ADVERTISEMENT

GYERO

Status
Not open for further replies.
Up late working while catching some of this Baylor game, and man they are good. I’ve never taken a Baylor team serious but these kids can flat out play some ball.

Excellent guard play from Flagler, Butler and some other guy and their bigs are high energy and play smart.

In the words of the great Sidney Dean “these guys are trouble, we could be seeing them in the finals”.

Randos:

- Sixth anniversary of my first date with the wife/babymama tomorrow night. It was a romantic Thursday lunch affair at Currito burritos in downtown Cincy. Back then, I was a rudderless strange-seeking weekend rager with few responsibilities or problems other than getting a ride to my car in Mt. Adams or OTR every Sunday morning. Wasn’t a bad life. Today, I have a wife, 3-month-old baby girl, a golden retriever and two adopted-off-the-streers alley cats in a 131 year old house. Life comes at you fast, fellas.

- Regarding Boston- Murray, Booker and Herro started ice cold too. Just hoping he’s those guys and not Kevin Knox.

- If this goes the way it usually does, we’ll suck for a couple more weeks, have a promising showing against UCLA and then take care of business against the Cards.

- “The Night Before” is a holiday must-watch for me. Cracks me up.

- Also, was surprised by how good the Andy Samburg Hulu movie “Palm Springs” is. Complete Groundhog Day knock off but really funny.

- Picked up some Woodford four grain the other day. Not a bad sipper.

- Hearing May as the “fairly back to normal” date for the ol’ US. That’s something I guess.

- Been thinking back to that December 1990 Kansas game. Roy ran up the score on our probation-ravaged squad in The Phog a year earlier and Rupp was a viper pit full of blood-thirsty maniacs hell bent on revenge. ESPN comes in first thing panning the crowd, zeroing in on some red in a late 80s style flatbill high atop his head holding a “Payback is Hell” sign. Tone was set right then and there. Tonight is a reckoning. In those kinds of games, Rupp is unmatched. And we beat the living piss out of them. The Cats were back and the Kansas Jayhawks, Roy Williams and the NCAA could all get pumped. That ‘91 team started 14-2 with a pair of barnburner three point losses at Indiana and at North Carolina keeping us from being 16-0. Ended the year 22-6 with pride as the only motivation as we were outlawed from the SEC and NCAA tournaments.

- And THAT is why UK fans get so irate about the NCAA ignoring Carolina and Duke’s bullshit. We were humiliated, tarred and feathered, and paid mightily with TV and postseason taken from us.

Last edited:
I'm not sure he would tbh - at least not if he had to deal with the revolving door that Cal does.

I think it is fairly obvious that Few would take the talent upgrade if he could keep the bulk of it to develop. I doubt he would change rosters with Calipari if it was over a five year window.

Over that five years, Few will get more years from talented guys who are awesome at college basketball while in a Gonzaga uniform. Calipari will get more guys whose best basketball is ahead of them.

When the one and done thing started, the general wisdom was that it would work best if you had an established roster and added one or, at most, two ultra-talented sure NBA top 5 picks every year.

Turns out, that was right.

Shew, what a couple of crap weeks for UK fan. Hope we take care of business Saturday night.

Finished the Undoing. Very good, didn’t love the ending, but one of the better shows in a while. Elena🔥🔥🔥

Funny thinking back to Chad 6 years ago. At least we’ll always have the Porsche rides, hot tub, and boat parties. Miss ya buddy.

Smoking a 16lb brisket this weekend, excited.

-I don't have May in me, TBH. 100 million vaccines hitting about the same time that first February spring day teaser shows up. That's it. Will mark the 1 year anniv of most of this nonsense. That's my goal post and I'm holding firm. Don't want to join me on the ride after that, so be it, but 1 year of our life is the breaking point with 1/3 of the country vaccinated and another 1/3 having already been infected. Newspapers and dumbass politicians have until then to keep shaming and blaming normal people, after that f*cks given will be zero.

-BBall:
*Common theory is a few shitty teams to get your feet wet but I'm not buying it. All that shit does is instill fake confidence and foster bad habits. Much rather these young dudes keep getting smacked in the mouth so we get rid of these bad habits. Ill times shots, picking the ball up 1 step over half court, pointless dribbling, no passing, standing around ball watching. Go take some licks and be tough bastards by Jan.

