ADVERTISEMENT

Has Twitter changed their "viewing" policy for non subscribers?

Same. It's much better than any other "social" platform.
FALSE. IG remains supreme for now. Pics and videos of my friends and family doing fun and cool things together without opinions on everything. Twitter is Reddit for politics and anger.

Typically Twitter convo in laymen
Yuhhhuhh
Nuhhuhh
Yuhhuhh
Yuhhuhh
Nuhuhh

Reactions: chroix
The best thing about Musk buying Twitter is getting to see in real-time just how incompetent he truly is. It is astounding how much he has f'd this up.

It’s very likely third party companies are scraping the entirety of the Twitter dataset to train new LLMs and develop products that can compete with chatgpt.

Just like Facebook isn’t going to let third parties scrape its data, and Google is going to keep the entirety of gmail data to itself to train Bard, Musk probably thinks the short term outrage from a bunch of people who can’t get by on a holiday weekend without Twitter is worth shutting down the third parties and either keeping his data for his own training set, or charging third parties for access to the Twitter data to train the models they’re trying to monetize.

Although, it is possible It’sadonedeal is a better business man than the one of richest men in the world who founded some of the most valuable companies in the world, and Musk is in fact incompetent.

Although, it is possible It’sadonedeal is a better business man than the one of richest men in the world who founded some of the most valuable companies in the world, and Musk is in fact incompetent.

With all due respect (lol), what a truly f'n stupid argument. You don't have to be a former college basketball coach to criticize Caveman Calipari's style of play and offensive strategy. You don't have to have been an astronaut to know the Challenger explosion was a pretty big f up either. So yeah, I feel confident in that just because I'm not a billionaire businessman that I can still criticize pretty big f-uppery from Musk. If you think the collective users and advertisers think today's events were the actions of competent leadership I don't know what to tell you unless you're just a closed-minded farty poo poo sniffer. Are you are farty farty poo poo sniffer, Bill Cosby? I think you is.

Atlas Shrugged was a shitty book, BTW.

Oh yeah, your username reminds of that rapist. You may want to change it to something like Carrot Top instead.

The billionaire boot-licking I sometimes see is hilarious. I'll never understand the constant need to take Musk's side as if he's not allowed to be criticized for his decisions. He can be absolutely brilliant in certain areas of life and a dolt in other areas. I have a love/hate thing with Twitter, but it's here to stay and someone making decisions seemingly on a whim that affects millions in real time isn't the smartest and smoothest move in the world. Seems to be one dumb decision after another. Ads now flooding the site, near limitless characters, allowing anyone to become verified when on a social media platform that large verified users should be considered slightly above the troll who just signed up and has two followers, limiting views and access to view for those who aren't logged in, etc.

Last edited:
With all due respect (lol), what a truly f'n stupid argument. You don't have to be a former college basketball coach to criticize Caveman Calipari's style of play and offensive strategy. You don't have to have been an astronaut to know the Challenger explosion was a pretty big f up either. So yeah, I feel confident in that just because I'm not a billionaire businessman that I can still criticize pretty big f-uppery from Musk. If you think the collective users and advertisers think today's events were the actions of competent leadership I don't know what to tell you unless you're just a closed-minded farty poo poo sniffer. Are you are farty farty poo poo sniffer, Bill Cosby? I think you is.

Atlas Shrugged was a shitty book, BTW.

Oh yeah, your username reminds of that rapist. You may want to change it to something like Carrot Top instead.

The business argument was in the first paragraph, you dunce. The paragraph you quoted was just mocking you.

Curious why you think it makes business sense to keep Twitter open to access for any and every start up AI company to use its proprietary data to train their models, rather than Twitter shutting down third party access and finding ways to monetize one of, if not the largest collections of human language and interaction data in the world?

Wouldn’t it make more sense for Twitter to use its own data to develop its own models, then sell the ability for advertisers to target advertisements based on the learnings of the Twitter model?

Hell, don’t you think there would be ways for Musk to comb tweets in real time, then use the data, only Twitter has the ability to access, to take advantage of advanced knowledge of potential market moving events throughout the world?

To me, it seems like a damn good business plan to restrict third party access to Twitter data.

I would like to hear your argument why you think this is a big mistake.

