ADVERTISEMENT

Herbstreit on 8-team playoff

Great, cant wait to watch a 1 seed really blow out an 8 seed.

We've had, what, only 2 competitive semi finals?

An 8 team this year would only prove who's really 4th...bc it's not Oklahoma. The last few years someone would get to brag they were actually 3rd.

What about a 6 team playoff, with 1 and 2 getting a bye? That would make the semis more competitive.

I'm with BT. a 6 team playoff would work inside the current scheduling model. Most years no more than six teams deserve to be in the playoffs

Great, cant wait to watch a 1 seed really blow out an 8 seed.

We've had, what, only 2 competitive semi finals?

An 8 team this year would only prove who's really 4th...bc it's not Oklahoma. The last few years someone would get to brag they were actually 3rd.

A healthy Alabama belonged imo. That said without tua there was no good option at 4.

Watch Oklahoma LSU and tell me we needed more teams in...

mod there is any problem it is with the selection committee...no way OSU should have jumped LSU (for awhile) and Clemson, but they seem to every year.

and a two loss Alabama is far greater than one loss Oklahoma when you look at who the losses were to. But every year they try to shoehorn an undeserving team from a bad conference.

I contend we should go back to the 2 team NC game and eliminate the 4 team playoff all together. Pick the best 2 teams and play. That is my new mantra, because the 8 team repetitive chant clearly will not end until the left behind get their way.

I contend we should go back to the 2 team NC game and eliminate the 4 team playoff all together. Pick the best 2 teams and play. That is my new mantra, because the 8 team repetitive chant clearly will not end until the left behind get their way.

You really don't understand how revenue and big-time College athletics work LOL that will never happen my friend.

Go to 5 or 6 first.

Either a play-in game between 4/5 for the 4 seed. Or 3/6 and 4/5 play w 1/2 getting a first round bye.

You either reseed for the “final 4” or have a set bracket after the 6 teams are selected with #1 getting to pick which site they want to be at (3/6 or 4/5).

mod there is any problem it is with the selection committee...no way OSU should have jumped LSU (for awhile) and Clemson, but they seem to every year.

and a two loss Alabama is far greater than one loss Oklahoma when you look at who the losses were to. But every year they try to shoehorn an undeserving team from a bad conference.

How would that game have played out if there was a one week layoff instead of 4. Can you imagine basketball playing the most important games of the year without any competitive play for going on a full month. It’s idiotic and absurd and has never made any sense. Hell I remember one year one of the final two teams didn’t play a game for 54 days or some crazy shit like that. There is no rationale for that at all.

Except it's sometimes never that clear cut. This year LSU, OSU, and Clemson were undefeated.

Except it's sometimes never that clear cut. This year LSU, OSU, and Clemson were undefeated.

I could not care less. There are people acting like they have leverage for 6 or even 8 teams when we know only 3 teams deserved a shot at the NC. If we are going to be goofy about this, I will advocate for 2 teams and 1 sad pissed fan base.

Tell me this, what fan base this year legitimately has a gripe about not getting their shot? I will answer. NONE. That puts this whole foolish redundant discussion to rest.

Most schools use that 12th Game to schedule a vastly inferior opponent or FCS school. BAMA had western Carolina this year and Clemson had Wofford!!!!
And for those that remember the regular season was 11 games forever, 12 is the new thing. There's plenty of money to go around now without the 12th regular season game, take out the money side and the 8 team playoff and 11 game season is the perfect setup IMO.

I think a lot of folks are missing the big point.

Expanding the playoffs is not necessarily about more competitive games. Nobody is trying to argue 8 seed vs a 1 would be great football every year, though it would be some years.

It's about trying to make more of something that sells. Bowl games have always been a big money maker, and the playoffs have been huge.

The rational of non-competitive games would get rid of most bowl games, just go scroll through some of the scores from this year and past years...a bunch of stinkers.

If the argument is "well nobody wants to see LSU smash Baylor..." okay, that's fine...nobody wants to see them smash Utah State during the regular season either.

CFB has to find a way to get a couple more programs into the tournament for the overall long term health of the tournament specifically and CFB overall.

They're probably thinking about getting a PAC team in there and being able to get better interest/ratings/ad money from the west coast.

Oklahoma has been fun to watch, but you can only squeeze so much out of that program and state. I'm sure CFB is licking their lips thinking about the mega population center of the eastern Texas triangle and being able to get more out of them. That's a sports consuming and loving part of the world, especially when it comes to football, get a team from there into the playoffs on a regular basis and the conference TV checks will grow, which helps everyone.

I could not care less. There are people acting like they have leverage for 6 or even 8 teams when we know only 3 teams deserved a shot at the NC. If we are going to be goofy about this, I will advocate for 2 teams and 1 sad pissed fan base.

Tell me this, what fan base this year legitimately has a gripe about not getting their shot? I will answer. NONE. That puts this whole foolish redundant discussion to rest.

Who says this is just about the fans. Do you think Oklahoma’s players appreciated the chance to compete instead of being told by the media they weren’t good enough.

