ADVERTISEMENT

Herbstreit on 8-team playoff

In that scenario it would come down to the amount if revenue generated from a week of regular season football vs the revenue from 4 additional playoff games. I would imagine that collectively a 12 game season is more valuable than an 8 team playoff, but who knows.

Are those "planning" this ready to give EVERY school the money lost by reducing the schedule by one game?

Reactions: Ky grandpa
Doubt many AD's will want to give up revenue from 12th game. The Bama's and Clemson's of the world maybe, but nobody else.

Reactions: Blueaz
So, as a UK fan I’m supposed to want to give up a UK game every year except the years we make the 8 team play off? No thanks...

I don’t like that mentality though. It’s a losers mentality. We are headed in the right direction and slipping in at number 8 isn’t that unreasonable. I’d much rather give up the middle tenn state game for a shot at that. Bring it.

Reactions: Comebakatz3
I don’t like that mentality though. It’s a losers mentality. We are headed in the right direction and slipping in at number 8 isn’t that unreasonable. I’d much rather give up the middle tenn state game for a shot at that. Bring it.

For the sake of discussion, I’ll skip past your “loser mentality” provision and say that I’m willing to gamble on being in the final four, and not needing an expansion to eight for the opportunity to see my Cats a guaranteed 12 times every year.

For the sake of discussion, I’ll skip past your “loser mentality” provision and say that I’m willing to gamble on being in the final four, and not needing an expansion to eight for the opportunity to see my Cats a guaranteed 12 times every year.
Since the new playoff format started, 3 teams max have belonged in the playoff. 8 teams would be a joke.

sorry but there is no enjoyment in watching games against schools like tenn. Martin, Murray state, EKU, etc. You lose absolutely nothing by that game being eliminated.

sorry but there is no enjoyment in watching games against schools like tenn. Martin, Murray state, EKU, etc. You lose absolutely nothing by that game being eliminated.
Only Barnhart forces us to schedule those "games". Plenty of BCS teams available instead.

Well in many years through our history, that Middle TN State game is what determined whether we go to a bowl or not.

I think that there needs to be an expansion, but it doesn't need to be at the cost of a scheduled game. As it is, you could have a by week right after the conference championships and then start the playoffs. It wouldn't extend the season or at most add 1 week even with a 16 team format.

For those that claim that this would weeken the other bowls, too late for that, did anyone notice how many players planning to go pro sat out or were/are planning to sit out of the bowls: https://www.fanduel.com/theduel/pos...s-not-playing-in-bowl-games-2019-01dwqp63xf2z

If they were in the playoffs, I bet they would play.

And the argument that only a few of the teams deserved to be there, well, the first year that Clemson won, they got beat by an ok team, and barely escaped another loss, due to a missed field goal; on paper they looked like they didn't deserve it and they won. The next year, Alabama won and they didn't get to play in the conference championships, it easily could have gone against them getting in at all that year.

But really beyond all that, why wouldn't you want to see the top 16 pound on eachother, man, that would be pretty sweet.

But, no, let's not give up a game. If it happens, it happens, but it doesn'y need too, espcially for an 8 team playoff.

The coaching fraternity would hate it. A lot of them rely on that cupcake game to make a bowl and save their job. Claiborne would of went to a bunch more bowl games if he would of had the luxury of playing three cupcakes a year..

I don’t buy that a game would need to be cut to go to 8. Every excuse they give for the number of games I just think about the other divisions. They play all year then go straight into playoffs the next week and play up to 4 weeks to win it all. And they have less money to go for travel and accommodations.

only in D1 football do they get 3 weeks off before the first playoff game then get another 2 before the finals.

I think that there needs to be an expansion, but it doesn't need to be at the cost of a scheduled game. As it is, you could have a by week right after the conference championships and then start the playoffs. It wouldn't extend the season or at most add 1 week even with a 16 team format.

For those that claim that this would weeken the other bowls, too late for that, did anyone notice how many players planning to go pro sat out or were/are planning to sit out of the bowls: https://www.fanduel.com/theduel/pos...s-not-playing-in-bowl-games-2019-01dwqp63xf2z

And the argument that only a few of the teams deserved to be there, well, the first year that Clemson won, they got beat by an ok team, and barely escaped another loss, due to a missed field goal; on paper they looked like they didn't deserve it and they won. The next year, Alabama won and they didn't get to play in the conference championships, it easily could have gone against them getting in at all that year.

But really beyond all that, why wouldn't you want to see the top 16 pound on eachother, man, that would be pretty sweet.

But, no, let's not give up a game. If it happens, it happens, but it doesn'y need too, espcially for an 8 team playoff.

I agree. I don’t know why sacrificing a game would even be an option when there’s a month between the end of the regular season & the bowl games. Just take a week off or start the playoffs the week after conference championships like every other level of football. And, teams who reach the state finals in HS play 15 games in a season. Why is that a problem at the next level?