The billionaire boot-licking I sometimes see is hilarious. I'll never understand the constant need to take Musk's side as if he's not allowed to be criticized for his decisions. He can be absolutely brilliant in certain areas of life and a dolt in other areas. I have a love/hate thing with Twitter, but it's here to stay and someone making decisions seemingly on a whim that affects millions in real time isn't the smartest and smoothest move in the world. Seems to be one dumb decision after another. Ads now flooding the site, near limitless characters, allowing anyone to become verified when on a social media platform that large verified users should be considered slightly above the troll who just signed up and has two followers, limiting views and access to view for those who aren't logged in, etc.
IT just blows my mind that a website that relies heavily on ads for revenue that he decides to limit the ability for people to use the website, thus negating the effectiveness of ads. This guy is a ****ing dumbass.

Imagine going to the grocery store and the store having a 15-minute limit on how long you can be there. Can't get everything you need or want within 15 minutes? Well try again tomorrow!

And it's a bummer for someone like me who doesn't want to sign up yet I still get news and entertainment value out of the platform by scrolling. There's a local met who constantly updates his feed when severe weather hits which is incredibly useful...and I wasn't able to see his tweets yesterday as storms were rolling in. Same if god forbid another mass shooting occurs or a traffic emergency happens. I know some love new Twitter because FREEDOM or something. Doesn't change the fact that Elon is treating the platform like it's his own personal toy and every time he tinkers with it, he seems to make it worse.

IT just blows my mind that a website that relies heavily on ads for revenue that he decides to limit the ability for people to use the website, thus negating the effectiveness of ads. This guy is a ****ing dumbass.

Imagine going to the grocery store and the store having a 15-minute limit on how long you can be there. Can't get everything you need or want within 15 minutes? Well try again tomorrow!

But, but what about the guy named after a rapist posting in this topic that the unannounced caps users started receiving limiting the ability of the vast majority of their users to use the website, with no advance notice given, and then some tweeted ambiguous announcement a few hours later from Musk, which was then quickly changed later that day, is just stunningly competent keen business sense and that we should bow down to our billionaire overlord and praise his name?

How dare you criticize him. What's your resume? How many billion dollar businesses have you run? ......

Elon Musk is a fraud, scam artist and piece of shit. Not gonna pay a billionaire for views.
It's a who's-who of this site's brain-dead leftists liking this post. Lol.

So salty they lost their complete communist death trap control over social media's major platforms. 😩🤧

Viva Elon. When he releases the smart TV app for Twitter, I'll finally break down and register. That will be a revolutionary app. A must have.

So salty they lost their complete communist death trap control over social media's major platforms. 😩🤧

Viva Elon. When he releases the smart TV app for Twitter, I'll finally break down and register. That will be a revolutionary app. A must have.
Why would you want Twitter on your TV?

you think the collective users and advertisers think today's events were the actions of competent leadership I don't know what to tell you unless you're just a closed-minded farty poo poo sniffer. Are you are farty farty poo poo sniffer, Bill Cosby? I think you is.

People were temporarily limited to reading 800 tweets per day. 800 is a massive number when you think about it which limited very very few actual humans. The 5k for verified accounts was way beyond what an actual human would read in a day.

The temporary move was just as he stated: to limit massive data scraping. Good for him.

Hell, don’t you think there would be ways for Musk to comb tweets in real time, then use the data, only Twitter has the ability to access, to take advantage of advanced knowledge of potential market moving events throughout the world?

Iirc when he massively overpaid for Twitter it was posited by some that premium was for access to the massive data trove for musk's ai engine. That makes total sense and I believe they're correct.

I agree at the very least he shouldn't let these runaway ais learn for free. As one of the few tech guys preaching ai caution, hopefully he's just restricting it altogether.

Reactions: IdaCat
People were temporarily limited to reading 800 tweets per day. 800 is a massive number when you think about it which limited very very few actual humans. The 5k for verified accounts was way beyond what an actual human would read in a day.

The temporary move was just as he stated: to limit massive data scraping. Good for him.

Iirc when he massively overpaid for Twitter it was posited by some that premium was for access to the massive data trove for musk's ai engine. That makes total sense and I believe they're correct.

I agree at the very least he shouldn't let these runaway ais learn for free. As one of the few tech guys preaching ai caution, hopefully he's just restricting it altogether.
He should take a look in the mirror with AI caution given how bad Tesla's self-driving feature is.

I don’t know. On the one hand it’s 2023, LLMs are off to the races, proprietary datasets are more valuable than the ever and Musk has talked about creating the everything app in the past.

