ADVERTISEMENT

Have you ever cried after a loss?

I ain't too proud to say I have ... twice.

First time was in 1992 when we lost to Duke in the NCAA regional final. Cried like a baby after getting over the shock.

I also shed a couple of tears when we lost to Arizona in the 1997 championship game.
No, but in my younger years I hurt my hand a couple of times after some losses.

Cried, along with my brother and cousin, when Laettner hit the shot. I was 8 years old.

Every other big loss, I just sat on the floor in a drunken, depressed mood.

No, but probably came close a few times. The most difficult have probably been:
- 92 Duke
- 15 Wisconsin
Followed by:
- 84 Georgetown
- 93 Michigan
- 97 Arizona
- 03 Marquette
- 11 UConn

I was working the night of the Duke game in '92. I was newly-married to a cat fan, and walked in to the house to a crying husband laying on the living room floor. Our traumatized orange cat was cowering in the corner behind the TV... turns out my husband had been gripping the cat as a lucky talisman of sorts throughout the second half of the game. I've been a cat fat for 26 years now, and I cry when we WIN games.

After the Wisconsin loss. Wanted them to win that title so bad. Should've gone 40-0.

This. I think I roamed the streets homeless with nothing to survive on but alcohol for about 3 months after. Just a really really faint faint memory. I do have the occasional flashback.

First time was in 1992 when we lost to Duke in the NCAA regional final. Cried like a baby after getting over the shock.

I also shed a couple of tears when we lost to Arizona in the 1997 championship game.
My 8 year old daughter did, must be a female thing

A friend who I traveled to Indy with for the Final Four in 2015 didn't speak for two days after the wiscy loss. But no crying.

Cried when we lost to Indiana with Ulis and Murray. I was drunk as shit, but yes, I cried.

As far as getting mad after losses. I had real anger issues in my younger days and could go on forever over things I've broken in anger after a loss or in general. The biggest one that comes to mind is getting so mad when I was younger after a Tournament loss that I punched a wooden closet door and left a dent in it afterwards. No one noticed when it happened but me so when the folks were out of the house a week or so later and I was home alone, I popped the door off its hinges and swapped it out for one in my brother's room at the time so he'd get the blame. It eventually was figured out and had to pay for a new door. I've gotten better over the years about my anger because I got tired of spending the money to fix the things I broke. While I don't want to say any loss is easy to deal with, the gut punch of the Wisconsin loss has really had a lasting effect that you pretty much just come to expect anything now.

I have cried 4-5 times in joy for sure . The only loss that has made the cry was the Wisconsin loss a few years ago in the final 4 and the Marquette loss in 04. That 04 loss was the loss I took the worst. I didn't shower or move from the couch for like 72 hours.

Once.

Duke 1992

I was 11.

I've come close three times but transformed it to an angry tantrum instead: 1997 title game, 2004 UAB and 2015 Wisconsin.

No, but I literally felt I was having a nervous breakdown after losing to Wisconsin.

Reactions: Wall Knight Teague
Also...tears of joy after the Miracle at Mardi Gras and probably in 12 as well but me and Elijah Craig had put in some serious work so on that I don't recall for sure but considering how drunk and happy I was, it would be on the phony side to hand wave that one away.

I'd say at least recycling Indian on that.

My Mom cried tears of Joy after UK cut em down in 1978....and she said she did again in 2012...

You buncha sissies. Men wanting to be like women. Still hope you girls get your prostates checked

giphy.gif

Reactions: CatGotMyTongue
Watched the game in 92 at my aunt’s house. Was too stunned to do anything other than stare at that crappy 19” Magnavox. Was in Syracuse for the 2010 loss to WV and in Indy for the 2015 loss to Wisconsin. The former was harder for me to rationalize than the latter. Felt like 2010 was all but wrapped up with a bow. Why else drive to Syracuse? I’ve never cried over any UK win or loss. Being on the spectrum has its benefits.

Reactions: Wall Knight Teague
Got a little misty eyed when Anderson came in in '97 to shoot the free throws against Minnesota. Too bad he didn't stay in.

Shed a tear when Mel Turpin and Charles Hurt passed and also when Sam broke his leg again.

Sobbed like a little baby when I came home to find my weekly CatsPause had arrived and our recruiting class was Thomas, Perry, Woo and Shag. Thankfully my faith was restored two years later year with the Carter, child rapist, Simms class. Jk

I don't remember ever crying, perhaps when I was nine after losing to UCLA in "75, but I'm not sure.
I've gotten mad quite a few times, usually when I've had too much to drink.

I really don't take it as seriously as I used to. I guess when you get older, and loved ones begin to pass on, you want to just enjoy things, and not let them bring you down.

I'm not going to make fun of fans that cry after losses. People take great pride in the name of Kentucky on the jersey. It's a special thing, and most people cant relate to it.

1975, I was 9 and my Dad allowed me to stay up and watch the Championship game. We had already beaten the #1 Hoosiers and I just knew we were going to put UCLA in their place and send Wooden into retirement a loser, while winning an NCAA Title.

Kevin Grevey and Jimmy Dan Connor were my heroes. I hung on til the end and sobbed like a baby when the final horn sounded.

Last edited:
Cried 97 Arizona ( I was 8) the only time I cried.
Physically exhausted and sad 2005 Michigan State.
Gained true hate for UConn 2011 and 2014 (hate for Higgins)
Unapproachably pissed 2015 Wisconsin (hate for Higgins reaffirmed)
Piss on Higgins and UNCCheats 2017

Reactions: catben
Didn't cry in 92 but i was pretty bummed for a few days. 15 was similar but I was much older and didn't have the luxury of getting depressed at that time.

Awesome thread topic! This is a really good question. The answer is yes and quite a few times. Most anytime when I felt a championship slip away. Let's see if I can recall the times .

1. Loss to Duke in 92
2. Loss to Zona in 97
3. Loss to UConn in 14
4. Loss to WVU in 10
5. Loss to UConn in 11
6. Loss to Wiscy in 15. This is the worst loss that I have experienced as a UK fan. Still not over it.

However, I've also cried tears of joy alot too.

Awesome thread topic! This is a really good question. The answer is yes and quite a few times. Most anytime when I felt a championship slip away. Let's see if I can recall the times .

1. Loss to Duke in 92
2. Loss to Zona in 97
3. Loss to UConn in 14
4. Loss to WVU in 10
5. Loss to UConn in 11
6. Loss to Wiscy in 15. This is the worst loss that I have experienced as a UK fan. Still not over it.

However, I've also cried tears of joy alot too.

ADVERTISEMENT
ADVERTISEMENT