You have a great solution, limit to two teams that way Clemson and Alabama can continue to have the inside track on every 5 star and college football can be treated to about 7 Clemson-Alabama national championship games every 10 years. Open up the field a little more where more than just a small handful of schools are given the chance to compete for a national title.

Reactions: BigTyrone

So If LSU drums Clemson the same way they did Oklahoma, then why have a playoff at all?

Look at Clemson's recruiting haul this year and Alabama's annual recruiting haul, do you think our recruiting might tick up a little more if an expanded playoff meant a more realistic opportunity for us to make it in? would the wealth get spread around a little helping there to be a bit more parity if playoffs were expanded? just askin'.

Who says this is just about the fans. Do you think Oklahoma’s players appreciated the chance to compete instead of being told by the media they weren’t good enough.

You have a great solution, limit to two teams that way Clemson and Alabama can continue to have the inside track on every 5 star and college football can be treated to about 7 Clemson-Alabama national championship games every 10 years. Open up the field a little more where more than just a small handful of schools are given the chance to compete for a national title.

I really don’t care whether OU players appreciated the chance or not. The media evidently got it right. They did not deserve to be on the field. Why should we open it to even more schools who do not deserve to be on the field? Where is the logic in that?

Who are the power brokers....TV networks?

Doubt that'll fly bc of reasons like giving up revenue for a home game...this takes away that extra BS game everyone plays and its a revenue generator for the school and alot of times also one for the 1-AA or group of five program that get a check. Besides, it may make things a little more interesting but rarely would we see a team outside the top 3-4 win it.

So If LSU drums Clemson the same way they did Oklahoma, then why have a playoff at all?

Look at Clemson's recruiting haul this year and Alabama's annual recruiting haul, do you think our recruiting might tick up a little more if an expanded playoff meant a more realistic opportunity for us to make it in? would the wealth get spread around a little helping there to be a bit more parity if playoffs were expanded? just askin'.
So should Oregon or Utah make the playoff?

Do one of two things in doing the 8 team playoff. (which i am for), I thought Georgia was better than Oklahoma, Bama was better also.

1. eliminate conference championship (never happen)
2. Just add one more week to the season. (every fan should want this. more football.

Alabama and Georgia (imo) would both beat Oklahoma and possibly OSU or Clemson. Bama lost, but they gave LSU all they wanted, who else can say that ? Iron Bowl loss to Auburn was a game that could have went either way.

My top 8 if i was seeding before what we know

1.LSU
2.OSU
3.Clemson
4.Georgia (beating ND,UF, AU more than mkes up for SC loss)
5.Bama (lost in a classic to LSU / AU in Iron bowl. Nobody gave LSU all they wanted, could have easily won that game.)
6.Oregon (close losses to AU and @ ASU. beat Utah, Wash.
7.Oklahoma (loss at KState was very bad. beat Baylor 2x)
8.Florida may catch hell on this one, but no way I put Baylor in. Lost both big games to Oklahoma and beat no one of relevance. Florida lost to LSU where the game was close and Georgia.

MAYBE flip Bama and Oregon. Oregon lost to ASu and Aubrun (by 2 tds), Bama lost to them in final seconds. they played in Pac12, best win Utah.

Possible arguments over Florida at 8
Penn State -lost to Minnesota and OSU best win Iowa and Michigan
Auburn - Beat Oregon, but lost to LSU and Georgia, same teams Florida lost to, Florida beat Auburn.

Utah - lost to USC and Oregon. best win Arizona State at home.

Wisconsin - lost to Illinois killed them. OSU 2x. Best win Michigan, Iowa at home.

Baylor - lost both times to only ranked team the played OK x2. Best win at home against Iowa St by 2.

I do not like the auto taking a conference champ over a 2nd or 3rd place team just because. I would truly rank Penn State ahead of Oklahoma also. If I had MY way, no one from Big12 would have got in. We knew how bad Oklahoma's defense was and losing to KState should have been a red flag of what was to come.

NON politically correct 8 teams
1.LSU
2.OSU
3.Clemson
4.Georgia
5.Penn State
6.Bama
7.Florida
8.Oregon

LSU / Oregon
OSU / Florida
Clemson / Bama
Georgia / Penn State

Talk about first round matchups. Good lord.

Do one of two things in doing the 8 team playoff. (which i am for), I thought Georgia was better than Oklahoma, Bama was better also.

1. eliminate conference championship (never happen)
2. Just add one more week to the season. (every fan should want this. more football.

Alabama and Georgia (imo) would both beat Oklahoma and possibly OSU or Clemson. Bama lost, but they gave LSU all they wanted, who else can say that ? Iron Bowl loss to Auburn was a game that could have went either way.

My top 8 if i was seeding before what we know

1.LSU
2.OSU
3.Clemson
4.Georgia (beating ND,UF, AU more than mkes up for SC loss)
5.Bama (lost in a classic to LSU / AU in Iron bowl. Nobody gave LSU all they wanted, could have easily won that game.)
6.Oregon (close losses to AU and @ ASU. beat Utah, Wash.
7.Oklahoma (loss at KState was very bad. beat Baylor 2x)
8.Florida may catch hell on this one, but no way I put Baylor in. Lost both big games to Oklahoma and beat no one of relevance. Florida lost to LSU where the game was close and Georgia.

