned down scholarship offers from Alabama. Snell, Allen, Baity, Edwards, MacGinnis were not even among them. So our roster might not be SEC elite yet, but it isn't as weak as some people may think.

Reactions: brianpoe
Maybe because we all see the same thing as you and know we must capitalize when the chances are there and not muff it up due to poor execution, preparation, schemes, discipline and fundamentals?

This is spot on...we need every advantage possible and have to capitalize on every break that we’re given. There are many, many teams out there that have the same level recruits we get that simply do more with them.

Well some schools get pros to come back others do not.

Why is Damien Harris staying at Alabama?

Mostly because this year’s draft class at RB is absolutely ridiculous - he wouldn’t be one of the first 10 RB picked and maybe not 15.

Interesting topic and good discussion.

What about Landon Young and Drake Jackson? They both couldve gone anywhere and would probably play a lot.

I think these guys could play for most teams:
Benny
Baker?
Conrad
Young
Jackson
Allen
Jones (focused Jones, not "mental" Jones)
Edwards
Baity
Others?

Edit: am only considering returnees. Add
Paschal
Bunchy?
Ware?
Bohanna?

Last edited:
9 teams in the SEC have recruiting classes ranked higher than UK. Recruiting has improved a lot with Stoops but still nowhere near the level UK needs to compete consistently in the SEC.

Benny
Baker?
Conrad
Young
Jackson
Allen
Jones (focused Jones, not "mental" Jones)
Edwards
Baity
Others?

I think Ware would hit the field for 10 or more SEC teams. I think Pascal and Boogie Watson, both quite young, would see time at any program in the nation, by at least their third year at said program.

All are correct in saying the talent deficiency still exists between us and the top half of the SEC, but we all need to realize that it has been significantly reduced.

There were many seasons where we might have two or three players who would get a sniff at the top third of the SEC, and I think we have as many as 15, or so, now.

9 teams in the SEC have recruiting classes ranked higher than UK. Recruiting has improved a lot with Stoops but still nowhere near the level UK needs to compete consistently in the SEC.

And three close on our heels, actually Mizzou the only one we are safely ahead of, A&M (moneybags) well back now but sure to pass us, SEVEN four stars and only fourteen commits, even Vandy has five four stars already, AND Transfer U is still ahead of us also. But I expect to pass several of them when (if they ever do) they allow our two "ZERO" rated recruits to add their points to our total, we still have less than the 20 that get maximum points.

But we probably end up in a closely knit group of five or six SEC teams well behind the SEC elite, Bama and Georgia still well ahead of everyone else.

These guys would start/play at many SEC teams in order of probability
100% locks or pretty likely:
- Benny
- McGinnis
- Josh Allen
- CJ
- Edwards
- Juice would play in slot WR rotation at a ton of schools
- Stenberg...kid is a really good guard

Likely to maybe:
- Ware
- Big George is a really good OL
- Baity (I was stunned how he played for a really solid talented kid IMO)
- Bunchy
- Stephen Johnson in the right system

Why nobody mentions our OL is a headscratcher to me. We have run the ball awesome to solid for 2 years in a row in SEC. We have to give that unit more credit than just Benny.

I think Ware would hit the field for 10 or more SEC teams. I think Pascal and Boogie Watson, both quite young, would see time at any program in the nation, by at least their third year at said program.

All are correct in saying the talent deficiency still exists between us and the top half of the SEC, but we all need to realize that it has been significantly reduced.

There were many seasons where we might have two or three players who would get a sniff at the top third of the SEC, and I think we have as many as 15, or so, now.

Hard to believe they made us play an SEC schedule with the talent our coaches were able to recruit with MISERABLE support, huge talent deficit in the recent past.. Huge improvements, but not nearly there yet, not sure where we would find a staff that could improve this staff's recruiting at this point..

Glad to see you that high on Boogie, at a position of need. And I think you should add Bohanna to that list, hard for a true freshmen to pass up two senior starters, also think that some of the players that just decided to return have to be in the mix of the SEC's best. And I expect some of the redshirts and younger players to still emerge as very good players.

Our talent level is trending upwards, need another good season though, this needs to be the year, we need at least 7 wins IMO. Although our recruiters are amazing, IMO.

Paschal. Doh! Cant believe i forgot him. Definitely.

Watson, i dont know enough about. Ware and Bunchy could as well. Im only considering returnees ....

Ninth in the SEC still top 25 range in CFB. You will have to win with less at UK. Brooks had recruiting classes much lower than we have today and won 8 games a couple of times. With these type of classes and the right coaching we might could win 10 once every five years or so.

Hard to tell. A lot of variables including how fast UT and UF’s new staffs get things turned around, will MSU take a big step back and how UL’s offense performs without Superman at QB.

Gut says 4 is the floor (everything collapses) 7 is the ceiling (D improves and we find a solid QB).

Thats spot on. It is better, but they have start hitting on more than 1 next level kid in a class. It feels like recruiting has really plateaued and maybe even back slid this year a little.

Agreed we’ve probably reached steady state. Can’t sell the immediate playing time card anymore.
What about the effects of the recruiting room and the facilities?
It seems like that's all we heard for quite a long time.
Are they providing a boost or are they just old news?
Are they making a difference?

Certainly doesn’t hurt, but I think you’d be hard pressed to find very many Power 5 programs, let alone SEC programs, who haven’t dumped serious money into new facilities the last few years.

There’s crazy TV money everywhere now.

Reactions: jauk11

Stoops has done an excellent job recruiting. It's time to start seeing results on the field. I really hope it works out, but if not next man up. This is P5 college football. If you don't win 8 games and occasionally 9 or 10 then it's next man up.

Reactions: thepip
Agreed we’ve probably reached steady state. Can’t sell the immediate playing time card anymore.
I gotta think that this year is almost make or break with stoops era. They almost have to have a breakout year with a couple signature wins to regain momentum. I think you could really feel it slow down on the recruiting trail this year.

Still lower SEC talent , but the gap between us and the upper half of the league has been closed significantly compared to years past.
Do you not realize there are trolls and posters who simply write negativity to stir passions among normally reasonable fans. These people make up a minuscule group of agitators who enjoy reading reactive posts just for their personal pleasure.

ADVERTISEMENT