*Boston's skill level is in question and we've seen when things go bad how that can look on even really elite guys. However, I just don't see him being a Knox type. Assertiveness and cajones aren't going to be his problem. He's got confidence in boatloads. Eliminating the bad habits from last year with the Wade/James crew are going to be the issue. Needs to see a couple go down and make better decisions on those drives. Love that he's playing solid d and 3rd best rebounder on the team. Patience with him.

-*Other than some poorly timed shots I like what I've seen from Clarke. Best vision on the team.

*Askew, whoof. Not even Tony Baker can paint that pig. Long way to go. Did Andrew look this bad early on? I know Green did. I don't even think Hagans was this bad. I really like his potential, but man, it seems further off than March.

- @SAECATFAN brought up a point that I've been batting around, "how dumb is it for our fans to be happy about losing to keep Stoops at UK."
1. Very.
2. I've said numerous times I'd love to open this sucker up to the market with our current program. Everything about it is 100x more attractive than 2013.
3. I'm just as intrigued to see where Stoops will take this. It's time for the 3rd act and taking the next step, which is a big one. 6-7 wins aren't going to cut it. Fairly obvious the dude is going to be here a few more year unless a big school gets really desperate. 53 years old heading into year 8. Passing the decade mark will be huge milestone for both. Loads of talent and red shirt depth on the team.

-Lol, one week off working out timed with Thanksgiving week= 8lbs. Chicken breast and broc week. No booze until Friday.

-Stumped on Xmas shopping this year.

-Bush was a pretty lackluster President, aside from post 9/11 stuff which he crushed, but he's been about the best former President of our life. I guess maybe Carter with the H4H stuff could be #1 but I wasn't alive for his presidency.

-Watched the 1996 Championship games at Bonnie & Clydes Pizza with a bunch of friends and fam. Was a hoot.

-At some point the black cloud has to move on.

- Anth- I got that from a PBS podcast. Thinking was we’d have enough vaccinations out at that point to reach 70% and herd immunity by May. I’m hoping we’ll be in a decent spot by February.

- Clarke has disappeared more than being outright shitty. Needs the ball in his hands.

At least we’ll always have the Porsche rides, hot tub, and boat parties.
[laughing] [laughing]

You're a treasure, drxman.

* Picked up a Christmas tree with the lass early this morning at Home Depot. Will decorate it tonight with red wine and Chevy Chase. Like a real American should.

* Did Moab/Arches last year for my birthday, and it was incredible. Got up to Delicate Arch just in time to watch the sunrise, which was magical. A truly great place on earth. And further proof that White Wayne and I are like the exact same guy.

* Buddy/client of mine worked in a local mom-and-pop pharmacy for > 20 years, and took the leap a year ago to start his own place. He's an expert in compounding and very high tech stuff. So, after the initial months and months of panic and struggling and worrying about his brand new business with mountains of debt, now he's getting all kinds of press for being THE place to go in town for the upcoming COVID vaccine. Talk about a break. Pretty sure this thing is going to make him very wealthy.

* I'm no scholar, but I'd say Clinton is the best of our lifetime, so far. Bush is my favorite. Obama is the coolest. Clearly the current goofball is the worst. Not even close.

* McDonald's breakfast is so simple and so automatic. Sausage biscuit. Hash brown. Coffee. (breaking my streak). $4. Tough to beat.

* 42 years old, and I have to deliberately keep an eye on my nose and ear hair. Go more than a few weeks and I've got a jungle growing. FML. Send puppies. Thoughts and prayers requested.

* I'm not gonna hide my raging hard on for Mark Few. His teams are loaded with talent, fun as hell to watch, and what he's accomplished at a tiny Jesuit school in Spokane is amazing. As far as his postseason track record....

15 = E8
16 = S16
17 = National runner-up
18 = S16
19 = E8
20 = n/a
21 = ? (currently ranked #1)

And to repeat = they are fun as hell to watch.

* I'm no anti-vaxxer, but I'm not rushing into taking this one. I feel very comfortable giving it a few months to see how things play out. Let higher priority folks get in line first. Wait to see the side effects. ATKOT.

* Billy Clyde Gillispie is 61.

