ADVERTISEMENT

How good is talent of our roster, compared to SEC

Do you not realize there are trolls and posters who simply write negativity to stir passions among normally reasonable fans. These people make up a minuscule group of agitators who enjoy reading reactive posts just for their personal pleasure.
Good lord....this thread was doing just fine.

Mostly because this year’s draft class at RB is absolutely ridiculous - he wouldn’t be one of the first 10 RB picked and maybe not 15.

I don't care how tough it will be this draft year, I don't want to see you trying to get Chub and Michel to come back for another year.

9 teams in the SEC have recruiting classes ranked higher than UK. Recruiting has improved a lot with Stoops but still nowhere near the level UK needs to compete consistently in the SEC.

Actually right now that is not true, only eight SEC teams are ahead of us.. Mizzou is the ony one that we are a cinch to finish ahead of, although there is a chance we could rise even more when we fill up AND they rate our two commits with ZERO points.

Recruiting rankings are not absolute fixed metrics like the balance in your bank account. They are a collection of educated opinions that have a fair amount of natural +/- variance. You can easily have a situation where a #30 class turns out to be better than a #20 class etc.

The best takeaway from the recruiting class rankings is that the classes we are bringing in now have a good enough talent base to be competitive with most teams on our schedule. Georgia may be an exception but most of the other teams we play we should be competitive with. Recruiting classes will improve concurrently with on-field performance. IOW we get to 9 wins and we may be able to advance in recruiting ranking from T25 to T15.

Reactions: jauk11
Stoops strength is recruiting and he’s done a fine job considering who we are. But you gotta be able to beat more with less at UK. He has not proven to be that kind of coach and without winning at a high clip, we are never going to be able to recruit on the same level as the majority of the SEC.

You are such a wet blanket.:cop:

The best takeaway from the recruiting class rankings is that the classes we are bringing in now have a good enough talent base to be competitive with most teams on our schedule. Georgia may be an exception but most of the other teams we play we should be competitive with. Recruiting classes will improve concurrently with on-field performance. IOW we get to 9 wins and we may be able to advance in recruiting ranking from T25 to T15.
I'd hope we'd be competitive with CMU/Murray/Middle.

We had every chance to win 9 this past season to improve recruiting. May have been our last best chance for that.

And I will be pleasantly surprised if we wind up T25 for 2018.

we are bringing in now have a good enough talent base to be competitive with most teams on our schedule.

Yep. We don't have to play LSU, Auburn and Bama in many seasons.

Someday, our stars will align, and we'll avoid the West's Big Three, and draw Arkansas, the same year State is down.

Short of wholesale recruiting violations, our best hope under Stoops was to get within shooting distance of 8 or 9 SEC programs, and our OOC opponents . . . .
We are there.

Most of our classes have been top 25 and everybody on here seems to think that our recruits are under ranked.

Stoops has done an excellent job recruiting. It's time to start seeing results on the field. I really hope it works out, but if not next man up. This is P5 college football. If you don't win 8 games and occasionally 9 or 10 then it's next man up.
jobforlife.jpg

Near the bottom...

Ole Miss had more talent than us...not just saying that because they beat us, but they had better athletes and more speed...

I've said it many times before, and I'll keep saying it, the gap between UK and where we want to go can only be closed by so much with talent. CMS can haul in top 15-30 classes regularly and that will no doubt help, but 6-8 programs we play on a regular basis will be hauling in higher ranked classes than that. A number of those programs will also have better HCs and/or staffs.

We've made progress under CMS in overall talent. The next step is to make up ground in development of said talent, game planning, and play calling. Simply put, CMS needs better assistants and coordinators.

Then, in addition to upgrading talent and staff, UK as a whole needs to improve it's football culture by upgrading and expanding the football operations. That is everyone around the team and staff. I'm sure the UK athletics administrators and staff are great, and i'm not even suggesting get rid of them, but we need more football people around the football team.

Essentially we need a football front office/operation stocked full of people from the football world. Former coaches from serious high school football areas, juco, and the college ranks. Also, I think it would be great to get some people from the pro ranks as well. Former scouts and front office people as well as coaches or players.

Reactions: jauk11
Doesnt UK’s record over the past couple of years answer this question, assuming recruiting rankings cannot be trusted?

I think we have 30-35 players that could make anyone's roster in the SEC. We probably have 5-10 players that could crack starting lineups on most SEC teams. We are still years away from having SEC talent 2 deep at every position. We have gained ground but have a long way to go.

Near the bottom...

Ole Miss had more talent than us...not just saying that because they beat us, but they had better athletes and more speed...

I've said it many times before, and I'll keep saying it, the gap between UK and where we want to go can only be closed by so much with talent. CMS can haul in top 15-30 classes regularly and that will no doubt help, but 6-8 programs we play on a regular basis will be hauling in higher ranked classes than that. A number of those programs will also have better HCs and/or staffs.

We've made progress under CMS in overall talent. The next step is to make up ground in development of said talent, game planning, and play calling. Simply put, CMS needs better assistants and coordinators.

Then, in addition to upgrading talent and staff, UK as a whole needs to improve it's football culture by upgrading and expanding the football operations. That is everyone around the team and staff. I'm sure the UK athletics administrators and staff are great, and i'm not even suggesting get rid of them, but we need more football people around the football team.

Essentially we need a football front office/operation stocked full of people from the football world. Former coaches from serious high school football areas, juco, and the college ranks. Also, I think it would be great to get some people from the pro ranks as well. Former scouts and front office people as well as coaches or players.

Agree on ole miss with more talent. Even though they cheated to acquire that talent. We still had to play them with that talent. Their WRs were the best we played all season. Qb was probably top two.

Doesnt UK’s record over the past couple of years answer this question, assuming recruiting rankings cannot be trusted?
Roughly speaking yes. UK has recruited middle of the pack and that's pretty much where they are. Still to do it right you have to map it to what the team needs. Miss State under Mullen always was better than recruiting rankings because they got what they needed for their system. They didn't recruit as well compared to other teams but they got what they needed for their style.

Roughly speaking yes. UK has recruited middle of the pack and that's pretty much where they are. Still to do it right you have to map it to what the team needs. Miss State under Mullen always was better than recruiting rankings because they got what they needed for their system. They didn't recruit as well compared to other teams but they got what they needed for their style.
But was still mid pack. One season over 4-4 in nine under Mullen.

ADVERTISEMENT