ADVERTISEMENT

Hate to look ahead but a potential Final Four dilemma looms

FiveStarCat

All-American
Oct 4, 2009
Duke v. Louisville in the Final Four is starting to look more and more like a legitimate possibility. Who do we want to win that game?

Louisville would be the easier game and it would be oh so sweet to end their season AGAIN.

Beating Duke on the other hand would end any and all nonsense about Kentucky only being undefeated because the SEC was sub-par (which is a complete joke when you look at their OOC as well). This is especially true since Kentucky would have to get through Arizona or Wisconsin in the Final Four.

I also wonder which match-up would bring better ratings. Has to be Duke right?

I agree that Louisville would be an easier matchup but I would like to see Okafor play against our big guys and Jones have to play against our 6'6" guards. I think we would embarrass them.

I believe UL is playing with house money at the moment and not sure how much longer they can ride it out. They have come further than I thought at the start of the tourney tho.

I honestly don't even know.

Part of me wants Duke. Epic showdown betewen 2 of the best basketball schools of all time for all the marbles.
Part of me wants Louisville. Beat your rival 2 times (again).

I think Duke is the better team. In that sense, you'd kind of want Louisville--who I think we match up very well against. I don't think they can shoot well enough to beat us.

On the other side--it would be another one of those sick at your stomach weeks. Nothing for us to win, only lose.

I don't think they will, BUT IF Louisville goes to the Final 4 and we're still playing, it's a no-brainer on who we root for- the Cards. It would be an easier W and better for the Cats. UK love trumps silly Louisville hate.

I'd rather play Duke even though UofL is the easier game for us.

It doesn't matter anyways because UofL doesn't have the depth to get that far.

Foul trouble to Harrell, Rozier or Snider spells doom for them.

Either one of these three get in foul trouble and UofL is dead.

My bracket had Louisville in the Elite 8 against Virginia with Viriginia winning and moving on, but now that they're out, I could see Louisville winning their region... I think Duke would still win if they met in the Final Four, but I'd rather see Louisville.

Imagine how insane that would be, and imagine how crazy this state would be for a few days.

Originally posted by JasonSpear:
Oklahoma would beat UL. I actually think NC State has a good shot at beating em. Guard play usually rules March and NC State's guards are better than UL's.
While I agree with that, there are not many guards that are better than Terry Rozier if he's playing like he did against Northern Iowa. Big difference between Northern Iowa's athletes and some of the others left in the tournament though.

Oklahoma would beat UL. I actually think NC State has a good shot at beating em. Guard play usually rules March and NC State's guards are better than UL's.

True, but it's Pitino vs. Gottfried.....ugh. I fear NCSU will find a way to lose this game. But I really liked the way they played loose and confident against Villanova. They did manhandle UL in the Yum too, so they know they can win.

I think NCSU and Oklahoma win. That will be a great regional final. Everyone loves Izzo this time of year but OU has better players and Lon Kruger isn't exactly chopped liver in the coaching department. I think OU would beat UL too.

This game has roughly a 10% chance of happening. I would be for Duke. Would much rather see a more up tempo Title game between 2 legitimate basketball teams.

My 4
UK vs. Arizona
Duke vs. Mich. St.

Never rule out Izzo in this tournament, would not surprise me to see a UK vs. Mich. St. final.

Too early for this.

Duke has lost in the Sweet 16 as a 1 seed 5 times since 2000. And as much as people want to bitch about how easy Duke's region is, it's distinctly possible that Gonzaga is a bad matchup for them, far worse than it would be for UK. Whatever you think about Gonzaga, they are without question a good offensive team, and Duke's D is questionable. The Zags also have big bodies to throw at Okafor.

As for UL, they almost lost to UC-Irvine, and the odds of them winning their next three (or even 2) seem pretty slim. If they manage it, fine by me. Closing an epic 40-0 season by beating Louisville would be pretty much putting the final nail in their coffin.

This post was edited on 3/24 3:30 PM by mj2k10

I'd expect Duke to take down Utah but the line is only 4.5 points, sounds like Utah could make it interesting.

The OP asked a simple question. If Dook and Uavel play, I will be pulling for Dook every time.

I have said all year, and repeat again, I want Duke in the NC game.

We are their worst nightmare match-up wise. Okafor struggles against other bigs. Jones and Justice would not have the easy shots against our bigs and getting to the rim on WCS and Towns wouldn't work for them either.

Also, for some reason everyone thinks Duke is the next best thing to us. I think Arizona is a much better team.

Also, how better to celebrate the 20th anniversary of the biggest no call in college basketball history?

I think it would be great to blow out UL in the final game. I don't want to play Duke because I fear the refs.

Originally posted by FiveStarCat:

While I agree with that, there are not many guards that are better than Terry Rozier if he's playing like he did against Northern Iowa. Big difference between Northern Iowa's athletes and some of the others left in the tournament though.
Buddy Hield says hello

The only team I want to avoid is the Clippers. Unless it is a neutral court game, because they are tough to beat at home.

