ADVERTISEMENT

Have you ever cried after a loss?

I was 12 in 92 and cried, and cussed, and threw things, called my best friends dad bad names because he called it as we were watching. "With Laetner and 2.4 seconds they can still beat us" remember this quote like it was yesterday.

I was 17 in 97 and took an old softball bat to a tree and did some serious damage. Was a senior in HS and had at least 20 people over watching. I just slipped out and went off.

I was 35 in 2015 and laid silently on the couch for a half hour before my wife asked was I OK.

Last year, at 37, I wanted to drive to Kansas and find Higgins.

Yes, I am a UK fan, and yes I get too involved. And no, I won't stop.

I have an iron 4 poster bed. We lost a late one a while back and I turned the lights off and kicked one of the posts on the way down. Got a little moist.

The bogus foul called on Issel in 1970 in NCAA tourney against Jacksonville I did...I'm still pissed on that call.

Never cried, but had to go outside and get some air on a few that I remember. Age has something to do with these things.

Loss to GTown 1984.
Loss to Middle Tennessee in NCAA. (year?)
Loss to UNC 1977 regional final.
Losing to Wisconsin, even as a man in his 50's.
I was proud of them vs Duke 1992.

Never cry and never get mad. After all, it's just a game and doesn't affect my life, win or lose. And, who am I supposed to get mad at? The refs who're doing their job as well as they can in front of millions watching? The winning team who just did exactly what they're supposed to do? My team who just played it's heart out and failed? No thanks!

92 I was literally in the fetal position on the floor. Crying no, Wailing in anguish, probably.

I've since see us win the National Championship in New Orleans, and the final four in Dallas and Indianapolis - and I have never been as emotional as I was during the '92 game at home on the couch.

My brother worked in Lexington at a large job shop and he said throughout the next day at work people would just stop what they were doing and yell out and expletive , pause for a moment and then go back to doing whatever they were doing

Cried after we lost to UNC in '95.. But I was 11 at the time.. Almost shed a tear last year after the UNC game, when Fox and Adebayo were crying in the locker room. Was good to see their passion for playing together and for UK.

I used to get so worked up after watching the Unforgettables and then the Mashburn teams that followed I'd have to go jog after the games. Full court press and 3 point bombing was an adrenaline rush.

I'm not sure I'll ever have that level of passion again.

ADVERTISEMENT

Latest posts

ADVERTISEMENT