ADVERTISEMENT

Holy crap. The Big Ten network made a documentary of the WatShot.

Wow. Impressive voice over at the end:

“The Shot” turned out to be a crucial turning point in college basketball history. Since that day, Indiana has won zero national championships, zero conference tournaments, played in zero Final Fours, made the Elite Eight zero times, and missed the NCAA tournament five times. Meanwhile, the defeated Wildcats won a national championship and six conference titles, played in three Final Fours and five Elite Eights. Yes, The Shot truly changed everything.”

Last edited:
Wow. Impressive voice over at the end:

“The Shot” turned out to be a crucial turning point in college basketball history. Since that day, Indiana has won zero national championships, zero conference tournaments, played in zero Final Fours and made the Elite Eight zero times. Meanwhile, the defeated Wildcats win a national championship and six conference titles, played in three Final Fours and five Elite Eights. Yes, The Shot changed everything.”
Not to mention the fact that we beat that IU team en route to said championship.

In a sane world, that fact would negate all the brouhaha over that win. It was a great game and a great shot. But we literally whipped their ass in the tourney and won it all. They should be embarassed frankly.

They have been past the Sweet 16 once since 1993. Once. And it was a fluke run. But still. Once.
That is an insane stat. Imagine telling Indiana fans in the summer of 1993 that you will only get past the Sweet 16 one time over the next 30+ years (because they ain't getting there anytime soon).

Reactions: kl40504 and dckala2
I could understand if Watford hit the shot in our game vs them in the 2012 NCAA Tourney knocking us out. Then his shot would be a MUCH BIGGER DEAL than a meaningless preseason game. Then all the stuff they have put out the popcorn boxes, frames pictures, phone book cover, etc. doesn't look as stupid.

Watford's shot was a hell of a shot but was NOT worth of all the hype it's got.

I could understand if Watford hit the shot in our game vs them in the 2012 NCAA Tourney knocking us out. Then his shot would be a MUCH BIGGER DEAL than a meaningless preseason game. Then all the stuff they have put out the popcorn boxes, frames pictures, phone book cover, etc. doesn't look as stupid.

Watford's shot was a hell of a shot but was NOT worth of all the hype it's got.
It’s all they have. ¯\_(ツ)_/¯

They have done SO little over the last 30 years that they have to use meaningless regular season win over the #1 team to boost their ego. To give them SOME solace in their mediocrity. To them, that regular season game was a championship. I can understand Evansville reacting like that. With Indiana, you just gotta pity them.

Nova won a national championship on a buzzer beater and they don't celebrate it the way IU does this shot. It was funny 5 years ago but as much as I love crapping on IU it's just becoming sad. Can you imagine if in the past 10 years the only highlight moment of your UK fandom was Davis blocking Henson in December and UK was still celebrating it like this? I'd cringe everytime it was brought up if that was my "blue blood" team acting like this over a regular season win.

What a joke. I assume they will need to update it to the times we are in to spotlight the racist fans they have. IU fans are the absolute worst. The BigTen Network is filled with homers and posers.

It's reached Jim Jones "Kool Aid" status in Bloomington/Big 10 Network. Guy hits a shot in December....to win a regular season game and in the same season, the teams meet up and despite the officials making sure UK played crippled with AD in foul trouble, Cats rolled by IU by a dozen in the MKG game. The very next year IU was the "darling" of CBB and got beaten in Sweet 16 by Syracuse and the end result is Tom Crean ended up getting fired.

So what exactly was defining about that moment? No National Titles or Final Fours came as a result of it. They lost to the same team later on when it meant something. The HC was fired and they are in an era where Archie Miller has yet to do anything meaningful?? I realize that BTN can't just show Ohio State FB clips all day/week but good lord-get some programming that celebrates accomplishments and not hysteria and mental illness.

I nominate Bloomington, IN to be an "autonomous zone".

With as big of a deal every IU fan made from the shot, I don't really think this should come as much of a shock. I guess it might be true about every other blue blood thinking about final four banners and national title trophies, but for every IU fan, this may be as close the fan base will ever get to feel about being the national champion at the end of the season. Good job, guys! Until IU can make it back to the big dance, you guys will always have this moment in IU history to look back on and ask each other "do you remember where you were?" when it happened?

This is like something I'd expect from the media department of a D2 school. It's a regular season win. An entire documentary?

We turned them into Appalachian state.
As bad as IU has been. They probably wish they were Appalachian State.

Reactions: wildcatwelder
Its just not IU , the entire b!G T!n is full of pretenders .. Yes Tosu got a title in football but in their minds they are on par with the Bama and the SEC .. the entire conference is losers , posers and wannabe's

So, how long before iu hangs some type of banner for the shot? Its like they really have no memory of who won it all that year, and who they lost to in the S16.

I thank them though. I remember reading some of the 12 guys took seeing that shot replayed 24/7 personal, and we know how they went on to finish the season.

I do wonder what the events after would’ve looked like had that shot rimmed out? In the end, I can live with the results: gave our guys some extra fire and I continue to laugh that iu has immortalized a regular season victory shot.

IU is the equivalent of that old Hollywood star that used to be a big deal and is still trying to live as if they're still a big deal even though they haven't done anything for decades.

IU won a regular season game against a big rival. That's it. That would be like UK making a documentary about the AD block against UNC. We literally had one of the most exciting tournament runs ever in 2014 and there's no documentary about that. This is how you know they're scraping the bottom of the barrel here.

People call them IUsedtobe aren't wrong. But it's been so long since they were relevant that most of their fanbase hardly remember when that actually was.

that they’re still celebrating it is the running joke, not us mentioning that they use to celebrate it.
Hell they still celebrate bobby knight in Indiana even after he made them the laughing stock of not only college basketball, but of all universities in the country when he was running around telling the president of the university what he could and could not do.

Reactions: RunninRichie
ADVERTISEMENT
ADVERTISEMENT