A big reason I’m for an 8 team playoff is to reward teams who are playing the best at the end of the season instead of essentially being eliminated after 2 games if they get off to a bad start or have a young team that takes time to hit its stride. I’ve seen several teams that lost 2 early games but were playing as well as anybody in November & were 10-2 afterthoughts.

I don’t want to cheapen the regular season but I do think expanding to 8 is the best way to assure they get it right. And, it’s still pretty tough to finish in the top 8 so i don’t think it would really devalue anything. Plus it’s 4 extra high level college football games every year & there’s nothing in sports more exciting than a tournament (playoffs), IMO.

I agree. It actually makes the regular season mean even more, not less, because more spots are in play. The last few weeks of the season would see a bunch of spots both up for grabs and up for seeding movements based on the results. I also think if they added more teams and had to play in more consecutive weeks, it could lead to more opportunity for upset because the turnaround mixed with varying styles of play can make the week to week more chaotic than what it is right now where they go into these games having game planned and researched and practiced everything about the opponent.

Maybe the biggest question to me is do they go with the current formula just expanded to 8 or whether they give each power 5 champion a bid then grab 3 at larges.

Getting rid of the conference championship game and putting a bigger emphasis on SOS would be a step in the right direction. Let the P5 conferences figure out how to come up with a winner. The conference title games are big money so that probably won't happen. You wouldn't have 12 players from Georgia sitting out tonight if they were in a playoff.

Winning 6 to be Bowl eligible in the SEC would be tough.

We lose a tune-up game, a game where we can rest some banged up players, a game's worth of revenue, exposure, and a game where fans can just kinda sit back and watch the score go. Dunno how many times that last one has boosted my morale during a season.

I love watching Kentucky play football. I couldn't care less about others - especially at the cost of a game.

Reactions: Ky grandpa
Only Barnhart forces us to schedule those "games". Plenty of BCS teams available instead.

I don't mind games with EMU, Toledo, etc to balance out the schedule, but I don't see any serious value in playing FCS teams.

I guess it's moot because there is no way ADs will give up that extra revenue.

FCS teams play a 12 game schedule and then have a 16 team playoff. There's no valid reason that the BCS is unable to move to 8 teams.

The coaching fraternity would hate it. A lot of them rely on that cupcake game to make a bowl and save their job. Claiborne would of went to a bunch more bowl games if he would of had the luxury of playing three cupcakes a year..

I don't think FCS teams count as bowl eligibility wins. And we see 5-7 teams getting to bowls anyway because there aren't enough teams with winning records to fill the slots. The bowl system is a relic that doesn't make any sense. It's fun to watch the Rose Bowl etc sure, but how much more engaged would fans be if that were the first round of an 8/16 team playoff instead? The value of the TV contract would skyrocket, and that could be split up between conferences with teams playing in it.

I definitely don't want to give up a game to get to 8. I'd been a proponent of 8 for a whole but after a few years of the 4 team playoff I'm coming around to keeping it small. 2 wasn't enough to get every team in who earned a spot, but there are rarely more than maybe 3 top tier teams. Only downside is that no G5 team will ever have any chance whatsoever to make the playoff but I'm not sure I want to upset the whole system over that.

By power broker, he probably means media conglomerate.

As for the math and economics, I'm sure they've already done it and come out with numbers that show an extended playoff will net better ratings and more money than Citadel week...

Some things I would add to proposed changes for CFB...

1) Starting CFB season 2 weeks earlier and having big kick-off events as CBB does..."Champions Classic" and what not...4 teams, two games at a mega venue, rotating handful programs in and out over the course of a few years.

2) Not so much time between the end of the season and the start of bowl season nor between playoff games.

3) I would work out some sort of conference showdown requirement...SEC v PAC week for example...like CBB does...if that means a team like Bama or Clemson has to play a top tier program in the "Champions Classic" and another P5 in the conference showdown some years...good...if it means every P5 program has to dump a Charleston...good...

4) I would also change how the SEC does its scheduling between east and west. Play a "rival" every year and don't see other programs for 4-5 years. Miss State is not a rival and I'm tired of playing them every year. As a matter of fact, I'd scrap the whole conference schedule and divisions as it's all currently constructed because I'm about tired of playing UT, SC, Florida, Missouri, and UGA every year too.

Reactions: BigTyrone
The reality is the teams more capable of making an 8 team playoff, same as a 4 team, have a lot more NFL caliber players than other teams. Those guys are going to be playing 4 preseason, 16 regular season, plus potentially 3 or 4 playoff games. They may as well sack up now for a championship.

You want to do an 8 team college playoff fine, but having 2 teams play 16 total games, 4 play 15, or 8 play 14 is no reason to cut a game from 95% of CFB

Great, cant wait to watch a 1 seed really blow out an 8 seed.

We've had, what, only 2 competitive semi finals?

An 8 team this year would only prove who's really 4th...bc it's not Oklahoma. The last few years someone would get to brag they were actually 3rd.

Reactions: NavyCat88
ADVERTISEMENT
ADVERTISEMENT