Originally posted by ukfan79:

Buddy Hield says hello

Originally posted by bigbluelou:
The OP asked a simple question. If Dook and Uavel play, I will be pulling for Dook every time.
Agree 100%. Any Cat fan living in Louisville would agree. Loserville's fans are the absolute worst, and it's not even close.

I'd pull for Duke on general principles.

Plus, I'll gladly take all comers, but I'd expect UL to be the tougher game due to their defense.

Also, what Aike said.

No dilemma what so ever. Duke is more of an arch nemesis while Louisville is a hated enemy. I will never pull for the filth that is UL sports.

Was at Buffalo Wild Wings in Louisville this past weekend during the UC Irvine game and it was hilarious to watch the celebration over a high school team. Some had came to the realization that UL and Pitino sucked and were lucky, but most acted like morons the entire time lol. It would have been GREAT to have saw all of the long faces if UC Irvine would have pulled it off.

I don't even want to imagine the officiating during a kentucky Duke title game in this era and time of college basketball. The officials in this game are rogue, and will have absolutely no fear of calling it one sided, because in the end they know it would just be more job security. It's very dangerous to have coach K at his end, playing for his fifth title, against the evil empire. Give me louisville all day. There's no f'ing way that game is called fair. I don't care how many louisville fans a UK fan has to deal with in louisville. You're a UK fan, so handle your business. UK UL would be called evenly. And we would kill them. It's an easy call.

This post was edited on 3/24 12:25 PM by .S&C.

I'd take Louisville in that scenario, just because I think they would present a better chance of us winning. I don't think they are as good as Duke. Either option would be an amazing matchup. An undefeated UK going against Duke for a national championship would be the most hyped game of the decade.

I would be shocked if UL made it to the championship, but I was slightly surprised they won 2 games to even get to this point. Their offense is better without Jones, but they would miss him dearly in a matchup against us IMO.

Louisville. A significantly weaker opponent plus the opportunity to end their season for the third time in the last four years.

GBB!!!

Originally posted by .S&C.:
I don't even want to imagine the officiating during a kentucky Duke title game in this era and time of college basketball. The officials in this game are rogue, and will have absolutely no fear of calling it one sided, because in the end they know it would just be more job security. It's very dangerous to have coach K at his end, playing for his fifth title, against the evil empire. Give me louisville all day. There's no f'ing way that game is called fair. I don't care how many louisville fans a UK fan has to deal with in louisville. You're a UK fan, so handle your business. UK UL would be called evenly. And we would kill them. It's an easy call.

This post was edited on 3/24 12:25 PM by .S&C.
"dangerous to have coach K." Man, you nailed it there. Rack. I would really hate to tare up my living room. FCC.

Duke v. Louisville in the Final Four is starting to look more and more like a legitimate possibility. Who do we want to win that game?
Let's cross that bridge when we get there. One at a time. We will be fine.

If we knock them out of the tournament for the third time in 4 years, out of the Final Four for the 2nd time, winning the title, and handing them their 8th loss in 9 games, it will be sweeter than anything we could hope for. Even beating Duke.

Louisville is a flawed team that will get beat as soon as they play a pretty good opponent. If they somehow manage to make it to the final four, then college basketball is in as bad shape as its critics say. But that bracket is opening up for them. I don't care how the matchup looks for them vs NC State, I have zero faith in Gottfried to not screw that up. Then they play, most likely Michigan State - OU is way too prone to an offensive drought to reliably count on - and that same MSU team lost to Texas Southern.

Duke is one of a handful of teams that can beat UK even if UK plays well. Louisville is not. I really don't want Louisville to make a final four, but they'd already be there if the question is who you root for Duke vs UofL. I say Louisville - they're coach has said repeatedly the last week he wanted to avoid UK in the tournament.....

Although I'm scared to death they might go bananas and beat us, I say bring on the dookies. Lets settle that score once and for all. Much more important on the national scene to win it all and go 40 & 0 by beating dook than Louisville. I hope both of them get beat before they arrive in the FF but if it works out that way, give me Duke.

Of the remaining teams, those I can stomach winning a national championship in the event that we don't are:

Notre Dame
Wichita St.
Wisconsin
Xavier
Arizona
NC State
Oklahoma
Michigan State
Utah
Gonzaga

So, it's my hope and prayer that the Elite Eight looks like this:

Kentucky
Notre Dame/Wichita St. (this one is safe, and obviously I want either to lose immediately)
Wisconsin
Xavier/Arizona
NC State
Oklahoma
Utah
Gonzaga

If that happens, and we lose, I can at least relax. If Duke, Louisville, and North Carolina all make the Final Four I'm going to be sick because if we don't win, well, you see where that's going.

So, as an outsider, can I ask...

If you did make that game but HAD to lose (I know, you likely won't) would it be worse to lose to Louisville, or would it be worse to lose to Duke?

ADVERTISEMENT
ADVERTISEMENT