ADVERTISEMENT

GYERO

Status
Not open for further replies.
Was up late from the excitement of the game. I’ve read for months now the roster complaints and Reeds minutes are truly an enigma.

It’s not all bad either with several games 34-38 minutes, but with that said and knowing that’s been necessary how in the world do I see games like @USC with only 14 minutes? Also I know it was earlier but KU only 16 minutes.

He does average 28:30 a game on the whole season and has a few lows that drag that average down, but then 45 minutes @A&M and a few 38’s too.

I’d love any kind of real explanation on that.

Like yea I’m just an old school feel of the game coach that gets lost in the moment sometimes. I could accept that.

Knowing I’d get some kind of dramatic nonsense “28 minutes off the bench, what!, you people are crazy!”

Last edited:

kermit-the-frog-lotion.gif

-well done, reminded me of the Jay-Z line,

I’m not a businessman,
I’m a business, man.

-Shane Gillis SNL was worth the watch as always, haven’t watched a whole episode like that in forever.

Caught part of 21 Savage on there, yikes, brutal. Never got the appeal of live rap.

-Listening to the postgame now, should be good.

Ugo has had a couple of nice games in SEC play, but has been nearly unplayable the last 2 or 3. Gave us absolutely nothing last night. -23, yikes.

Z, on the other hand, is trending up. The offense looks so much better with him on the court, and he proved last night he can play in a physical game. Honestly looks better on defense than Ugo as well. I was pissed at the O/D subbing with those two at the end of the game. Z was totally winded though.

Wagner had his best game in over a month. If he gets back on track, that's huge for us, because he's getting minutes regardless.

This team is close. Should have had it all together a month or two earlier, but for injuries and Cal dicking around with lineups. Maybe he'll get it all figured out and have them peaking at the right time. Still don't trust him to win a tight one, even though he finally got one.

Overall, that may have been our best win. Mid week, tough SEC West road environment, opponent allowed to play insanely physical, little guard hitting obscene 3s in our faces, all the makings of an L that we've seen a hundred times. Cats fought through it.

The last 1:00 of that game last night was a perfect example of our season all year long. We did basically everything wrong on D, couldn’t have done a worse job all the way around, and did everything right, from inbounds plays to having the ball in the right players hands, on O.

Reactions: Col. Angus
I will fault Cal for a lot of things but Hubbard going insane from the 3 line with guys in his face is not one of them. Miss State would have beaten about every team in the country last night (maybe all of them) and certainly would have pulled it out late the way Hubbard went off but could not against this team. It has to be a balls to the wall effort in March. Put the best lineup out there to start and ride them with a few breathers and substitutions the entire game and let the best backcourt and shooting tandem in the country cook.

I’m just hoping Cal is saving the legs of these shooters for March. No more excuses that they had dead legs.

Need these guards to own March.
The guards will for damn sure. They hit clutch FT’s, and make shots from all over the floor. We just need a decent 5 between the three players available. If we get that we will make our deep run.

They also celebrate other teammates success at a level we haven’t seen around here in awhile. The cake is really close to baking.

Turned down setting up at multiple big card shows April 6th-8th for one reason. Plan on being in Phoenix to watch the Cats in the FF.

Last edited:
Cal *not* calling a timeout when we inbounded the ball to Reed with 8 seconds left is the best coaching decision of the game. See my many rants about last second shots in college basketball, and this was the exact opposite.
Actually *pushes up glasses*, we didn't inbound the ball to Reed. He was screaming and clapping for the ball all the way down the court. I think all of us were probably screaming along with him while DJ tried to drive to the basket. Credit to DJ though. He probably did exactly what he should have done: try to drive for an easy layup, and if you get cut off, give it to Reed.

Agree Cal made the right call not to stop the action.

Last edited:
* Ravi Moss sure did crush it on the pregame show as a last minute fill in.

Ravi = "Is whatchamicallit gonna play tonight?"
Ryan = "Tre Mitchell?"
Ravi = "Yeah, Tre."

Also dropped the "it doesn't matter who starts the game, it matters who finishes" line.

* The 5 is obviously our biggest weakness, but that's probably the best weak spot you can have in today's game. And although none of our 3 bigs is consistently reliable, at least we've got 3 of 'em. And they all give you a completely different look.

* There's a HUGE difference between being a great player and being a great player than can put a team on his back, and legit singlehandedly win a game. It's absolutely amazing that we have TWO of those players (Reed and Rob).

