ADVERTISEMENT

GYERO

Status
Not open for further replies.
Look I am in the midst of a sleepless and stressful work week with a baby who’s both teething and dealing with her first cold - which she passed along to mom and dad, so I’m not my best today.

But I just want to talk UK basketball a bit and you can’t do that these days without people immediately shitting on the conversation or bringing race culture wars into things (HOB). It’s miserable.

I am sorry for being mean, Anth.

In case you haven’t been paying attention, college basketball has enacted this one-time transfer rule and there are 1,500 transfers on the market. Our roster isn’t set and neither is anyone else’s.

I just looked it up on Google, and it appears you’re correct. Thanks bro!!!

(FYI: none of these dudes makes me think we’ve got a Final Four team next season. So get F’d.)

On April 15 you guys in here crying over a sport that has 6 months to figure itself out.

Meanwhile the NFL Draft is 2 weeks away, the Derby is upon us, and the NBA Playoffs should now carry us to football season.

Also I finally met with my architects yesterday. F’ing A, about time someone competent takes this part of my plan serious. Structural, Architectural and MEP was involved as well as an attorney that WANTS to help set us up to expand!

LFG!!!!!!!!!

-I had a take on the point guards. Neither are ready to step in and be the guy next year at UK. Pretty simple. Both are multi year projected players and would be fantastic coming in on a multi year plan behind either an elite talent or seasoned vet. We have neither. So we're going to be playing that game until January hoping one of them figures it out. Sorry, but after the trajectory we've been on it's going to take more than that to get me excited.

-We're losing Askew, Boston, Jackson, Fletcher, Clarke, Sarr, probably Mintz and Brooks. Lol. Only 2 of which probably should've left. Cal hasn't changed. There isn't some new potion. That's what 14 or 15 underclassmen leaving a basketball program in 2 seasons? That's a damn joke.

-Guys we've missed on vs their back up plan:
#6 Salis vs #30 Washington
#1 Cunnigham vs #32 Askew
#1 Wiseman, #2 Edwards, #3 Stewart, #13 Dante vs #10 Maxey #11 Whitney #24 Brooks #33 Juzang 🤣
#2 Reddish, #4 Bol #5 Zion vs #9 Montgomery, #12 Hagans, #13 Johnson, #22 Quick #37 Herro
#1 Bagley 3 Bomba 23 Young vs 10 Diallo, #11 Knox, #12 Vando 26 Green 31 Shai

Pretty easy to see what's happening. We're pretending we got the elite guys when we actually got really nice multi year players.

We all thought SGA was a multi year guy who might not be ready to take over at point. He exceeded expectations. I believe Hickman, who is rated similarly to SGA, will do the same.

Young was good but what's that have do with SGA outplaying his ranking? I'm just giving a recent example of why I'm optimistic about Hickman and/or Washington.

Young was good but what's that have do with SGA outplaying his ranking? I'm just giving a recent example of why I'm optimistic about Hickman and/or Washington.
...and I'm explaining why I'm pissy about backup plans. They typically don't work.

Green was our backup plan for Young, not Shai. Didn't work.

2 of the 3 we missed on were All Americans and with either we have a Final Four. Instead we had a Diallo turn into a head case, Quade, and Vando sit out most of the season. But man, losing to KState in the S16 was sure fun to watch.

We offered Hickman a year ago, Cal clearly liked him.

Washington is the fastest riser in the class off a great Sr year, and seems very likely to be 5*. Givony, Vecinie, Bossi, and nearly everyone else are raving about him after his run through Nationals against the best players & teams -- and Baylor, Kansas, etc want him bad.

I don't recall anyone pretending they are Wall or Fox - that's just you being a bitch and making shit up to fit your mood.

The difference, hopefully, next year is that we will have a team with several experienced and proven good players, and won't be relying on a PG to be THE MAN, rather one who is actually a point guard who can distribute, make some shots, and you know, be a POINT GUARD.

Our roster isn't finished, and we may not even get Washington. But if we did, and got Mintz back and/or another transfer, I'd be pretty pleased with the roster overall.

Still hoping for Carr, btw.

We offered Hickman a year ago, Cal clearly liked him.

Washington is the fastest riser in the class off a great Sr year, and seems very likely to be 5*. Givony, Vecinie, Bossi, and nearly everyone else are raving about him after his run through Nationals against the best players & teams -- and Baylor, Kansas, etc want him bad.

I don't recall anyone pretending they are Wall or Fox. The difference, hopefully, next year is that we will have a team with several experienced and proven good players, and won't be relying on a PG to be THE MAN, rather one who is actually a point guard who can distribute, make some shots, and you know, be a POINT GUARD.

Our roster isn't finished, and we may not even get Washington. But if we did, and got Mintz back and/or another transfer, I'd be pretty pleased with the roster overall.
Correct, that's why I didn't list him.

Get Mintz back or Carr as a transfer and I agree. I'm happy with the lineup. Roll into the season with Hickman/Washington(?) and it's going to be another grind.

Reactions: B.B.d.K.
On April 15 you guys in here crying over a sport that has 6 months to figure itself out.

Meanwhile the NFL Draft is 2 weeks away, the Derby is upon us, and the NBA Playoffs should now carry us to football season.

Also I finally met with my architects yesterday. F’ing A, about time someone competent takes this part of my plan serious. Structural, Architectural and MEP was involved as well as an attorney that WANTS to help set us up to expand!

LFG!!!!!!!!!
If your tasting room isn’t a replica cabin inside of a replica of the replica cabin of Lincoln’s birthplace cabin inside of a replica of the monument around that replica cabin : you’ve missed a real opportunity, IMO.

Reactions: 80 Proof
I don't think it will be a grind because they'll be surrounded by veterans. They don't have to shoulder all of the weight. Last year everyone was brand new, very similar to 2018, thus the struggle. Next year won't be that way.

My optimism is eternal but not always trustworthy. See Shagari. But I feel it's needed to counterattack the constant doom and gloom.

Reactions: jayroon
I’ve been ready to book hotels for the final four every season including last one. I am not confident in our current roster or our coach’s ability to manage it. Collins and Oscar are your 4/5 combo and our starting small forward is going to be Jacob Toppin.

Last edited:
  • Sad
Reactions: WayneDougan
I don't think it will be a grind because they'll be surrounded by veterans. They don't have to shoulder all of the weight. Last year everyone was brand new, very similar to 2018, thus the struggle. Next year won't be that way.
It's been a grind every year since '17, buddy. I'm not being negative to be negative. I'm just going off history.

Can Toppin improve on his outside shot enough to keep teams from packing the lane? His midrange was solid with nice form.

I am Confident in his ability to defend most 3s he will be up against. His effort seems to always be there.

IMO he is the key to next years team. His minutes are unquestionably going to be spent majority at the three.

Reactions: BigBadBlueDaddy
So, hypothetically, let's say we're bad and miss the tournament again. No way Cal can stay after that right?

Last season most definitely will cause most of us to refrain from blind optimism moving forward.

However, I'm not yet ready to move on to blind pessimism as if we are being coached by Billy effing Clyde.

Reactions: Col. Angus
Out of 11 full seasons, he's made the regional final 7 times. I wouldn't call it blind optimism.
By "blind optimism" I mean I can no longer assume Cal will avoid one of his teams relying on substandard talent. Our lack of guard talent, especially at PG seemed implausible before this past season.

What bothered me is that not only did it happen, but more the fact that he seemed to have ZERO ability to see it coming.

Status
Not open for further replies.
ADVERTISEMENT
ADVERTISEMENT