ADVERTISEMENT

UK took 24 threes/game last year. Cody Fueger said they want 35 threes/game this year.

So basically most people on this site are happy we are going to play like a mid major.
Generally-speaking, teams that shoot a high volume of threes are not the successful, familiar names. Look at team stats for three-point attempts per game.

So basically most people on this site are happy we are going to play like a mid major.
In fairness to Pope, I feel like the "35 threes a game" thing is merely a stop gap system based on necessity. We weren't able to get in deep in the recruiting game due to the situation Cal left us with.

That said, I think Pope's system will continue to feature an offense predicated on three point shooting, but as recruiting intensifies, so too will our dependency on threes. In time, I think his teams will take 25 to 28 a game, as opposed to 30 to 35.

Additionally, the three point system works in the NBA. College coaches have been slower to adopt this system because elite shooting isn't as prevalent on the college level across entire rosters. With the portal, coaches like Pope can be more selective in adding elite shooting at multiple positions to build their rosters.

It's a new day and age on so many levels - style of play, portal recruiting, emulating NBA spacing.

Comparing Pope's system to the past is not exactly the fairest of comparisons, given the changing landscape of the sport in general.

Reactions: ukfan041
In fairness to Pope, I feel like the "35 threes a game" thing is merely a stop gap system based on necessity. We weren't able to get in deep in the recruiting game due to the situation Cal left us with.

That said, I think Pope's system will continue to feature an offense predicated on three point shooting, but as recruiting intensifies, so too will our dependency on threes. In time, I think his teams will take 25 to 28 a game, as opposed to 30 to 35.

Additionally, the three point system works in the NBA. College coaches have been slower to adopt this system because elite shooting isn't as prevalent on the college level across entire rosters. With the portal, coaches like Pope can be more selective in adding elite shooting at multiple positions to build their rosters.

It's a new day and age on so many levels - style of play, portal recruiting, emulating NBA spacing.

Comparing Pope's system to the past is not exactly the fairest of comparisons, given the changing landscape of the sport in general.
Fair enough

This board is obsessed with the number of 3s we take. I dont know why people think it's the end all be all of good offense, but it's such narrow minded thinking.

Not a single team in the top 10 of offensive efficiency took 30+ 3s per game last year. Eight of the top ten took less than 25 per game.
Yep.. People in football should be happy with fg's and not worry about td's. That extra point isnt' that big of deal... LOL.

It's not 1984 anymore man. The 3 changed the game in the 90's and it only took 30 years for coaches to realize it.

Reactions: RunninRichie
Generally-speaking, teams that shoot a high volume of threes are not the successful, familiar names. Look at team stats for three-point attempts per game.

Generally speaking mid majors can't recruit enough quality shooter to make a living playing like that. They can have some good games but the bad will pop up. If you have enough quality shooters then even a bad shooting night will allow you to beat an avg opponent.

Imagine being a man pretending to be a woman on a message board. Imagine crying about player’s loyalty then saying players are dead to you when they leave. LOL at the joke you are fake ass weirdo.

STOP PRETENDING TO BE WOMMAN AND CATFISHING RAFTARDS!
I mean troll or not……he ain’t wrong……

To be fair to Pope and wanting 35 3’s, I have never seen a team average that many, however I have also never seen an entire team shoot north of 40% either while running a 5 out offense. This is going to be a great year. Every game is gonna be something new to see and learn.

Taking more 3's isn't about chucking. It's about shot quality.

Think exchanging long 2's from EJ Montgomery for 3 point attempts. More 3's doesn't entail less dunks and layups. Alabama is known for their 3 point attempt volume, but they also get more shots at the rim than Cal's teams during Oat's tenure.

Reactions: Bluegrassking
Generally speaking mid majors can't recruit enough quality shooter to make a living playing like that. They can have some good games but the bad will pop up. If you have enough quality shooters then even a bad shooting night will allow you to beat an avg opponent.
1) If mid-majors cannot recruit enough quality shooters to play like that, why do they play like that ??
2) If the better teams can recruit more quality shooters, then why aren’t they listed more prominently among the those teams taking the most threes ??
3) What is the likelihood that quality shooters are also adequate defenders ?? To me, that is what will be most interesting to note during the upcoming season. I’ve read that Brea and Kriisa are not known for their defense. I hope this is not the case.

1) If mid-majors cannot recruit enough quality shooters to play like that, why do they play like that ??
2) If the better-known teams can recruit more quality shooters, then why aren’t they listed more prominently among the those taking the most threes ??
3) What is the likelihood that quality shooters are also adequate defenders ?? To me, that is what will be most interesting to note during the upcoming season. I’ve read that Brea and Kriisa are not known for their defense, much like Reeves, Dillingham and Sheppard weren’t. I hope this is not the case … GO CATS !!!

Last edited:
There is an analytical rationale for doing it. But a really good offense should be able to also get some easy buckets at or near the rim. Bama took another step this year because they improved their interior D ANd got to the rim a bit more. It wasn’t 3 or nothing.

Yeah it’s 3 or layup/dunk…best way to play statistically if you have the personnel.

Remember Pitino saying worst shot in basketball is right inside the 3pt line. This strategy just expands that to limit alot of the lower percentage midrange stuff as well.

Last edited:
ADVERTISEMENT
ADVERTISEMENT