And fyi, they're both benchwarmers.

* EDIT: inbounded the ball to DJ, and got it to Reed.

At any rate, the final shot from Reed wasn't your typical hero ball/step back 3. It was just a regular, up tempo play that was very well within the flow of the game. That beats anything Cal (or any other coach) can draw up times infinity.

* Big Z is just always smiling. Even when he got run over and took the charge last night, he got up with that big, goofy, dorky white boy overbite grin. His emotions are like watching a little kid. Poor guy is so behind physically, but he just loves playing and you can see he's so skilled. It's going to be fun as hell watching his upside.

I fear #13 frosh guard… dude missed every shot against us in the first game. He can go off tonight.
^ the reals. Little man almost willed that team of lunks to a win.

I like my team.

On the last possession, with a tie, you can see MSU back off on the drive as to not Foul. I love him with the ball in Reed’s hands in end-game situation- cold-blooded assassin.

Cal’s postgame comments for the first time didn’t sound trite and played out. I think he knows what needs to be done. Let us pray he uses analytics rather than his gut.

March is in two (2) days.

Still have chills. Much needed mental reinvestment.

Last edited:
I wanted a foul if it came down to us up 3, but when Reed was guarding the big guy who wanted no part of the ball I was good with time ticking away too. Hubbard chucked it up the split second he got it and we had no chance really to foul him so credit due on hitting a ridiculous shot.

That’s not bad coaching there.

Reactions: Kooky Kats
What an awesome game last night.

Definitely better than the USWNT. :):):)

Now let's get serious. Awesome win, and let's enjoy it, but if this team is built for March, then it is time to start acting that way. Enough of not starting your 5 best players at the start of each half Cal. ENOUGH!!!
At the 14:22 mark we were down 14-3. At the 17:40 mark of the second half we were outscored 9-4. Not starting your best players is going to end our season. Mark my words.

With that said, I am fine with DJ and Edwards and UGO and Bradshaw getting minutes, but none of them should be starting from here on out. That experiment has us at 8 losses. They all deserve minutes and should get them, but the starting lineup that includes DJ and Edwards consistently has us behind at the under 16 timeout. Enough!!

Reed is the best point guard on the team and would be starting at every other school in the country. Probably the same can be said for Dilly and Big Z. Those 3 and Reeves should start every half and play unless tired or injured or in foul trouble.

DJ not wanting to give the ball to Reed at the end was peak selfish ball. I think he has the most on his mind, but I commend him for playing tough D 100% of the time.

And Karma for saying not to get on the floor when the game was over Miss St. Your fans definitely listened...LMAO

Reactions: grantbob
With that said, I am fine with DJ and Edwards and UGO and Bradshaw getting minutes, but none of them should be starting from here on out. That experiment has us at 8 losses.

False.

Not that I’m saying you are wrong in wanting Reed to start over DJ, but DJ has been out 4 of our 8 losses.

Only the USC loss that he missed wasn’t close, so I’d guess had he played maybe we don’t lose the other 3 games.

False.

Not that I’m saying you are wrong in wanting Reed to start over DJ, but DJ has been out 4 of our 8 losses.

Only the USC loss that he missed wasn’t close, so I’d guess had he played maybe we don’t lose the other 3 games.
Ok. 8 out of 8, 4 out of 8. 2 out of 8. Whatever. The starting lineup Cal consistently starts each half with usually has UK behind when the initial subs come in the game. All I am saying is you cannot keep spotting teams the lead in each half until you bring in guys to get you back in it.

In the first 5:40 of the first half and the first 2:20 of the second half we were outscored 23-7. And that has happened many times this season. I don't care what Ravi Moss says, but it does seem to matter who starts.

And hell, DJ and Edwards are starting to grow on me, especially when I see them play tough defense. But the start of halves and falling behind will concern me until the season is over.

IMG-5108.jpg

I didn’t include this in my analytics post last week because I didn’t want to be mean, but the data would suggest the only thing better for us than Sheppard being on the court is Wagner being off it.

(Note: I don’t actually believe this and it’s probably just that those two don’t play together much among other things, but it is interesting)

Here’s the +/- data, which is a bit more charitable to DJ at least, and shows further how hilariously better we are with Sheppard:

IMG-5109.jpg

Last edited:
Status
Not open for further replies.
ADVERTISEMENT
ADVERTISEMENT