On the other hand, business savants like wildcatboston1984 and itsadonedeal may be correct that advertisers are going to flee the platform when the users who are too broke to pay $8 per month are temporarily restricted from viewing 800+ tweets in a day.

So I don’t know. Musk doesn’t know shit about business, which is pretty obvious reading the posts here. Then you see TSLA is up 8% today, as of this post, so I don’t really know what to think.

Just like oppositions to the war in Ukraine isn’t an endorsement of Putin, Twitter finally limiting access to its data isn’t a defense of all things Musk.

I just find it amusing that certain posters attack the business acumen of a guy who has founded and led multiple of the most valuable companies on the planet.

Not trying to be an asshole, but do you actually use Twitter and know how it works? Because it sounds like you don't.

Do you know how quickly you can scroll through tweets on your timeline? You could scroll past 600 tweets in like 20 minutes.

You're not clicking on each individual tweet and just counting that as one. You literally don't even have to look at what you're scrolling past, which most people end up doing to get to the tweets/posts they actually want to see. Most people who use Twitter follow hundreds of accounts. There were tons of people who were already locked out with a rate limit reached while they were having their morning coffee and there was no announcement until 1 p.m., which was then quickly changed. Your assertion that this affected very very few people is 100% categorically incorrect.

Not trying to be an asshole, but do you actually use Twitter and know how it works? Because it sounds like you don't.

Do you know how quickly you can scroll through tweets on your timeline? You could scroll past 600 tweets in like 20 minutes.

You're not clicking on each individual tweet and just counting that as one. You literally don't even have to look at what you're scrolling past, which most people end up doing to get to the tweets/posts they actually want to see. Most people who use Twitter follow hundreds of accounts. There were tons of people who were already locked out with a rate limit reached while they were having their morning coffee and there was no announcement until 1 p.m., which was then quickly changed. Your assertion that this affected very very few people is 100% categorically incorrect.

I've been on it for over ten years. Also I understand how data or screen scraping works and why someone wants to do it.

If you're scrolling through 800 tweets a day and still want more, that's probably a user that needs to evaluate their daily life.

Even so, I check Twitter several times a day, follow thousands of people, and I never hit the limit. So imo it was much ado about nothing other than another opportunity for lemmings to jump on the outrage train.

Reactions: Caveman Catfan
Gotcha. Just wanted to make sure you were just wrong, and not also ignorant on the subject.

Acting like the limits affected "very very few actual humans" as you put it is and was completely wrong. The morning it started happening, there were already thousands and thousands of users reporting issues. Who knows how many folks just walked away for the day or didn't actually take the time to report it.

But yeah, I can't believe people are criticizing a social media platform, whose whole basis of making money is keeping people logged on and engaged for as long as possible, with the position of "yeah, just fake outrage, those people need to log off, get outside and get a life." Brilliant business strat lol.

We are trying to explain to you Twitter has historically been unprofitable, needs to update its “whole basis” for making money and has an unbelievable opportunity to monetize its data or use that data to develop new products.

Although, maybe you’re right and Musk should double down on the business strategies that have historically lost money.

You are all addicted to Twitter. You are going to keep using it. You aren’t paying for it which means you are the product. Musk can either monetize you or let third parties access you for free. Seems like a pretty easy choice.

Not sure man. The first day he implemented the limit, my feed was essentially stopped. At no point did I read 600 posts. Not even sure I read 100. However, yesterday (7/2) seemed like it was back to normal. At no point did I get the stupid "Rate limit..." message. IDK.

Gotcha. Just wanted to make sure you were just wrong, and not also ignorant on the subject.

Acting like the limits affected "very very few actual humans" as you put it is and was completely wrong. The morning it started happening, there were already thousands and thousands of users reporting issues. Who knows how many folks just walked away for the day or didn't actually take the time to report it.

But yeah, I can't believe people are criticizing a social media platform, whose whole basis of making money is keeping people logged on and engaged for as long as possible, with the position of "yeah, just fake outrage, those people need to log off, get outside and get a life." Brilliant business strat lol.

If limited to reading 800 tweets a day is an issue for the person, they certainly aren't going to stop using the product.

Advertisers won't care because the vast majority of users with more tweets "read" in a day will be bots and not real views anyway. At least now the product has a much more accurate user base to sell to advertisers instead of the massive bot bloat it had at the time of purchase.