MAYBE flip Bama and Oregon. Oregon lost to ASu and Aubrun (by 2 tds), Bama lost to them in final seconds. they played in Pac12, best win Utah.

Possible arguments over Florida at 8
Penn State -lost to Minnesota and OSU best win Iowa and Michigan
Auburn - Beat Oregon, but lost to LSU and Georgia, same teams Florida lost to, Florida beat Auburn.

Utah - lost to USC and Oregon. best win Arizona State at home.

Wisconsin - lost to Illinois killed them. OSU 2x. Best win Michigan, Iowa at home.

Baylor - lost both times to only ranked team the played OK x2. Best win at home against Iowa St by 2.

I do not like the auto taking a conference champ over a 2nd or 3rd place team just because. I would truly rank Penn State ahead of Oklahoma also. If I had MY way, no one from Big12 would have got in. We knew how bad Oklahoma's defense was and losing to KState should have been a red flag of what was to come.

NON politically correct 8 teams
1.LSU
2.OSU
3.Clemson
4.Georgia
5.Penn State
6.Bama
7.Florida
8.Oregon

LSU / Oregon
OSU / Florida
Clemson / Bama
Georgia / Penn State

Talk about first round matchups. Good lord.

The problem is politics would never allow that. If it goes to a 8 there will be 5 automatic conference champion bids and then three wild cards. And I can almost promise you that there's going to be a lot of talk about making one of those three a non power 5 team which is absurd most seasons

Agree 100. Tell ya what we SHOULD do, let Vegas Handicap teams based on who would be favored over who and put the top 8 in. I guarantee you Bama would be favored over Oregon, Baylor, Utah, or any other team trying to make a claim in the bottom half of the 8. No way Bama should have been ranked 12/13 where ever they where. That is why the bowl games are such a uneventful outcome. One big thing it would pretty much eliminate, teams that just missed out on the playoffs who are used to being there, having players sit out or showing up uninspired for a game they really don't GAF about. More than likely, the teams 9 on down would be happy playing in a nice bowl and would show up and compete, and the teams whom are accustomed to playing for the big prize will still have a shot. Just because a elite team has one bad week or losses a tough / close game, they should not be pushed aside for a team who has not beat anybody worth a flip diving into the deep waters and getting in over their head.

Who are the power brokers....TV networks?

Doubt that'll fly bc of reasons like giving up revenue for a home game...this takes away that extra BS game everyone plays and its a revenue generator for the school and alot of times also one for the 1-AA or group of five program that get a check. Besides, it may make things a little more interesting but rarely would we see a team outside the top 3-4 win it.

I was surprised it took this long for someone to mention that. I'm sure some/most of those FCS and Group of 5 conference schools rely on the checks they get from playing FBS teams to keep their football programs going. How much would it have hurt UT-Martin to lose the paychecks they got from Florida and Kentucky? No telling how many hundreds of thousands of dollars they received for those 2 games.

Here's part of an article about teams playing these paycheck games.

Last season, Charleston Southern lost, 56-6, to Alabama. In 2014, the Buccaneers fell to Georgia, 55-9. In that same season, however, they nearly upset Vanderbilt.

The money gained from these games helped reshape one of the most successful FCS programs.

Playing Colorado in 2013 allowed the school to purchase lights for their field. The matchups with Vanderbilt and Georgia helped pave the way for locker room and stadium updates. The loss to Alabama went to a new playing surface.

The money gained from playing Florida State on Saturday will allow the program to do things it wouldn't otherwise be able to do.

"We realize the chances of winning are very slim to none. This is a money game," Chadwell said. "We need that money to help build our program to where we can be consistent. If we didn't have these games, none of this happens. They talk 'cupcakes' and all that stuff. Most people just don't realize how big they are for schools like us."

By the way, I'm all for expanding the playoffs. If you ever hope to see us have a serious shot at the playoffs then you should be for it to. Who cares if there ends up being a few more blowout games? I mentioned it in another post that there already are blowouts in the semis with only 4 teams. Something like 8 of 12 games were decided by 17 or more points and I believe 4 of them were by around 30 or more.

There are a bunch of blowouts in the NCAA Tournament. Most of those teams never stood a chance of winning. Then you have some surprise teams pull off the upsets. That's what makes the NCAA Tournament the best post season sporting event in this country. Even teams who shouldn't win it all still have a shot. I'd love to be team number 8 playing LSU in the quarterfinals. We might get blown out or we might surprise them. I'd rather have that chance than not at all. It's boring seeing the same 5 or 6 teams competing for 4 spots most every year.

8? It should be 16 teams. We'd made the tourney last year with a Elite 8 spot with the best pass rusher!!!!
Also would've been a dangerous team to win the NIT in football this year! Elite 8 spot also. Hell Kentucky probably could win the NIT.
TOO bad college football is afraid of January Madness. 16 would be awesome with a next 16 NIT? sign me up if 8-4 could get me in the playoffs

Last edited:
ADVERTISEMENT
ADVERTISEMENT