ADVERTISEMENT

How bad do we beat Duke in Nov and who guards Flagg?

Flagg is going to be a tough cover, I say he gets around 20 against us. He’s the real deal. We have to just play good team defense against him. Probably put Williams on him. Maybe Otega out on the wing. Duke is young but extremely talented again. Lots of new guys but we will have our hands full. I hope we win because we finally have the upperclassmen. It will be a dog fight and a 5-9 point win would be great.

Hope we win every game we play but we are gonna be huge underdogs with Duke being a top 10 team and us probably being unranked. If we stay within 8 I'll be very pleased.

If Duke's frosh are intimidated by the big time game atmosphere and our guys are hitting 3's we could win it.

• Sad
Reactions: Kuhldaddy
They've got talent no doubt but it's mostly a roster of guys who haven't played together and about 50% freshmen. I see some roster redundancy too - lots and lots of wings who are used to getting shots. Who will be their glue guys? Will Scheyer be able to manage egos when multiple 5 stars are upset they're not playing? I'm expecting Flagg and Malauch to be really good. Will they be great? Will their guard play be good or average?

I'd predict a coin flip game. Assume most non-UK fans would predict Duke though. Would love for Pope to start his tenure with a bang

Duke's actually deeper than we are, and they have a legit star.

That said, they will have around 11 guys who will expect to be rotation pieces. That's just not happening. I think their season ends in turmoil. Too many mouths to feed, especially at the forward/wing positions.

The hope here is that the Duke team will be too new and young. The transfers they got aren't going to start over the recruits (I don't think, at least), which means its gonna be a lot of inexperience.

I don't see any way they aren't starting 3 freshman, with another 3 or 4 getting 10-20mpg. Proctor will be getting another 30 and he's pretty meh to me.

I think their experience will be tucked away on the bench, and if it not, that's going to be an issue for them as it means their freshman aren't ready. Kentucky of course has a lot of transfers, but as I recall they were all generally rated higher and seem to be ready to play day 1.

I also will take Pope's coaching over Scheyers at this point, until I see Scheyer prove us wrong. Pope getting BYU to a 6-seed in the big12 is, to me, better coaching than anything I've seen from Scheyer. If anything, scheyer has been a slight disappintment.

All that said, they still have more NBA talent on their roster and one of the highest graded recruits in Flagg. I'm glad we are playing them early.

I would assume that when Carr is in the game, he guards Flagg. They're both PFs, but I believe Carr is currently a better player and will have a bigger impact on winning in that game.

I say we beat them by 15 points with Williams dogging Flagg all night.
Probably will have Williams on Malauch. I do not think Williams is mobile / athletic enough to chase Flagg out around the perimeter and up and down the floor. Flagg is very active out on the break as a scorer and passer. Might will have to go to a untraditional line up when Malauch and Flagg are both on the floor. MAYBE have Almonor (6-7 / 235 lbs.) or Robinson (6-6 / 190lbs.) try and guard him for spurts. Flagg is 6-9 (195lbs.) but Flagg plays the SF spot rather than PF or center.

I would assume that when Carr is in the game, he guards Flagg. They're both PFs, but I believe Carr is currently a better player and will have a bigger impact on winning in that game.
Only in size. He plays the SF position more than anything. Flagg is not one dimensional and does not stay in the post. He floats around on the perimeter, but where I think he will be most dangerous is out in the open court. He is really good at running the floor both as a scorer and is a very good passer. We will need someone really athletic to guard him. Carr is not that. Almonor or Robinson, see my post above.

Reactions: G-PIP
Will be a tough one to win against young, but solid, talent. They'll be the definite favorite but I think our guys coukd hang with them. If we're hitting shefots well and playing good defense we coukd pull this early season upset.

I say we put Oweh on him. Flagg is too athletic and mobile for ours bigs and too tall for the wings and guards. Let Oweh or even Butler get at him when he's dribbling and attack the fact that he has a high dribble. Also Oweh is an ox and won't give him space if he tries to take him in the post. 6'5 and 210lbs of muscle vs 6'9 and 190lbs is not necessarily in the taller players favor.

Also, I'm not in the mindset of trying to stop Flagg. He's going to get his, just dont make it easy. Just don't let the rest of them get hot. One player can't beat you alone.

Reactions: nickhorvathsuxazz
Carr is a better player than Flagg? God I love this place.

Their coach absolutely has ZERO track record of handling young stars well. He will have to hope and pray that everyone knows what they should be doing.

This is probably not going to be a great year for Duke. And that is Duke hate aside.

Only in size. He plays the SF position more than anything. Flagg is not one dimensional and does not stay in the post. He floats around on the perimeter, but where I think he will be most dangerous is out in the open court. He is really good at running the floor both as a scorer and is a very good passer. We will need someone really athletic to guard him. Carr is not that. Almonor or Robinson, see my post above.
Catsfanbgky, I appreciate the way you discuss basketball and explain your position a little bit. Makes me value your opinion. I have watched video of Flagg (although perhaps not as much as you) and was impressed by how hard he played. I see skills that, when combined with a high motor, would probably make him formidable as a college PF even as a freshman (no small thing in its own right). But I don’t see a level of SF skills yet (although I can see the upside there) that worry me in our game or make me think he’s one of the better college SFs next season – and his projected (or actual) draft position doesn’t speak to how good (i.e., how much he impacts his team winning games) he is as a freshman.

Personally, I love the idea of Duke playing him at SF, rather than PF, in the early game vs UK. Just think it might be giving away productivity potential from a team standpoint. Meaning, for example, would Duke be a better team with Sion James at SF & Flagg at PF vs Flagg at SF & Brown at PF? Truthfully, I don’t know enough to have a real strong opinion on this, but I tend to think James at SF would be the way to go. Not to get into a Cal bashing thing, but playing Flagg at SF smacks of what Cal might do for his NBA draft positioning rather than what helps the team the most.

And I still think Carr won’t have any problem guarding Flagg, plus I think Carr’s length will cause Flagg to be frustrated and less effective.

Reactions: nickhorvathsuxazz
ADVERTISEMENT
ADVERTISEMENT