1524678756-Billy-Gillispie(pre-surgery).jpg

Looks GREAT for his age.

I'm not sure he would tbh - at least not if he had to deal with the revolving door that Cal does.

That's the thing. I think Few would be able to convince a lot of these players who leave too early to stick around for 2, 3 and even 4 years.

With better talent to start with, he would have more than one Final Four.

Cal's recruiting would be perfect IF he successfully attempted to keep some of these fringe pros and 1-year transfers around another couple of years.

But that is a big IF he needs to fix. I'm not going into full Chumps Faar Cal mode yet like many of you seem to be, but the toucher needs to stop being so stubborn and make some changes.

The inherent problem with Cal’s recruiting strategy (and Coach K’s), if every year you have a purge and need to fill every roster spot - you are depending on getting the cream of the crop every year. Fine.

But what if the entire crop sucks. Like last year. See the NBA draft 2020. It was terrible.

We can get 4-5 guys in the top 30, but when the entire class stinks, we are left celebrating a top recruiting class but quickly realize these guys suck. All of them.

10 years ago, Cal was the ONLY guy in the entire country openly recruiting one-and-dones. He got to hand pick his team. Now, there's 300 other schools fighting over the same players. That's your difference.

10 years ago, Cal was the ONLY guy in the entire country openly recruiting one-and-dones. He got to hand pick his team. Now, there's 300 other schools fighting over the same players. That's your difference.

Yep. I remember nobody else wanting to TOUCH John Wall and Demarcus Cousins coming out of high school. They'd have probably gone JuCo if Cal hadn't thrown them a line.

[eyeroll] [eyeroll] [eyeroll]

Everyone wanted those players....

......to come to Duke/UNC/Kansas/etc and stick around for 3 years.

Which is why you need to get the players to stay who have no business leaving early.

And it isn't just the ones going pro.

We all knew the Juzangs, Matthews and Bakers were going to need a year or 2 before they developed into 30+ minute players. Yet they and their handlers decided they couldn't/shouldn't wait. And the dumb thing is, I suspect Baker and Juzang would be getting all the minutes they want this year.

Cal HAS to find a way to get some of these guys to stick around or this never-ending cycle will never get better.

I have a theory that there was a generational shift and it occurred around 2016-2017. I don't know what those kids will be called but the cut off is for kids born after 1998. As all shifts there is always a gray area but kids born post 1999 just seem to be cut from a different cloth than those before.

Reactions: Hankshaker
What I find infuriating is these role players transferring to another school only to play pretty much the exact same role he would have had at UK if they stayed. It's not like Juzang and Baker played bad minutes for a typical freshman player.

I love getting frustratingly pissed at things I have zero control over.......

When you recruit openly to make dreams happen, brag about secondary contracts, being built different, yada yada yada, those 3-4 year kids think they're a failure when few elite kids blow by and bolt to the league.

The genie is already out of the bottle. Unless your roster is LOADED with elite talent, you won't be able to convince the 4-5* recruits with limited NBA upside (Briscoe) to hang around and play it out.

The RESET button is inevitable until the rules are changed. Lightning in a bottle ala Florida 2006/2007 isn't walking through that door.

...and people are sick of the RESET button. *Especially* in 2015 when everything was actually there for you to cash in -- and you choked. What else do you need?

Bad basketball, lack of ELITE ELITE ELITE talent, roster turnover, zero continuity, archaic offensive system, mouthy ass coach who lectures the fanbase like we don't effing get it -- STFU, Cal. The product is horrible enough without being talked down to.

Last edited:
Adrian’s assessment of how pissed Allen’s parents have to be is spot on. Crushing a kid for a mistake is fine if it’s consistent across the board. It’s not. Cal takes all his frustrations out on the kids not projected to go lottery. It’s pee wee league daddy ball bullshit.

I have a theory that there was a generational shift and it occurred around 2016-2017. I don't know what those kids will be called but the cut off is for kids born after 1998. As all shifts there is always a gray area but kids born post 1999 just seem to be cut from a different cloth than those before.
Not everyone can be built from the same stout stuff as the Greatest Generation. And by that I mean Generation X, of course.

Status
Not open for further replies.
ADVERTISEMENT
ADVERTISEMENT