We will see if it wins or not as a business decision. As a tech decision, it's a no brainer and I'm glad he's locking out ai. Hopefully for good.

Reactions: Caveman Catfan
Not sure man. The first day he implemented the limit, my feed was essentially stopped. At no point did I read 600 posts. Not even sure I read 100. However, yesterday (7/2) seemed like it was back to normal. At no point did I get the stupid "Rate limit..." message. IDK.

Interesting. I saw no difference. I went a long period of time without checking and used the option that sent me to the top. That probably scanned 300-400 tweets assuming they counted as "read".

For some content creators, I think they saw the news, assumed the worst, and just stopped tweeting. Just a guess

Wouldn’t surprise me if Threads ends up being the nail in the coffin for Twitter. Threads has grown by several factors faster than any other social media site that has ever existed.

And one of the biggest drawbacks to the other startup Twitter competitors was that a lot of the big sports accounts hadn’t joined anything else yet. But quite a lot of them got on there with 48 hours and started posting the same content they post to Twitter.

Last edited:
Threads works better and loads faster than Twitter even when they are adding over a million users an hour. Nobody is going to want Elon’s crap dataset of OF girl replies, Elon fanbois and weird crypto spam.

Reactions: wildcatsboston1984

I lean to the right politically—but the Elon love is a really odd hill to die on.

I lean to the right politically—but the Elon love is a really odd hill to die on.
Don't love him at all. Love what he's done to twitter very much.

If you think all the leftist's caterwauling over Twitter going pro free speech and anti-fascist isn't a big deal, you're not really tuned into the culture. (Or you're a downplaying butthurt leftist yourself.)

Exact reason why they're all fawning over Zuck the Cuck's new Threads app. They're so desperate to hurt Elon/Twitter it's hilarious.

If you think all the leftist's caterwauling over Twitter going pro free speech and anti-fascist isn't a big deal, you're not really tuned into the culture. (Or you're a downplaying butthurt leftist yourself.)

Exact reason why they're all fawning over Zuck the Cuck's new Threads app. They're so desperate to hurt Elon/Twitter it's hilarious.
You mean the same Twitter that complies with more government requests for censorship than before Elon Musk's takeover, including that of China? That's your idea of free speech?

Last edited:
  • Haha
Reactions: chroix and GeraldV

Sheesh, so you're clearly agenda-driven.

Again, I'm just speaking as someone who isn't signed up but did enjoy scrolling and reading. For me, as well as a lot of users it seems, Elon has made the platform worse. Limiting views is a dumb idea. Not allowing access for those who aren't signed in or signed up is a dumb idea (the entire site itself is now effectively blocked). The constant ads when scrolling is a dumb idea. Twitter is no longer "aesthetically pleasing" when there's the same annoying ad every few scrolls. It resembles some shady email scam.

To casual users, I think those things matter. Not the rant you posted. I assume you think it's stupid that some dislike Elon now, yet you're doing the same thing with the "Zuck the Cuck" whatever the hell that means nonsense. I'd hoped we'd be smart enough to not take sides when it comes to these awkward billionaires. Twitter isn't "in shambles" but as someone who did read it daily, it's just not as good as it used to be.

Reactions: chroix and GeraldV
Sheesh, so you're clearly agenda-driven.

Again, I'm just speaking as someone who isn't signed up but did enjoy scrolling and reading. For me, as well as a lot of users it seems, Elon has made the platform worse. Limiting views is a dumb idea. Not allowing access for those who aren't signed in or signed up is a dumb idea (the entire site itself is now effectively blocked). The constant ads when scrolling is a dumb idea. Twitter is no longer "aesthetically pleasing" when there's the same annoying ad every few scrolls. It resembles some shady email scam.

To casual users, I think those things matter. Not the rant you posted. I assume you think it's stupid that some dislike Elon now, yet you're doing the same thing with the "Zuck the Cuck" whatever the hell that means nonsense. I'd hoped we'd be smart enough to not take sides when it comes to these awkward billionaires. Twitter isn't "in shambles" but as someone who did read it daily, it's just not as good as it used to be.
And the ads are almost always for shitty, low-quality junk that was probably made by slaves to sell in flea markets, eBay, Wish.com, and Dollar Tree.

Last edited:

You just said “Viva Elon”. How is that not an expression of love. Again, I lean conservative, but I don’t get the tired cliches.

ADVERTISEMENT
ADVERTISEMENT